Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gyges posted:

Wasn't the extent of the gore in Jurassic Park a cut on someone's arm and dino venom in Nerdly's face? I remember everything else being either bloodless or just off screen. I mean, that one kid got shocked and there was some smoke, but I don't think his red hands afterwards count.

There was also Samuel L. Jackson's dismembered arm, but that was about it. Even in Lost World when two T. Rexes rip Eddie in half it isn't that bloody. Compare to Indominus Rex's utter massacre throughout Jurassic World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Jurassic World is by far the bloodiest movie in the entire franchise. The gently caress is he on about?

I have to admit that Jurassic World wasn't as bloody as I thought it would be based on the way that point showed up almost universally in reviews. But yeah, there's no way that it is anything other than the goriest Jurassic Park movie.

And I don't think the original sauropod CGI looks terrible by any stretch even today. It's inconsistent though: some of it looks like you could get away with it in a blockbuster today, but some shots are only passable - better than what you'd find in an Asylum movie, but not up to Hollywood standards. It's the shots where actors appear in front of the dinosaurs and point at them that look bad...but that was a problem even up through the time of the Lord of the Rings movies (there's one shot of them running from the Balrog that's just awful in this regard).

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Another thing I hated was Rob talking about the original JP not having a good character arc, specifically about Grant just suddenly at the end deciding he likes kids, did he just block the whole Brachiosarus while they are in the trees scene or the climbing the fence scene?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

OrangeKing posted:

I have to admit that Jurassic World wasn't as bloody as I thought it would be based on the way that point showed up almost universally in reviews. But yeah, there's no way that it is anything other than the goriest Jurassic Park movie.

To me personally, the gore was a little uncomfortable. I didn't really find the I. Rex's slaughter that fun to watch; it was certainly visceral, but not cathartic. Lost World I love watching the Rex rampage, because everyone's a douchebag in that movie and it's fun seeing them get their comeuppance. But the I. Rex killings were just hateful, and I think that was the point. It is one thing to kill for food and to protect territory, but it is another to just murder because you were born a freak. It really felt like the I. Rex was doing stuff out of spite and madness, so I kind of felt bad for it in the end. So chalk that up as something the movie did pretty well.

achillesforever6 posted:

Another thing I hated was Rob talking about the original JP not having a good character arc, specifically about Grant just suddenly at the end deciding he likes kids, did he just block the whole Brachiosarus while they are in the trees scene or the climbing the fence scene?

Rob and Doug apparently can't tell if a character arc is complete unless the movie explicitly has a character say it is so. Nope, nothing about the looks shared between Grant and Ellie, or Grant throwing away his raptor fossil can mean anything unless someone explains the symbolism.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

To me personally, the gore was a little uncomfortable. I didn't really find the I. Rex's slaughter that fun to watch; it was certainly visceral, but not cathartic. Lost World I love watching the Rex rampage, because everyone's a douchebag in that movie and it's fun seeing them get their comeuppance. But the I. Rex killings were just hateful, and I think that was the point. It is one thing to kill for food and to protect territory, but it is another to just murder because you were born a freak. It really felt like the I. Rex was doing stuff out of spite and madness, so I kind of felt bad for it in the end. So chalk that up as something the movie did pretty well.
If only Vince Vaughn after all the bullshit he pulled got his comeuppance, thankfully the most likable character made it through and achieved his goals and realized it was better to not try his luck and leave the movie

I do like how JW is basically the MGS2 movie were the whole theme of the movie is taking out the piss of Franchise blockbusters and sequels

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Not having seen Jurassic World the poo poo that happens sounds very Weyland-Yutani to me or am I offbase in that assumption?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tracula posted:

Not having seen Jurassic World the poo poo that happens sounds very Weyland-Yutani to me or am I offbase in that assumption?

Not really. It's been a running theme since The Lost World that InGen is up to some incredibly shady business practices. The Masrani company that owns them after Hammond's death seems to be altruistic, but InGen is still pretty much working for themselves.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Not really. It's been a running theme since The Lost World that InGen is up to some incredibly shady business practices. The Masrani company that owns them after Hammond's death seems to be altruistic, but InGen is still pretty much working for themselves.
Its kind of like how Warner Brothers/DC comics works with Cartoon Network, they do stupid shoot yourself in the foot poo poo even though they are owned by the same compancy

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Hey Poparena - are you American by any chance (you sound a little more American than Canadian to me but my accent divining skills aren't foolproof.) I was just wondering if you'd heard of the children's author Tony Abbott. I recently became aware of him, and was amused because our exceedingly crap PM is called Tony Abbott, and this guy, the author of SECRETS OF DROON, sounds way more entertaining. Is he well-known in the states?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Something that struck me was how much this film resembled a sci-fi horror film like "Predator" or "Alien". From the heart rate monitors to the nightvision cameras to how the Indominus Rex can camouflage. Yeah, I know, nighvision goggles were in the original film but the cameras and the POV-kills felt very much like a sci-fi horror film in that vein. It also felt like "Avatar" in how Vincent D'onofrio's character was the designated military-industrial-complex villain, thumping his chest, wanting to weaponize the raptors and sell them but he dies brutally in the end.. I have to agree, the violence did feel a little unpleasant at certain times as if it was a directorial decision "because I can".

I heard somewhere where the director of "Jurassic World" went to Stephen Spielberg and demanded a new script because it was terrible. I have to wonder how much worse or even better the original script was.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Infamous Sphere posted:

Hey Poparena - are you American by any chance (you sound a little more American than Canadian to me but my accent divining skills aren't foolproof.) I was just wondering if you'd heard of the children's author Tony Abbott. I recently became aware of him, and was amused because our exceedingly crap PM is called Tony Abbott, and this guy, the author of SECRETS OF DROON, sounds way more entertaining. Is he well-known in the states?

I'm American, yeah. I've certainly heard of Tony Abbott and The Secrets of Droons, but have never read any of it myself. Can't speak for it's popularity or sales, I was just past its demographic when it was being published, but I do remember it coming up a few times during some "if you love Harry Potter, you'll love this" conversations (don't care for Harry Potter).

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Haven't seen Jurassic World yet (planning to tomorrow), but I'd guess that part of the higher on-screen body count is that that's simply become the norm for action movies. In the Star Trek movies you see people get sucked out into space any time there's a hull hit, warboys bite it by the dozen in Fury Road, and how many nameless enemies get shredded in Age of Ultron's opening scene alone? It's sort of weird and uncomfortable if you think about it, on-screen death on that level would have been seen as ghoulish back when Jurassic Park came out.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I doubt it's really up to anything more than budget. The only movies that could afford huge death counts were ones that already had ludicrous casting/makeup budgets like historical dramas about massive battles. Movie budgets inflate and so does the size of all the spectacle, be it deaths, explosions, stupidly long establishing shots, etc.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Benny the Snake posted:

Something that struck me was how much this film resembled a sci-fi horror film like "Predator" or "Alien". From the heart rate monitors to the nightvision cameras to how the Indominus Rex can camouflage. Yeah, I know, nighvision goggles were in the original film but the cameras and the POV-kills felt very much like a sci-fi horror film in that vein. It also felt like "Avatar" in how Vincent D'onofrio's character was the designated military-industrial-complex villain, thumping his chest, wanting to weaponize the raptors and sell them but he dies brutally in the end.. I have to agree, the violence did feel a little unpleasant at certain times as if it was a directorial decision "because I can".

I heard somewhere where the director of "Jurassic World" went to Stephen Spielberg and demanded a new script because it was terrible. I have to wonder how much worse or even better the original script was.
Yeah JP4 around 2006 there were a lot of batshit insane rumors on the script invovling human dino hybrids that reached concept art level that you can find pretty easy online.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

You realise all this Jurassic World chat is basically a set-up for Hbomberguy to turn up and tell you that you are all objectively wrong? You know what you've done, don't you? Are you happy yet? :colbert:

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Bango?! Dymo R.N.A.!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

JW's greatest crime is that as hard as it's working that first movie, it fucks up the T-Rex sound effect.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah JP4 around 2006 there were a lot of batshit insane rumors on the script invovling human dino hybrids that reached concept art level that you can find pretty easy online.

Human DNA would've made some of the hybrid's actions a bit more logical, to be fair. It seemed just a little bit too smart.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Haven't not seen JW yet and going off trailers but wouldn't the excessive gore and violence also coincide with the face that the trailers say the new dino is killing purely for sport? Not so much 'being a freak' more that they've managed to create a dinosaur that thrives off violence and death? Also, does the new dino really give orders to other dinosaurs like the trailer implies? That's really kind of stupid

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

You realise all this Jurassic World chat is basically a set-up for Hbomberguy to turn up and tell you that you are all objectively wrong? You know what you've done, don't you? Are you happy yet? :colbert:

Except Hbomberguy toxxed himself out of the thread.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

OldTennisCourt posted:

Haven't not seen JW yet and going off trailers but wouldn't the excessive gore and violence also coincide with the face that the trailers say the new dino is killing purely for sport? Not so much 'being a freak' more that they've managed to create a dinosaur that thrives off violence and death? Also, does the new dino really give orders to other dinosaurs like the trailer implies? That's really kind of stupid

For the second part (slight movie spoiler) No, it doesn't "command" other dinosaurs except for one bit where it expresses dominance over some pack dinos. The new dino is still treated like an animal. Just a fairly smart one.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea for all its build-up as THE GENETIC MODIFIED DINOSAUR I'm glad that it resulted in it just being a highly intelligent animal instead of some super-dino.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Jsor posted:

Except Hbomberguy toxxed himself out of the thread.

For better or for worse. His arguments with everyone did spice things up when the stream of reviews were but at trickle.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
He was the best poster on the thread, and possibly SA.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Annointed posted:

His arguments with everyone did spice things up when the stream of reviews were but at trickle.

But they were bad arguments and the only reason it generated a lot of posts was because he was misrepresenting opponents, refusing to refer to facts and generally trolling and thereby provoking posters into pointing out these points. So...

The Vosgian Beast posted:

He was the best poster on the thread, and possibly SA.

...something like that.

E: And verily the radioactive half-life of his idiocy has seeded this ground with salt, even unto this day.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
If someone mentioned it, I missed it, so I'll just say that SFDebris put up the second part of his History of Comic Books.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Jesus christ. I've never watched one of those Sibling Rivalry videos before, but what in the ever loving gently caress? I legitimately felt bad for Rob, can you loving imagine living with a tool like that screaming nonstop?

EDIT: And scratch that last part, Rob is just as bad and has no loving idea what visual storytelling is. Two idiots screaming at a camera for forty five minutes.

DOUBLE EDIT: Holy gently caress Doug you need your eyes checked if you think Kung-Fu Panda's CGI is poo poo.

Neither Doug or Rob understand visual storytelling or the art of film. It's obvious when you see their films like To Boldly Flee, but for how long they have been in the reviewing game, you';d think they would have picked something up, at least by accident.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

PassTheRemote posted:

Neither Doug or Rob understand visual storytelling or the art of film. It's obvious when you see their films like To Boldly Flee, but for how long they have been in the reviewing game, you';d think they would have picked something up, at least by accident.

I think their overexposure to bad movies with bad dialogue and audio storytelling pretty much blinded their perception to visual storytelling. Visual metaphors, things that don't need to be said? What's that? Then again nonverbal communication is not often used in mainstream films so there you go. Take the fury road thing, Mad Max being replaceable is kind of the point.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 14, 2015

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
I don't know, I've been reviewing poo poo films since I started and I learned through those why their storytelling failed, and what makes a good movie, visual or otherwise. Doug has always been bad on picking up on clues that aren't verbally handed to him.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Then again he did pick up the stylistic clash of A.I. but on the other hand everyone picked that up. Now I'm reminded of the fact that Old v. New and top 11 gently caress ups haven't been made in years. Though I'd figure for plenty of reasons the later is not ever going to made.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 14, 2015

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Another Baywatching: Someone attempts to set Eddie on fire and Mitch rides a sweet WAVERUNNER TM.
http://phelous.com/2015/06/14/obscurus-lupa/baywatching/baywatching-sea-of-flames/

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Just got back and it is indeed my favorite movie of the year, I loved Mad Max Fury Road and I know that is a better film on every level, but the last 10 minutes of Jurassic World made me feel like a kid again and I finally got closure on the bullshit T-Rex death from JP3 that partially killed my childhood.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Miss Wallace posted:

Another Baywatching: Someone attempts to set Eddie on fire and Mitch rides a sweet WAVERUNNER TM.
http://phelous.com/2015/06/14/obscurus-lupa/baywatching/baywatching-sea-of-flames/

I thought Lifeguard Old Man was the same person as Captain Thorpe. I guess I'm racist towards old white guys or something. Holy poo poo that old detective looks the same too! Why did every old white guy they cast have the same face and the same hair?
I'm surprised you didn't comment on Shauni's double denim cropped contrast fabric vest thing - but then again, the spice guy pretty much blew her fashion crimes out of the water.

What an amazing debut of such excellent aquatic vehicles.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Infamous Sphere posted:

I thought Lifeguard Old Man was the same person as Captain Thorpe. I guess I'm racist towards old white guys or something. Holy poo poo that old detective looks the same too! Why did every old white guy they cast have the same face and the same hair?
I'm surprised you didn't comment on Shauni's double denim cropped contrast fabric vest thing - but then again, the spice guy pretty much blew her fashion crimes out of the water.

What an amazing debut of such excellent aquatic vehicles.

I know right?? It doesn't help that my Thorpe voice and Lifeguard Old Man voice is so similar, ha ha. I did dig Shauni's vest though, gotta say.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Hobie is psychic! I guess this is the fae child Mitch swapped for Hobie 1 or something.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Too bad Hobie couldn't use those psychic powers to stop Mitch from becoming paralyzed in season 3.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

achillesforever6 posted:

Just got back and it is indeed my favorite movie of the year, I loved Mad Max Fury Road and I know that is a better film on every level, but the last 10 minutes of Jurassic World made me feel like a kid again and I finally got closure on the bullshit T-Rex death from JP3 that partially killed my childhood.

I won't deny there are parts of Jurassic World that absolutely nailed it. For one thing, they put an insane amount of detail and effort into making the park feel real. A petting zoo makes perfect sense and is just one of the ways they showed off just what you could do with a dino theme park.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I was watching Sage's new review and he talks about visual storytelling. Kinda funny since you guys were talking about visual storytelling and how Doug and Rob don't get it. I'm not defending the two, just saying that it's an amusing coincidence.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Miss Wallace posted:

Too bad Hobie couldn't use those psychic powers to stop Mitch from becoming paralyzed in season 3.

He tried! They wouldn't let him get into the chamber.

Edit: Oh god, I just remembered that episode from the top of my head. What's the matter with me?

Writer Cath fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Miss Wallace posted:

Wait, it's a Gilligan's Island CROSSOVER!? I thought it was just Mitch and Eddie dressing up as The Skipper and Giligan. I don't know wether to feel terrified or cheated.

• Locked thread