Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!

bathroomrage posted:

Plug in a controller with four face buttons, I played it once with the keyboard and never again because fuuuuuck that noise.

I'm afraid I don't have a controller designed to work with the computer, and I've never gotten the hang out how to make my PS3 controllers work right on the computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Crypt of the Oh God This Was So Much Easier Fifteen Years Ago: My Knees Edition

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Soft pad casual. Real Necrodancers shell out $500 for a hard pad. :colbert:

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!

Into Hard Mode we go.
Because why am I doing this to myself?

Meanwhile, there's a happy lil' Cultist doing a jig. Can you spot him in this video?

Part 6, Life 5, 6, and 7, Newgame+ Bling

As always, I'll update my OP.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

And just as a heads up for folks, Monstrum is 45% off for today, making it only $9.89 USD. It's a horror game set on a randomly generated ship each game. It's not quite a roguelike, but I figured it'd be worth sharing here anyway

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

ousire posted:

I picked up Darkest Dungeon yesterday, but I'm quite tempted to grab Necrodancer since it seems unlikely to go much lower. I'm seriously considering Titan Souls, though it's not a roguelike

Also grabbed Darkest Dungeon -- very fun. I think it's the first time I've seen sanity systemized in a way that wasn't totally just a second life bar.

TwistedSynapse
Dec 31, 2012

Voted Most Purple Wizard
2007, 2009, 2011, and 2014
Gonna have to join in on the chorus of goons wanting their shadenfreude via blind spoiler-less Nethack.
really all I can think to say on the matter is :getin:

Loving pretty much all this stuff, especially since I don't really have the time to play roguelikes much anymore myself.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Wait what, how is crypt of the necrodancer hard to play with a keyboard? There are 4 buttons!

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

TwistedSynapse posted:

Gonna have to join in on the chorus of goons wanting their shadenfreude via blind spoiler-less Nethack.
really all I can think to say on the matter is :getin:

Uh, well, I did it. It, uh, didn't go too well the first time round (surprise, surprise)

(also made my own thread, hope crossposting here is ok)

NETHACK 4: Run 1, Level 1 - I may have overlooked a key detail here

More fun later, next update I do actually play more. Oh god.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Agent355 posted:

Wait what, how is crypt of the necrodancer hard to play with a keyboard? There are 4 buttons!

It's not so much that the controls themselves are hard, it's just that playing for more that a short while at a time made my arm start to cramp up.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Espilae posted:

Uh, well, I did it. It, uh, didn't go too well the first time round (surprise, surprise)

NETHACK 4: Run 1, Level 1 - I may have overlooked a key detail here

More fun later, next update I do actually play more. Oh god.

Note to everyone: This is the best attempt at any game posted in this thread so far.

SniHjen
Oct 22, 2010

ousire posted:

It's not so much that the controls themselves are hard, it's just that playing for more that a short while at a time made my arm start to cramp up.

Bind the controls to numpad, with up-right being numpad9

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah, don't use the two button combos for items in Necrodancer, since you can rebind those to a actual key if you are stuck with a keyboard. It might take some time to get used to, but its 100% reliable and you are less likely to do stuff like mix up up left and up right.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Note to everyone: This is the best attempt at any game posted in this thread so far.

yes seriously you absolutely must read this one, it is incredible.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

ousire posted:

Honestly at that point it sounds like your keyboard isn't very ergonomic. Look into a better playing position. Tapping the arrow keys for a few minutes really shouldn't make your arm cramp up at all.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

hito posted:

yes seriously you absolutely must read this one, it is incredible.

Holy poo poo, you aren't kidding. That was magical.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Darkest Dungeon is hard, and because I'm bad, it's doubly hard. Can barely survive the first run.

It's great.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
That Nethack LP is a work of art :allears:

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Blind Nethack run is everything I never knew I wanted :allears:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

That was amazing. Thank you.

ADOM Ultra-Ending Attempts Episode 4

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Zoig posted:

Yeah, don't use the two button combos for items in Necrodancer, since you can rebind those to a actual key if you are stuck with a keyboard. It might take some time to get used to, but its 100% reliable and you are less likely to do stuff like mix up up left and up right.

You guys are a bunch of babies. I'm up to doing all worlds runs with the last few characters in my own personal playtime (updates sometime!) and I've been using bombs, war dums, and every other button combo just fine by being a super cool dude with the arrow keys.

The game is crushingly difficult, embrace it, take off the crutches of babbys.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Treasure Hunter makes it so that when a monster doesn't drop an item on death, there's a 12.5% chance that it drops an item anyway. finally playing a non-Treasure Hunter character after going TH exclusively was a real pain, it took farming the BDC to get a single scroll of danger. Treasure Hunter for life.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

This time it isn't an abortion!

NETHACK 4: Run 2, Level 1 - This goddamn dog is the worst

By the way guys, thanks for the feedback. I'm getting confident now as I work out the controls, but that only makes me more nervous there's some kind of fuckery just around the corner.

Autisanal Cheese fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 14, 2015

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

If it's any comfort some of the completely awful things that could happen have been removed.or give you warnings.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Espilae posted:

Feel free to keep crossposting here; I'll throw a link to your thread into the OP. However, I won't be enforcing the spoiler-free thing here due to other people playing/explaining/discussing Nethack for other LPs, so have some caution if you want to stay blind.

Also, this is great :allears:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

uPen posted:

It's a lot easier than Nethack with no spoilers.

To be fair, Nethack comes with an easy mode you can use to learn the game (Explore Mode) if you're ok with not getting on the high score list. Something that a lot of modern roguelikes actually don't have -- Dredmor lets you disable permadeath, and ToME4 has an Explore Mode for donators, but I can't think of any others offhand.

bathroomrage posted:

drat right, game even has a mode for using a dance pad.

What exactly does that mode do? I tried it out (on the keyboard, since my pads are still in storage) and all it seemed to do was start me with more gear.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

To be fair, Nethack comes with an easy mode you can use to learn the game (Explore Mode) if you're ok with not getting on the high score list. Something that a lot of modern roguelikes actually don't have -- Dredmor lets you disable permadeath, and ToME4 has an Explore Mode for donators, but I can't think of any others offhand.

Crawl has wizard mode, which is basically the same thing.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Brogue has a mode that makes you take -80% damage, but also earn -90% score.

Also, the Carebear posts/thread is the best thing. :allears: That amulet of ESP was pretty lucky, considering that like half the amulets (which are pretty rare in the first place) are generated cursed, and at least one will just outright kill you.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

ToxicFrog posted:

What exactly does that mode do? I tried it out (on the keyboard, since my pads are still in storage) and all it seemed to do was start me with more gear.

It makes the game easier and makes the beats more forgiving.

Espilae posted:

NETHACK 4: Run 2, Level 2 - This goddamn dog is the worst

By the way guys, thanks for the feedback. I'm getting confident now as I work out the controls, but that only makes me more nervous there's some kind of fuckery just around the corner.

Please never stop. :allears: I was wrong in telling you to try Crawl first.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

ADOM is supposed to have exploration mode when it comes out on Steam too. Which I guess means that the paid-backer version probably also has it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Angband's had some cheats for years, including a cheat to ignore death (which just revives you on the spot) and one to know exactly what every single monster can do. Honestly that one should probably be turned on by default, since there are monsters that can kill you dead from full HP in one action if you don't know what you're doing, and learning what they are by dying to each one once is not a fun way to play.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Brogue has a mode that makes you take -80% damage, but also earn -90% score.

Also, the Carebear posts/thread is the best thing. :allears: That amulet of ESP was pretty lucky, considering that like half the amulets (which are pretty rare in the first place) are generated cursed, and at least one will just outright kill you.

AHAHAHA I missed that. I was waiting for an Amulet of Strangulation but when that didn't happen I didn't bother to check for any other signs.

He's also already got an iron helmet, so no falling rock insta-deaths. I'm waiting for him to learn how to force-attack so he can kill the dog and take that massive luck penalty. I'm also wondering if he'll try to eat the next rat he kills, since the dog ate it last time and was fine. If he does it might actually prove that a certain Nethack mechanic can actually be learned from something other than spoilers.

Wow, this looks like a CIA document.

Redacted

Princey
Mar 22, 2013

Espilae posted:

NETHACK 4: Run 2, Level 1 - This goddamn dog is the worst

This is exactly what I wanted. The first run was magical.

Also the caution around the zombie was interesting! Zombies are pretty harmless in Nethack4, but in Grunthack they're potentially instadeath.

Edit: Pretty minor but added spoiler tags just in case.

Princey fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 14, 2015

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Mzbundifund posted:

Joe Moppin' goes out on the town and finds mops, mittens, and mildew in:

What happened there, anyway? Is a moose not coded as an animal?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It's coded as an animal but fairly territorial and ornery. It has no qualms about coming up to you and trampling you dead if it wants to.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

Sage Grimm posted:

It's coded as an animal but fairly territorial and ornery. It has no qualms about coming up to you and trampling you dead if it wants to.

It is pretty amusing to be see a horde of zombies taken out by a moose that really wants to kill you though.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Sage Grimm posted:

It's coded as an animal but fairly territorial and ornery.

And by "fairly territorial" s/he practically means line of sight. I kid, but while moose are jerks though, thank heavens there's no gaggles of Canadian geese.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Or Canadian flying bears.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

This sounds like what I've heard of moose. I live in the northeast of the States. Driver's ed told me not to stop near moose on the road because they can and will jump on your car and kill you. Oh, and the moose my aunt and uncle got a decade ago tried to charge them after the first two shots didn't kill it.

Basically, moose don't mess around. They fit right into a roguelike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Was completely expecting this to be about Canada geese, who are giant fuckers and who will hunt you down if you get close to their territory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMdhAFPWzFw

• Locked thread