Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

Sorites posted:

Is there any roguelike where the BUC system ties to the alignment system? Say, a lawful character sees:

* Blessed gloves
* Blessed hat
* Cursed fireproof greased partially-eaten chickatrice corpse

But if she converts to chaotic, now the gloves and hat are cursed and the rubber chicken is blessed?

It would stand to reason that a blessing by the enemy deity is a curse in your hands. But it'd be a painful system to balance and implement, for sure.

Don't know of one.

It would be interesting to see a pantheon-specific bless/curse system -- or just have your god's bless/curse feelings toward a thing matter and changing religion would cause those all to possibly change.

The former would be super-difficult to manage. You pick up a spear that one god has blessed and two have cursed -- what does that mean for you?
If none of those gods is your god or your god's nemesis, does that mean that you're essentially unaffected or does it mean that on the whole it's going to be worse off? Do they stack up? I can imagine a system where the BUC status only comes into play when a strongly-aligned god has a hand in it. Like some random god (not yours or your enemies) cursing your spear means nothing to you, but if you go up against a follower of that god then it becomes a liability.

Seems like you would need to implement a bunch more systems.
High faith gives you a notice that you're being screwed with: "You feel your blow being deflected by the power of Melkor!"
High perception might give you a hint during combat about an enemy's religion upon 'L'ooking at him? "He seems to be wearing a holy symbol to Melkor."

Alternatively, there are racial restrictions and class restrictions that you could extend upon for faiths. DnD did it.
"You finish eating the chicken and feel the disapproval of your god, Cluckor, Lord of Small Rocks!"

Edit: And my nonsense musings are now the top of a new page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Check out how Incursion did religion. You had conflicting codes of conducts for the gods which would simultaneously raise and lower your piety with multiple gods, each of them had different things that they liked/dislikes and ways they would act when you gained favour or angered one.

The're pretty complicated, here's one example:

quote:

ERICH {ER}
God of Chivalry, Honor and Social Hierarchy
Domination, Guardian, Law, Nobility, Protection, War. The Light Lance. Adamant Items.
Erich is a deceptively honest diety, for though he stands proudly amidst the ranks of the Pantheon of Light, he is at his core as evil as any horror spawned by the Sorcery Wars. Erich's most commonly preached teachings include moral rigor and honesty in war -- he is the patron of knights, and demands support of one's nation unto death, absolute obedience to one's liege, the defense of the innocent from creatures of darkness and the exposure of any and all hidden sins to the Light of Day. Yet, his theology also demands unquestioning obedience to authority, the willingness to commit the blackest acts in service to a higher power and the advancement of nobility, militarism and commerce at the expense of the common man -- essentially, Erich is the god of fascism.
All men are not born equal in Erich's eyes -- one's social station is determined at birth, and attempting to question that order is among the greatest crime one can commit. Peasants exist to perform manual labour and die on the fields of war, and any attempt to transcend that station must be punished with a painful death. For a priest of Erich to even speak to a commoner, let alone support them, is viewed by the church as a sin. Erich's theology calls the Good-Evil alignment axis the 'peasant morals', and is based almost entirely upon the Law-Chaos axis. A disturbing number of paladins revere Erich, at least until their theology comes into conflict with their alignment requirement and they must choose between Erich and Good.
Erich's holy symbol is a stylized iron scepter. He is Lawful Evil, though neither he nor his priests fully comprehend this fact. His clerics may be of any Lawful alignment -- many are Good, emphasizing the honesty, chivalry and nobility aspects of his portfolio. His weapon of choice is the light lance, and his Domains are Domination, Guardian, Law, Nobility, Protection and War. He appreuciates the offerings of the bodies of ignoble enemies (chaotic thinking beings or unnatural beasts) slain in fair combat. Followers of Erich can always claim the right of hospitality, sleeping in a castle or lordly manor, resting the night without cost. Erich is a demanding and inflexible god, but has been known to reward his most honorable followers lavishly, even lending out powerful magical weapons and armor.
Worship: Erich accepts the sacrifice of dragons, beasts, chaotic demihumans and evil outsiders (which must be live-sacrified, since they do not leave corpses). He is gravely offended by the sacrifice of goblinoids, since he considers them to be vermin; their extermination is a chore, not an accomplishment worthy of chivalrous accord. Cowing enemies earns favor with him, however; he considers it part of the enforcement of the Natural Order of the world.
He places a very strict code of conduct upon his followers: they must not be craven (by being afraid, or by skulking in the shadows), nor may they use poison, utilize base trickery such as distractions or fast-talking or surrender -- especially not to base creatures. They may not enlist the aid of non-demihumans, especially not goblinoids, chaotics or evil outsiders, nor may they attempt to resolve their differences peacefully with such creatures. Finally, unlawful acts in general offend Erich, and his followers must always follow the code of chivalry, even when unmounted and unarmored.
Goblinoids are not considered people in Erich's theology, and thus certain strictures are lifted when fighting them: they may be attacked while fleeing, poisoned or defeated with base trickery. In Erich's cosmology, the ideals of chivalry and law apply only to humans, demihumans and similarly refined creatures. Note that Erich's worldview does not influence a worshipper's objective alignment, only their standing with Erich.
Blessings: Erich will heal, ease hunger or smite enemies for any follower. More loyal servants find that he will (in order of increasing favor) purify the body, remove fatigue, identify weapons, armor and shields, lift curses, replace lost Spellbooks, replenish mana and even raise the dead.
Erich's more permanent blessings include courage and protection from treacherous attacks, skill at horsemanship, landkeeping and cowing the peasantry, the ability to conjure a phantom steed and a fearsome warcry.

This god will gently caress You Up if you worship him and break the code of conduct.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

I was thinking of something way simpler. Imagine, say, ADoM, with its straight lawful-neutral-chaotic alignment spectrum. Except remove the "neutral god" altogether, just to keep things simple.

I'd imagine more-lawful-than-midpoint characters seeing BUC one way, and more-chaotic-than-midpoint characters seeing it backward. So if you had an all-blessed kit and then crossed the alignment midpoint, suddenly all your poo poo behaves as cursed because it's aligned to the Great Enemy. And vice-versa, of course.

Sorites fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 12, 2015

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
:shepspends: Important Steam notice :shepspends:

Necrodancer, Rogue Legacy, and Risk of Rain (a decent rogue like action game) are on flash sales for 50, 80, and 75 percent off respectively.

Finally get to play Necrodancer.....woot.

Also, loving Eldritch. Thanks Grimwit for letting me watch a good lp on it to finally help me make up mind on it.

Prices Fixed - Thanks Senrath.

:doh: Derp. :doh: Sorry bout that.

mauman fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 12, 2015

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

You have Necrodancer and Rogue Legacy's discounts swapped.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Appearance is no longer a completely worthless stat in ADOM. Higher appearance makes it take more corruption points before you get a new mutation, lower appearance makes it take less. Still not a super important stat, though.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Having the shopkeepers be racist and sexist is actually kind of refreshing. There's some verisimilitude for you.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
I picked up Darkest Dungeon yesterday, but I'm quite tempted to grab Necrodancer since it seems unlikely to go much lower. I'm seriously considering Titan Souls, though it's not a roguelike

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

ADOM Ultra-Ending Attempts Episode 3

Roonerspism
Nov 12, 2010
Let's Play Doom: The Roguelike

Ultra-Violence difficulty, Angel of Impatience attempts
Episode AoI 2: No Time for Arachnophobia

I go find a weapon that we haven't touched for a while. Oh look - it's covered in cobwebs and I have to fight off some nasty little things for it, crikey.

After rewatching, I remembered about my message colouring so here's a note on it - I'm a big idiot, and most of my DoomRL skill comes from my hands and my gut rather than my stupid head. Having all game messages displayed in black and white made them all blur together to me and resulted in errors: "There must be a better way!", I found myself calling out to nobody.

That's when I added a bunch of lines to the end of my config.lua file to add some colour in to my DoomRL messages and back in to my monochrome infomercial life. If you play DoomRL, I highly recommend adding these lines to your Messages table at the end of config.lua:

My message colour settings

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Did someone order a cleanup in

Joe Moppin' goes out on the town and finds mops, mittens, and mildew in:

Episode 1: Man isn't the real monster

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

My current Cataclysm character is rapidly evolving into a hybrid of a STALKER protagonist and Adam Jensen and I still give MOOSE a wide berth whenever possible. Rough luck.

Also, I'm surprised you didn't push your luck and go for the ice cream cart. A mobile loot chest is certainly useful.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Death by Moose. :allears: Working as intended.

I'm having way too much fun with this game, even if I'm afraid of playing without the Slow Zombies mod, which basically neutered them.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

A Carebear Plays A Roguelike Suggestion Box

Okay folks, here's the deal. I love this thread, I really do, and I love the *idea* of roguelikes - procedurally generated slaughterhouses that are equally punishing and entertaining. I get how that might be thrilling for some people.. but it ain't my cup of tea, not normally. I enjoy watching other people die horribly from their stupid mistakes - but I'm a total carebear. I'm the kind of schmuck that always plays on easiest difficulty even in notoriously easy games. I'm the kind of dickhead who has even resorted to cheating a few times to experience the story at the expense of gameplay. I'm the kind of arsehole who looks at ASCII graphics and can barely keep it together while his brain melts into a puddle of hashes and ampersands.

I'm exactly the kind of person who should not be playing roguelikes.

So, with that in mind, I'm going to play one completely blind. There will be carnage, there will be screaming and frustration, there will probably be threats of mortal injury leveled at not just the people who designed said game but everyone who gave them their cup of coffee in the morning or cuts their grass. It's hopefully going to be entertaining, though even if it isn't particularly entertaining for ME.
Please suggest to me some roguelikes for me to die horribly in, I'll pick one, play it until I really can't take it anymore (there is absolutely zero likelihood of me actually winning), and I'll pick another one. Maybe I'll put it in a different thread to stop me from making GBS threads all over this one if you guys prefer.

Be gentle.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Gentle? How about Dredmor, that eases you in...

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

anilEhilated posted:

Gentle? How about Dredmor, that eases you in...

Yeah, Dredmor isn't as rough as other games, but the standard mode is quite grindy, long and a chore in general. The No Time to Grind mode, albeit far more shorter, is generally considered more difficult due to lower amount of drops and items.

Another option is Dungeonmans, I've recenlty picked it up, and is quite fun and easy to get into.

Roonerspism posted:

Let's Play Doom: The Roguelike

Ultra-Violence difficulty, Angel of Impatience attempts
Episode AoI 2: No Time for Arachnophobia

I really enjoy these updates, I've downloaded DoomRL again and my gameplay has improved quite a bit thanks to your videos, but I'm still mediocre though. I've just finished my most succesful run ever, having killed the Cyber Demon and Angel of Death without taking a scratch, I died abruptly in the Vaults, when my cybernetic armor broke and discovered it's downside, fighting a swarm of arachnotrons with a cursed broken armor is rough, even with berzerk and the longinus spear. What a loving deathtrap.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Espilae posted:

Okay folks, here's the deal. I love this thread, I really do, and I love the *idea* of roguelikes - procedurally generated slaughterhouses that are equally punishing and entertaining. I get how that might be thrilling for some people.. but it ain't my cup of tea, not normally. I enjoy watching other people die horribly from their stupid mistakes - but I'm a total carebear. I'm the kind of schmuck that always plays on easiest difficulty even in notoriously easy games. I'm the kind of dickhead who has even resorted to cheating a few times to experience the story at the expense of gameplay. I'm the kind of arsehole who looks at ASCII graphics and can barely keep it together while his brain melts into a puddle of hashes and ampersands.

So, with that in mind, I'm going to play one completely blind. There will be carnage, there will be screaming and frustration, there will probably be threats of mortal injury leveled at not just the people who designed said game but everyone who gave them their cup of coffee in the morning or cuts their grass. It's hopefully going to be entertaining, though even if it isn't particularly entertaining for ME.
Please suggest to me some roguelikes for me to die horribly in, I'll pick one, play it until I really can't take it anymore (there is absolutely zero likelihood of me actually winning), and I'll pick another one. Maybe I'll put it in a different thread to stop me from making GBS threads all over this one if you guys prefer.

Be gentle.

Crypt of the NecroDancer is weighted heavily towards the skill end of the spectrum, there's very little of the usual roguelike randomness that could end your life very quickly.

Honestly though, my suggestion would be Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Brogue, perhaps? It's ASCII (though I think there are tiles for it), but also has an easy mode that makes you take less damage and stuff.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

play nethack without spoilers. i want to see how far someone can get without any.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

play nethack without spoilers. i want to see how far someone can get without any.

Please do this, it would be amazing :allears:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

bathroomrage posted:

Crypt of the NecroDancer is weighted heavily towards the skill end of the spectrum, there's very little of the usual roguelike randomness that could end your life very quickly.

Honestly though, my suggestion would be Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup.

isnt that game really hard

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

As a video LP with live commentary so we can watch your reactions :getin:

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Espilae posted:

A couple of different suggestions: Sproggiwood (get it on Steam), and Smart Kobold. Sproggiwood is practically intended as baby's first roguelike. It's comparatively user-friendly and simple to understand the logic of compared to many of the involved games we see shown off here. On anything but the easiest difficulty, it's also going to suddenly start kicking your rear end when you aren't expecting it, though. The new Savage mode is probably too much for someone new to the genre, so try the middle one

Smart Kobold is a much shorter game and... honestly, I would adore seeing someone try to play this without knowing the intended strategy ahead of time. Go into a fairly small dungeon with only a handful of tools, try to depopulate the kobolds before they get to you. The AI is the real enemy, as you might guess; it's a lot more tuned to hurt you than many roguelike foes.

The advantage of both of these is that they'll give you a chance to find your footing and advance a bit, so it's not completely frustrating, and then they'll sucker punch you right when you think you've got the idea.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
IVAN.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

ZeeToo posted:

A couple of different suggestions: Sproggiwood (get it on Steam), and Smart Kobold. Sproggiwood is practically intended as baby's first roguelike. It's comparatively user-friendly and simple to understand the logic of compared to many of the involved games we see shown off here. On anything but the easiest difficulty, it's also going to suddenly start kicking your rear end when you aren't expecting it, though. The new Savage mode is probably too much for someone new to the genre, so try the middle one

Smart Kobold is a much shorter game and... honestly, I would adore seeing someone try to play this without knowing the intended strategy ahead of time. Go into a fairly small dungeon with only a handful of tools, try to depopulate the kobolds before they get to you. The AI is the real enemy, as you might guess; it's a lot more tuned to hurt you than many roguelike foes.

The advantage of both of these is that they'll give you a chance to find your footing and advance a bit, so it's not completely frustrating, and then they'll sucker punch you right when you think you've got the idea.

I was so proud when I figured out how to play smart kobold.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Lilli posted:

I was so proud when I figured out how to play smart kobold.

Immediately leave the dungeon and live a happy life as a pig farmer?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Try it! It's super short and there are 2-3 (maybe more?) gimmicks that will let you solve the game.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

This is exactly what I want.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Espilae posted:

Be gentle.

Dungeonmans!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

Yesssss. :getin:

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

Strongly in favour of.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Dreggon posted:

It's a lot easier than Nethack with no spoilers.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Nethack4 without spoilers might be a better choice - still nethack, but less dumb.

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.

Geokinesis posted:

Dungeonmans!

seconding this! I would love to see a play-through of this - and there was even a huge update recently!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dreggon posted:

It's the kind of game that demands you pay attention and punishes you mercilessly for not being careful. It also nearly always gives you all the tools you need to win, is totally beatable without spoilers, rarely does anything blatantly unfair, and lets others watch you play live and give you advice (good or bad).

I've 15-runned DCSS (basically means I did almost all of the optional content) with what most people consider a moderately hard combination (Demonspawn Monk of Xom :smug:*), and I've never beaten another Roguelike. It's a fantastic game, and a great introduction to Roguelikes without being overwhelming. Play it.

Also, I will post a DF update today, I swear. I've been... busy.

*Okay, I switched to Xom during the orb run. Sue me.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 13, 2015

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Sil - Bonnie T 350'

I'd say we're now getting out of the super-boring early game and into the more interesting mid-game.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
I grabbed Crypt of the Necrodancer last night. It's fun, but I'm not sure it's the game for me. After playing just a little bit, it makes my arm start to hurt like hell from all the repeated tapping of the keypad. And I'm not sure if it's the game, me, or my keyboard, but sometimes I have a hell of a time making it recognize the two button combinations to use items/spells

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

ousire posted:

I grabbed Crypt of the Necrodancer last night. It's fun, but I'm not sure it's the game for me. After playing just a little bit, it makes my arm start to hurt like hell from all the repeated tapping of the keypad. And I'm not sure if it's the game, me, or my keyboard, but sometimes I have a hell of a time making it recognize the two button combinations to use items/spells

Plug in a controller with four face buttons, I played it once with the keyboard and never again because fuuuuuck that noise.

Dreggon posted:

Yes, but it's fair. Very fair. As long as you're cautious and keep your options in mind, Dungeon Crawl is an excellent introduction to the genre, and it'll help you develop the skills necessary to actually be good at the genre.

Sproggiwood probably will too though, I haven't looked into it much.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

bathroomrage posted:

Plug in a controller with four face buttons, I played it once with the keyboard and never again because fuuuuuck that noise.

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

drat right, game even has a mode for using a dance pad.

• Locked thread