Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MySwan
Jan 7, 2015
Ok, so i finished a script and have some money saved up, and I want it animated. I'm new to this and don't know what the next step is. Here are some specific questions:

1) I would like it done Babycakes style, with a voice over stills. What is that style called?
2) Where should i look for an animator/drawer? Craiglist? My local coffee shop?
3) How does the payment for these things work? What would be a good initial offer? Do I ask for a portfolio first? Are things like character design a separate thing? How do i avoid scammers? What are some general etiquette for this situation?
4) What is a good program for me to assemble the whole thing when I get it done?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
I'm looking to get some holes drilled into some sheet metal that's about maybe 1/4 of an inch thick. Are there any hardware store chains in the US like Lowes or Menards that will do this for you?

E:

Nm found experts that do it called sheet metal fabricators.

Al Borland fucked around with this message at 08:28 on May 28, 2015

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
The real Al Borland would have known that, impostor.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I used Painter a long time ago before Corel bought it and I remember the Simple Water tool as being my favorite brush. Is there anything much much cheaper than Corel Painter which has a brush that behaves similarly? I have Sketchbook Pro, which is great, and I also tried out Krita, but none of the brushes in those programs blend the way I remember that tool did.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Argue posted:

I used Painter a long time ago before Corel bought it and I remember the Simple Water tool as being my favorite brush. Is there anything much much cheaper than Corel Painter which has a brush that behaves similarly? I have Sketchbook Pro, which is great, and I also tried out Krita, but none of the brushes in those programs blend the way I remember that tool did.

LOL welcome to the world of people who are still mourning Painter 6.

Try Manga Studio 5 aka CLIP Studio Paint. It has a really nice just-add-water blender.

Padawan
Nov 27, 2014

Is there a website/service that I should go to for getting posters printed? I want a few anime posters. Can I just go to a local printing shop with a high-res image or is there a website that has a large collection with solid quality prints and sizes? I'm in Canada if it helps in anyway.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've jumped onto Adobe CC, but found out it'd be cheaper to charge my UK card in USD, so have signed up using a US address that it's not registered to (but it's an address that's legit, and I have access to). It seemed to go through OK, anyone know if there was a problem with the payment side would it have bounced me straight away, or should I give it 24-48 hours to make sure everything has gone through fine first?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
So after a bit of a tour of major museums I've really decided I want to kick my own rear end into gear and learn some form of art, but beyond that to pick one and just stick at it and practice frequently. Get actually good at something. The biggest problem I have is figuring out really what I should look into. Where I live there's a lot of opportunities to learn various types of art but it all tends to be a little expensive to get into. I'm curious if anyone could share their experiences with various media, particularly things that aren't digital/drawing/painting or offer some advice? It's a pretty broad question, I know, which is why I'd just like to find some perspectives.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
Try ceramics. You can take a class at anywhere from universities to community colleges to rec centers to local art spaces. It's super super fun and a great medium to play around in because it has an extremely low skill barrier. You can do anything with clay, it's one of the most versatile art forms and working with your hands is very satisfying. Plus it's very practical and you can walk away with some functional cups, dishes, and pots that you'll have for the rest of your life!

There are two general flavors of ceramics, hand building and wheel throwing. Both are awesome but I personally prefer wheel throwing. It's not nearly as difficult as it looks and produces really nice results.

Oh and then there's glazing which is its own whole world of complicated chemistry and mad science. Experimenting with different glazes is the best part for many people.

Anyway long story short try pottery because it rules. It has some downsides though. It's messy, requires some dedicated space, and can require some special equipment and tools like access to a kiln. A beginners class somewhere will have everything you need though so I'd start there.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I've jumped onto Adobe CC, but found out it'd be cheaper to charge my UK card in USD, so have signed up using a US address that it's not registered to (but it's an address that's legit, and I have access to). It seemed to go through OK, anyone know if there was a problem with the payment side would it have bounced me straight away, or should I give it 24-48 hours to make sure everything has gone through fine first?

Pretty sure it's instantaneous. When I last set up a CC account I was up and running immediately after I clicked the submit button on the payment page.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I think it's all gone through fine, the only thing I didn't have yesterday was an entry in billing history which said it might take up to 24 hours, and that's all there now.

So if you're a Brit and want to save a bit of cash on Adobe, just say you're American and pay in USD on a good card (i.e. not Paypal, it'll probably cost you more).

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Anony Mouse posted:

Try ceramics.

Ceramics actually super appeals to me (I love stuff like this), but glazing is one of the things I find really interesting. I should definitely look into a class. I also found a local class on Sashiko stitchwork I may give a try since it's cheap.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
My dad's about to retire, and I'd like to get him a couple nice paintbrushes. It'd be for oil on canvas, and quick googling shows hog and sable are preferred natural-fiber brushes; does anyone have a preferred brand?

Thanks!
VVV

Arcella fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jun 3, 2015

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Arcella posted:

My dad's about to retire, and I'd like to get him a couple nice paintbrushes. It'd be for oil on canvas, and quick googling shows hog and sable are preferred natural-fiber brushes; does anyone have a preferred brand?

Well if you are going all out, Raphael and Winsor Newton make some of the best brushes in my opinion. Also, I've heard good things about http://www.rosemaryandco.com/ but I've never bought brushes from them so I can't vouch for it. Might be worth investigating.

Keep in mind, it doesn't really pay to use very expensive sables with oil (like say Winsor Newton's Professional Series No 7. Kolinsky Brushes) because oil solvents are pretty harsh on them.

If you are going to buy a very expensive brush, go for natural stiff bristle (hog). Then you can buy some of the more medium priced sables or even synthetics (from the nicer companies the synthetics aren't that far off from sable) for detail work/smooth blending that the bristle isn't suited for. That way when the sables get worn out it won't sting as much. The bristle on the other hand should last a long drat time if well cared for.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 3, 2015

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

neonnoodle posted:

You might try getting some of those empty barrel markers that you fill with your own pigment and fill them with either liquid acrylic or with fluid acrylic cut with airbrush medium. Don't try to dilute with too much water only (they say only up to 30% water in an acrylic mixture) or you might not get a good bond to the surface.

Or, you know, use a sharpie.

Thank you!

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe
Writing question: I'm having a hard time finding a good way to convince my coworkers that randomly injecting memes & references into a story is neither good writing nor actually funny - We're making an adventure game, I'm writing it, and I'm getting tired of having to repeatedly tell them that, no, I'm not going to have our 1920s mafioso characters shout out stupid poo poo like "IT'S A TRAP". Does anyone have any advice or articles they can point me to that break down exactly *why* relying on memes and references is a bad, dumb idea?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Correnth posted:

Writing question: I'm having a hard time finding a good way to convince my coworkers that randomly injecting memes & references into a story is neither good writing nor actually funny - We're making an adventure game, I'm writing it, and I'm getting tired of having to repeatedly tell them that, no, I'm not going to have our 1920s mafioso characters shout out stupid poo poo like "IT'S A TRAP". Does anyone have any advice or articles they can point me to that break down exactly *why* relying on memes and references is a bad, dumb idea?

...If they don't understand it as is, I don't know how much help articles would be...

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Fun Shoe

PerrineClostermann posted:

...If they don't understand it as is, I don't know how much help articles would be...

They're logical enough people, I just have a really hard time articulating my standpoint on the matter without devolving into "that's stupid, you're stupid, lemmelonegottawrite". It'd be nice to have some starting points on how to phrase this better.

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011
Relying on pop culture references will cause your game to become dated very fast. They're easy jokes to make and don't require any thought, and a few years from now no one will even understand them.

Part of Pixar's philosophy is to avoid pop culture references. You might be able to Google that and find something more in-depth.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The point of referencing in general is to connect with the audience by leveraging existing culture cache. You essentially ride the coattails of an existing joke in order to endear yourself to an audience. But this has built in negatives. You automatically exclude the huge portion of people who are ALREADY sick of the joke bring referenced as well as the people who NEVER liked the referenced joke to begin with.

You also run the very real risk of being seen as appropriating a piece of culture that is seen by fans as homemade and grassroots. Memes in particular are earned comedy: if you are an individual everyman who posts on forums and gets nerd jokes, then you can use them. If you are a company selling something, the internet will never really warm to you appropriating its culture for your own gain.

Simply referencing a meme is the comedy equivalent of someone dressing up like Frank Sinatra and getting up on stage and trying to replicate Frank Sinatra's singing voice and singing the same songs as him. Sinatra fans won't really dig it because this guy isn't really Sinatra, he's just an imposter and people who already hate Sinatra will hate the fake even more. Our worse, they won't even care and will never think about him ever again.

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the advice, sincerely; I feel like it will all come in handy down the line.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Not sure where best to ask this but I don't think it will be totally inappropriate here. I'm looking for a starter video camera to record myself playing drums. Right now I'm using my dad's Canon Rebel T3i, which works OK for what I need.

I'm recording audio separately so all I care about is the video quality, which I would like at 60fps. If that means dropping down to 720p that's OK. And it should have a standard tripod threaded mount but pretty much everything would have that right? Any brands/models I can start looking at for comparison? I could probably drop around $200 on this.

\/\/\/ Nevermind then.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 11, 2015

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Ooops, wrong thread.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Does anyone here have any experience with selling stock photos? I have this gigantic catalog of automotive photos, from nearly every manufacturer, interior and exterior high res. Someone must have a need for that type of poo poo right? I checked out Getty and it seems to not accept automotive photos at all.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Bojanglesworth posted:

Does anyone here have any experience with selling stock photos? I have this gigantic catalog of automotive photos, from nearly every manufacturer, interior and exterior high res. Someone must have a need for that type of poo poo right? I checked out Getty and it seems to not accept automotive photos at all.
other stock sites that exist:

corbis, alamy, thinkstock, 123rf, veer (owned by corbis), superstock, istock, dreamstime, 500px.
I think flickr is doing selling now?

Do you hold the rights to license out these photos?

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Defenestration posted:

other stock sites that exist:

corbis, alamy, thinkstock, 123rf, veer (owned by corbis), superstock, istock, dreamstime, 500px.
I think flickr is doing selling now?

Do you hold the rights to license out these photos?

Great, I will check those out!

I do hold the rights to the photos. Would be cool to make some money off of them

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah Istockphoto and shutterstock are the two other big ones you'll want to try.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

What's a good and simple photo editing app for an iPad ? I normally use gimp photo editing when I'm using a pc or laptop.

I'm not good at using these programs just yet so I basically use them for really simple things like resizing photos or adding text or making minor changes to colors or whatever. Basically right now I want to make a new avatar and it's going to require some resizing and color editing very basic stuff but I would like to keep using the program.

Also I have never used a tablet for drawing but I would like to get started. What's a decent stylus for other drawing tool for a beginner that will let me practice drawing and stuff but is affordable and easy to use? I love drawing with pens and pencils but I have zero experience using digital drawing programs.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah Istockphoto and shutterstock are the two other big ones you'll want to try.

Getty owns iStock.

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011

Ferrule posted:

Getty owns iStock.

I went to buy a quite average looking photo off getty the other day and it was priced at $2,500. Who is buying that stuff?

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

raging bullwinkle posted:

I went to buy a quite average looking photo off getty the other day and it was priced at $2,500. Who is buying that stuff?

You'd be surprised. I do a lot of package design design work (consumer goods) and this happens constantly. Can't have two different laundry detergents using the same mountain image.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

You're not just buying the photo, you're buying the rights to use the photo in your commercial applications, which may involve making money for yourself.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

I always double check that a photo I want off Getty isn't also on iStock. Doesn't happen often, but I've found the same file on the cheaper site a few times and saved a ton of money.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Takes No Damage posted:

I'm recording audio separately so all I care about is the video quality, which I would like at 60fps. If that means dropping down to 720p that's OK. And it should have a standard tripod threaded mount but pretty much everything would have that right? Any brands/models I can start looking at for comparison? I could probably drop around $200 on this.

Gopro hero + accessories? I believe it does 720p 60fps.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
nvm

goodness fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 23, 2015

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
Can someone who has illustrator or photoshop open this file and save it as something I can open in inkscape or gimp?

http://www.12inchskinz.com/akai-apc-40-skinz_custom/

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

philkop posted:

Can someone who has illustrator or photoshop open this file and save it as something I can open in inkscape or gimp?

http://www.12inchskinz.com/akai-apc-40-skinz_custom/

You can open a .psd in GIMP.

Edit: Just realized it's in CMYK. You can open that with IrfanView and convert it into something GIMP can read.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 25, 2015

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
Given a man a fishing pole. Thanks!

drat, it has some instructional message on what looks to be a layer one could easily remove with photoshop. Unfortunately, it doesn't look I can non destructively convert this even with irfanview.

philkop fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 25, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

philkop posted:

Given a man a fishing pole. Thanks!

drat, it has some instructional message on what looks to be a layer one could easily remove with photoshop. Unfortunately, it doesn't look I can non destructively convert this even with irfanview.

Just noticed that IrfanView doesn't handle layers. You have 2 options - use ImageMagick to convert to RGB color space and import into GIMP as normal, or do your work in pixlr, which handles CMYK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but w/e! I'm looking to commission a simplified/stylized vector of a dumb warhammer thing so I can get it printed onto a shirt. What kind of price should I be offering and where do I even look for artists? I was gona post in SA mart but I don't feel comfortable with the commission style in there. I don't like the idea of having multiple people do your commission and then you pay one :( This wont be used for any commercial stuff I just want a cool/dumb nerd shirt.