Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

dog kisser posted:

New peglaci ship tiers, as part of my continuing Stockholm syndrome with this game.

This looks good, nice job! So are you making an entire new race? I think you might've accidentally left a part overlapping another on the final tier ship, just above the engines.

On Friday I worked on the parallax backgrounds so the forests actually look like forests now. I'll do a little more work on Monday so the trees always match up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Supernorn posted:

This looks good, nice job! So are you making an entire new race? I think you might've accidentally left a part overlapping another on the final tier ship, just above the engines.

On Friday I worked on the parallax backgrounds so the forests actually look like forests now. I'll do a little more work on Monday so the trees always match up.

Yeah - fixed error on T8 ship. And Peglaci race is already made, just porting over. They have all tiers of armor and weapons, 25 tiered guns, objects, tiles and descriptions for all ingame objects.

No villages yet, waiting for Tiled!

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Supernorn posted:

This looks great! Man, this game has so much good art attached to... Whatever the game part of this game is intended to be.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Supernorn, if you manage to get Chucklefish to donate $100 to Bernie Sanders' campaign, I will never post anything negative about Starbound anywhere on the internet ever again.

:toxx:

pwnyXpress fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 14, 2015

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

pwnyXpress posted:

Supernorn, if you manage to get Chucklefish to donate $100 to Bernie Sanders' campaign, I will never post anything negative about Starbound anywhere on the internet ever again.

Even though you've barely made less than 15 posts in this 59 page thread, I liked your proposal. But you didn't even :toxx: it. Come on, man.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Supernorn posted:

Even though you've barely made less than 15 posts in this 59 page thread, I liked your proposal. But you didn't even :toxx: it. Come on, man.

I'll toxx it for $50 :toxx:

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Why are you so weirdly bitter

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cicadas! posted:

is this a question for me

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
because if so

im not?????

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

No, the other guy. His statement just came off super bitter to me for some reason. He probably isn't.
And he draws nice trees.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i just post things and i try to make myself laugh its not like i wake up every morning and think CHUCKLEFUCK!!!!!!!!!!!! I spent $20 or whatever on a game that i got a good amount of playtime on, but it STILL IS MISSING A LOT OF CONTENT IM REALLY MADDDDDDDD

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cicadas! posted:

No, the other guy.
He draws good trees tho.

ohhhhhhhh

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Eonwe posted:

i just post things and i try to make myself laugh its not like i wake up every morning and think CHUCKLEFUCK!!!!!!!!!!!! I spent $20 or whatever on a game that i got a good amount of playtime on, but it STILL IS MISSING A LOT OF CONTENT IM REALLY MADDDDDDDD
Yeah, same

Also
owns

E:

Supernorn posted:

This owns too btw, now we only need the game to also own. Starbound art has been really top stuff since the beginning, but you know how I feel about the game itself

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

this was a poor decision

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 14, 2015

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Cicadas! posted:

I'm not bitter at all! Sorry if you're reading it that way. Let's keep that criticism pointed at the game though, okay.

Thanks for the tree comments. Pretty happy with how it's looking, just need to expand on it a bit further.

Eonwe I looked it up and I have to be an American to donate. Am I going to be arrested in the middle of the night if I make a donation?

Kernel Monsoon fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 14, 2015

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Supernorn posted:

I'm not bitter at all! Sorry if you're reading it that way. Let's keep that criticism pointed at the game though, okay.

Thanks for the tree comments. Pretty happy with how it's looking, just need to expand on it a bit further.

Eonwe I looked it up and I have to be an American to donate. Am I going to be arrested in the middle of the night if I make a donation?

I edited in my toxx.

Also, I'm sure you have an American friend you can funnel the money through. Wouldn't want foreigners buying our elections when multinational corporations can. :bernget:

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Ships added for Peglaci.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Supernorn posted:

Does the background change with the density of foreground trees?

I think Terraria does this and I'm sorta mixed on it; it seems cool until you have this thicket of trees that changes the biome for half a second while you run past it.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
What did they do to asteroid fields? I admit it's been a couple of years since I last played, but I remember them being filled with hard monsters, top ores and hidden bases with insane guns. It was always about seeing how much you could grab before you ran out of air, and tricking the monsters into falling off the asteroids.

Now there's nothing there. Can't believe I did those quests to get FTL travel. And it gives you unlimited air?

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I guess you weren't progressing the way you were supposed to, grinding each tier one at a time.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

JerikTelorian posted:

Does the background change with the density of foreground trees?

I think Terraria does this and I'm sorta mixed on it; it seems cool until you have this thicket of trees that changes the biome for half a second while you run past it.

As you said, I think Terraria does it because you're transitioning through the biomes, whereas this parallax only appears on forest planets. So no background changes, it'll be dense forest all the way across the surface.

Already started with the canopy alternatives:

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Those look pretty nice! Would clear-cutting a planet and introducing a different tree desing from another planet also change the canopy design?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Supernorn posted:

you might

and that would be bad

dont get in trouble on account of a forum

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Supernorn posted:

This looks drat good. Helps tremendously with the immersion and knowing "Oh im in a loving forest, not a copse of poo poo-trees"

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
I like the forest parallax, looks pretty cool.

oh, im supposed to make some sort of joke against starbound, let me think.

I find the fact that this game has only two very defined genders as male and female to be very problematic.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Rrussom posted:

I find the fact that this game has only two very defined genders as male and female to be very problematic.

A polite applause and laughter from the audience. A single individual even goes so far as to "Woo!" in support.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Dandywalken posted:

A polite applause and laughter from the audience. A single individual even goes so far as to "Woo!" in support.

I would have also accepted "YOU SUCK MCBAIN".

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

ScorpioMajesty posted:

So what do, YOU people! Think should be done to better the game known as Starbound?
I haven't read a Starbound thread in months but way back in the other one I made this post in response to Nerdz:

IronicDongz posted:

the actual problem is that monsters all fill very similar roles.
You know how in super metroid(an exploration heavy game, which is fun) there are creatures that cling to walls and climb all around in caves, there are hopping creatures, there are small creatures that are attached to each other in a mass which they detach from when shot, creatures which move in a group, there are creatures which are essentially floating mines, there are creatures that hide in lava or sand, there are creatures that produce light, there are creatures like moray eels which retract into the walls, there are creatures that block hallways, there are creatures who lose their wings upon taking damage, creatures who cling to the ceiling and divebomb you, creatures which roll around in armor, mouths attached to the ceiling, fish, antlion things which wait underwater to pull you in when you go near, etc. etc. etc.

Meanwhile, Starbound has three enemy types-or, being generous, 6. Ground monster(melee and projectile), flying monster(melee and projectile), humanoid(melee and projectile).
There may be many more technically, due to the randomization, but the differences are quite shallow. You're not gonna engage 2 different melee ground monsters in a significantly different way, or 2 different flying projectile monsters. The only exception to this is if you fight out of the depth your armor/weapon tier allows, in which case you get 1-2 shot instead of 2-4 shot. Even given how hard it is to make a procedural generation system that feels consistently fresh, it's really disappointing.
This is still the biggest problem with Starbound spelunking and combat.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Now is the winter of our discount content
I just read the whole thread and this was the best post in it

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah gently caress it I'll start back in on the mantizi ships, I had 5 tiers done already anyway

I'll also work on updating the OP, if you've got a mod or a server or whatever you want me to add to it, let me know

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
We're putting some more work into weapons, It's coming along nicely and now we can do way more interesting stuff that wasn't possible before:

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Supernorn posted:

We're putting some more work into weapons, It's coming along nicely and now we can do way more interesting stuff that wasn't possible before:

Can't wait to resprite that to shoot birds at rockets instead!

edit: What I'd really like to see is projectiles that can force the camera to follow them. Some sort of scouting drone or grenade would be excellent, and allow for all sorts of secondary uses. Off the top of my head, traps you can set in your base that pull the camera to it if they receive a signal.

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 23, 2015

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Supernorn posted:

This should be a starting weapon, gently caress birds.

I would really, really love something like this for mining, like a Ghostbusters positron beam that just churns through rock. Mining is tedious as hell but if I could dig awesome, natural looking tunnels with something like this it would become really cool.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 23, 2015

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

dog kisser posted:

Can't wait to resprite that to shoot birds at rockets instead!

edit: What I'd really like to see is projectiles that can force the camera to follow them. Some sort of scouting drone or grenade would be excellent, and allow for all sorts of secondary uses. Off the top of my head, traps you can set in your base that pull the camera to it if they receive a signal.

The problem is chunk generation speed can't keep up with anything faster than normal movement speed, back in the day when bubble flight was infinite you used to run into problems of unloaded chunks.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Supernorn posted:

*drains all energy forcing you to swap to melee*

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

ColHannibal posted:

The problem is chunk generation speed can't keep up with anything faster than normal movement speed, back in the day when bubble flight was infinite you used to run into problems of unloaded chunks.

Then have the projectile travel at normal movement speed! And in the case of camera traps, you'll de facto put them in places you've already been.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Supernorn posted:

Yesssss :getin:
Really liking all the weapon mechanics changes I'm seeing so far, it looks like it'll add a lot of flexibility for both you and modders. There better be a wealth of joke weapons like the gnaremoob, because that gif sold me on the game again.

Two questions, though.
1: I notice the missiles' homing is a sort of "active" tracking, as in you guide them with your mouse cursor. I prefer being able to steer them yourself, but would it also be possible to implement passive tracking; IE the missile homes in on its own?
2: What is the green bar and light that turns red when you shoot? Have you finally decided to ditch energy reliance for ranged weapons and given them clip/cooldown reloads? Please say yes.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Cicadas! posted:

2: What is the green bar and light that turns red when you shoot? Have you finally decided to ditch energy reliance for ranged weapons and given them clip/cooldown reloads? Please say yes.

I'm pretty sure that's in the sprite - like it's being pushed back from the recoil. That in itself is interesting, because I don't think that sort of animation was possible beforehand. Also I REALLY hope that the lua animation changes don't break all my guns animations!

But they're based off Bow animations, so as long as those stay similar I can just copy them over, somehow!

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Bleremiah posted:

What did they do to asteroid fields? I admit it's been a couple of years since I last played, but I remember them being filled with hard monsters, top ores and hidden bases with insane guns. It was always about seeing how much you could grab before you ran out of air, and tricking the monsters into falling off the asteroids.

Now there's nothing there. Can't believe I did those quests to get FTL travel. And it gives you unlimited air?

This was the change I was most heartbroken over. Between the monsters and the terrain, asteroid mining was tricky even with the 'air vents produce oxygen' mod. I still miss my sweet 'two asteroids connected by a glass and steel walkway' base that I slowly carved out and filled a cool science lab.

If there was a way to roll back to Enraged Koala, I'd do it in a heartbeat just to get all the cool modded biomes back. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
tell desi to make the mod again

• Locked thread