Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I wasn't expecting sdcc walkers for some reason (double sided) but I guess I'll be camping the web sale.

Count Bleck posted:

Captain Perfect the Shitspiggot Sculptor.

:argh:

Please stop posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

lardnar posted:

I think you want to use her more as a 4-damage burn spell that leaves you a planeswalker. In modern, you can cast her t3, then t4 tap -> bolt -> tap -> bolt -> tap/attack -> transform and shock something. Monastery swiftspear probably does that job way better, though. In standard, it depends on what burn/1 drops come in origins.

Jace seems really strong if his +1 is relevant. You need to fill your graveyard slowly/exile it quickly if you want to use him as a looter though, the flip trigger is mandatory on loot.

The thing about it is that whose gonna let you do that in a format where a bunch of things that kills an X/2 , like Downfall, Lightning Strike, Blight, Drown in Sorrow

There's an uncommon in standard right now that does red's job better than the titular redwalker, kill your opponent.

Snacksmaniac posted:

Please stop posting.

Jace Defense Force member spotted.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
Snapcaster Mage is up to $100. Is this real life?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Whelp.

Jace is fine at 1U I guess. Depends what else blue has to cast in standard at 2 when the time comes. Still his flip trigger is easy, and I can see it being a pretty fast flip in Modern. The Snapcaster-On-A-Stick is nice and fairly costed. And I like his +1 being a call back to his Ravnica incarnation.

Nissa is interesting, 3 CMC ramp card. I have two issues with it though. First her creature side is just a Civic Wayfinder/Borderland Ranger that can only get basic Forests. Secondly is that she only flips when your 7th or more land comes into play, not if you have 7 or more lands in play. I see that this synergies with her Ranger ability but I feel it makes it a bit more clunky. I don't see you playing her turn 5/6/7 after ramping as hard as you can then flipping. I see her being a turn 2/3 play and trying to keep your land drops up for an upside. I quite like her planeswalker side though. +1 Draw a card is great. And -2 get a 4/4 is ok, it's not +whatever get some 2/2s forever like Garruk but it's not bad. I don't think anyone will ever be wanting to -7 her for serious, getting 6 6/6's is cool and all but it will take you 4 turns of her being a Planeswalker to get there and if you're a ramp deck you have better things to do. Maybe if they had trample it would be better.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

morning wood posted:

It goes in every blue deck in Modern, every blue deck in legacy and every blue deck in vintage (short of merfolk)

Edit: Whoops double post, my bad.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

morning wood posted:

The second coming of Tarmogoyf :barf:

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Entropic posted:

It depends how much you think 1/1 vs 0/2 matters.

Plus the flipping isn't optional once you hit 5 cards in your graveyard and the planeswalker side doesn't help you dig for cards.
Haha didn't even notice that. That is actually kind of obnoxious that you can't even choose to keep it around as a looter.

Count Bleck posted:

Like my main beef with the Chandra is how often does a 2/2 survive combat on turn 4? The answer is almost never, and she'll probably only ever flip when you are winning anyway.
Wait, I haven't been keeping with Chandra discussion, do people really consider casting 2 red spells on turn 4 a huge cost?

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013

Gridlocked posted:

It goes in every blue deck in Modern, every blue deck in legacy and every blue deck in vintage (short of merfolk)

Edit: Whoops double post, my bad.

It was a ~$30 card a few months ago.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

morning wood posted:

It was a ~$30 card a few months ago.

And it was worth more than that then, too.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Twiddy posted:

Haha didn't even notice that. That is actually kind of obnoxious that you can't even choose to keep it around as a looter.

Wait, I haven't been keeping with Chandra discussion, do people really consider casting 2 red spells on turn 4 a huge cost?

No. No, dammit.

No.

Nobody's going to let you do 3 damage with her, they know what happens if they do.

Where as with Nissa you get to fetch a land and a bear for 3 mana, which is decent, and with Jace it's piss easy to get the condition, the colors that would consider Jace probably have a couple cards on turn 2 anyway, be it fetches, probes, or Visions.

Again, I'm mostly mad she doesn't have haste.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Entropic posted:

Are we looking at the same card? She flips when you hit your 7th land.

A lot of ramp strats rely on nonland sources, like rattleclaw. All of the ramp worth a poo poo in standard is dudes and not extra land, anyway.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Count Bleck posted:

No. No, dammit.

No.

Nobody's going to let you do 3 damage with her, they know what happens if they do.

Where as with Nissa you get to fetch a land and a bear for 3 mana, which is decent, and with Jace it's piss easy to get the condition, the colors that would consider Jace probably have a couple cards on turn 2 anyway, be it fetches, probes, or Visions.

Uh... what? Dude, they don't have a say in the matter if you have two red spells, and if you're talking about them killing her they can just do the same to Jace. Obviously all the PWs are pretty much kill on sight.

You seem kind of angry here.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

No. No, dammit.

No.

She wants First Strike a hell of a lot more than she wants Haste dude

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

TheKingofSprings posted:

And it was worth more than that then, too.

I feel bad for someone who just started Magic, but basically everyone in this thread has been saying "BUY SNAPCASTER IT IS GOING TO GO UP" since Innistrad rotated. Pretty much everyone paying any attention whatsoever saw this coming.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

It's unfortunate that Borderland Ranger and Merfolk Looter are considered so overpowered today that strictly worse versions of them can only be printed at mythic.

No seriously both of those are much worse than their common counterparts and Borderland Ranger has probably seen way more constructed play than any of the 5 walkers will see in their lifetimes.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

A lot of ramp strats rely on nonland sources, like rattleclaw. All of the ramp worth a poo poo in standard is dudes and not extra land, anyway.

True. She won't be good if we get Eldrazi Spawn strategies and stuff in the fall. But Nykthos is rotating out, and who knows, we could get a bunch of rampant growth effects to help cast those Eldrazi.

And hell, maybe there ends up being a bant control deck or something where she's a late game card draw engine / finisher. I think she has potential, it just depends hugely on what Standard actually looks like come fall. I definitely don't see her doing much before rotation.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Count Bleck posted:

Jace Defense Force member spotted.

I'd like to apply to join this group.

morning wood posted:

Uh. It's the same $80ish it was a few days ago. You made me feel stupid for selling my spares for a second there.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Ultima66 posted:

It's unfortunate that Borderland Ranger and Merfolk Looter are considered so overpowered today that strictly worse versions of them can only be printed at mythic.

No seriously both of those are much worse than their common counterparts and Borderland Ranger has probably seen way more constructed play than any of the 5 walkers will see in their lifetimes.

"An 0/2 that transforms into a Planeswalker is much worse than a 1/1 that draws you a card and makes you discard a card."

Okay.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Ultima66 posted:

strictly worse

:can:

So no spoilers on Gideon? I'm gonna guess he flips based on the number of creatures you control and makes tokens. Or is that too Elspethy?

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

Uh. It's the same $80ish it was a few days ago. You made me feel stupid for selling my spares for a second there.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Snapcaster is officially as expensive as Jace.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

StarCity doesn't count since they're always 10-20% over TCGplayer market.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

GonSmithe posted:

"An 0/2 that transforms into a Planeswalker is much worse than a 1/1 that draws you a card and makes you discard a card."

Okay.

The planeswalker is a much worse card than just having a looter in play and it's not optional.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Entropic posted:

So no spoilers on Gideon? I'm gonna guess he flips based on the number of creatures you control and makes tokens. Or is that too Elspethy?

Gideon's gimmick is that he turns himself into a creature and interacts with the amount of creatures your opponents control. So it'd be more, like, if your opponent controls x more creatures than you do flip Gideon.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It'll be funny if Gideon is a creature that turns into a planeswalker that can turn into a creature.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

StarCity doesn't count since they're always 10-20% over TCGplayer market.

I would consider it a fair tool for card prices considering every brick and mortar store I've ever been to uses it as a starting point for their card values when negotiating sales or trades. :shrug:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Entropic posted:

Gideon's storyline gimmick is that he killed an "unkillable" opponent to ignite his spark.

He'll have to kill something to transform.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

She wants First Strike a hell of a lot more than she wants Haste dude

True.

Twiddy posted:

Uh... what? Dude, they don't have a say in the matter if you have two red spells, and if you're talking about them killing her they can just do the same to Jace. Obviously all the PWs are pretty much kill on sight.

You seem kind of angry here.

Little bit.

They also do have a say if they have the kill spell while you're pinging poo poo, but I digress, she's probably the weakest of all the walkers spoiled so far.

I mean Liliana has lifelink for gently caress sake, why couldn't Chandra have a red keyword?

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Gideon's storyline gimmick is that he killed an "unkillable" opponent to ignite his spark.

Oh god.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

TheKingofSprings posted:

So he'll be like Bushi Tenderfoot, but not crap?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

He might just be something along the lines of "Whenever a creature you don't control dies, transform Gideon."

Or he'll actually be the first strike creature.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Oraculum Animi posted:

Gideon's gimmick is that he turns himself into a creature and interacts with the amount of creatures your opponents control. So it'd be more, like, if your opponent controls x more creatures than you do flip Gideon.

He's going to have the effect on Blaze of Glory and flips if he blocks 5 or more creatures.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Count Bleck posted:

He might just be something along the lines of "Whenever a creature you don't control dies, transform Gideon."

That seems way more black than white

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

That seems way more black than white

Fair enough. Maybe it'll just be what Oraculum Animi said.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Only because ramp sucks poo poo right now. I hope Harrow gets reprinted in BfZ.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

So he killed the R/G god in theros right?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

So he killed the R/G god in theros right?

That was Elspeth

E: I'm guessing Gideon will have a Reprisal effect on tap and will flip when it triggers

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

That was Elspeth

There wasn't an R/G God before we went to Theros. The temple was abandoned. Xenagos merely assumed the role of new R/G God.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

There wasn't an R/G God before we went to Theros. The temple was abandoned. Xenagos merely assumed the role of new R/G God.

Does Gideon, dicksucker and fellator of order and law seem like the type who would kill a god of a plane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Does Gideon, dicksucker and fellator of order and law seem like the type who would kill a god of a plane

On accident, maybe!

• Locked thread