Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Diabolik900 posted:

The wording is confusing, but I believe Apple Music will do everything that Match does. I think Match is just being kept around for people who don't want to pay for Apple Music.

Is this true? What I've been seeing about Music is it's not an iTunes Match replacement and the two will "work together" somehow. If it does everything Match does but also gives me the streaming then I'll be cancelling my Match immediately when this launches. Do we have confirmation of this anywhere though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

Is this true? What I've been seeing about Music is it's not an iTunes Match replacement and the two will "work together" somehow. If it does everything Match does but also gives me the streaming then I'll be cancelling my Match immediately when this launches. Do we have confirmation of this anywhere though?
It seems that anything it can *match* to the Apple Music library (which is NOT the full iTunes library) will be instantly available, but this might NOT include everything in YOUR library. (The Beatles are a notable exception every article brings up.)

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

It seems that anything it can *match* to the Apple Music library (which is NOT the full iTunes library) will be instantly available, but this might NOT include everything in YOUR library. (The Beatles are a notable exception every article brings up.)

From http://www.apple.com/music/membership/

quote:

With an Apple Music membership, your entire library lives in iCloud. We compare every track in your collection to the Apple Music library to see if we have a copy. If we do, you can automatically listen to it straight from the cloud. If you have music that’s not in our catalog, we upload those songs from iTunes on your Mac or PC. It’s all in iCloud, so it won’t take up any space on your devices.

That really sounds like it does everything Match does, including uploading stuff that's not in their library.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hm, true. I wonder if it requires iCloud space or if it's part of the service like it is with Match.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
iTunes Match also acts as kind of an amnesty service too though iirc, like you get to download and keep whatever stuff gets matched in higher quality. The question for me is where DRM comes into play for Apple Music since presumably there's something there for the offline functionality to work

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I really hope that works exactly how it sounds. I was slightly miffed about the prospect of giving them $10 a month and still having to pay the $25 a year for Match on top of that. Not super angry or anything, because whatever, $25 a year is cheap, but if I don't and can still get all the functionality of Match with just the Apple Music sub, I'm pretty stoked.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

japtor posted:

We might be able to get real ad blockers in iOS now:
https://developer.apple.com/library...0014305-CH9-SW9

:pray:

Saw this today, PLZ let AdBlock on iOS Safari

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Endless Mike posted:

Sorry your beta software doesn't run everything perfectly yet.

I was just letting people know? You seem aggressive whenever you reply to my tweets. It's weird.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

I was just letting people know? You seem aggressive whenever you reply to my tweets. It's weird.

You never jerked me off when I asked. :mad:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
It's a long line of dicks

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Diabolik900 posted:

The wording is confusing, but I believe Apple Music will do everything that Match does. I think Match is just being kept around for people who don't want to pay for Apple Music.

This was kicked around in the WWDC thread, and I think that's my conclusion as well. There still *some* Apple Music features for the free tier, but storing your library in iCloud isn't one of them. I'm pretty sure that's the "they compliment each other" part. I already have Beats Music, so my account gets converted at the end of June, but I'm hoping I still get credit for the free introduction period for Apple Music. Regardless, having the iCloud library storage for streaming and the availability of all of Apple's music library(except maybe some artists here and there) pretty much seals the deal. Their library dwarfs any other (legal) streaming services.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 11, 2015

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
If they are trying to make Match and Music compliment each other, I'm worried that Music's storage is going to take up the already sorta limited iCloud space. Fingers crossed it is essentially a full-on replacement for Match!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I really don't think it'll use your iCloud, especially as I'd say most people (myself included) are using the paltry 5gb option.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Has it been said whether Apple Music has the same 25K song limit as iTunes match? I'm not looking to discuss whether anyone "needs" that much music. It's just that if I have to start picking and choosing what to include from my library, I'm not gonna be interested in the service. The selling point seems to be the convenience of having ALL your stuff available.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

For uploaded stuff? Probably. For stuff from their library? I doubt it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Minidust posted:

Has it been said whether Apple Music has the same 25K song limit as iTunes match? I'm not looking to discuss whether anyone "needs" that much music. It's just that if I have to start picking and choosing what to include from my library, I'm not gonna be interested in the service. The selling point seems to be the convenience of having ALL your stuff available.

iTunes Match wasn't a 25K limit on library size, it was a limit on how many songs you had that didn't match anything in the iTunes catalog and needed to be uploaded. For me it worked out to about 1200 songs out of over 10,000 when iTunes Match started.

So unless your library is full of things like field recordings you took of Tuvan Throat Singers, you're probably going to be fine.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

flosofl posted:

iTunes Match wasn't a 25K limit on library size, it was a limit on how many songs you had that didn't match anything in the iTunes catalog and needed to be uploaded. For me it worked out to about 1200 songs out of over 10,000 when iTunes Match started.

So unless your library is full of things like field recordings you took of Tuvan Throat Singers, you're probably going to be fine.

Now the important question, how many songs does a 2+ hour EDM mix count as?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

flosofl posted:

Are you sure? I thought it was 25k tracks not purchased from iTunes regardless of whether they matched or not. Even still, if it switches to what you're saying with Apple Music (which makes plenty of sense), 25k should be pretty extraordinary unless your library is, yeah Tuvan throat singers and 2 hour EDM mixes.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Endless Mike posted:

Are you sure? I thought it was 25k tracks not purchased from iTunes regardless of whether they matched or not. Even still, if it switches to what you're saying with Apple Music (which makes plenty of sense), 25k should be pretty extraordinary unless your library is, yeah Tuvan throat singers and 2 hour EDM mixes.

That’s why I consolidated and mixed the singers in with the edm

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

drat it looks like you were right.

quote:

You can store up to 25,000 songs in iCloud (more if songs are purchased from the iTunes Store)

It looks like songs straight up purchased from iTunes are the only ones that aren't counted against the 25K.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Welp, I'm out then. Thanks for the clarification guys.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Minidust posted:

Welp, I'm out then. Thanks for the clarification guys.

We don't know if it's the same with Apple Music though. I would assume it wouldn't upload stuff that matched things in their streaming library, as the way it's worded says specifically: "If you have music that’s not in our catalog, we upload those songs from iTunes on your Mac or PC."

That makes it sound like for Apple Music if it's in the library it doesn't upload it because why would it when they already have it there.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TheJoker138 posted:

We don't know if it's the same with Apple Music though. I would assume it wouldn't upload stuff that matched things in their streaming library, as the way it's worded says specifically: "If you have music that’s not in our catalog, we upload those songs from iTunes on your Mac or PC."

That makes it sound like for Apple Music if it's in the library it doesn't upload it because why would it when they already have it there.

Well it already doesn't upload songs that match regardless of where you bought them. But from the wording on the iTunes Match page, if you bought the songs from say, Amazon, you get access to the iTunes store version for iCloud storage and it counts against your 25K total.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

flosofl posted:

Well it already doesn't upload songs that match regardless of where you bought them. But from the wording on the iTunes Match page, if you bought the songs from say, Amazon, you get access to the iTunes store version for iCloud storage and it counts against your 25K total.

Yes, but that's iTunes Match. This is a streaming service. So you're already paying them $10 a month to get access to the songs in their streaming library, so why would it count stuff you are already paying to get access to against your song limit?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The confusion around Apple Music is hilarious. It's exactly like the confusion over OSX Photos a few months back

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock
Heres a question for you app devs:

Say I have an iPhone app. If I turn that iPhone app into a universal app, and the current user upgrades to the new version of the app, will the iPad version automatically be installed (provided the user has an iPad and automatic downloads turned on)?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Cheesegod posted:

Say I have an iPhone app. If I turn that iPhone app into a universal app, and the current user upgrades to the new version of the app, will the iPad version automatically be installed (provided the user has an iPad and automatic downloads turned on)?

Automatic Download only picks up new purchases. So no, if this is an update to an existing app, it won't appear on the iPad by itself.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
There's one less choice when you're arguing about podcast apps now

Instacast is no more

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
It pretty much never comes up in the discussion here, but it's what I used because it worked with the paid (passworded) podcast I subscribed to and had iOS / OSX sync. That sucks. :(

An update just came out like two or three days ago, too.

Now I don't know what to use. I have paid for Overcast but it doesn't work with passworded podcasts well and the web client sync was terrible.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

POCKET CHOMP posted:

It pretty much never comes up in the discussion here, but it's what I used because it worked with the paid (passworded) podcast I subscribed to and had iOS / OSX sync. That sucks. :(

An update just came out like two or three days ago, too.

Now I don't know what to use. I have paid for Overcast but it doesn't work with passworded podcasts well and the web client sync was terrible.

Not sure if this is what you mean by Overcast not working "well", but it's possible to put your login credentials in the feed address by manual adding the URL and doing something like "http://username:password@https://www.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/premium/". It's far from ideal, but it's something.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Absolutely tried it, it would do one of either two things: successfully get the list of podcasts (which meant it was accessing the rss file or whatever) but never actually be able to load an episode, or load 1-2 episodes and then completely fail to ever update again.

edit: and it should be noted that Instacast also loses its login credentials every week or so, but at least it prompts you to re-enter them because it had a mechanism for doing so. Since Overcast requires that URL trick, it doesn't have any way of doing so when there's a problem.

POCKET CHOMP fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 14, 2015

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
My bespoke podcasting system is ruined

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

:pray:

Saw this today, PLZ let AdBlock on iOS Safari

yeah of course, that's the point

to annihilate google's main revenue stream

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

Does anyone know of a free OBD reading app that works with a bluetooth based scanner? I'm finding plenty that work with a wifi one but none that work with bluetooth scanners.

Barring that, anyone know of a free windows program that'll work with a bluetooth scanner?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Which bluetooth scanner? If it's the elm, no apps will work because the phone itself can't even connect to it. If it's the gopoint bt1 I have one of those and use it with dash command. I believe it's the only bluetooth one that works with iOS, but it's a bit pricey.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Wikiamo died. I need a new Wikipedia app that will allow me to read articles offline. any ideas?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

GutBomb posted:

Which bluetooth scanner? If it's the elm, no apps will work because the phone itself can't even connect to it. If it's the gopoint bt1 I have one of those and use it with dash command. I believe it's the only bluetooth one that works with iOS, but it's a bit pricey.
Yeah for Bluetooth the device needs the whole Made for iPhone certification, which pushes most adapters to around the $100 range.

Dash Command switched to $10 w/IAP for some specific manufacturer years so I guess it's not that pricey anymore I guess. OBD Fusion is another one but it doesn't mention the BT1, just wifi and Automatic and LElink adapters. The dev seemed pretty responsive when I asked about some stuff so you could ask him.

Back to adapters for a sec, I got the second gen Automatic one a little while back, $100 but there's $20 off coupon codes that are easy enough to find. A bit sketchy since they released with a limited OBD stack (to be rectified soonish supposedly) and they have some startup connection issues, but the tracking is kinda neat if you have a use for it. If you're interested I'd still wait a bit till they get those issues resolved though.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Anyone know why some days Waze has a really low volume? I use it on my 6+ all the time and yesterday I just couldn't hear it in the car over the fans of the AC. I checked phone volume was at max and Waze sounds were on with biggest speaker symbol.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
I'm genuinely curious, but is there a reason to use Waze now that Google Maps has integrated quite a few of their features?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Google maps has reports on speed traps?