Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Pohl posted:

I'm not going into my personal history but that is some weak poo poo, man.
Why are you bringing up your anxiety as a reason we are not to discuss this? :

quote:

Later, during a “face time” call over the Internet, he threatened to kill all of the adult members of his family, as well as making a vague threat about schools or churches along the way.

In the police report, Boulware’s mother said that her son “frequently talks to himself and appears delusional.”
You drew the comparison. Continue on if youre going somewhere with it.

A big flaming stink posted:

where are you even going with this cause it sure looks like bitching for the sake of bitching. What are you actually complaining about
Before the minor argument my point was "man with mental health issue and a history of outbursts... has an outburst" is, at its root, not a story about gun rights or police heroes, and that is the narrative that is mostly popping up. Its another story that should actually focus on the lack of healthcare in America.

FRINGE fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

FRINGE posted:

Why are you bringing up your anxiety as a reason we are not to discuss this? :

You drew the comparison. Continue on if youre going somewhere with it.

He was loving psychotic, jesus. I deal with issues everyday but I'm not psychotic. Most people aren't. All anybody is going to see is that he was mentally ill and then they will label everyone mentally ill as dangerous and everyone will lose. I don't even know what you are talking about or what you want.

Fringe, I sent you a pm.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 13, 2015

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
NY Times did a write-up on the Eric Garner events.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/14/nyregion/eric-garner-police-chokehold-staten-island.html?smid=tw-share

Some tidbits from the sealed grand jury proceedings:

quote:

Ms. Allen said the medical response and Mr. Garner’s prior ailments seemed to preoccupy the prosecutors and grand jurors when she testified. Mr. Garner had acute asthma, hypertension and a history of diabetes. He was also obese; these conditions were all listed as contributing factors to his death.

Several times during her testimony, which is kept secret under grand jury rules, Ms. Allen said prosecutors urged her to watch her words. When she said Mr. Garner did not appear to have a pulse, a prosecutor stepped in. “Don’t say it like that,” she recalled the prosecutor saying. “You’re only assuming he didn’t have a pulse.”

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pohl posted:

He was loving psychotic, jesus. I deal with issues everyday but I'm not psychotic. Most people aren't. All anybody is going to see is that he was mentally ill and then they will label everyone mentally ill as dangerous and everyone will lose. I don't even know what you are talking about or what you want.

Fringe, I sent you a pm.
You haven't purchased any zombie apocalypse vans lately, have you?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Arkane posted:

NY Times did a write-up on the Eric Garner events.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/14/nyregion/eric-garner-police-chokehold-staten-island.html?smid=tw-share

Some tidbits from the sealed grand jury proceedings:

Lol, it wasn't the chokehold it was because he was fat and would have totally died regardless. Brilliant.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

bango skank posted:

You haven't purchased any zombie apocalypse vans lately, have you?

I have never purchased a murder van, no.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
It's a grand jury. It's essentially 100% to indict if the prosecutors want to.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Agrajag posted:

Lol, it wasn't the chokehold it was because he was fat and would have totally died regardless. Brilliant.

It was both (see also: all his other medical conditions as well)

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
i suppose in the final sense, nobody is really liable for anything because we all have the preexisting condition of fleshy, mortal bodies

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
Seriously, it's not those poor officers' fault that Garner turned out to be secretly obese and asthmatic. How were they supposed to know he was obese just by looking at him? And how the HELL were they supposed to know he had problems breathing just by him saying so?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cichlid the Loach posted:

Seriously, it's not those poor officers' fault that Garner turned out to be secretly obese and asthmatic. How were they supposed to know he was obese just by looking at him? And how the HELL were they supposed to know he had problems breathing just by him saying so?

Plus, they always say "I can't breathe" when you have them in a neck-lock, how were the officers to know he wasn't lying?

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The prosecutor in the Tamir Rice case released the entire investigation today. The cop claims he had "no choice" but to shoot the kid when he reached for his gun.

quote:

It's not clear why McGinty decided to release the full report, which was compiled over the course of four months, to the public.

They're not going to indict this guy.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
On the bright side, there's a 50/50 chance that cop feels bad about murdering a 12 year old.

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.
Are they going to even address the two officers lying in their reports about the incident?

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

more friedman units posted:

Are they going to even address the two officers lying in their reports about the incident?

this happens every single day; it's not even unusual

the police report always paints their own actions as heroic & just

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

more friedman units posted:

Heroes dont lie they just have the worst memories this side of Wall Street criminals. Except when they are filling the role of "expert witness" then whatever they make up is Truth and Real.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Cops switch to guns that are easier to fire and lack a safety lever. Result: more accidental discharges.
http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-sheriff-guns-20150614-story.html#page=1

quote:

Rise in accidental gunshots by L.A. County deputies follows new firearm

Accidental gunshots by Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies have more than doubled in two years, endangering bystanders and occasionally injuring deputies. The jump coincides with the department's move to a new handgun that lacks a safety lever and requires less pressure to pull the trigger.

Sheriff's officials say that the increase in accidental discharges — from 12 in 2012 to 30 last year — occurred because deputies were adjusting to the new gun. They expect the numbers to fall in the years ahead. So far this year, the department has recorded seven accidental discharges, five of which involved the new weapon.

But the problems may not be over, as more deputies switch to the Smith & Wesson M&P9. In response, department officials have imposed extra training requirements.
Part of the problem? If you treat the M&P like the old Berettas, then everyone's going to have a bad time.

quote:

L.A. County sheriff's deputies learning to shoot the Beretta were taught to rest a finger on the trigger as soon as they took aim. The mantra was "on target, on trigger."

With M&Ps and Glocks, the trigger finger should stay on the side of the gun until the last moment.
Yet another training-related obstacle to overcome. Yippee.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Grey Fox posted:

Part of the problem? If you treat the M&P like the old Berettas, then everyone's going to have a bad time.

Holy motherfucker, "on target on trigger" is the mostly hilariously unsafe gun rule I think I've ever heard of.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Jarmak posted:

Holy motherfucker, "on target on trigger" is the mostly hilariously unsafe gun rule I think I've ever heard of.

It makes me wonder how they avoided negligent discharges with the old M9, since every trigger pull after the first one is probably just as light if not lighter than the striker-fired M&P.

I would (again) suggest that cops go back to DAO revolvers but this is clearly a matter of insufficient or incorrect training regardless of platform.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Jarmak posted:

Is that poo poo standard in police training? Or is this just a particular brand of LA stupid? I wonder if the NYPD has the same training.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
NYPD used to have it with their revolvers.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

ToastyPotato posted:

Is that poo poo standard in police training? Or is this just a particular brand of LA stupid? I wonder if the NYPD has the same training.

"Standard?" In police training? No such thing.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Shooting Blanks posted:

"Standard?" In police training? No such thing.

Wait, the police in America are trained?

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Like most things in the United States, that standards for police training vary on a state by state and sometimes county by county basis. Seriously, gently caress federalism up it's loving rear end.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Jarmak posted:

Yeah, doesn't this break the first two rules of basic firearms handling? Everyone else from Boy Scouts to navy SEALS are taught to do the exact loving opposite.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SedanChair posted:

It makes me wonder how they avoided negligent discharges with the old M9, since every trigger pull after the first one is probably just as light if not lighter than the striker-fired M&P.

I would (again) suggest that cops go back to DAO revolvers but this is clearly a matter of insufficient or incorrect training regardless of platform.

Assuming they drew their guns, the hammer on the 92 would be down so they'd have a long, heavy double-action pull. You simply can't accidentally pull a double-action trigger that's 9+ pounds without something unusual happening.

Unless modified, the Glock and M&P don't have such a heavy trigger (they're sort of between single and double-action) and trying to rest your finger on it puts you one stumble or reflexive squeeze away from firing.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
That's my point though, after the first pull all the ones after that are single action. Although, once a cop has fired the first round they're probably going to dump the mag so it doesn't matter too much in practice.

In an ideal world cops would be trained to fire one round or a controlled pair, then assess. But if we're imagining a world where a cop could learn to do that, we might as well wish for a world where they didn't carry pistols in the first place, since that's equally likely.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

SedanChair posted:

In an ideal world cops would be trained to fire one round or a controlled pair, then assess. But if we're imagining a world where a cop could learn to do that...

Actually pretty much the other countries down the map, too.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Yeah, doesn't this break the first two rules of basic firearms handling? Everyone else from Boy Scouts to navy SEALS are taught to do the exact loving opposite.

It depends on what is being taught. For basic movement with a weapon or covering someone, yeah, keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire. "On target, on trigger" sounds like something taught in combat shooting, where you're going from drawstroke->sight picture->finger on trigger->fire->follow up very rapidly in response to an unexpected threat. In that case, it's following the four rules, because it's emphasising not to place your finger inside the trigger guard until you're aiming at your intended target. Some people have a tendency to put their finger on the trigger as they draw, which is bad and needs to be overcome with training.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cops spend a lot more time aiming at stuff they don't want to shoot than soldiers, which is kind of the problem with that training.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I don't know about that. Soldiers do guard duty all the time. Of course then they light up whole families at checkpoints.

Vahakyla posted:

Actually pretty much the other countries down the map, too.

I think it's been demonstrated that the US is not capable of learning things from Northern Europe.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jun/14/woman-strip-searched-lwins-damages-met-police

The police in the UK can also not be trusted to help someone who clearly needs it, arresting them instead. At least nobody got killed

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Jose posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jun/14/woman-strip-searched-lwins-damages-met-police

The police in the UK can also not be trusted to help someone who clearly needs it, arresting them instead. At least nobody got killed

This isn't just a case of a woman being roofied complaining about being strip searched:

quote:

When the police arrived the woman was arrested and taken to a cell. She said: “My drink had been spiked and the police should have helped me. Instead I remember being in a cell with strange men putting their hands on me and taking my clothes off. I believed I was being raped and remember screaming in fear.”

The investigation into the incident revealed that the woman was held down in the cell by four male police officers and a female officer. Every item of her clothing was forcibly removed, and her bra was cut from the front of her body. She was then left naked in the cell for half-an-hour with the CCTV camera broadcasting the images back to the custody desk.

She later woke in a hospital bed with no memory of what had happened and minus her clothes. Now 26, the woman said she believed the officers had treated her in the way they did because she was black. According to the woman, when she came round in hospital she spoke to the police officer at her bedside, who said she was very well spoken and asked where she was born. When the woman replied“Hampstead”, the officer radioed a colleague and was overheard saying: “I think we made a mistake..”

Of course the police still haven't apologized or admitted wrongdoing:

quote:

A spokesman for the Met said: “The claim arose from an arrest in March 2011. Officers arrested a woman for a public order offence. She was charged and bailed to court for four counts of assault on a constable. The matter was discontinued due to insufficient evidence. We do not disclose settlement amounts.”

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Ha, good old British class discrimination. It can almost overpower racism!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

SedanChair posted:

I don't know about that. Soldiers do guard duty all the time. Of course then they light up whole families at checkpoints.

In a real war zone. Not in the USA.

And Soldiers on guard duty don't walk around pointing guns at everything either.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Oh goody gumdrops, we're back to comparing soldiers and the police again.

hobbesmaster posted:

Cops spend a lot more time aiming at stuff they don't want to shoot than soldiers, which is kind of the problem with that training.

Well, I'd say holster work is really important if you want to avoid negligent discharges, but you need to train to the rules a department operates under.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

It depends on what is being taught. For basic movement with a weapon or covering someone, yeah, keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire. "On target, on trigger" sounds like something taught in combat shooting, where you're going from drawstroke->sight picture->finger on trigger->fire->follow up very rapidly in response to an unexpected threat. In that case, it's following the four rules, because it's emphasising not to place your finger inside the trigger guard until you're aiming at your intended target. Some people have a tendency to put their finger on the trigger as they draw, which is bad and needs to be overcome with training.

Yes, in the case that you've made the decision to fire before even drawing this makes sense, but it also goes without saying that if you're trying to fire the weapon then your finger is going to be on the trigger. There's no real purpose of such a phrase except to emphasis the idea that if you're aiming at something then you should have your finger on the trigger, which is rear end backwards. The only time you should have your finger in the trigger well and the safety off is when you're actually engaging a target.

If I caught one of my guys doing this poo poo on patrol he'd have a very bad day when we got back in, that's how NDs happen.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I wonder if even 1% of cops would be able to tell you the four rules.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Jarmak posted:

If I caught one of my guys doing this poo poo on patrol he'd have a very bad day when we got back in, that's how NDs happen.

Don't worry, you would never catch one of your guys doing this.

Because there's no way that a cop would turn in one of their brethren for violating department policies in a manner that endangers the public safety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Jarmak posted:

Yes, in the case that you've made the decision to fire before even drawing this makes sense, but it also goes without saying that if you're trying to fire the weapon then your finger is going to be on the trigger. There's no real purpose of such a phrase except to emphasis the idea that if you're aiming at something then you should have your finger on the trigger, which is rear end backwards. The only time you should have your finger in the trigger well and the safety off is when you're actually engaging a target.  

Oh, I agree with you, which is why I think the quote from the article needs context. I recall being taught something very similar during a class when we were practicing firing after the draw. The thing is, the instructors weren't saying, "put your finger on the trigger as soon as you aim at something," they were emphasising that he proper order of operations was to acquire the target, then put your finger on the trigger, in the context of firing after the draw. The majority of the NDs listed in that article were caused by people walking around with their fingers on the trigger or during drawing/reholstering.

KiteAuraan posted:

Seriously, gently caress federalism up it's loving rear end.
"Gonna make the whole country New York State, because there is nothing wrong with this idea."

• Locked thread