Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Skwirl posted:

I live in California, we had to wait for legal gay marriage for several extra years partially because a bunch of a Mormons from the flyover states dumped a poo poo ton of money into a state referendum. When we were having budgey issues I had to listen to national news saying we were bad with money despite the gap between what Californians pay in income tax and receive in federal services being vastly greater than the Californian defecit. And your Senators make it next to impossible for anyone with a sensible attitude on marijuana to become Attorney General, when in my experience the only time I've seen pot ruin someone's life is when they get arrested for having it. I'd be a little less hostile if you stopped loving with my life.

A California upset that Californians voted against gay marriage and blaming the Midwest :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

mlmp08 posted:

A California upset that Californians voted against gay marriage and blaming the Midwest :allears:

lol Utah dumped so much goddamn money into the prop 8 campaign. Though yes, Utah is not a Midwest state.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

mlmp08 posted:

It wasn't the Midwest, it was the Mormon church and some other far-right organizations. It was also a tactically poor move. It delayed gay marriage briefly, at the cost of making a fuckload of people in California think that Mormons are assholes.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Hahaha so Californians got duped by rich Mormons into voting anti-gay? Maybe when they learn not to fall for such tricks they can come back to the adult table.

Edit: really to mock California you need only invoke the name Feinstein.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

mlmp08 posted:

Hahaha so Californians got duped by rich Mormons into voting anti-gay? Maybe when they learn not to fall for such tricks they can come back to the adult table.

Edit: really to mock California you need only invoke the name Feinstein.

Maybe when you learn that propaganda has an effect on adults, even smart ones, you can come back to the adult table.

I agree that Feinstein is a bad person, but her voting record as a senator isn't bad. Except for the flag-burning nonsense.

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx
S'ok, you'll all be jealous when we get Senator Harris and Governor Newsom.
:smug:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Obdicut posted:

Maybe when you learn that propaganda has an effect on adults, even smart ones, you can come back to the adult table.

I agree that Feinstein is a bad person, but her voting record as a senator isn't bad. Except for the flag-burning nonsense.

I just think it's super funny when either party/side/region/whatever blames all the ills on the "other" and then when their state is caught doing something dumb as gently caress, it's somehow not their fault. Also lol Feinstein has a pretty awful voting record IIRC.

Why didn't rich Californians step up and counter donate in favor of gay rights instead of goofing and letting the ant-gay movement win?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Obdicut posted:

It wasn't the Midwest, it was the Mormon church and some other far-right organizations. It was also a tactically poor move. It delayed gay marriage briefly, at the cost of making a fuckload of people in California think that Mormons are assholes.

Is it possible that this less a matter of poor tactics and more of just an accurate appraisal of their true value?

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

mlmp08 posted:

I just think it's super funny when either party/side/region/whatever blames all the ills on the "other" and then when their state is caught doing something dumb as gently caress, it's somehow not their fault. Also lol Feinstein has a pretty awful voting record IIRC.

You don't recall directly, and never mind the rest of it, because you're going straight to the ridiculous hyperbole.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Obdicut posted:

You don't recall directly, and never mind the rest of it, because you're going straight to the ridiculous hyperbole.

I'm mostly basing calling her voting record weak on her super pro-NSA voting, bending over backward for Hollywood/IP interests, mandatory prison terms, and being super antigun while saying she and her private bodyguards should get guns, just not the normals.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

mlmp08 posted:

I used the adult table line earlier, when I was referring to the dust bowl and the south...stop being so lazy.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 13, 2015

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

Why didn't rich Californians step up and counter donate in favor of gay rights instead of goofing and letting the ant-gay movement win?

They did but iirc the anti prop 8 campaign's GOTV was lacking.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In addition to the trade deal, Joe Trippi pointed out that Hillary refused to state her position on the metric system in her announcement speech. Missed opportunity.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Raskolnikov38 posted:

They did but iirc the anti prop 8 campaign's GOTV was lacking.

Ha, yeah it turns out that unless Wikipedia is wrong which is very possible, there was over 10% more money in play for gay marriage than there was against, and the anti-gay prop still passed by a wide margin.

Ouch.

Edit: and voter turnout was huge. Double ouch. That's kinda more depressing than I thought.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 13, 2015

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Gyges posted:

Guess I missed Hillary's policy proposal to burn all hedge funds to the ground. As far as I can tell the argument isn't that they shouldn't exist but that they should be regulated in a stricter manner, which is not incompatible with either her son-in-law or daughter working at one. It's in the same vein as thinking taxes should be higher but not kicking in extra to the IRS on your own return.

As for taking money from Wall Street, unless and until campaign finance laws are changed there's no reasonable reason to not take money from them. Abstaining from the currently legal and acceptable because you think it should change is not a great choice if it actively hurts your ability to make changes. It'd be nice if ideological purity won you more votes than money to get out your message/voters does, but it doesn't.

You'd think that after the Obama presidency, people would be wise to the "time to regulate Wall Street" populist bullshit.

Let's just take a quick gander at her biggest supporters:

There is a 0.0% chance that Hillary Clinton will do anything significant to regulate Wall Street unless it is forced upon her by Congress or real world events. Any stump speech pablum that says otherwise should be looked at with a jaundiced eye. The fact that her progeny & beau work/have worked in the industry she "decries" is just icing on the cake.

Arkane fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 13, 2015

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Yeah 2008 was a weird election for California and I think the best explanation for prop 8s passing is that religion is stronger in here than most outsiders think.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Yeah 2008 was a weird election for California and I think the best explanation for prop 8s passing is that religion is stronger in here than most outsiders think.

I've seen similar stuff when I lived in El Paso. A very democratic area, especially in contrast with Texas, but Latinos voting democrat may still not be big fans of gay marriage, what with Catholicism.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Without Prop 8, they'll teach our children to be queers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PgjcgqFYP4

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Litany Unheard posted:

Without Prop 8, they'll teach our children to be queers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PgjcgqFYP4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exPoH1JX0Q8

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Marshalltown, Iowa Hillary watch "party" was attended by six people, one of whom was a campaign staffer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ_13AB3JgA

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Arkane posted:

You'd think that after the Obama presidency, people would be wise to the "time to regulate Wall Street" populist bullshit.

There is a 0.0% chance that Hillary Clinton will do anything significant to regulate Wall Street unless it is forced upon her by Congress or real world events. Any stump speech pablum that says otherwise should be looked at with a jaundiced eye. The fact that her progeny & beau work/have worked in the industry she "decries" is just icing on the cake.

So who do we vote for then?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Joementum posted:

The Marshalltown, Iowa Hillary watch "party" was attended by six people, one of whom was a campaign staffer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ_13AB3JgA

I don't think that is indicative of anything, it's still so early and with no one else viable running for the nomination who wants to spend a Saturday morning with a bunch of potential weirdos in that lovely looking place? When we get closer to the convention I wouldn't be surprised to see bars in liberal areas showing the speeches like they did with Obama.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Also in Marshalltown today.

Of course, having the candidate in person helps quite a bit.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

The Larch posted:

Bernie? You certainly don't believe anything a new way dem has to say about regulating business, post Clinton I the democrats are more in bed with finance than the republicans.

Gyges posted:

Guess I missed Hillary's policy proposal to burn all hedge funds to the ground. As far as I can tell the argument isn't that they shouldn't exist but that they should be regulated in a stricter manner, which is not incompatible with either her son-in-law or daughter working at one. It's in the same vein as thinking taxes should be higher but not kicking in extra to the IRS on your own return.

As for taking money from Wall Street, unless and until campaign finance laws are changed there's no reasonable reason to not take money from them. Abstaining from the currently legal and acceptable because you think it should change is not a great choice if it actively hurts your ability to make changes. It'd be nice if ideological purity won you more votes than money to get out your message/voters does, but it doesn't.

That money buys things, there's no reason at all to think she'll regulate WS in any significant manner. You don't bite the hand that feeds if you want to stay relevant or get reelected.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Arkane posted:

She's a loving neoliberal you shitlord. Are you thinking any of us are surprised by that?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah, my personal support for the Hilldawg comes from the estimation that she will not represent a meaningful downgrade from Obama, and her opponent is going to be the Humungus/Immortan Joe ticket no matter which particular idiot wins the hockey mask.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Arkane posted:

Sorry that your candidates suck so badly you can't actually promote any of them.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Obdicut posted:

Sorry that your candidates suck so badly you can't actually promote any of them.

He's just following the standard GOP playbook wherein depressing opposition turnout is more important than fielding an electable candidate yourself.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Joementum posted:

Also in Marshalltown today.

Of course, having the candidate in person helps quite a bit.
Wanted to go and do a trip report for this. Was about the closet thing for the next week.

Bernie also has a steak fry in Cedar Rapids later. $25 per ticket.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Tempest_56 posted:

I've seen people in Canada and Europe flying Confederate flags. I don't disagree but that drat thing isn't exactly a perfect gauge.

edit: I've also seen it in NYC, LA, Toronto and London. It's less suggestive of anything rural or Southern and more of 'I'm a racist fuckhead'.

Dukes of Hazzard fans.

But I would put money on it being code for hating blacks any day.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

The Larch posted:

Hillary.

THE BOMBINATRIX
Jul 26, 2002

by Lowtax

The Larch posted:

Duh:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I missed this earlier, but there's an official Martin O'Malley campaign song and it's very, very Irish.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Arkane posted:

I'm not actually expecting Hillary, or anyone electable at this time, to come down on Wall Street like an angry god. What I'm saying is that nothing she's saying is inherently contradictory, nor hypocritical in and of itself. Wall Street isn't going to have poo poo happen to it as long as you have to raise a billion plus dollars just to have a chance at winning the White House. Real financial reform will only happen after real campaign finance reform.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Joementum posted:

I missed this earlier, but there's an official Martin O'Malley campaign song and it's very, very Irish.

My issue with it is that it's not Irish enough.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The South Carolina AFL-CIO has endorsed Bernie for President.

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

Joementum posted:

Perhaps too Irish, if you know what I mean.

Where's the certificate, O'Malley?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Great_Gerbil posted:

Where's the certificate, O'Malley?

At the end of a rainbow, obviously.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Joementum posted:

At the end of a rainbow, obviously.

Somewhere outside of Galveston, Ron Paul just stopped mid-sentence, distracted by a powerful, subconscious need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Larch posted:

Vermin Supreme

• Locked thread