Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Breakfast All Day posted:

who wouldve guessed tbc was a fan of protecting harassing posting

tbf free speech is the only reason PHP should be legal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Vlad the Retailer posted:

tbf free speech is the only reason PHP should be legal

well at least there is finally one genuinely funny post itt

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I'm okay with not giving a megaphone to noxious viewpoints, but they should have done a lot more than ban one subreddit with 5k people laughing at fat folks, while still allowing all the other nazi subreddits and so on. If they're going to prune the objectionable parts might as well finish the job, and let the offended subhumans go elsewhere

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i've honestly never understood why freedom of speech is like, the one black and white thing that nobody is willing to be flexible on. it's entirely possible to make judgements about what kinds of speech are good and what kind aren't, just like it's possible to decide what kinds of things other things are crimes and what kinds of things aren't.

obviously most of it has to do with fear of government suppression but the government has thousands of other tools for suppressing a populace i dont see what makes speech so special

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i've honestly never understood why freedom of speech is like, the one black and white thing that nobody is willing to be flexible on. it's entirely possible to make judgements about what kinds of speech are good and what kind aren't, just like it's possible to decide what kinds of things other things are crimes and what kinds of things aren't.

obviously most of it has to do with fear of government suppression but the government has thousands of other tools for suppressing a populace i dont see what makes speech so special

if you're referring to free speech as in constitutionally protected speech, and suppression of that speech by the government, then the main issue is that allowing the government to decide what is or isn't objectionable speech would be fine, so long as you fully trust the decisions of your government today, tomorrow and forever. If the government had the ability to suppress speech, you can forget about the privacy debate we're having right now, or watching Citizen Four just for starters. The robust protections of speech in America are imo one of the only things holding the line. As you said, there are plenty of other ways to suppress speech, and free speech is one of the few ways left to counter that. If anything, general suppression of viewpoints that are disagreeable isn't going to change the minds of those who believe them, it's just going to make it less visible so you're not even aware of it, which is probably worse.

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

The Management posted:

fatchicksinpartyhats.com, a member of the portal of evil network
reddit is basically portal of evil, only every poster is some amalgamation of King Prawn and Mobile Suit Goddamn

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

why it's as if straight white males don't want anyone telling them they can't call people faggots or something

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
http://gizmodo.com/fat-hating-redditors-flee-to-voat-overload-servers-de-1710690125

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007

what stands in the way becomes the way

Luigi Thirty posted:

why it's as if straight white males don't want anyone telling them they can't call people faggots or something

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Luigi Thirty posted:

fag

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

problematic

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

:quig:

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

good sub reddits:

/r/bbs
/r/ANSIart/
/r/retrogaming
/r/TheMakingOfGames/

bad subreddits:

the rest + /r/yospos and the ones i mentioned above

I use reddit now mostly like i used the grey forums before reddit: I don't want to spend hour researching which program for what is best, thank god some nerds have done it, reddit made it faster than going to grey forums and read 10,000 post megathread.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

What is this, like a reverse-slippery-slope fallacy?

lol @ people already in a position of power and privilege saying "I don't get why people make such a big deal about the Bill of Rights"

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

"Dear Department of Fair Employment and Housing ... a report about Reddit Inc. discrimination posted:

BACKGROUND
Reddit Inc. A Califorinia company, employs a CEO named Ellen Pao who currently discriminates against men and people who lack "diverse" characteristics. She has brought in well-known Silicon Valley diversity consultant Freada Kapor Klein to advise the company, however Freada runs organizations whose almost entire purpose is to violate discrimination law. She knowingly did so while at the same time pursuing and losing a discrimination case in California Superior Court in Pao v. Perkins, using a similar line of reasoning that the discrimination law requires equality of outcomes instead of equality of opportunity. Similarly Reddit co-founder and board of director Alexis Ohanian himself seems to pursue gender discrimination, he came back to the company along with Ellen Pao when reddit CEO Yishan Wong resigned, and has since accused the websites community of being misogynistic. In response to the criticism that has been levied against Ellen Pao, the company banned speech criticizing against morbidly obese people for unhealthy lifestyles, in addition to banning users levying criticism of its CEO in response to company censorship.

PLEADING
I applied at a position right before submitting this complaint, and have been a member of the reddit community for 2 years, and my posts were among the ones deleted here. I am seeking an immediate injunction from further targeted censorship, shaddowbanning, and hiring discrimination, and a special investigator be assigned to investigate these claims, and to have these charges be brought to before the court by the state on behalf of Reddit users and employees. I base this on a good faith belief that the accused is violating title vii of the Civil Rights Act for employment discrimination, in addition to violating the Unruh Civil Rights Act by arbitrarily discriminating against a people based on "defining characteristics", in a place of public accommodation that refers to itself as "the front page of the internet". I believe they know or ought to know they are in violation due of the law, and that they would rather disregard what the law and the judgement of a jury of their peers. Moreover there is tangental evidence that Alexis Ohanian had undue influence in the discrimination of his competitors on a crowdfunding platform named Patreon he is an investor in.

omitted: his 27 citations, 7 of which are just "censored from reddit"

e: in summary,

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jun 15, 2015

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

lmao

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

quote:

Question about what I feel to definitely feel to be police harassment. I have lived nextdoor to officer friendly for about 3 years now. We have never gotten along mainly because he judges me because im covered in tattoos. He has randomly stopped me and tried to frisk me over 50 times. He has also arrested me on four different occasions, loving FOUR. Each time it was for something completely fabricated or just all together bullshit. Everything he has ever arrested me for was dropped by the state, none of them ever even made it to a court. Anyway for about a month or two after his most recent arrest was dropped he didn't really mess with me. I was so happy.I guessed that maybe something was said to him about all the BS arrests and was maybe told to back up off me. I was wrong. For a few days now he has been back at it. Following me around, loving with me, watching every move I make, just straight up harassing me.

Today he crossed the line. A few friends and myself went out to the beach for the morning. Around noon/one we decided to leave. They were driving to drop me and my fiancee off. We turned on to my street and drove past him. He immediately turned around and started following us. When we got to my place he flew up next to us screaming at me to get on the ground and everyone out of the car. He made up some bullshit about it looking like a drug deal (I have never been arrested for anything drug related in my life) and started searching everyone and the car for no reason. After all this bullshit he left. Not even an hour later im walking back from the store and he stops me wanting to search me. I am SICK of it.

Im on probation for a driving on suspended charge and the smallest thing can put me in jail. Im sick of my friends being scared to come pick me up because he pulls over anyone he sees me with. Im sick of being scared to walk to the store for a drat soda. What can I do?! Can I file a restraining order against him? I dont know what to do anymore and its very unsettling... I dont wanna try and do something and have it backfire and him end upI harassing me more if thats even possible. Help!

Sorry for the wall of text im on a cheap cell phone.

let's see his post hist--

quote:

opiates: 125
Metalcore: 34
opiaterollcall: 30
DarkNetMarkets: 30
AskReddit: 15
allcore: 9
AgMarketplace: 8
Drugs: 7
Amateur: 7
DarkNetMarketsNoobs: 4
PostHardcore: 3
poppunkers: 2
spacedicks: 2
gifs: 2
Metal: 2
zombies: 2
AmISexy: 2

hmmmmm.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

good sub reddits:

/r/bbs
/r/ANSIart/
/r/retrogaming
/r/TheMakingOfGames/

bad subreddits:

the rest + /r/yospos and the ones i mentioned above

I use reddit now mostly like i used the grey forums before reddit: I don't want to spend hour researching which program for what is best, thank god some nerds have done it, reddit made it faster than going to grey forums and read 10,000 post megathread.

thank you for posting the good things on reddit. let's keep this thread positive :)

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
oh good reddit got rid of a HAES mockery forum and a neogaf refugee camp while boards devoted to pictures of dead kids and worse remain

this seems like a sane move from a company that recently handed the keys to a the C-suite equivalent of a radioactive turd who was not only laughed out of court for a gender discrimination suit in which it was revealed she deliberately torpedoed the career of every woman she perceived to be a threat to her own promotion, but is also married to a tire fire fund manager who has been in court more of less nonstop for 15 years racking up $40m and counting in legal fees with no awards to show for it, oh and also seems to have lost misplaced over $150m in investments

in short say what you like about reddit but their management team really delivers the drama

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Internaut! posted:

oh good reddit got rid of a HAES mockery forum and a neogaf refugee camp while boards devoted to pictures of dead kids and worse remain

this seems like a sane move from a company that recently handed the keys to a the C-suite equivalent of a radioactive turd who was not only laughed out of court for a gender discrimination suit in which it was revealed she deliberately torpedoed the career of every woman she perceived to be a threat to her own promotion, but is also married to a tire fire fund manager who has been in court more of less nonstop for 15 years racking up $40m and counting in legal fees with no awards to show for it, oh and also seems to have lost misplaced over $150m in investments

in short say what you like about reddit but their management team really delivers the drama

blamming reddit drama on the management team is like blaming the tire fire on the first responders.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

internaut is always posting twitter screencaps in the video games thread. I wonder if that is somehow related to his opinions on the deletion of The Fat People Hate Subreddit.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
my "opinions on the deletion of The Fat People Hate Subreddit" is that it's a pretty funny way to clean up reddit

is this a controversial opinion in yospos because lol at reading 8 pages of posts to find out

NeoHentaiMaster
Jul 13, 2004
More well adjusted then you'd think.
The question here isn't even about free speech. There seems to be two questions depending on which side you're on.

The first one is if a private company should be held responsible for their product/platform being used in unintended ways to facilitate illegal and/or immoral activity. There is probably no one answer to this, but Reddit management seems to feel some responsibility here ( for once ) and is taking steps to reduce their liability. Nothing about it comes off like they are making overt efforts to stop free speech and reasonable discourse, they just don't want to get sued or be held legally liable for an illegal activity ( for once ... ) If you think that is wrong then you should be citing law and precedence which shows they would not actually be liable, or arguing for new laws that would protect them from any liability. Sorry if might make your case a little harder to make when you confront that you are actually arguing for more deregulation of private business.

The second question, if you ignore the active harassment part and just look at it as "people expressing negative views of fat people speech", is if private companies should ever be forced to accommodate and give some presence to all view points that their product/platform could reasonably allow for, or if they have the right to restrict its use to those which they personally feel are acceptable for whatever reason. This almost seems like an obvious question when dealing with things that are obviously offensive and hateful, but what about when its cases like a baker not wanting to make a gay wedding cake? In that case it seemed like most people here agreed the baker was in the wrong and it was correct to pressure his business to accommodate promoting things his personal beliefs objected too. Maybe the burden is on whatever side is promoting the more hateful/discriminatory view ? In any case it seems again there is no one answer, which makes people claiming to worry about slippery slope arguments seem silly. This isn't about free speech being eroded away, it's about what classes we want protected, and which ones we don't. Do you want to argue for fat shaming internet trolls being a protected class and/or fat people to not be protected ? Have fun making that argument.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

:gas:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

reddit is nothing like a baker not making a cake for a gay wedding. it would be like the baker stopping her unpaid interns from scrawling the n word all over their sheet cakes. reddit users are the product, not the customer and a company has every right to restrict speech among its contributors.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

theflyingexecutive posted:

reddit is nothing like a baker not making a cake for a gay wedding. it would be like the baker stopping her unpaid interns from scrawling the n word all over their sheet cakes.

um.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

theflyingexecutive posted:

reddit is nothing like a baker not making a cake for a gay wedding. it would be like the baker stopping her unpaid interns from scrawling the n word all over their sheet cakes. reddit users are the product, not the customer and a company has every right to restrict speech among its contributors.

I think it's actually more like if the customers at the Oklahoma City bakery spontaneously died of icing poisoning on the way to the sugar (n word) factory in Topeka, where the factory in the case represents Conde Nast management and the sprinkles are upvotes

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

at the date posted:

I think it's actually more like if the customers at the Oklahoma City bakery spontaneously died of icing poisoning on the way to the sugar (n word) factory in Topeka, where the factory in the case represents Conde Nast management and the sprinkles are upvotes

:iiapa:

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

reddit is like a baker only the cakes are all made of poo poo and the baker is too

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The results are in: Reddit is good.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
good for me to poop on

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

at the date posted:

lol

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

duTrieux. posted:

blamming reddit drama on the management team is like blaming the tire fire on the first responders.

my only beef is i frankly don't give a poo poo about the fire so just let it burn

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
the reddit

the reddit

the reddit's on fire

we don't need no wat-actually we need gasoline. lots of gasoline. maybe jet fuel.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

so if they're going after all the hate subs now why do they let stuff like /r/coontown exist? is making fun of fat people worse than outright racist hate speech?

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Citizen Tayne posted:

The results are in: Reddit is good.

no

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Sudo Echo posted:

so if they're going after all the hate subs now why do they let stuff like /r/coontown exist? is making fun of fat people worse than outright racist hate speech?

the official word is they are going after subreddits that encourage actual targeted harassment of people. hate speech is a-ok if it's generalized and not directed at specific people and even then afaik if you talk about specific people but don't encourage people to go carpet-bomb their blog with hate speech you'll still be ok.

the absolutely funniest loving part of all of this is reddit culture is anti-doxxing because when shitheels like violentacrez get outed they get harassed and fired and that's bad because that's chilling to free speech but somehow this new policy is also chilling to free speech.

so free speech for creeps and perverts is sacrosanct, but free speech for fatties and sjws is not important i guess lol gj reddit, gj

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
um what why isnt this thread closed meow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sudo Echo posted:

remember when the president did an ask/tell on the same website that hosts r/chimpout

• Locked thread