Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Colosmicon posted:

You're in luck, Steam refunds are now a thing.

Yeah, bad faith early access games are gonna get a whole lot less common with that around. Luckily Nuclear Throne is about as far as you can get from bad faith early access. If it's the kind of game you're into, there's a whole lot of playtime in it for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Why is this not going on sale? Tons of other early access games do?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Megasabin posted:

Why is this not going on sale? Tons of other early access games do?

The team's philosophy is that the game's not worth being on sale until there's a whole game to be purchased. Early Access, to them, is for people who want to beta test the game, not just have it at a discount.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/nuclearthrone/announcements/detail/221021887376895911/

quote:

We just wanted to put out a quick reminder that Nuclear Throne will not be in the Steam Summer Sales, or in any sale in any capacity for that matter, while it's in Early Access.

To us, Early Access is a way to gather feedback and improve the game, and not a way to maximize our profits or earn quick money prior to launch. We've found that the quality of feedback is higher with a dedicated community that loves roguelike-likes, instead of thousands of people that bought the game 'because it was on sale'.

While we appreciate that many of you are excited for Nuclear Throne, the game will remain $12.99 while in Early Access. After the game hits version 1.0 (which is currently scheduled to hit in a couple of months), we'll drop the price to $11.99. A while after release we'll start considering sales, but at this timeline that means the game very likely won't be on sale until the end of this year, or early next year.

Thanks so much for your support, and for helping us make Nuclear Throne the best game we can possibly make it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Heads up, there's a bug with the update that just dropped.

Sometimes this happens when you get shot by a bullet from a golden scorpion. Haven't had it happen for any other enemy yet.

edit: Did some more testing and it seems to only apply either a) on the hit that would kill you or b) the bullets from the explosion when the scorpion dies. Need to narrow it down further.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jun 14, 2015

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
How is this game co-op? Does it play well or is it really meant to be played solo?

Colosmicon
Jan 5, 2013

Megasabin posted:

How is this game co-op? Does it play well or is it really meant to be played solo?

It's not co-op. Right now multiplayer is just a "maybe" on a very long list of features that Vlambeer wants to add to the game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Colosmicon posted:

It's not co-op. Right now multiplayer is just a "maybe" on a very long list of features that Vlambeer wants to add to the game.

The game has fully implemented co-op right now, though. And it works pretty well! There is some weirdness with the text on the mutations screen and you can't both play as the same character because of the limitations of game maker and player objects, but other than that it works almost without a hitch.

In fact there's only one change to the gameplay in co-op: Big health boxes no longer restore your health if one player is dead, instead they bring them back to life.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
You can co-op on a single machine! But I wouldn't recommend buying it for co-op now. It's a fast paced difficult action game, and my experience is that in co-op someone dies really fast. It's great for single player tho.

Colosmicon
Jan 5, 2013

CJacobs posted:

The game has fully implemented co-op right now, though. And it works pretty well! There is some weirdness with the text on the mutations screen and you can't both play as the same character because of the limitations of game maker and player objects, but other than that it works almost without a hitch.

In fact there's only one change to the gameplay in co-op: Big health boxes no longer restore your health if one player is dead, instead they bring them back to life.

:negative: In my perpetual loneliness I have forgotten that local co-op exists.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's alright, I hadn't considered that Megasabin might have been asking about online co-op because I only play this game co-op in real life with my sister so I'm in a similar boat I guess.

Online co-op is almost completely impossible in Game Maker so I wouldn't get your hopes up for it, for what it's worth. Look to Risk of Rain, another pretty awesome game made in Game Maker, for how poorly it can turn out. In that game you can play online but you can't create a server, you have to have one person open an unused internet port of their choosing to connections, and then have the other parties directly connect to them via their IP address in order to play with them. It's really the only way you can do it that wouldn't murder the game's performance/latency in online mode and even then, with Risk of Rain's solution the latency is dependent on the clients' connection to the host. A fast-paced game like this would be unplayable.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jun 14, 2015

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
funnily enough, risk of rain is also a fast-paced game

yeah it doesn't really work out

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
My buddy and I spent a good couple hours playing Nuclear Throne, either taking turns single-player or playing the then-buggy co-op mode, it was a blast. Then he was like "hey you should really try Risk of Rain, it's fun!" and half an hour later with no shouting or laughter, quietly shooting pixels he said "I'm sorry, this is not nearly as fun as I thought it would be."

I'm sure it's a great game but dang, even local co-op Risk of Rain is a total buzzkill after Nuclear Throne.

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!
Here's the patch notes for Update 77 by the way:

quote:

Features
Safer spawns.
Game over screen overhaul, now also showing what killed you.
New shell weapon, the Eraser. Combines the best of both sluggers and ordinary shotguns.

Balancing
Thrown weapons now deal more damage and are a bit bouncier when they hit walls.
New Chicken Ultra B: Thrown weapons teleport back to your secondary slot.
New Chicken Throne Butt: Thrown weapons pierce (her old Ultra B).
Better rate of fire for the Double Shotgun, Sawed Off Shotgun, and Heavy Slugger.
Slightly less damage for the Energy Sword.

Fixes
Fixed a rare bug causing Horror to spawn outside the level.
You now play your damage animation and sound when eating a cursed weapon as Robot.
Fixed Scarier Face waking up Assassins and Alligators.
Fixed a weird thing where sleeping Assassins thought they should deal contact damage.
Certain cars now have a nicer explosion.
Melting's HP is now rounded up when divided by two.

Misc
Chicken now bleeds a lot for the last second before dying.
Sounds for Cursed Weapons.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
"Fixed Scarier Face waking up Assassins and Alligators." is really nice, as is "Better rate of fire for the Double Shotgun, Sawed Off Shotgun, and Heavy Slugger."

Maybe now I'll actually use a heavy slugger ever(probably not)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's so cool when I finally loop and on 1-1 an assassin hits me a single time but it hits a million times to instakill me when I have full health and strong spirit on. :thumbsup:

Still way too many of my runs ending to this bullshit.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The new Eraser weapon is bananas, especially if you have shotgun shoulders. :stare:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Gamma Guts should make you immune to poison clouds, as a buff.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!
I'm really bad at this game but getting better as I play more and learning what enemies do. So today I learned that the big spinny dog thing at the end of the junkyard explodes when it dies. Woops. He's really easy with melee and really annoying with out but I guess I have to back off when he's going down. It's fun and I'm glad I started playing it again yesterday. I have a few things I was curious about:
Is there some sort of consistent way to spawn the side levels like the ninja turtle one?
Where the gently caress do I get crowns? I think I saw one drop in the sewers but I'm not sure. I spawned the turtle portal and it killed the whole stage, then I couldn't reach all the rads and what I think was a crown.
Is there any consistently stronger characters and/or mutations? So far I like Robot and Melting best. Horror makes me nervous I'm going to waste rads on missed shots and everyone else just seems to have lovely powers.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Crystal is really good if you're just starting out, and also in general. Scarier face and most ammo/health related Mutations are good. You can get crowns by charging up, then destroying Crown Statues (they look like big brownish squares, when you shoot them once they "activate" and start sucking up rads. When they've sucked up enough, they get "charged", and when you destroy it you get taken to the crown vault). Crown Statues start appearing in I think Frozen City? Maybe Scrapyard? Side levels all have a specific event that must occur to get them (for example, the Pizza Turtle Sewer requires an explosion to happen over the manhole that spawns on the ground in the sewers)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Nevvy Z posted:

Is there some sort of consistent way to spawn the side levels like the ninja turtle one?
Yes, every level has a specific way you get into it. To get to the pizza sewers, you need to find this in the sewers-

-and then blow it up with an explosive weapon.

To get to oasis, you need to grab both the chests and the rad canister on a desert level really quickly without killing enemies. This makes big bandit spawn(even if you're on 1-1 or 1-2). Then, you need to kill him really quickly, and a portal to oasis will appear. Beating oasis skips you straight to the bigdog fight.

To get to Y.V's mansion, you need to bring a screwdriver to 3-1, or find on on that level. Then find the car that looks like this-

-and hit it with the screwdriver, which turns it into this.

Which you hit E on to enter Y.V's mansion.

Nevvy Z posted:

Where the gently caress do I get crowns? I think I saw one drop in the sewers but I'm not sure. I spawned the turtle portal and it killed the whole stage, then I couldn't reach all the rads and what I think was a crown.
On some levels(each X-2 level starting on 3-2) you can find proto portals.

They start out closed, but once you shoot them enough they open. Then, you need to kill things around them, and the rads those things drop will be sucked into the portal, charging it(this makes police come, by the way). Once it's fully charged, you break it, which spawns a green portal that takes you to a crown vault where you can choose a crown.
Each crown has upsides, but also significant downsides. You can also start a run with a crown, but I would recommend practicing without one first. I usually don't use them.

The pizza sewers contains medkits which are reskinned to look like pizza slices and when you pop open the portal to the pizza sewers any medkits on the sewers will be changed to look like pizza slices as well, which is probably what you saw.

Nevvy Z posted:

Is there any consistently stronger characters and/or mutations? So far I like Robot and Melting best. Horror makes me nervous I'm going to waste rads on missed shots and everyone else just seems to have lovely powers.
I really like Robot.
Fish is super powerful on loops lategame because of his ultra mutation B(each character gets to choose one of two final mutations specific to them when they hit level 10. Fish's B ultra mutation gives him unlimited ammo for the first ten seconds of each level). Same goes for melting. Rebel is really powerful even if you don't use her allies(which own) because she heals when she goes through portals, Plant is really powerful because his throne butt totally chumps bosses. Steroids isn't always great but you can have super powerful runs with him. Horror used to be far and away the best character and is still good because their rad-beam destroys enemy projectiles, and once you hit level 10 you don't need rads for leveling anymore. Eyes is ok, chicken is ok. Crystal is newbie friendly because HP. The only character I would say is a bit underpowered is Rogue.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jun 15, 2015

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
crowns: see that diamond statue in the junkyard? shoot it until it does weird things, then let it suck up rads, then break it completely when it seems like it's charged up

e:fb

also there's a way to access crowns from the start, you'll figure it out if you click things in the main menu

good characters: y.v. is really good, being able to pop pop/brrrap stuff with burst damage means you can kill things one-on-one fast without having to rely as much on good weapon drops. also, try hitting the b button to use the most powerful secret technique in the gun god arsenal
crystal is probably overpowered. she can reflect enemy bullets without a melee weapon, and teleportation is probably the strongest throne butt (though until you get used to it it has a decent chance of getting you killed). try mixing her throne butt with gamma guts for hilarious telefrag fun.
fish's ammo pickup bonus is stronger than it seems. i never have gotten the hang of using his dodging though.
plant is really good in corridors and such if you remember to use their root snare, also their throne butt is great for assassinating bosses.
rebel is really good at surviving doing stupid bullshit, that guaranteed health regain (well, guaranteed if you drop below 7/11 anyway) will keep you alive longer than you expect
rogue, her big thing is basically speedrunning advantage for advanced players, i never do well with her :v:
steroids can shoot 2 weapons at once. really, if you need elucidation on why this is a strength i don't know what more to say. i tend to use bullethose weapons on him because shooting, say, a crossbow and a slugger simultaneously and accurately is a little difficult for me

the characters i don't like using are usually rogue, eyes, and plant, and chicken because i just can't leverage their strengths well.

note that i haven't played new chicken much at all so i don't know how powerful she is now

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 15, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I literally forgot that y.v. exists lol

Crystal is nowhere near OP. They're fine, but more just easy to use than strong because they get extra HP and a shield in exchange for having the most underwhelming ultra mutations of all time

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
mutations: for a good time, try rabbit paw and plutonium hunger. rabbit paw significantly increases the number of ammo and health enemies drop and plutonium hunger makes it infinitely easier to actually pick up them up

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
crystal would still be top-tier if she had -2 max health (brittle) instead of +2, imo

also i am somewhat inebriated and i managed to make it to the 5-1 on the daily, go me

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
here's a pro tip: for some reason it became "common knowledge" in the NT community for a while that the pop gun is garbage(I've seen multiple people say that it is objectively worse than the revolver) but uh actually it's a gun that has a 0.07 second firing delay aka fast as gently caress(more than twice as fast as the revolver, and the machinegun, etc), it's very good early on. Don't be swindled by their lies

Tollymain posted:

crystal would still be top-tier if she had -2 max health (brittle) instead of +2, imo

also i am somewhat inebriated and i managed to make it to the 5-1 on the daily, go me
crystal isn't even top tier now

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the pop gun and pop rifle are pretty great, though you need to have ammo mutations fast if you don't want to run out of bullets with the former

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
note that the pop gun's projectiles deal 2/3s of the damage of revolver shots (and most other bullets), though

it's kind of bad if you don't have an ammo plan, basically

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Not if you're up close! Shotgun pellet projectiles do 3 up close, 2 farther away.

get rowdy get aggressive

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wait really? where did you hear that

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I heard it right here, personally: http://nuclear-throne.wikia.com/wiki/Weapons

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
On the Nuclear Throne wiki, which unlike a lot of game wikis is actually totally on point. And you can see the difference in damage yourself when you get eagle eyes with a shotgun and hit an enemy with all the pellets from a bit away, compared to right up point blank.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's also in a loading screen tip. :v:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Yeah for whatever reason the pop gun's bullets act like shotgun shells; they also ricochet. Pop gun + shotgun fingers = :supaburn:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
That damage falloff thing does also apply to sluggers, by the way, but it's far less extreme-instead of losing 1/3rd of your damage, you drop from 24 to 22. Shotgun is 21 close and 14 far, if you hit with all 7 pellets. Also the shotgun's fire delay is 0.57 instead of the slugger's 0.73, which is a big part of why I prefer shotgun over slugger.

Also I just recorded a run starting right after I found an Eraser and it's pretty rad, it shoots the same amount of pellets as a sawed-off(18) except it shoots them all packed together in a totally straight line, and it has fairly long range as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sodhfPPOR2w

At around 3:12 I kill lil hunter with a sweet ricochet shot and it's satisfying as hell

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
I swear to god my game is cursed. I've been to 0-1 4 or 5 times and have never gotten past it, and my latest attempt at it saw me with an Eraser and a Smart Gun (with Recycle Gland even). I had plenty of ammo but the IDPD swarm before the Throne dropped me to 1 HP and then I got trapped by the Throne.

Never gonna loop I guess.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

IronicDongz posted:

here's a pro tip: for some reason it became "common knowledge" in the NT community for a while that the pop gun is garbage

A holdover from long long long ago before the Pop Gun was buffed.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

I had to gif this moment because it was rad

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
I found out today that if you're playing Chicken with the Crown of Death and you blow yourself up with an explosive, the game crashes. So uh, don't do that.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

While the eraser does look awesome, their description made me think it would be like a normal shotgun except all the pellets would be slugs, and I'm kind of disappointed that isn't a weapon now. Super slugger doesn't count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

Gestalt Intellect posted:

While the eraser does look awesome, their description made me think it would be like a normal shotgun except all the pellets would be slugs, and I'm kind of disappointed that isn't a weapon now. Super slugger doesn't count.

I wonder if it would turn into that while playing Steroids without Eagle Eyes? Or is it a perfectly accurate weapon?

• Locked thread