Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You can get stuff like emerald dust from monster's nests, which is incredibly useful in White Orchard because of how expensive it is.

I think you can get crafting diagrams and alchemy recipes randomly as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So, in the haunted lighthouse contract in Skellige is there a way to find out what was really going on there? Also afterwards can you get out of that bar without everybody dying?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Is it possible to delay the romance quests till the endgame? I'm on the uma quest now and I've been leaving the two romance quests on the backburner, how long till the window of opportunity closes?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

So, in the haunted lighthouse contract in Skellige is there a way to find out what was really going on there? Also afterwards can you get out of that bar without everybody dying?

Wait, you can somehow do the lighthouse quest without finding about what happened?

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

So, in the haunted lighthouse contract in Skellige is there a way to find out what was really going on there?

The keeper was working with a band of pirates. He'd leave the lighthouse dark on some nights so ships would run aground, and the pirates would share the loot from the wrecks with him - you can find a letter about it inside the lighthouse. The ghosts are his victims.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Andrast posted:

Wait, you can somehow do the lighthouse quest without finding about what happened?

Most of the contracts you can, the ones where you can just wander in the place and find a monster, had it happen a couple of times already

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Honest Thief posted:

Is it possible to delay the romance quests till the endgame? I'm on the uma quest now and I've been leaving the two romance quests on the backburner, how long till the window of opportunity closes?

When you go to pick up Uma from the Baron's people, I believe that all the character side quests close off as the cutscene starts (the game tells you that you failed them as it starts). This includes Lambert, not just Triss and Yennefer's personal quests.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Andrast posted:

If you just look at the stuff on the outside Geralt says that's enough and it tells you to go back to the keeper.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

When you go to pick up Uma from the Baron's people, I believe that all the character side quests close off as the cutscene starts (the game tells you that you failed them as it starts). This includes Lambert, not just Triss and Yennefer's personal quests.

gaddamnit! Fine, I'll make my choice, I just hope whoever it is never finds my stash of naked ladies cards, took me a while to gather them all, even Abigail's

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Snuffman posted:

Wait...WHAT?

Anything good? Or just random monster bits?
You can just go back to the nest markers, the content is stiil there waiting to be picked up.

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
may ruin this for myself but, when gathering allies for fighting the hunt about how far through the main story am i... im guessing close

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

my new dog posted:

may ruin this for myself but, when gathering allies for fighting the hunt about how far through the main story am i... im guessing close

Do you mean gathering allies at Kaer Morhen to defend against the siege? If so you're about to come to the end of the second act. If you mean the similar quest later on, then yeah you're in the end game.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

my new dog posted:

Not as close as you'd think. There's still a whole act beyond what you're preparing to do.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

my new dog posted:

You are actually only 60-75% through the game main story. That said, if you've been keeping up with side quests and ancillary stuff, the last section will go a lot faster.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
I'm rather tired of my bombs falling through the floor. There's probably countless forgotten mineshafts now flooded with Dragon's Dream.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So I've got some thoughts on the Witcher 3 now that I've let it sit overnight after I beat it.

If the white frost is an independent force from the Wild Hunt, why is Eradin both terrified of it and shroud himself in it on his travels to the Witcher world at the same time? Wouldn't it make sense to avoid it at all costs if you think it's going to be the thing that kills your people? I feel like it would of made more sense if the White Frost was a separate entity played up in the plot that you needed to stop.

That was basically my one complaint about the end of the story and I feel like it's a huge plot hole Ciri kind of trips into on her way to her messianic savior thing.

The writing by and large was the best I've seen in an RPG to date. The first Witcher was really rough, writing wise. Witcher 2 was significantly better in that regard, but Witcher 3 managed to do even better sans the plot holes mentioned above. I feel like the writing was so good in part because this game is not about you, Geralt of Rivia. Geralt had his two stories that were specifically about him already and the having the third game make it to where he is not the most lynchpin character in the plot is kind of refreshing. You are the emotionally mute albino second party perspective to tell Ciri's story. Your role in the plot is that of a fussy father learning to let his daughter be an independent person rather than a ward to protect and shelter.

Overall I really like it. It's telling about the strength of a game wherein I just finished a 100 hour playthrough of the game and am already considering playing through it a second time. Easily my game of the year so far, and there have been a handful of strong contenders for that title so far.

So spoiler question regarding a first act character w/r/t endgame: With Kiera, is there no way to get her to rejoin the lodge of sorceresses? I'm assuming if you don't convince her to go to Kaer Morhen that she's caught by Witch Hunters and burned at the stake? In my game I talked her into Kaer Morhen and she runs off into the night with Lambert afterward and refuses to join for the final battle. If You don't bring Kiera with you to Kaer Morhen, does it mean that Lambert dies?

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 14, 2015

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
The mutagens confuse me. I made on regular blue mutagen out of 3 lesser ones, but it won't let me make anymore because I "already have one". But I need three regular mutagens to make a greater one, so...?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

RE: Your spoiler tag
Technically yes, but only if you're delaying that quest until the very, very end of the game (possibly. you may be able to break it sooner). I'll spoiler the reason how it breaks in a separate tag.

If you've already killed Madman Lugos very close to the end of the game, you can't carry on the quest chain so you never get put in jail and go to the cave for him to look after his son and Jorund lives. I know that at least this is a break point because it happened to me on my first play, but this chain may break as soon as you elect a ruler for Skellige as Blueboy Lugos dies then.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

nickmeister posted:

The mutagens confuse me. I made on regular blue mutagen out of 3 lesser ones, but it won't let me make anymore because I "already have one". But I need three regular mutagens to make a greater one, so...?

It's a current bug. You need to drop the regular one to make another.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

nickmeister posted:

It's a bug. Drop the blue mutagen on the ground and make another and repeat. Pick your mutagens off the floor and make the greater.

I think it's a bug with 1.04 or 1.05, it didn't use to do that.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Man, on Bald Mountain before the fight with Imlerith I was like "that helmet looks really tight, I wonder how he gets it on and off!" and then that paid off five minutes later... in the worst way. :stare:

I think Roid Elf should be a new race selection in fantasy RPGs after the success of this game.

What governs the generation of adrenaline points? I've got to the Battle Trance skill at the end of the red tree that lets you cast buffed spells with 3 adrenaline, but all through that fight I didn't generate any. Was I using it when just question Quen or what? I was swinging a lot, maybe it was because I kept getting hit though.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 14, 2015

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I can't make my Killer Whale Decoction because it only shows up in my list if I don't have the ingredients. If I actually get them, it disappears from the list. That's a funny bug.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Arglebargle III posted:

You can. Just write the date and time of the save file on a piece of paper, then write any name you want. Though for you maybe a picture would be easier?

WoW! You should write for the front page. With your acerbic wit you'll be bossin' Lowtax around in no time :rolleyes:

Or we could get the option to name our save files like 15 year old cRPGs have been able to do.

I find the mutagen system to be... lacking finish. I have about 27 wraith mutagens, but I can only make one wraith decoction at a time. I can't stack the mutagens, nor combine them into greater mutagens. I rarely, if ever, use decoctions because they instantly tap out my toxicity. I'm left with all of these monster mutagens I don't need or want, but far fewer normal mutagens, which I need to drop one at a time to craft higher grades of. I should probably just use an Excel spreadsheet or an Access database like Arglebargle III probably does, but shouldn't we be able to stack or combine these things?

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 14, 2015

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crappy Jack posted:

Not as close as you'd think. There's still a whole act beyond what you're preparing to do.

hot drat

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

WoW! You should write for the front page. With your acerbic wit you'll be bossin' Lowtax around in no time :rolleyes:

Or we could get the option to name our save files like 15 year old cRPGs have been able to do.

I find the mutagen system to be... lacking finish. I have about 27 wraith mutagens, but I can only make one wraith decoction at a time. I can't stack the mutagens, nor combine them into greater mutagens. I rarely, if ever, use decoctions because they instantly tap out my toxicity. I'm left with all of these monster mutagens I don't need or want, but far fewer normal mutagens, which I need to drop one at a time to craft higher grades of. I should probably just use an Excel spreadsheet or an Access database like Arglebargle III probably does, but shouldn't we be able to stack or combine these things?

There is specifically a tier 1 trait in the alchemy talents that gives you +1 max toxicity for every alchemy recipe you have. By endgame I could chug 2 decoctions and still have wiggle room for healing and buff potions.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

RoryGilmore posted:

It's a current bug. You need to drop the regular one to make another.

DeathSandwich posted:

It's a bug. Drop the blue mutagen on the ground and make another and repeat. Pick your mutagens off the floor and make the greater.

I think it's a bug with 1.04 or 1.05, it didn't use to do that.

Ah, okay. I'll just go on assuming anything that's strange or confusing is actually a bug that will be fixed eventually. Thanks.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I believe the mutagen one is specifically mentioned in the hotfix notes, which is due out very soon on PC and kinda soon on console.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

So I've got some thoughts on the Witcher 3 now that I've let it sit overnight after I beat it.

If the white frost is an independent force from the Wild Hunt, why is Eradin both terrified of it and shroud himself in it on his travels to the Witcher world at the same time? Wouldn't it make sense to avoid it at all costs if you think it's going to be the thing that kills your people? I feel like it would of made more sense if the White Frost was a separate entity played up in the plot that you needed to stop.

That was basically my one complaint about the end of the story and I feel like it's a huge plot hole Ciri kind of trips into on her way to her messianic savior thing.

The writing by and large was the best I've seen in an RPG to date. The first Witcher was really rough, writing wise. Witcher 2 was significantly better in that regard, but Witcher 3 managed to do even better sans the plot holes mentioned above. I feel like the writing was so good in part because this game is not about you, Geralt of Rivia. Geralt had his two stories that were specifically about him already and the having the third game make it to where he is not the most lynchpin character in the plot is kind of refreshing. You are the emotionally mute albino second party perspective to tell Ciri's story. Your role in the plot is that of a fussy father learning to let his daughter be an independent person rather than a ward to protect and shelter.

Overall I really like it. It's telling about the strength of a game wherein I just finished a 100 hour playthrough of the game and am already considering playing through it a second time. Easily my game of the year so far, and there have been a handful of strong contenders for that title so far.

So spoiler question regarding a first act character w/r/t endgame: With Kiera, is there no way to get her to rejoin the lodge of sorceresses? I'm assuming if you don't convince her to go to Kaer Morhen that she's caught by Witch Hunters and burned at the stake? In my game I talked her into Kaer Morhen and she runs off into the night with Lambert afterward and refuses to join for the final battle. If You don't bring Kiera with you to Kaer Morhen, does it mean that Lambert dies?

The White Frost is more like a natural disaster than a monster. Eredin's problem isn't that the Frost is a huge threat to him personally, it's that his world will become unable to support civilised life within his lifetime. "Avoiding it at all costs" is exactly what he's doing - he's given up on stopping the Frost and decided to move all his subjects to another world instead. This requires him to do unspecified bad poo poo to Ciri (presumably elaborated on in the books?) so he can use her powers to open a portal and bring in an army to conquer the world.

e: welp, hosed up the spoiler tags

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

DeathSandwich posted:

There is specifically a tier 1 trait in the alchemy talents that gives you +1 max toxicity for every alchemy recipe you have. By endgame I could chug 2 decoctions and still have wiggle room for healing and buff potions.

Not at end game yet, but I'll keep an eye out. I'm more annoyed at the cluttered mess of mutagens I have, and that I can only have one of the same decoction at the same time.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Not at end game yet, but I'll keep an eye out. I'm more annoyed at the cluttered mess of mutagens I have, and that I can only have one of the same decoction at the same time.

DeathSandwich is saying there is specifically a first-tier Alchemy ability that gives you a ton more Toxicity threshhold (based on recipes known) and another that gives a % bonus to it. If you want to use more than one decoction at once, spec into one or both of those. That's a big part of what makes Alchemy builds work, the ability to run with 2-3 decoctions up at all times.

As far as cluttered mutagen inventory yeah it's a mess. All of the named mutagens are extra once you've made the relevant decoction.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Metanaut posted:

I'm level 15 in Novigrad. At what point in the game you start getting armor that doesn't look like random pieces of fabric sewn together by a mentally ill person?

when you stop having bad taste and embrace the puffy mmulticoloured extravaganza.

in all seriousness if you want fantasy gears of war hunt down the witcher armours, they're a bit less garish

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

You never need the named mutagens once you've created the decoction. Sell them.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
hah! do we ever run into the mage we surprise in the megascope later on?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I have "finished" Novigrad and just landed in Skelgie. How much storyline game is left?

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

ZombieLenin posted:

I have "finished" Novigrad and just landed in Skelgie. How much storyline game is left?

A lot. 2/3rd to half.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Why would you need more than one of the same decoction? All the decoctions last much longer than you'll need them.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

DeathSandwich posted:

The tragedy is that Eredin's fear of the White Frost consumes him to the point that he becomes the White Frost, hence all the skull armour and ice magic and such. He's so desperate to evade death that he starts inflicting it on other worlds, other people. By invading Geralt's world, he's basically swapping Geralt's world for his own. Geralt and the others die while the Aen Elle live for a while longer. Ciri's quest to kill Eredin and to end the White Frost are one and the same, though the game isn't very good at linking the two explicitly.

e: like if you think back to Witcher 1, there's no mention of the King of the Wild Hunt being Eredin, king of the rear end in a top hat elves. in fact I'm fairly sure it implies that the King of the Wild Hunt is straight up Death, the Grim Reaper, psychopomp, not a living alien person at all. I think that's the association you're intended to draw

Lt. Danger fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 14, 2015

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

How do I not lose at Gwent? Is there anywhere where I can just buy really amazing cards or win them through methods other than playing Gwent?

I just go to the part in the Novigrad questline where I have to beat people in Gwent in Whoreson Junior's casino to advance. And it is loving frustrating to lose to them in a dumb card game over and over

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Okay, I just started "Love's Cruel Snares" or something like that where you have to go somewhere to see if a lady's husband is still alive. But as I started heading towards the area, I suddenly failed. I checked the quest log, but there's explanation as to why I failed. Another lovely bug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

How do I not lose at Gwent? Is there anywhere where I can just buy really amazing cards or win them through methods other than playing Gwent?

I just go to the part in the Novigrad questline where I have to beat people in Gwent in Whoreson Junior's casino to advance. And it is loving frustrating to lose to them in a dumb card game over and over

Check all the innkeepers you run across - many have Gwent cards in inventory. Buy all of them. Northern Kingdoms is really the only competitive deck for a large part of the game so focus on it. Buy Spies and Decoys and as you start winning, you'll pick up more.