Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

grack posted:

Goddamnit Bioware where is my housecoat, fuzzy bunny slippers and mug of milky tea so I can reach peak rear end in a top hat-ness while I sentence people to death DLC?

I'd buy a DLC that was just a long train of hilarious judgement and maybe a followup mission or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

xthnru posted:

I see horses, and I see armor, but where's my horse armor?

Shoulda bought the deluxe edition :smuggo:

Warmachine posted:

I'd buy a DLC that was just a long train of hilarious judgement and maybe a followup mission or two.

Only if it has Josephine making faces like when you're asked to judge the remains of whatsherface.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I'm wondering if they'll make some DLC that is specifically post-game -now the big bad has been taken care of and we're in charge of a major political organization with a big fuckoff army. All sorts of hijinx could ensue.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

SubponticatePoster posted:

I'm wondering if they'll make some DLC that is specifically post-game -now the big bad has been taken care of and we're in charge of a major political organization with a big fuckoff army. All sorts of hijinx could ensue.

Yeah, there's all kinds of nonsense for the Inquisition to deal with even without our favorite semi-lich stomping about. The whole question of what to do with this semi-nation after the dust settles is one that I'd like to see answered.

I'd prefer that answer to not be any variation of "feed ourselves into a blood magic ritual for shortsighted scheme" or "ravage the countryside as ironfisted tyrannical zealots", if possible.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Snuffman posted:

All three games have always done "choice and consequence" better than anything Bioware has ever made.

If by "better" you mean "everything sucks and everyone you help murders people", then sure. It does get a bit predictable, though.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Snuffman posted:

Preface: I liked DA:I

The Witcher 3 is wide open and freeroamy but every detail feels more meticulously crafted, the random missions you stumble upon are quick but meaningful.

DA:I feels like an MMO turned single player, The Witcher 3 does not.

They're both good games, but Bioware and Bethesda gotta step up their open world game, cause CDProjekt set the new gold standard.

EDIT: If you're interested in trying them now, be aware:
-Witcher 1 has not aged well at all. Skip it. The only thing it does well now is easing you into the world better than the sequels. The plot has little bearing on future games.

-Witcher 2 is not open world. The "Acts" are reminiscent of the larger areas of DA:I, though. Main storyline, side quests and some exploring.

All three games have always done "choice and consequence" better than anything Bioware has ever made.

All of this plus the fact CDPR doesn't seem interested in nickle and diming their fans. They've been releasing a bunch of DLC freeeeee.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Lord Lambeth posted:

All of this plus the fact CDPR doesn't seem interested in nickle and diming their fans. They've been releasing a bunch of DLC freeeeee.

the little dlcs that theyve been putting out are just marketing i think though admittedly pretty cool. the real deal with those guys is that they released full overhaul patches for both 1 and 2 that even included fmvs for the second. all for free. hell of a company

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

When CDPR released Witcher Enhanced edition for free to anyone who bought it already I could not actually believe it for a while. It was just not the way companies did things, and honestly you didn't expect them to put that much work into something and not ask for a price. When you buy from CDPR, you can expect good post release service.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
CD Projekt Red owns GOG.com, right? It's a good situation for a dev to be in and why they can get away with giving stuff away I guess

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Lord Lambeth posted:

They've been releasing a bunch of DLC freeeeee.

Ehh... The "free" dlc so far has been an alternate skin for one character, 2 short quests, 2 suits of alternate armour, crossbows and an alternate card game skin.

The sort of stuff that a company with no scruples would charge a dollar or two a piece for.

It's cool that it's free but let's not kid ourselves that it's anything remotely substantial (yet...).

The real DLC expansion stuff comes out later this year and next year and they do cost real money.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Why? I don't play the Witcher games so this is a honest question.

The attention to detail is enormous. The guys at CD Projekt are simply committed to their game in a whole different level than Bioware and it shows. In the weeks after launch they have already addressed all the criticisms the game received in patches and in interviews. It took Bioware four months to correct serious stability issues with the game (it only stopped crashing for me and several others after patch 6) and some complaints were not even addressed at all (like the broken-armed elves).

The larger comparison point between Wild Hunt and DAI is just how much better and authentic the semi-open world is pulled off in The Witcher than DA. Even just in the opening tutorial zone in The Witcher, the world actually feels like a lived in world and not just some pretty MMO level. And I think in large part, its the attention to detail and little things that add up to ahcieve that feeling- the day night cycle, the dynamic weather, having actual towns and villages with actual people going about their daily routines- those are all things completely missing from DAI that in retrospect make the world there feel static and less a living breathing world and more like a pretty diorama.

Hell, going across a burned out town and seeing some NPC family hugging as their kid sat crying amidst the ashes of their home was far more emotionally affecting than anything I came across in the world of DA:I and yet both games at times are trying to basically portray the same sort of war torn world. With DAI, most of the environmental storytelling is relegated to random skeletons clutching letters or cheese wheels. If BioWare is going to keep on going down the whole open world path, they need to step their game up majorly because Wild Hunt absolutely puts them to shame, not only in terms of crafting a world you can give a drat about but also in terms of having interesting side quests that aren't just blatantly "Find 10 blankets" poo poo type of quest.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Sounds like the Witcher 3 is a really good game then.

But I wonder how many people simply don't care about games like it because it's not a party based game? I loved the old Infinity Engine games, they are still some of the best RPGs ever made. I simply have no interest in single character RPGs any more. I didn't even buy the third Diablo game. The only other role-playing game besides DA:I and ME:3 that I bought in the last few years was Pillars of Eternity, which is very different but just as good as the Bioware games (probably a bad sign for Bioware, considering the vastly smaller resources Obsidian had). No matter how much better the quests or the story of the Witcher 3 may be, I'm just not interested in playing it. Even apart from the obvious disadvantage of not having played the two previous games.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Sounds like the Witcher 3 is a really good game then.

But I wonder how many people simply don't care about games like it because it's not a party based game? I loved the old Infinity Engine games, they are still some of the best RPGs ever made. I simply have no interest in single character RPGs any more. I didn't even buy the third Diablo game. The only other role-playing game besides DA:I and ME:3 that I bought in the last few years was Pillars of Eternity, which is very different but just as good as the Bioware games (probably a bad sign for Bioware, considering the vastly smaller resources Obsidian had). No matter how much better the quests or the story of the Witcher 3 may be, I'm just not interested in playing it. Even apart from the obvious disadvantage of not having played the two previous games.

The Witcher 3 has sold 4 million copies, and is approaching 5 million.

All of the Mass Effect games combined have sold less then 3 million.

Dragon Age Origins is the best seller of the Dragon Age games at 4-5 million. 2 capped out at 1.5/1.9 million. Inquisition is still around 1.3/1.5 million, although EA has mentioned they expect it's tail to eventually pass Dragon Age Origins, since it's hitting the same numbers 2 did, and doesn't have the problem of being a bad game like 2 did.

The amount of people that love Bioware on forums isn't actually proportional to the amount of people that actually buy their games. Judging by the numbers though, I'd say more people care about Geralt's attempts to find his wife/daughter then they do about party members.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Rookersh posted:

The Witcher 3 has sold 4 million copies, and is approaching 5 million.

Dragon Age Origins is the best seller of the Dragon Age games at 4-5 million. 2 capped out at 1.5/1.9 million. Inquisition is still around 1.3/1.5 million, although EA has mentioned they expect it's tail to eventually pass Dragon Age Origins, since it's hitting the same numbers 2 did, and doesn't have the problem of being a bad game like 2 did.

The amount of people that love Bioware on forums isn't actually proportional to the amount of people that actually buy their games. Judging by the numbers though, I'd say more people care about Geralt's attempts to find his wife/daughter then they do about party members.

Where did you get these numbers? ME2 alone sold 1.6 million in its launch quarter alone.

Edit: And NPD (physical only) reported ME3 doing 1.3 million during its launch month. That's almost 3 million right there.

Edit 2: Eesh I sound really fanboyish here. Sorry, I'm not trying to defend DA:I against TW3 or anything, just felt that the ME numbers seemed really off and went to go see if they were. Sorry!

Chasiubao fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 11, 2015

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I haven't played TW3 myself yet, though my boyfriend has been playing it while I'm in the room. It's beautiful to look at, and I'll most likely pick it up myself, but I find it a little distracting that FemHawke's voice actress plays such a major part, and that every third NPC is voiced by the guy who played Blackwall. I know it's stupid.

Also, I like being able to customize my character. I have no problem playing a dude, but he has to be MY dude :colbert:

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

I've never been able to get very far into any of the games in The Witcher series because I hate Geralt so much (not just lack of customization, which does bug me a lot; he's such a boring self-insert). I'm giving TW2 another chance now, and while I do like the plots and branching paths so far, I can't stand the character writing. It's just so... flat. Maybe that's just because I'm not far enough into the game, but character writing is the reason I love Bioware more than Bethesda (admittedly, New Vegas was a lot stronger in that regard than their other games I've played). I realize that it's a lower priority than intuitive gameplay or major plot writing for many (if not most) other people, but that's the way it is for me. :shrug:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Leelee posted:

Also, it's only medium armor, and looks...really weird.

Hawt.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Rookersh posted:

This three year old article puts the number at over 10 million. I assume wherever you're getting your numbers are counting PC sales only.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Snuffman posted:

Ehh... The "free" dlc so far has been an alternate skin for one character, 2 short quests, 2 suits of alternate armour, crossbows and an alternate card game skin.

The sort of stuff that a company with no scruples would charge a dollar or two a piece for.

It's cool that it's free but let's not kid ourselves that it's anything remotely substantial (yet...).

The real DLC expansion stuff comes out later this year and next year and they do cost real money.

Well yeah, my point is if bioware were a bit more like CDPR, they wouldn't be selling that Avaar stuff.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Stroop There It Is posted:

I've never been able to get very far into any of the games in The Witcher series because I hate Geralt so much (not just lack of customization, which does bug me a lot; he's such a boring self-insert). I'm giving TW2 another chance now, and while I do like the plots and branching paths so far, I can't stand the character writing. It's just so... flat. Maybe that's just because I'm not far enough into the game, but character writing is the reason I love Bioware more than Bethesda (admittedly, New Vegas was a lot stronger in that regard than their other games I've played). I realize that it's a lower priority than intuitive gameplay or major plot writing for many (if not most) other people, but that's the way it is for me. :shrug:

What's wrong with it? How far have you gotten?

also, New Vegas was not a Bethesda game

edit: aw poo poo double post

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Crow Jane posted:

I haven't played TW3 myself yet, though my boyfriend has been playing it while I'm in the room. It's beautiful to look at, and I'll most likely pick it up myself, but I find it a little distracting that FemHawke's voice actress plays such a major part, and that every third NPC is voiced by the guy who played Blackwall. I know it's stupid.

On PC you can always play with polish (or other) voices and english subtitles.

According to vgcharts DA:I sold 3.43 milion copies, I hope that doesn't include Origin sales, because overall it's a pretty good game. I hope the only lesson other game devs get from TW3 success is not "there's really no good choices, everyone's a shithead or dead", because it's really fun in one well written game but loving annoying in all RPG with varying levels of storyline quality. In a while the most original game will be one with a story about a group of heroes without dark past that go to some place and kill a baddie, helping good people along the way.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

This three year old article puts the number at over 10 million. I assume wherever you're getting your numbers are counting PC sales only.

That makes way more sense to me. I had a feeling that guns in spaaace was going to generally be more popular than elves and fireballs (Skyrim notwithstanding), and Witcher was also pretty limited by not even being released on all platforms until the third game.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The biggest problem I had with Witcher 2 was the worst level was then first level. Ugh stupid swamps.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I'm not sure if i'll get Witcher 3. I played through Witcher 2 and beat it once, I tried to play it again to do the other path but I stalled out in the 2nd game. Like someone else mentioned I hate the character writing. I will say that I hate fantasy settings, the only fantasy setting I've ever actually liked playing was the Dragon Age series.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I'm not sure if i'll get Witcher 3. I played through Witcher 2 and beat it once, I tried to play it again to do the other path but I stalled out in the 2nd game. Like someone else mentioned I hate the character writing. I will say that I hate fantasy settings, the only fantasy setting I've ever actually liked playing was the Dragon Age series.

Witcher suffers from the same writing problem that GRRM sometimes does; namely, just because you put the sex out in the open and make all the characters mean does not make a story more gritty or complex than other stories in the genre.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Witcher characters feel more like people with depth to them. You meet a lot of decent people in your travels but the nature of those games is you dealing with seedier parts of society. In 3 there's a war going on, so people are more selfish than usual since the survival instinct has taken over.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

Witcher suffers from the same writing problem that GRRM sometimes does; namely, just because you put the sex out in the open and make all the characters mean does not make a story more gritty or complex than other stories in the genre.

I think you're missing the point of both those worlds. They aim for realism in their characters and sex is a natural part of that. It's not an attempt to be gritty, at least not from my point of view. If we're talking about gratuitous sex the romance scenes in da:i were 100% juvenile.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

For the record I've only played the witcher 2 and I found it too boring to complete, but the sex never felt out of place.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I think you're missing the point of both those worlds. They aim for realism in their characters and sex is a natural part of that. It's not an attempt to be gritty, at least not from my point of view. If we're talking about gratuitous sex the romance scenes in da:i were 100% juvenile.

I found the way my Inquisitor flirted to be hilariously awkward, but I also deliberately confined it to a single romance.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

What bugs me about sex in Bioware games is that it's treated as the absolute apex of the romance and after sex, that's it, relationship 100% secured. I know it's to pander to lonely virgin nerds but real life romances just don't work that way.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mr. Fortitude posted:

What bugs me about sex in Bioware games is that it's treated as the absolute apex of the romance and after sex, that's it, relationship 100% secured. I know it's to pander to lonely virgin nerds but real life romances just don't work that way.

Can you have sex with Solas if you romance him?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Can you have sex with Solas if you romance him?

No, but Solas has his own barrel of issues that concludes the romance with him before you even get to the sex apex of the romance.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The game opens up with a gratuitous rear end shot and there's plunging cleavage all over the place. Lets not go pretending the Witcher is any more adult about sex than other games, here.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Inquisition seems to buck that trend with Solas and Josephine.

Also you the Inquisitor can have sex with Bull more than once.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

No, but Solas has his own barrel of issues that concludes the romance with him before you even get to the sex apex of the romance.

It's implied on a few occasions that the Inquisitor and Solas might be sleeping together or doing weird stuff in dreams. The romance's writer confirmed he wanted to leave it ambiguous and up to the player's imagination what if anything exactly was going on between them.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

The game opens up with a gratuitous rear end shot and there's plunging cleavage all over the place. Lets not go pretending the Witcher is any more adult about sex than other games, here.

That's a good shot. It was two people who were clearly comfortable with each other kicking around in the nude. Besides that Yen was most likely doing that to torment Geralt. The man has bigger balls than brains when it comes to sorceresses.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The Witcher romances generally felt less like you mashing two barbie dolls together and saying "NOW KISS!" because Geralt is his own character. Which makes the relationships feel more real to me because he already has these existing relationships rather than me making all his choices for him.

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 14, 2015

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Jimbot posted:

That's a good shot. It was two people who were clearly comfortable with each other kicking around in the nude. Besides that Yen was most likely doing that to torment Geralt. The man has bigger balls than brains when it comes to sorceresses.

Mm, yes, this titty shot is more empowering than this other titty shot I have extensively watched.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

Mm, yes, this titty shot is more empowering than this other titty shot I have extensively watched.

Eh, I found nothing wrong with it. It's easy to get prudish about these things. Only real dumb thing related to cleavage was Ves' outfit. She's not some vain sorceress rather a commando and runs into battle with her tits hanging out. I thought that was uncharacteristically like her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh sure, tits and rear end I'm not bothered by, just this weird intellectual bent people seem to be putting on every aspect of the Witcher 3 to make out it's totally adult unlike those other games guys!!!

W3 is a fantastic game but seeing this stuff pop up all over the place is getting kind of aggravating. :v:

• Locked thread