Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why is the Catholic League so popular all of a sudden? 80% of the HRE is protestant and reformed, but the only people willing to pony up the effort to fight for the Protestant League are a few free cities. The Catholic League, on the other hand, has basically every Catholic (and Orthodox) power in Europe and the Ottomans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Something is all sorts of wrong with my EU install. But oddly enough the checksum still passes. :v:

I was wondering what was off until I saw the recommended starts. I think that is Leinster, then Ferrara, Milan, Provence?, old Sweden flag I think (too many drat blue flags), Cologne, Munster, Perm, Armenia and the Commonwealth. Considering two of those do not exist in 1444, and one of those is no longer a flag in the game, yeah, something is messed up. And since two of them are OPMs and one is a weak vassal (Perm), recommendation is not really a word I would use with them.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 14, 2015

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah, all the flags are hosed. I just finished a complete reinstall and it's still all broken. If I start the game, Brandenburg does in fact have Austria's flag. I wonder how the hell this happened.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, all the flags are hosed. I just finished a complete reinstall and it's still all broken. If I start the game, Brandenburg does in fact have Austria's flag. I wonder how the hell this happened.

Did you delete your documents folder? Maybe all the flags are saved wrong there.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Try deleting all your mods and starting without steam on? Lots of weird poo poo that popped up since common sense seems to be related to steamworks.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Rofl at the last two suggestions

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i really appreciate this picture

Afonso V be with you

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
FWIW it took me a long time to internalize that there's only one L in Castile.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
Is there some way to join the 30YW even after it's started? I joined the Protestant League as Ottomans before the war kicked off, but never got an option to join in when Sweden declared the war against the Emperor (Bohemia, in this case).

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Silver Alicorn posted:

:aaaaa:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Since we were posting about crazy Europes:

(Aragon was my buddy, but I had nothing to do with that Lithuania, especially since they were
rivals with my other buds in Austria[-Hungary]).

France actually still exists, with a capital of... Manila!
The Netherlands are in the cape.
Also that Portugal was at one point Revolutionary Portugal --- and Absolute Monarchy vassal of Galicia.
The counter-revolutionary CB is kinda wonky in that case: you have to break the vassalization first.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I totally forgot there was a new expansion out. What are the most fun German minors for this patch?

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

:stare:

Delete that abomination of a save game and throw your hard drive in a furnace.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

I totally forgot there was a new expansion out. What are the most fun German minors for this patch?

Frankfurt.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Ugh, is there going to be another hotfix for the CTD when Hainaut gets released?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Back To 99 posted:

Did you delete your documents folder? Maybe all the flags are saved wrong there.

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Try deleting all your mods and starting without steam on? Lots of weird poo poo that popped up since common sense seems to be related to steamworks.

I'd already deleted all the mods to no effect, but deleting the EU4 folder in My Docs and starting without Steam did indeed fix it. Now that I've done it once it seems I can launch from Steam correctly as well.

Average Bear posted:

Rofl at the last two suggestions

I shared your skepticism, but it worked. :iiam:

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Personally for me i couldn't get the game to launch on Friday until I tried with steam off so. But like you it worked fine afterwards normally. :shrug:

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I bring even rarer tales, one of a surviving AI Sunni Granada

Around 1495, I did have to stop the Iberian Wedding triggering, but that was because Castille had been beaten badly in a war by Aragon a few years back and they both had valid heirs, so I didn't feel that Castille getting the PU was justified, but apart from that I have nothing to do with Granada. It's not continuous, there was a 10-year period when it got annexed fully, then freed by separatist rebels.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
The flags are saved in the documents folder so it's pretty obvious that letting the game recreate them could work...

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Back To 99 posted:

The flags are saved in the documents folder so it's pretty obvious that letting the game recreate them could work...

Well would you look at that. I had no idea there was a copy over there.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Silver Alicorn posted:

which is funny because Castilla has two lls

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
There were a few posts here about the new event that removes Italy from the HRE if you don't control all of the Kingdom of Italy between 1490-1550.

It's not at all tough to do if you start as Austria, though probably near impossible as anyone else. Note that you need to add each province in the Kingdom of Italy region to the HRE, which means conquering and coring a bunch of high-value Italian provinces. Specifically, you need Verona, Treviso, and Friuli from Venice (but NOT Venezia itself thankfully) and the entirety of the Papal State + their vassal Urbino. You can do that in 2-3 wars each and it will put you behind a couple ADM techs, just keep your national focus on ADM and you can manage it by 1480 no problem. After I cored all of the Papal State and added the provinces to the HRE, I released Urbino as a vassal, sold them the Papal provinces and then canceled vassalization.

Edit: to clarify, the ADM point cost is high but you'll catch back up no problem if you keep your national focus set to it. Just don't plan on taking an ADM idea line early or doing much coring otherwise.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 14, 2015

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Why is it that I can release a vassal and they can have a completely different religion than my own nation and the provinces that they'll get?

Dumb feature imo

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I'm playing the Hansa and I'm not sure what the danger level for republican tradition is since I don't play republics much. I want good rulers, but at the same time I don't want to destabilize my country. My tradition is always above 85 and I rarely leave a guy in office for more than two terms. How safe is it to keep a ruler around for a while, especially now that monarch points can be used directly for improving your provinces' base tax and they add up fast if you can get, say, a 7/3/3 guy?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'm playing the Hansa and I'm not sure what the danger level for republican tradition is since I don't play republics much. I want good rulers, but at the same time I don't want to destabilize my country. My tradition is always above 85 and I rarely leave a guy in office for more than two terms. How safe is it to keep a ruler around for a while, especially now that monarch points can be used directly for improving your provinces' base tax and they add up fast if you can get, say, a 7/3/3 guy?

I'd have to dig around in the event files for specifics (I may do that in a bit), but you don't start getting bad events until well below 50 RT. At low enough RT you get bad events that tank it further so you don't want to go too far, but I try and keep it above 70. The only significant hurt from lowering RT is Stability costs quite a bit, otherwise there are no real penalties. Thankfully you don't take Stab hits on leader succession or dying in battle, so always make your leader a general pretty much.

You can't get a 7/3/3 guy, best is 6 in any stat. Re-electing more than twice (once to 5/2/2 and again to 6/3/3) has pretty bad returns obviously.

What I like to do is re-elect twice for maximum monarch points, then elect someone new. Is he young and a good general? Maybe keep him around. If he's old and/or a lovely general, probably toss him after one term and save up some RT.

It's worth noting that Power Projection gives you +yearly RT, 0.1 per every 20 PP. So not tons, but it definitely adds up. Privateer and embargo the gently caress out of your rivals, it's a better use of light ships than protecting trade.

Edit: see if you can maintain 40 PP, that's 0.2 RT per year which is the same as the policies you can get and very significant. 50 would be even better for +1 each MP but that's hard to maintain. You get:

+15 for 3 long-term rivals
up to +10 privateering each rival
a handful of points for embargoes

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 14, 2015

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Whorelord posted:

Why is it that I can release a vassal and they can have a completely different religion than my own nation and the provinces that they'll get?

Dumb feature imo

You can convert them to your religion with your subject interaction.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.
Whoever was saying that the Ireland achievement would be tougher this time around:

England helped me consolidate all of Ireland with the exception of Meath in about the first 5 years. Then they had some rebel troubles and a war with France so I jumped on them with Scotland, made Wales a vassal, and took Meath. After that it was pretty simple to consolidate the rest, especially with my 6/5/5 god king who lived to the ripe old age of 70. I've been trying to get an Ireland game going forever and this time it actually all worked out.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
What's the warscore cost of the religious league peace? I'm putting off starting the war since getting 100% would be a nightmare but I could probably blitz an early 40 much more easily

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

OddObserver posted:

Who was the Emperor? Austria's still free and I don't think I've ever seen anyone else pass all the reforms.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Well, having got the expansion, I just have to say the way war is waged now is HELL on manpower. I'm playing Muscovy and I'm constantly at 0, despite being Russia. Also having had admin focus all game, I'm still not really keeping up. I cannot imagine playing a nation not named Muscovy with current manpower requirements. The Westernization decision was a joke to accomplish however, so that's great.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Would forming the Philippine trading company be worth it as Russia (I've colonized all of Siberia and own most of the land in Girin)? Assuming I have all the provinces in the trade node and would (if I understand the mechanic right) get an extra merchant out of it which I could use to collect from there? Or is it just too out of the way and not worth it since I don't have enough merchants to re-route it all the way around/through India and into my main node in Novgorod?

Eimi posted:

Well, having got the expansion, I just have to say the way war is waged now is HELL on manpower. I'm playing Muscovy and I'm constantly at 0, despite being Russia. Also having had admin focus all game, I'm still not really keeping up. I cannot imagine playing a nation not named Muscovy with current manpower requirements.

fwiw I had the same manpower issue as Russia, but it stops being an actual issue after you get out of the early game. I've only seen a few major nations run out of manpower in my game so far (in 1645) and it was after pretty major, prolonged conflicts.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

VDay posted:

fwiw I had the same manpower issue as Russia, but it stops being an actual issue after you get out of the early game. I've only seen a few major nations run out of manpower in my game so far (in 1645) and it was after pretty major, prolonged conflicts.

Huh, its nearly 1600 and I'm still at 0 after a large war with the Ottomons. Do you just spam barracks everywhere? I've only been building them when they give me 500~ manpower or more. Also did you go Quantity? I went Defensive for my first mil idea.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?

Pellisworth posted:

I'd have to dig around in the event files for specifics (I may do that in a bit), but you don't start getting bad events until well below 50 RT. At low enough RT you get bad events that tank it further so you don't want to go too far, but I try and keep it above 70. The only significant hurt from lowering RT is Stability costs quite a bit, otherwise there are no real penalties. Thankfully you don't take Stab hits on leader succession or dying in battle, so always make your leader a general pretty much.

You can't get a 7/3/3 guy, best is 6 in any stat. Re-electing more than twice (once to 5/2/2 and again to 6/3/3) has pretty bad returns obviously.

This isn't obvious, and is often wrong. You can't see that your reelected guy is going to just be 6/4/4 instead of 7/4/4 and think about that 'lost' 1 point per month. Instead, you should compare the 6/4/4 guy and his tradition cost to the 4/1/1 replacement. If you're in the kind of situation where you can fruitfully use all those extra monarch points each month, and you don't have a dangerously low tradition (I'll let mine dip into the 40s for a good ruler), then it can often be the right choice to reelect for the third time. Every time I've reelected for the fourth time, though, even with a relatively young ruler, he's died in like a month.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Eimi posted:

Well, having got the expansion, I just have to say the way war is waged now is HELL on manpower. I'm playing Muscovy and I'm constantly at 0, despite being Russia. Also having had admin focus all game, I'm still not really keeping up. I cannot imagine playing a nation not named Muscovy with current manpower requirements.

Manpower is overall much lower then before. After consolidating india in my 1.11 nagaur game I had ~525k manpower and in my 1.12 ceylon game I own the same land but only have 235k manpower. After culturally enriching all of india and using mil on manpower improvements I managed to get that to 300k+ but thats still way less then in 1.11.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Pellisworth posted:

It's worth noting that Power Projection gives you +yearly RT, 0.1 per every 20 PP. So not tons, but it definitely adds up. Privateer and embargo the gently caress out of your rivals, it's a better use of light ships than protecting trade.

Edit: see if you can maintain 40 PP, that's 0.2 RT per year which is the same as the policies you can get and very significant. 50 would be even better for +1 each MP but that's hard to maintain. You get:

+15 for 3 long-term rivals
up to +10 privateering each rival
a handful of points for embargoes

I've had this game since it came out and I'm still not sure how it comes up with the trade numbers beyond "redirect trade to you, build poo poo that gives you more trade power, and privateer people you don't like." I've got a ton of light ships being the Hansa.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I had trouble turning trade to my advantage in my England game, because literally everything already flows straight to you. I would keep looking around and around for some trade to redirect only to find that they all came to me in the end regardless. English Channel is a bit overpowered as a trade node.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Re: RT, generally you want to keep reelecting people until you're between 40 and 50 RT since that's the threshold for a sweet event which lets you trade 1 stability for 20 RT, but don't go below 40 since then you get a republican dictatorship.

This fucks with your stability a bit but you'll have such a huge MP income that it doesn't matter.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Eimi posted:

Huh, its nearly 1600 and I'm still at 0 after a large war with the Ottomons. Do you just spam barracks everywhere? I've only been building them when they give me 500~ manpower or more. Also did you go Quantity? I went Defensive for my first mil idea.

I took Offensive as my first mil idea (2nd overall) and haven't built anything for manpower. Even without any of that I have ~200K max manpower and recover like 2k per month. Are you fighting a lot in Europe? The main thing I did to fix my early game manpower woes was to rest up for a few years and let my manpower (almost) fully recover, and then go swallow up a bunch of cheap/easy-to-take territory out east. Those lovely provinces don't add much, but manpower recovery is partly based on max manpower so adding a couple dozen provinces that each add like 250 to your total manpower adds up quick.

The only thing that's really hurt my manpower in my game was when I forgot that severe winters are A Thing and was losing a bunch of men every year because I had 20k stacks of troops stationed in provinces that dropped below 20 supply limit during winters. But yeah I'd say main thing is to let manpower fully recover at least once if you haven't done that, and maybe rush ideas until you get the third national one (+20% manpower recovery) if you haven't gotten it yet.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

VDay posted:

I took Offensive as my first mil idea (2nd overall) and haven't built anything for manpower. Even without any of that I have ~200K max manpower and recover like 2k per month. Are you fighting a lot in Europe? The main thing I did to fix my early game manpower woes was to rest up for a few years and let my manpower (almost) fully recover, and then go swallow up a bunch of cheap/easy-to-take territory out east. Those lovely provinces don't add much, but manpower recovery is partly based on max manpower so adding a couple dozen provinces that each add like 250 to your total manpower adds up quick.

The only thing that's really hurt my manpower in my game was when I forgot that severe winters are A Thing and was losing a bunch of men every year because I had 20k stacks of troops stationed in provinces that dropped below 20 supply limit during winters. But yeah I'd say main thing is to let manpower fully recover at least once if you haven't done that, and maybe rush ideas until you get the third national one (+20% manpower recovery) if you haven't gotten it yet.

Ah that'd probably be the difference. I've mostly ignored the Hordes to beat up on Sweeden, Lithuania, and the Ottomans. Still that's a lot of manpower with no buildings. I'm only at 154k max with many many mp buildings.

One thing I will say is awesome is culture converting as Russia with Religious and the general changes to cost is hilariously easy. Its often half as the cost of increasing dev.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

OddObserver posted:

(Aragon was my buddy, but I had nothing to do with that Lithuania, especially since they were
rivals with my other buds in Austria[-Hungary]).

France actually still exists, with a capital of... Manila!
The Netherlands are in the cape.
Also that Portugal was at one point Revolutionary Portugal --- and Absolute Monarchy vassal of Galicia.
The counter-revolutionary CB is kinda wonky in that case: you have to break the vassalization first.
Assuming I am the odd one out and the thread generally plays with lucky nations, all these awesome maps lead me to a nearly baseless theory that maybe all these new systems in the expansion slightly reduce the impact of lucky nation modifiers because a lot of these look like the sort of sillyness I had come to expect from lucky nations turned off.

• Locked thread