Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

drat, "hypocrite" really is the worst critisism our society can muster, isn't it.

The Last Psychiatrist posted:

In the age of authenticity and identity an easy way is for the media to "expose" people, e.g. show that what the candidate believes and what he says are different, i.e. that at best they "just say stuff to get elected" and at worst they are hypocritical ideologues, but this way of thinking is a media template, this is not how individual psychology works, not today. Do you think that when everyone in Congress voted to invade Iraq, they were saying to themselves, "I really think this is a bad idea, but the stupid rednecks in my zipcode all want it, and I want to get re-elected, but I feel a little guilty for doing it"? WRONG. Each of them created an explanation for why voting for war was right. NO GUILT. Some truly wanted it, sure; others... figured out how to want it. The important thing is to stay true to yourself.

Ours is a narcissistic society, i.e. each of us has never experienced hypocrisy because we are constantly amending our moral code so that we don't ever do something against our conscience, "this situation is different"; but since each of us has never committed the sin of hypocrisy, it must, therefore, be the worst of all sins. So on a societal scale, who will find and "punish" hypocrisy? The answer is the media. If you consider the media is, for all intents and purposes, society's "maternal superego"-- the one that makes you feel b/m/sad for not being as fulfilled as you're supposed to be-- then the media's job is to pretend to have uncovered the REAL motivations for things. Now you feel better.

Rest of the post here and it's great and also goes over the leaked Romney 47% video in an interesting way, among other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Is she seeing the ghost of Vince foster?

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't get it. Is there one particular thing that "hypocrisy" is meant to point out or is it just the word, "Hypocrisy" standing alone, in reference to everything. I'm pretty sure it's the later but, that's really dumb.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Ted Cruz to supporters: running for President sucks, please send me money to make it suck less.

quote:

Dear ----- ,

I'm about to ask you to make a sacrifice in the next 48 hours. But before I do, I want you to know: I wouldn't ask you if I hadn't already done it myself.

Please let me briefly explain.

You see, running for President of the United States is a significant sacrifice. Only through prayer and many late night discussions with my wife, family, and closest friends did I make THE decision.
And I must share with you -- I've committed to sacrificing a great deal for our campaign:

>>> Time with my family: Spending almost every day on the campaign trail or fighting on the Senate floor means precious little time spent with my wife, Heidi, and my daughters -- the very family that gives me the motivation and drive to fight.

>>> Health and sleep: My runoff campaign for the Senate in 2012 took a toll, but now I'm sacrificing even more sleep with long nights and constant travel. And the pizza diet is a staple on the campaign trail.

>>> Finances: the cost of campaigning back and forth across the country for president is increasingly expensive, but Heidi and I are willing to invest our livelihoods into this sacrifice.

>>> Personal time: You think of this the least, but as a candidate, my days are no longer my own. Days start before dawn and many times don't end until early the next morning. There is almost no personal time when you run for president.

------, I've chosen to sacrifice part of mine and my families lives to run for President -- but I think you will agree with me that the sacrifice is well worth it.

Unless courageous conservatives are willing to make tough sacrifices to stand up and fight, we will not be able to restore America.

Today, I'm asking you to make a sacrifice -----. Will you join me by making a special, one-time gift to my campaign?
I've asked my staff to put together these secure links below so you can make an instant and secure sacrificial gift -- it can be done in just 5 minutes.

I can sacrifice $35 to restore America >>

I can sacrifice $100 to restore America >>

I can sacrifice $250 to restore America >>

I can sacrifice $1000 to restore America >>

Will you be a courageous conservative and make a special gift today to help restore America? I can only reach this goal with your help.
I wouldn't ask you if 1) I wasn't willing to make the same sacrifice myself; and 2) the stakes weren't so high.
------, time is critical, and if you will, please make this special gift in the next 48 hours -- I would be so grateful.

For liberty,

Ted Cruz

:qq:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sorry ted the only sacrifice that matters to me IS WHEN THE LORD GAVE HIS ONLY BEGOTTEN SON perhaps you forgot about JESUS OUR SAVIOR

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

Ted Cruz posted:

:qq:

Wow. That's lame even for him. "Sacrifice the $5 you need to feed your family this week!"

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Everyone that enters should win a chance for a surprise meet and greet at whatever private club he happens to be at next dressed in a black vest.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
Mitt Romney is a guy that simply could not accept losing even at the little things.. the guy shot himself in the foot with that approach to life

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

radical meme posted:

I don't get it. Is there one particular thing that "hypocrisy" is meant to point out or is it just the word, "Hypocrisy" standing alone, in reference to everything. I'm pretty sure it's the later but, that's really dumb.

I think a lot of it is about her Wall St donor pool as the Republicans are criticized for being puppets of their billionaire benefactors.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
I found the quote they should use for Trump's campaign while wandering a vintage store in New Orleans today:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Candidate tracker 6/13

We all know about the Hillary announcement rally. Here is the full speech.
Pretty good group of photos of who and what was happening. I wish I could find attendance numbers for this. [url= Click here to visit SA]Meanwhile in Marshalltown, IA. Everyone went to see Bernie.[/url]

FEEL THE BERN # He was in Des Moines, Marshalltown, and Cedar Rapids.

Did Rand Paul Really Eat at In-N-Out? Tacos in Photo . Who knows. He did eat and speak at the Lincoln Reagan Dinner. Tickets to the event were only $250.

Bobby Jindal was in Charleston, SC for some prayers. I think this is his interview on tomorrows Meet the Press put up early on accident..

Mike Huckabee stopped in South Carolina today and yesterday. He visited Rock Hill, Spartanburg, Moore, Gaffney, Indian Land and one of those is in Lancaster County.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

messagemode1 posted:

I think a lot of it is about her Wall St donor pool as the Republicans are criticized for being puppets of their billionaire benefactors.

I think it's more that the GOP's role as puppets is a far more detrimental series of actions than Hillary's role as puppet. There's a lot to argue about when asking whether the wealth-concentrating effect of huge banks on wall street writing their pet legislation is more harmful than huge carbon polluters and christers doing the same but the polluters and bigots are far more visible and more crystallized. New York versus Kansas, for example.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I found the quote they should use for Trump's campaign while wandering a vintage store in New Orleans today:

Douneld B Shmmmmmmmp

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mr Hootington posted:

Is she seeing the ghost of Vince foster?

She just realized where Bill got the fabric for her blue outfit.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Internet Webguy posted:

Douneld B Shmmmmmmmp

It's his long form signature.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Internet Webguy posted:

Douneld B Shmmmmmmmp

Glad I'm not the only one who saw this.

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

It's his long form signature.

:thurman:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

I got an email from the Bernie campaign apparently about Hillary Clinton but they decided to scan a letter in Bernie's illegible handwriting instead of typing it out.

why

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

I got an email from the Bernie campaign apparently about Hillary Clinton but they decided to scan a letter in Bernie's illegible handwriting instead of typing it out.

why

a prescription for america.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

It took a little while to puzzle out "turnouts" and "grassroots" but this isn't that hard to read. Still pretty dumb, though. Most people probably won't try.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I wonder how many Bernie supporters are young enough that cursive is illegible in just about any form.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ya know, if I had to pick the first candidate to ever start bitching about how its too much effort making anyone like him, it would have been Cruz for so many reasons.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

V. Illych L. posted:

I imagine Hillary would probably want to boost Rubio as much as possible, force the Republicans to spend money in the primaries rather than just letting Bush cruise to victory like she is with the Democrats. Having the Republicans do her opposition research for her also seems like a good idea

It seems Bush is doing a fine job of stopping Bush cruising to victory. And Rubio actually polls significantly better against Clinton that Jeb does.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gyges posted:

I wonder how many Bernie supporters are young enough that cursive is illegible in just about any form.

If you assume people who were taught cursive are able to read some of it, then probably not as many as you'd think. There is a recurring meme about teachers lying about cursive being useful, however.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fulchrum posted:

It seems Bush is doing a fine job of stopping Bush cruising to victory. And Rubio actually polls significantly better against Clinton that Jeb does.

For reference, this is what "significantly better" amounts to, so you can imagine how JEB's doing.

e: Okay, here's JEB:

:lol: GUYS IT'S STILL REALLY EARLY THIS MEANS NOTHING

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 14, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

computer parts posted:

If you assume people who were taught cursive are able to read some of it, then probably not as many as you'd think. There is a recurring meme about teachers lying about cursive being useful, however.

I'm happy I know cursive because I can sign my name quickly and there's rare occasions I need to read it, but it's mostly a useless skill. Secretary's short hand probably has more practical applications.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Relentlessboredomm posted:

That quote is balls. He should have ended with "But how much you win by."

BristolSOF
Jan 19, 2003
Presidential Candidates logos ranked

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly

Evil Fluffy posted:

She just realized where Bill got the fabric for her blue outfit.

:boom:

BristolSOF
Jan 19, 2003

BristolSOF fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 16, 2015

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

BristolSOF posted:

Why don't we standardize voting in federal elections?

After that, why isn't there online voting? Can't one state attempt this? I imagine the turnout would be significantly higher.

The constitution:

quote:

The times, places and manner of holding elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each state by the legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by law make or alter such regulations, except as to the places of choosing Senators.

quote:

Each state shall appoint, in such manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a number of electors, equal to the whole number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress: but no Senator or Representative, or person holding an office of trust or profit under the United States, shall be appointed an elector.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Ted Cruz 2016 - Sacrifice your family, God demands it

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Rincewinds posted:

Ted Cruz 2016 - Sacrifice your family, God demands it

So a Presidential version of Binding of Issac.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Is he really sinking his own money into his primary campaign ('Heidi and me are investing our livelihood', etc), or is that just a bald faced lie?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

why

Dear Friend,

I received your gift of a ham. I sense it's precisely what I need to set my plans into motion.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

richardfun posted:

Is he really sinking his own money into his primary campaign ('Heidi and me are investing our livelihood', etc), or is that just a bald faced lie?

Don't most candidates toss some of their cash in to pay for poo poo and then wait for their associated SuperPAXS to recover the loss?

Unless you're Meg Whitman, I mean.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Gosh, Ted, maybe you should step down from the Senate if you truly believe in focusing everything on your campaign.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Watched Homophobicus Maximus on Face the Nation until my desire to punch the monitor forced me to warm up my coffee instead.

Meanwhile,

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I'm also reminded of

Grey Fox fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 14, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

richardfun posted:

Unless he's a complete idiot (and it is Ted Cruz, so we have to consider the possibility) he's lying. He was one of the bigger fundraisers this spring and should have plenty of other people's cash on hand.

Also, too, yessssssssssssss! Here's a clean version:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

Also, too, yessssssssssssss! Here's a clean version:

So is this "Jeb! 2016" or "Jeb 2016!"?

This also seems like something where they either made this in five minutes in print shop. Or hired a consultant for millions of dollars and this is what they came up with.

• Locked thread