Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The Larch posted:

So who do we vote for then?

You keep writing in "full communism" until it gains sentience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Joementum posted:

The official Spotify playlist is:
American Authors: Believer
Gym Class Heroes: The Fighter feat. Ryan Tedder
Katy Perry: Roar
Ariana Grande: Break Free
Kelly Clarkson: Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)
American Authors: Best Day of My Life
Pharrell Williams: Happy - From "Despicable Me 2"
Jennifer Lopez: Let's Get Loud
NONONO: Pumpin Blood
John Legend: Wake Up Everybody
Sara Bareilles: Brave
Kris Allen: Fighters
Jon Bon Jovi: Beautiful Day
Marc Anthony: Vivir Mi Vida
BERNIE 2016

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
i really hope as the primaries / election approaches we have a dedicated thread for goofy candidate photos

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

mooyashi posted:

i really hope as the primaries / election approaches we have a dedicated thread for goofy candidate photos

You're in it.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

platzapS posted:

BERNIE 2016

Gonna feel the bern in 2016. :getin:

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

mooyashi posted:

Politoons has the Gay Abortions. Can the primaries thread have something similar for goofy campaign trail pictures?

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Skwirl posted:

My issue with it is that it's not Irish enough.
Agreed, he should just go all out and use My Lovely Horse.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Finally watched Hillary's speech. Very good, and reminded me, why isn't voter registration an automatic thing that happens. I had to register for Selective Service when I was 17, and on my 18th birthday Gillette sent me a razor, why can't there be a voter registration card wrapped around that?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hillary gave Rubio a great opportunity today and he took it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFVJShWsNok

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Two things: 1) rhetoric isn't the same thing as action/belief (we have Hillary's record as a politician to analyze the latter, and by any rational estimation she can be at best described as a weak-libertarian: socially liberal and fiscally centrist/conservative, with some trivial differences with libertarians around the edges/depth of allowable government intervention); 2) even if (1) weren't a thing, the fact that Ms. Franke-Ruta views it as being far enough left to have little "left" left means she buys hook-line-and-sinker into the neoliberal nonsense/Rush Limbaugh definition of "liberal".

Joementum posted:

The South Carolina AFL-CIO has endorsed Bernie for President.

That's a pretty big deal.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Feather posted:

That's a pretty big deal.

Oh, I get it, you're insane.

Feather
Mar 1, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Oh, I get it, you're insane.

How so?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Joementum posted:

This is a good ad. Rubio's team was on the ball with this.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Maybe SEIU is the big union in South Carolina, I have no idea how scoring a union endorsement in a early primary state is a bad thing :shrug:

Sad Banana
Sep 7, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Maybe SEIU is the big union in South Carolina, I have no idea how scoring a union endorsement in a early primary state is a bad thing :shrug:
It's not a bad thing. SC is one of the states with the lowest unionization rates though.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Mr Hootington posted:

This is a good ad. Rubio's team was on the ball with this.

Which is fine until you ask him anything on social or fiscal policy and you have to remember both younger and older voters that aren't crazy conservatives tend to have very fond memories of the Clinton years before Bush wrecked everything.

Tell me where in a debate against Clinton Rubio is going to find air in between the perceptions of the Clinton years, extremely conservative social policy and substantial superficial differences between his and GWB overall policy?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Three Olives posted:

Which is fine until you ask him anything on social or fiscal policy and you have to remember both younger and older voters that aren't crazy conservatives tend to have very fond memories of the Clinton years before Bush wrecked everything.

Tell me where in a debate against Clinton Rubio is going to find air in between the perceptions of the Clinton years, extremely conservative social policy and substantial superficial differences between his and GWB overall policy?

That's a general election issue, Rubio's got a primary to win and that's a p good republican primary ad.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Three Olives posted:

Beats me. I just liked the ad. Thought it was really good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It's not negative for Bernie to score an AFLCIO endorsement, it just doesn't actually matter much. And thinking it does means you're either naive or insane.

Apologies, you're probably just naive.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Joementum posted:

I disagree, Rubio walked right into the trap that was set for him. The Clinton campaign is basically the Clinton years were awesome, Bush was a loving trainwreck, Obama hasn't been complete poo poo, the economy has improved dramatically after the Bush disaster, why would we want the same "new" people and "new" political ideas that have already failed.

Feather
Mar 1, 2003

Skwirl posted:

It's not negative for Bernie to score an AFLCIO endorsement, it just doesn't actually matter much. And thinking it does means you're either naive or insane.

Apologies, you're probably just naive.

Ah, I get it: you just don't know what you're talking about.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is this dressing up like colonials stuff a strictly post-2008 phenomenon?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Three Olives posted:

I disagree, Rubio walked right into the trap that was set for him. The Clinton campaign is basically the Clinton years were awesome, Bush was a loving trainwreck, Obama hasn't been complete poo poo, the economy has improved dramatically after the Bush disaster, why would we want the same "new" people and "new" political ideas that have already failed.

Right now it's about persuading Republican party actors who'll be impressed by Rubio's clear contrast with Hillary's message. Marco also has no problem with her reminding people of how bad Bush was.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Feather posted:

Ah, I get it: you just don't know what you're talking about.

It isn't a big deal. South Carolina has about 61,000 represented by unions of which 41,000 are actual members. I couldn't find the numbers to find the breakdown between SEIU and AFL-CIO.

They didn't have a democrat primary in '12 but we have the presidential election results of 845,756 voting democrat.

Meaning union representation is 7.2% and union members are 4.8%. They are not a large part of the democrat electorate.

That said it is great he got an early endorsement!

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

I imagine Hillary would probably want to boost Rubio as much as possible, force the Republicans to spend money in the primaries rather than just letting Bush cruise to victory like she is with the Democrats. Having the Republicans do her opposition research for her also seems like a good idea

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Ted Cruz and a dude in Thomas Jefferson drag.

Badger of Basra posted:

Is this dressing up like colonials stuff a strictly post-2008 phenomenon?

Usually the people doing this opt for the minute man cosplay. It seems we're moving up into rich, well-educated, gentrified statesman. Watching the Dave Barton cultists bend over backwards trying to turn Jefferson into an evangelical Christian has been the most entertaining of all.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Joementum posted:

Right now it's about persuading Republican party actors who'll be impressed by Rubio's clear contrast with Hillary's message. Marco also has no problem with her reminding people of how bad Bush was.

Yes but Hillary is already playing the long game, she is intentionally trying to drag the the Republican primary candidates into fighting her instead of their own shitfest that is going to hurt them in both the general and in the primary to give them space to eat their own by making the primary about Clinton and not their own policy differences.

As far as I see it Hillary knew exactly what she was doing and Rubio was the first to take the bait.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Albert Brooks?!?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Three Olives posted:

Yes but Hillary is already playing the long game, she is intentionally trying to drag the the Republican primary candidates into fighting her instead of their own shitfest that is going to hurt them in both the general and in the primary to give them space to eat their own by making the primary about Clinton and not their own policy differences.

As far as I see it Hillary knew exactly what she was doing and Rubio was the first to take the bait.

Why would making the Republican primary about Hillary help Hillary? I guess it helps reinforce the inevitability argument, but seems to me she benefits most by letting them try to out-rightwing each other while she harvests campaign ad fodder. Maybe throw the provacative bone to keep them fighting and rabid, but engaging the clown car usually ends up with pie on your face.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hillary is not going to have to do anything to make the Republicans spend the primary attacking her.

Feather
Mar 1, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

It isn't a big deal. South Carolina has about 61,000 represented by unions of which 41,000 are actual members. I couldn't find the numbers to find the breakdown between SEIU and AFL-CIO.

They didn't have a democrat primary in '12 but we have the presidential election results of 845,756 voting democrat.

Meaning union representation is 7.2% and union members are 4.8%. They are not a large part of the democrat electorate.

That said it is great he got an early endorsement!

Yes, getting an early endorsement from labor is a big deal. It's not campaign-making/breaking but it's also not just "good job!" in significance.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 22, 2016

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

I didn't get tickets to the Hillary launch but I live on the island so I thought I'd take a walk to the park and see what I could see without an entry pass.

Stragglers straining to eavesdrop on the launch event.

"HILLARY: DEPORT ILLEGALS"

What I got was a lot of Anti-Hillary protestors.
One lonely Ted Cruz supporter ("Born and raised in Brooklyn") tirelessly made her rounds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrqRoSnakbg

Anti-Hillary protestors with Hypocri$y t-shirts protested. I'm not sure if they were attacking her from the left or the right, but I would guess left because they did not welcome the Ted Crus lady.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEoHj6CKZms

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

messagemode1 posted:

I didn't get tickets to the Hillary launch but I live on the island so I thought I'd take a walk to the park and see what I could see without an entry pass.

Anti-Hillary protestors with Hypocri$y t-shirts protested. I'm not sure if they were attacking her from the left or the right, but I would guess left because they did not welcome the Ted Crus lady.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEoHj6CKZms

Well, seeing that the bottom of the top sign says "gop.com" I'm guessing right.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

messagemode1 posted:

I didn't get tickets to the Hillary launch but I live on the island so I thought I'd take a walk to the park and see what I could

Awesome! Been wanting to see some protester pictures or videos at these rallies or candidate stops. Did they have any chants?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Drastic Actions posted:

Well, seeing that the bottom of the top sign says "gop.com" I'm guessing right.

Yes, the RNC bussed people to Roosevelt Island today, along with their spokesman Michael Short.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Awesome! Been wanting to see some protester pictures or videos at these rallies or candidate stops. Did they have any chants?

S T O P H is for Hypocrisy
Hashtag Shady (this one was really stupid, where one guy was yelling it baseball style but the other people were chanting plainly)
Stop Hill Ary

I didn't notice the gop.com website at the bottom of the signs, but I did notice they were all white.

The Ted Cruz lady had her own chant, which was "HILLARY LIES. HILLARY LIES. HILLARY LIES. HILLARY LIES" and then the rest of her speech which I caught a bit of on video.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Skwirl posted:

why isn't voter registration an automatic thing that happens.

Because then there wouldn't be a way for the corpulent alabaster cancer to throw up barriers between anyone not lolligagging around the exurbs in SUVs parasitically existing off the teats of the city they're stuck to like big fat loving remorae.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

• Locked thread