Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

JnnyThndrs posted:

I used an 240gb 840Pro mSATA--->PATA adaptor setup for my old Dell laptop and it works flawlessly, as well as making an ancient machine run relatively well. If you can possibly afford it, I would try my best to go SSD, the improvement is tremendous.

I had poor results with the cheap plastic Chinese msata-IDE enclosure, but the bare PCB-style adaptors worked without a hitch, if that helps.

The plastic enclosure is what I'm using :( I'll check out the bare PCB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
I once bought a PATA SSD for an ancient IBM Thinkpad upgrade. It wasn't that much of an improvement.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Angry Fish posted:

I once bought a PATA SSD for an ancient IBM Thinkpad upgrade. It wasn't that much of an improvement.

I can't imagine why it would... An SSD around that era might still have been SLC NAND, along with a 1st gen controller to boot... Probably would have gotten the same performance by loading a bunch of inexpensive SD cards into one of those PCBs that would RAID-0 them together and present a logical single drive to the OS.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I can't imagine why it would... An SSD around that era might still have been SLC NAND, along with a 1st gen controller to boot... Probably would have gotten the same performance by loading a bunch of inexpensive SD cards into one of those PCBs that would RAID-0 them together and present a logical single drive to the OS.

SLC isn't a downside, it's an upside. The ancient bad controller is the downside.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Not from a capacity standpoint!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

JnnyThndrs posted:

I used an 240gb 840Pro mSATA--->PATA adaptor setup for my old Dell laptop and it works flawlessly, as well as making an ancient machine run relatively well. If you can possibly afford it, I would try my best to go SSD, the improvement is tremendous.

I had poor results with the cheap plastic Chinese msata-IDE enclosure, but the bare PCB-style adaptors worked without a hitch, if that helps.

That sounds like a better idea than a native PATA SSD.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Another thing you can do is CompactFlash to IDE or SD to IDE convertors. Particularly for SD the cost of storage is rather low for things that could outdo your typical hard drive from the time in capacity and access time by far, even if they might be a little pokier in sustained reads.

I had an Iriver H320 music player that I used for the better part of a decade. Eventually the HDD crapped itself so I replaced it with a 16GB CF card and a CF -> 1.8" IDE adapter. 1.8" IDE SSDs with the connector on the narrow side of the card have always been super hard to find, I think there was like one series made and they were expensive even compared to the absurd SSD prices at the time (like 3x the price IIRC). So it wasn't a bad workaround for a $10 card on ebay and some cards I had lying around. It boosted battery life like crazy - I remember running like 20+ hours on a charge.

For some reason it was temperamental about what CF cards it would take - it liked my Sandisk Extreme III 4GB but not the Transcend 16GB or (I think) the Sandisk Extreme 4GB (first model). Any idea why that might be? Some type of DMA support on the CF that makes it look more like a hard drive to the interface?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 13, 2015

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Let's return to present day, folks!

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-carrizo-notebooks-coming-sort-of,29309.html

Hey, looks like some really compelling devi--....Euro only on many models. :/

AMD finally getting below 35Watts on a CPU and few OEM's are biting. These things, attached to 8gb of RAM and a SSD, look like perfect machines for my 11 year old nephew who likes Dota2 and LoL with his school work.

$500 for something with good enough media performance and 720p gaming. But gently caress that, OEMs don't trust AMD.

A Bad King fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 13, 2015

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Oh jesus loving christ, I'd kill to replace my HP 8460p with an ASUS X555D. Why would you think people would not want to buy these? Won't these be a much more affordable price for performance?

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

FaustianQ posted:

Oh jesus loving christ, I'd kill to replace my HP 8460p with an ASUS X555D. Why would you think people would not want to buy these? Won't these be a much more affordable price for performance?

:agreed:
X555D needs to be stateside. That E-core chip is a waste of silicon -- 2007 performance that can lock up trying to load Excel and Chrome at the same time.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FaustianQ posted:

B-B-B-But Iris Pro :jerkbag:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

B-B-B-But Iris Pro :jerkbag:

Put Iris Pro on a PCB with 2GB GDDR5, then we'll talk about how good Iris Pro is.

EDIT: Can I like, buy these from a Euroshop and give Asus the finger anyway?

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 13, 2015

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

FaustianQ posted:

Put Iris Pro on a PCB with 2GB GDDR5, then we'll talk about how good Iris Pro is.

EDIT: Can I like, buy these from a Euroshop and give Asus the finger anyway?

Sure, but you're paying a bit more for import and may have a wonky keyboard layout.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
Are there any actual reviews of Carrizo yet?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
No, just analysis pieces. Nothing with actual outlet-run benchmarks.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
Sorry for rehashing old stuff but there's actually a current experience and some nostalgia from two of those posts...

Ozz81 posted:

Man, I still remember back when I started doing modding in high school when folks were taking huge gently caress-off CPU heatsinks, drilling holes in them and mounting on video cards of the time. It was always hilarious seeing a Radeon 9000 series card with this massive aluminum heatsink making the board flex, I saw pictures on an old overclocking forum of a guy who did that and had to make a bracket system to keep the card from flexing and falling out of its AGP/PCI-E slot :laffo: Ah, those were the days...
PowerColor actually ships its insane 3-slot dual GPU cards with a "PowerJack" :jerkbag: which is exactly what you'd expect: a retarded multi-part telescoping plastic rod that you place between the closest horizontal surface of your case and the corner of the video card, to hold the loving thing up safely. It's hilarious. I had one with my 7990, I'm pretty sure their dual GPU 290X card uses the thing too. The cards work without it I'm sure, it's just sort of a belt-and-suspenders thing in case the case gets bumped hard or the actual bracket isn't as secure as it should be or whatever.

canyoneer posted:

If you're doing a retro :pcgaming: build, you must use the ribbon IDE cables and carefully cut the insulation between the individual wires to give a rounded look.
http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/sleeving_cable_guide/
:c00lbutt:
I used to do the silent PC thing way back when it took tons of actual work and drilling, cutting, rewiring etc. because nobody actually gave a poo poo about making products for those people, and I remember doing all sorts of fun stuff with IDE cables because they used to be one of the biggest offenders in a clean case with good airflow, especially when you'd also often have things like jury rigged hard drive suspension systems hanging in the middle of your case. Clip/tape them to themselves so you can make 90 degree turns in a flat plane, moving connectors and/or removing the second connector when it wasn't necessary, cutting the wires apart to round them or at least make them more flexible - I remember one suggestion (and thing I of course tried myself) was cutting the 80-conductor ribbons every 9 or so wires apart, then forming the chunks into sort of a cube-wire, it actually worked way better than you'd think.

Straker fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 14, 2015

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I remember before I 'ribboned' my IDE cables I would do origami with them to hug the case walls all the way to the drive.

IMO, cable management hasn't really gotten much better and it really should be eliminated at the root which is having cables in the first place. The worst is when you get everything nice and neat and then you can loving change anything or it becomes a pain to remove a part because you've got your cables fastened down so tight.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

FaustianQ posted:

Oh jesus loving christ, I'd kill to replace my HP 8460p with an ASUS X555D. Why would you think people would not want to buy these?

Because it's a garbage-tier plastic model that still isn't really up to gaming.

It'd be a huge shock going from your EliteBook down to something like that.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

dissss posted:

Because it's a garbage-tier plastic model that still isn't really up to gaming.

It'd be a huge shock going from your EliteBook down to something like that.

I highly doubt the 6470M I'm saddled with is competitive at all with an R7 APU. It can barely run things like CSS fluently, the i5 does jack poo poo for me.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

I remember before I 'ribboned' my IDE cables I would do origami with them to hug the case walls all the way to the drive.

IMO, cable management hasn't really gotten much better and it really should be eliminated at the root which is having cables in the first place. The worst is when you get everything nice and neat and then you can loving change anything or it becomes a pain to remove a part because you've got your cables fastened down so tight.

How feasible would it be to design a motherboard and bus that can drive a powerful GPU by itself with no additional power connectors on the card?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Woolie Wool posted:

How feasible would it be to design a motherboard and bus that can drive a powerful GPU by itself with no additional power connectors on the card?

"Gamer" laptops often do this.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Somebody mentioned that this has basically become the AMD nostalgia thread... Some guys in the GPU thread got a hold of some 300-series GPUs ahead of their official launch date, and the news is not good. This rate, nostalgia will be all this thread gets used for.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

I won my toxx. I wasn't supposed to win it :smith:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Woolie Wool posted:

It's just an added cost. It's not impossible from an electrical design perspective. PCIe wasn't designed to handle the power of relatively niche high end GPUs. Look at HP z8-- series workstations. Their 1000w PSU slots into the motherboard without cables. It can power 2x 18 core xeons and a bunch of other stuff.

Apple used to power their displays with mains power going from the motherboard, through a custom AGP slot and through a custom DVI port.

Having aux power going to any add in card is just in-elegant and having more than 1 cable is even worse.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 14, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

FaustianQ posted:

I highly doubt the 6470M I'm saddled with is competitive at all with an R7 APU. It can barely run things like CSS fluently, the i5 does jack poo poo for me.

It should be more then enough for web browsing.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

dissss posted:

It should be more then enough for web browsing.

As would the R7 and Carizzo, yet I sure as gently caress can't play games on my HP while the Carizzo will breeze through it. How hard is to understand that? Your argument is nonsensical, due to GPU limitations I'll never do anything on my laptop that makes the i5 useful.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Shaocaholica posted:

You can gut an old PowerMacG5 for less than that brah

It ain't nostalgic until you have an Antec Lanboy case, self-sleeved cables and a Fortron power supply

Also, Shao - did the parts get to you OK? Got a USPS notice that everything was on track to deliver on 6/13, want to make sure it made it safe and nothing got damaged in shipping. Keep me posted, if you had any USPS issues or parts problems I got no issues refunding the cost back.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jun 14, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

FaustianQ posted:

As would the R7 and Carizzo, yet I sure as gently caress can't play games on my HP while the Carizzo will breeze through it. How hard is to understand that? Your argument is nonsensical, due to GPU limitations I'll never do anything on my laptop that makes the i5 useful.

Depends on the games I guess - it certainly isn't going to breeze through anything relatively modern.

Anyway my comment was more directed at the rest of the system - going from any fairly high end system to a very entry level chassis is going to be painful.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

dissss posted:

Depends on the games I guess - it certainly isn't going to breeze through anything relatively modern.

Anyway my comment was more directed at the rest of the system - going from any fairly high end system to a very entry level chassis is going to be painful.

The Asus X555D isn't "entry" holy poo poo, it's the best Carizzo laptop slated for production and would stomp my current laptop flat in things like Skyrim and BF3 which it mostly would chug along at a reasonable 40fps.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
There's a guy in the parts picking thread who has the perfect AMD case, which he's probably going to replace anyway.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Rumor mill stuff on Bristol Ridge and Summit Ridge. The usual WCCFT caveats apply.

http://wccftech.com/amd-bristol-ridge-excavator-architecture-slides/

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Rumor mill stuff on Bristol Ridge and Summit Ridge. The usual WCCFT caveats apply.

http://wccftech.com/amd-bristol-ridge-excavator-architecture-slides/

AMD needs a 50% gain in instructions per clock just to keep competitive against Skylake. I wish there was some sort of Angel Investor willing to pour $14 billion into AMD's bank account just so that we can keep the hemorrhaging at bay...

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Ozz81 posted:

It ain't nostalgic until you have an Antec Lanboy case, self-sleeved cables and a Fortron power supply

Also, Shao - did the parts get to you OK? Got a USPS notice that everything was on track to deliver on 6/13, want to make sure it made it safe and nothing got damaged in shipping. Keep me posted, if you had any USPS issues or parts problems I got no issues refunding the cost back.

Thats my work address it got shipped to. Ill get it monday. And those old cases are hard to find for sale. Most of them are probably in people's storage or a landfill or recycled.

But that's got a whole system in it. He's probably not going to part it out. From a restoration standpoint, its better to leave it alone as a time capsule.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 14, 2015

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Ah, fudge bits! Removed the board and found several caps leaked that I didn't see before. Sorry man :(

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Angry Fish posted:

AMD needs a 50% gain in instructions per clock just to keep competitive against Skylake. I wish there was some sort of Angel Investor willing to pour $14 billion into AMD's bank account just so that we can keep the hemorrhaging at bay...

US DOD? One could look at competitive processing performance as a state security measure.

Still, Zen should only need to get within 10% of Skylake, hit a comparable power target, and undercut on price to recover as a viable alternative?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FaustianQ posted:

US DOD? One could look at competitive processing performance as a state security measure.

Still, Zen should only need to get within 10% of Skylake, hit a comparable power target, and undercut on price to recover as a viable alternative?
There's also trouble with high frequencies on the 14nm node, and if Intel hasn't gotten that down pat by late this year (Skylake's release) there's already another opportunity made.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

There's also trouble with high frequencies on the 14nm node, and if Intel hasn't gotten that down pat by late this year (Skylake's release) there's already another opportunity made.

Yea, AMD gets to learn from Intels gently caress ups on 14nm, although Since AMDs 14nm is GoFlo it's already proven correct?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Learn what though? You'd think any headway made would be kept somewhat secret.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

FaustianQ posted:

Yea, AMD gets to learn from Intels gently caress ups on 14nm, although Since AMDs 14nm is GoFlo it's already proven correct?

I believe we need to think more pessimistically about AMD's prospects, given the fact that they have less than 10% of Intel's research budget. 2.9 billion vs 250 million.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Hasn't Samsung been busy stealing everyone's 14nm secrets to jumpstart their own production?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

pienipple posted:

Ah, fudge bits! Removed the board and found several caps leaked that I didn't see before. Sorry man :(

Don't worry, I had a backup plan

It's no ASUS but now I don't have to deal with finding 3x1GB sticks of 'gamer' ram.

• Locked thread