Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Hesse and Cologne are my marches. Mainz already got ate up by Trier at this point. But it's not like I had the freedom to pick who to be my vassals or who to even go to war against since it all depended on the web of alliances. Hesse is kinda crappy though since they're a theocracy who went Defensive and Religious as their first two ideas but oh well.

drat Austia unfreed citied you when you converted to Protestant? Was that the sole trigger or was it because your relations with austia wasn't that hot to begin with? I don't think there's a cheevo to track if you stayed as a free city through the whole timeline but I feel like I would have personally lost if I lost the free city status at any point.

Defensive ideas on a vassal would be pretty good if you can surround yourself with Hesse like a donut hole, then build them some forts on all sides. It would be a lot harder for the AI to get to you. Religious is... eh, for a vassal in this playstyle. Also, when I turned protestant I kept my free city status. Is that something you can actually revoke as emperor?

e; I want to do a free city Tuscany or Milan run now. Gonna do that right now. Their NIs give them a huge discount on development.

e2; wow, the duke of burgundy just died in the third month of the game

Another Person fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jun 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
In my Teutonic Order->Prussia Protestant game, two centers of reformation in unfortified AI provinces got flipped by Catholic rebels while I wasn't looking, early in the reformation. :(

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Is there any way to make Prussia the historical way? I see there are events to unite thrm, but how often do the teutons turn into the duchy of Prussia?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Is there any way to make Prussia the historical way? I see there are events to unite thrm, but how often do the teutons turn into the duchy of Prussia?

Unless there's a historical event that I missed, nope, there's no way to form Prussia historically. In EU4 terms that'd probably involve willingly subjecting yourself to vassalization by Poland/the Commonwealth and later becoming the junior partner in a personal union with Brandenburg, which altogether doesn't sound that fun to play to me. Or playing as Brandenburg and hoping some historical events that set all these circumstances up fire.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jun 14, 2015

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Are you allowed to form Prussia for the Teutonic Order achievement?

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Tahirovic posted:

Are you allowed to form Prussia for the Teutonic Order achievement?

code:
happened = {
		has_switched_nation = no
		OR = {
			tag = TEU
			tag = LIV
		}

russian_region = {
			type = all
			religion = catholic
		}

russian_region = {
			type = all
			owned_by = ROOT
			is_core = ROOT
		}
No, you have to remain either the Teutonic Order or Livonian Order.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
So I just discovered that CoP screwed up American culture conversion and it hasn't been fixed since. Apparently the event that creates American culture only fires if England/GB owns provinces in the region, but their colonial nations will stay English forever.

It's a super minor and irrelevant thing, but too bad for my England - Thirteen Colonies - USA game, it loses a bit of flavor.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

axeil posted:

-No Iberian Wedding

I'm playing a small MP game and there was also no Iberian Wedding...because the AI chose the option that declined the union. I damned near fell out of my chair when I saw that happen.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
In terms of weirdness, I've had two campaigns in a row where the exact same things happened:

- Spain forms but lags behind in colonization badly
- Portugal becomes the main global empire, grabbing enormous swathes of the Americas
- The Commonwealth doesn't form
- Everybody piles into the Catholic League and the 30YW never happens, with Austria comfortably declaring Catholicism the dominant religion quite early on

Has anyone had similar experiences or is this a fluke?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I really miss the fact that you could join a call to arms and occupy the war target to prevent your ally from taking that province

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

I think I read somewhere that forming Prussia as TO while having Brandenburg as a vassal did something special, but I can't find anything in the event or decision files. Am I mixing something up?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Guildencrantz posted:

In terms of weirdness, I've had two campaigns in a row where the exact same things happened:

- Spain forms but lags behind in colonization badly
- Portugal becomes the main global empire, grabbing enormous swathes of the Americas
- The Commonwealth doesn't form
- Everybody piles into the Catholic League and the 30YW never happens, with Austria comfortably declaring Catholicism the dominant religion quite early on

Has anyone had similar experiences or is this a fluke?

:rip: Castille.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

I've seen Leon pop out and take over all of Castille in my Frankfurt game.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Vodos posted:

I think I read somewhere that forming Prussia as TO while having Brandenburg as a vassal did something special, but I can't find anything in the event or decision files. Am I mixing something up?

Pretty sure its the other way around. There is an event that gives you a PU over AI-Prussia for free if you are brandenburg and have prussia as a vassal or positive relations with them.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
I am keeping a close eye on the steam sales for this game and would just like to confirm that the thread title is actually good advice and not just a humorous pun at their latest expansion which appears will not go on sale?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

MikeC posted:

I am keeping a close eye on the steam sales for this game and would just like to confirm that the thread title is actually good advice and not just a humorous pun at their latest expansion which appears will not go on sale?

All of the content DLCs are good-to-great. (El Dorado is a bit niche-er than most, but still worth getting.)

If you play with the music on, the music DLCs are great.

I can personally live without the unit (and building?) graphic DLC but will sometimes pick it up anyway, but it's definitely bottom of the priority list.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

All of the content DLCs are good-to-great. (El Dorado is a bit niche-er than most, but still worth getting.)

I'd say Conquest of Paradise is the worst one, you only want it if you're playing North Americans. El Dorado at least adds some useful stuff with automated exploration, gold fleets and the Treaty of Tordesillas, so it's good for both South Americans and colonizers.

All the other main DLCs are great.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

If you play with the music on, the music DLCs are great.

Yeah, it's a bit out of place in a metal remix DLC pack but I really like the new version of Age of Discovery in the most recent one for example. It's very chill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9xW_V9ep5w&hd=1

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Elman posted:

El Dorado at least adds some useful stuff with automated exploration, gold fleets and the Treaty of Tordesillas, so it's good for both South Americans and colonizers.

Not to mention it adding the nation designer.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Another Person posted:

Defensive ideas on a vassal would be pretty good if you can surround yourself with Hesse like a donut hole, then build them some forts on all sides. It would be a lot harder for the AI to get to you. Religious is... eh, for a vassal in this playstyle. Also, when I turned protestant I kept my free city status. Is that something you can actually revoke as emperor?

e; I want to do a free city Tuscany or Milan run now. Gonna do that right now. Their NIs give them a huge discount on development.

e2; wow, the duke of burgundy just died in the third month of the game

Yeah the emperor can revoke free city status for 5 IA iirc

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
okay I haven't played since before wealth of nations just caught up with the dlc whats the main changes I should know about

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Rumda posted:

okay I haven't played since before wealth of nations just caught up with the dlc whats the main changes I should know about

There's a new OP :ssh:

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I'm playing as the Ottomons for the first time and generally having fun even if every war drains all my admin points. I want to declare on Genoa next, but doing so will bring me into conflict with Austria as Genoa is part of the HRE. If I attack a member of the HRE and the Emperor joins, is that a war against the entire HRE or just the relevant parties?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Drone posted:

There's a new OP :ssh:

:ssh: with no information on the actual changes

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

TTBF posted:

I'm playing as the Ottomons for the first time and generally having fun even if every war drains all my admin points. I want to declare on Genoa next, but doing so will bring me into conflict with Austria as Genoa is part of the HRE. If I attack a member of the HRE and the Emperor joins, is that a war against the entire HRE or just the relevant parties?

The emperor gets to bring in all his allies, but not every member of the HRE, besides who's mentioned in the war declaration menu.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Note that Genoa is likely to leave the Empire after 1500, so you might want to wait for that before attacking them.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Do the italians get a choice in the matter via event?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Rumda posted:

Considering there's been 7 major patches and 5 major DLCs since then, more things have changed than remained the same and listing everything is not really feasible. You should probably just check through the major changes in the various patch notes from 1.6 and on, or just jump in the game and see for yourself.

You'll have to relearn most of the game all over again either way so I would suggest the latter.

double nine posted:

Do the italians get a choice in the matter via event?

AIs seem to leave automatically, the player gets an event where they can either leave, get +35 prestige and eat a relations hit with the Emperor or stay, get -35 prestige and eat a relations hit with the countries that left.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Pakled posted:

In my Teutonic Order->Prussia Protestant game, two centers of reformation in unfortified AI provinces got flipped by Catholic rebels while I wasn't looking, early in the reformation. :(

That's kind of awesome. Should probably spawn a new center elsewhere if it's early enough in the Reformation, but I like that rebels can do that.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Kersch posted:

They provinces adjacent to a fort DO get captured in 1 siege tick by rebels, but they should not get separatism/zeal/etc. from rebel occupation unless the fort falls too. If this isn't correct, then the paradox employee who answered this question was either wrong or was talking about a future change.

Ok, experimenting further - you get the popup that the rebels took control, and that you are getting separatism for 10 years; however, hovering on the unrest counter it shows there is no separatism, so the bug is in the popup rather than the mechanic.

Spam forts errywhere.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I envy all of you with crazy messed-up Europes, mine was so boring and normal the whole time. No Burgundian Inheritance, but otherwise everyone more or less made it into their historical shapes. France never did get its cores back from Great Britain, but that's probably because the English navy makes it impossible to invade that awful island and so all continental wars that the British got involved in ended with us white peacing them out after taking and holding those cores :v:

The new world went nuts, though - I don't know if the AIs received any bonuses to colonization, but between Britain, Spain and Portugal they had most of the Americas covered. Then in the late 1600s everyone warred for independence and now there's no more European presence.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
I don't think the game has really changed much in any non-obvious ways if you are used to playing paradox games, and for the new stuff this thread is very helpful with any questions that come up.

Is there any benefit to having two forts with overlapping zones of control?

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Is there any way to build forts for my vassals/colonial nations or to persuade them to build forts in specific places?

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Apoffys posted:

Is there any way to build forts for my vassals/colonial nations or to persuade them to build forts in specific places?

You can't do anything on land they already own. I've had success keeping provinces that I'd otherwise have given to my vassal, building forts on them, and then selling them to the vassal.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Prop Wash posted:

I envy all of you with crazy messed-up Europes, mine was so boring and normal the whole time. No Burgundian Inheritance, but otherwise everyone more or less made it into their historical shapes. France never did get its cores back from Great Britain, but that's probably because the English navy makes it impossible to invade that awful island and so all continental wars that the British got involved in ended with us white peacing them out after taking and holding those cores :v:

The new world went nuts, though - I don't know if the AIs received any bonuses to colonization, but between Britain, Spain and Portugal they had most of the Americas covered. Then in the late 1600s everyone warred for independence and now there's no more European presence.

Here's something more normal :haw:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Apoffys posted:

if you turn your vassal into a march you can build forts for them (and pay for the fort maintenance)

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Koramei posted:

if you turn your vassal into a march you can build forts for them (and pay for the fort maintenance)

Thanks, that's something at least. My colonial nations will just have to deal with the constant separatism from not having forts...

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Nitrousoxide posted:

I would love to play, but what the gently caress is CCCC and how can I find it?

Its the chat sub forum in byob

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Something is all sorts of wrong with my EU install. But oddly enough the checksum still passes. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
Ok I'm sorry if this has been covered numerous times but I've just been switching over to EUIV from CKII and I'm loving it. Only problem is I get a runtime error and a ctd like 10 minutes into every game I start. I've tried numerous reinstalls where I've deleted the EU files from my documents folder and I've looked at all sorts of forums trying to find an answer for this but I just can't find one that works. Please help guys I really want to play this game. No mods installed btw. All I want to do is reconquer Normandie. :(

• Locked thread