Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Vhak lord of hate posted:

Strong smart confident Elliott was an rear end in a top hat who nobody liked, Scrubs didn't need more of those.

Scrubs could seriously become exhausting to watch when every character was in rear end in a top hat mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Drighton posted:

Same. Reminds me of smart, strong, confident Elliott on Scrubs. I think that lasted just a few episodes before she did a 180 and became the complete opposite and putting her foot in her mouth all the time.

yeah but scrubs loving sucked

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

ashpanash posted:

Fact: in 100% of all fake gun shootings, the victim is always the one with the fake gun.

Would that this hoodie were a time hoodie...

If you decide to conspire with everyone, you're not really conspiring. You're just... doing random crap.

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

Toxxupation posted:

gently caress SCRUBS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYDCc48heqE

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Toxxupation posted:

i just rewatched all of (non-med school) scrubs and

1) Tom Cavanagh is incredible in it (when he shows up)

2) JD is unbearable

3) I liked the interns in that last season and wish the show had been about them instead.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Dr. Kelso and the Janitor were consistently the best thing about Scrubs.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

El Tortuga posted:

Dr. Kelso and the Janitor were consistently the best thing about Scrubs.

:agreed: but i did enjoy Cox when the writing was up to snuff.

and the musical still owns

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Turk was the best.

Also, Scrubs is worthless unless you're watching it with the original soundtrack. The drat home releases (and Netflix) feature objectively worse music.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

i just rewatched all of (non-med school) scrubs and

1) Tom Cavanagh is incredible in it (when he shows up)

2) JD is unbearable

3) I liked the interns in that last season and wish the show had been about them instead.

The turnaround in quality for season eight was amazing, you gotta respect it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Yeah S8 was incredibly solid (that's what I meant by "last season") and I remember liking Med School when it aired - I should watch it next.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's kinda sad, because season 8 only worked because they knew they were done and it was the last original cast season, so they were allowed to take all the characters away from what they'd been for 7 seasons and progress into new stages of their lives and become much more mature.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

MikeJF posted:

It's kinda sad, because season 8 only worked because they knew they were done and it was the last original cast season, so they were allowed to take all the characters away from what they'd been for 7 seasons and progress into new stages of their lives and become much more mature.

Yeah 8 was good overall, but it was still slightly marred by HEY EVERYBODY PACK UP THE HOSPITAL, SCRUBS ARE GOING TO HAWAII! *luau music*

edit: Whoops okay it was the Bahamas, but still, it reeks of sitcom "special vacation episode!!" desperation.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jun 13, 2015

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Dr_Amazing posted:

Scrubs could seriously become exhausting to watch when every character was in rear end in a top hat mode.

I don't remember if it was season 5 or 6, but there was an episode where JD is homeless, Carla wants to kill her child, and Elliott decides to be an rear end in a top hat to both because they didn't congratulate her enough on a new job.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I think a problem with Scrubs was all the forced "emotional" moments. I'm pretty sure they even make fun of JD trying to force stuff like that, but they still did it...a lot. Some worked, like Dr. Cox flipping out because he overzealously killed some of those patients with those rabies-infected organs or the Sesame Street episode ending, but a lot of times it just seemed like "If we put sensitive indie music under this and have the characters making serious faces this is gold".

joepinetree posted:

I don't remember if it was season 5 or 6, but there was an episode where JD is homeless, Carla wants to kill her child, and Elliott decides to be an rear end in a top hat to both because they didn't congratulate her enough on a new job.

Oh yeah, as obnoxious as JD is they sometimes made the other characters so hateful toward him it was tough to find it funny.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Count me as another one who preferred early Britta. Or at least late season 1/season 2 Britta when she has more goofy elements but isn't a total fuckwad. The minute "DUH-DOY!" became her catchphrase they lost me a little.

Also man I seriously don't know that any show this decade has been funnier than the first 3 seasons of Community. You really can tell how much Dan worked everyone to the bone to make every scene work and every line as funny as possible. Even Parks which I love to bits is very mild comedically compared to this.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Thumbtacks posted:

gently caress me i might actually tear up

did :(

I started when Abed spoke about Troy sailing of with Burton.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 13, 2015

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Everything comes down to poo~

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^^ this is why people who say the musical episode of Scrubs is good are wrong

the Cox one rules though

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Wait, where is episode 10? Did I miss something?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Bown posted:

the Cox one rules though

Everything Comes Down To Poo is a fantastic song. So is The Rant Song. So is Guy Love, and When The Truth Comes Out.

But by far, the best song is "For The Last Time I'm Dominican".

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

MikeJF posted:

Man, one thing I really miss about the early seasons is Britta being able to match Jeff in verbal sparring and instantly calling all of his bullshit.

Yeah, Britta they kind of wrote progressively worse over time. Peaking (bottoming?) with her making GBS threads herself in s6.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

In It For The Tank posted:

Turk was the best.

Also, Scrubs is worthless unless you're watching it with the original soundtrack. The drat home releases (and Netflix) feature objectively worse music.

Wait, they replaced the soundtrack after the fact? That's dumb. Why would they do that, it had one of the best soundtracks around?

Of note: apparently Sarah Chalke chose most of the music.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

kayakyakr posted:

How is that "of note"? A monkey throwing darts at the billboard top 100 could put together a better soundtrack than most shows. The problem is, and always has been, licensing.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

kayakyakr posted:

Wait, they replaced the soundtrack after the fact? That's dumb. Why would they do that, it had one of the best soundtracks around?

Yeah, for the first three seasons they had difficulty licensing some of the music used in the original TV broadcast for the home release. They had to use different music and I think it's always worse. Most digital versions (iTunes, Netflix) uses the altered soundtracks.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

This happened with the title theme of Married... with Children and it sucks.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Irish Joe posted:

How is that "of note"? A monkey throwing darts at the billboard top 100 could put together a better soundtrack than most shows. The problem is, and always has been, licensing.

It's noteworthy because most shows' music is chosen in post production by the director or someone in the production team. In Scrubs, the music was chosen by the actors or pretty much anyone else involved in the show, and most often that was Sarah Chalke. Thought it was a neat turn.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Bown posted:

the Cox one rules though

Musicals suck in general, and this was no exception.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

The cast singing "Waiting for My Real Life to Begin" at the end of My Philosophy was really good though.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

mastajake posted:

This happened with the title theme of Married... with Children and it sucks.

Holy poo poo. It's loving horrific.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Beeez posted:

Listen to this streets behind schmitty.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

kayakyakr posted:

I think you mean Christa Miller, Bill Lawrence's RL wife and Jorderoo on Scrubs. I know I read that somewhere.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I've read the same thing about Zach Braff. I think it's safe to say "the actors" at this point.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

kayakyakr posted:

You think that's dumb? The home release of the first season of Community has the edited versions of the episodes where several scenes have been cut short.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

It's even worse than that. Everytime an episode had any kind of licensed song playing they just straight up cut it out using the shittiest editing equipment available. No substitution, no ambient noise added. All those montages, makeover or otherwise, are without spirit now :smith:

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Beeez posted:

I've heard it both ways: the right way and then yours.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Sighence posted:

I've heard it both ways: the right way and then yours.

If only I had written it into a musical so my opinion could be obscured by appallingly unfunny jokes and overacting.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

You think that's dumb? The home release of the first season of Community has the edited versions of the episodes where several scenes have been cut short.

They've also removed some music from Community in the home releases and probably digital releases too. They played a Surfer Blood song in the season one finale at the prom that isn't in the DVD release.

Trust me, my DVR goes back a loong way ;)

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

That is... wow, that is terrible. So I guess I can say that I learned today that there is a market for composers who can translate an iconic theme song into something that's just different enough that it doesn't break copyright.

Also, this is still the only theme song Married with Children needs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a2wEMeKJ7g

Steve Vader posted:

I think you mean Christa Miller, Bill Lawrence's RL wife and Jorderoo on Scrubs. I know I read that somewhere.

This may be the case. I coulda sworn it was Chalke, but it could have been her too. It was one of the women on the show for sure who contributed around 80% of it.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Beeez posted:

If only I had written it into a musical so my opinion could be obscured by appallingly unfunny jokes and overacting.

So did you like Scrubs or not, then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Is there any definitive list out there about what's been cut? This makes me really sad :(

• Locked thread