Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

U.T. Raptor posted:

Are these new female generics, or the same ones already in SW4? Because that game had a surprising number of generic female officers (several of whom sounded like badasses from their chronicle bios, and I hope are promoted to full characters in the future).

There are 100 Female generics "added" to SW4 Empires. Whether or not that is on top of the ones already in SW4 is up to interpretation...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Got DW8 Empires, thanks Steam Sale! Gonna take over so much china.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Having also just gotten DW8:E, I can confirm what was said a long time ago in the thread that if you're familiar with Warriors games you should just start on Hard.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yyyep. Though playing on easy with the horse that doesn't stop when you run into enemies is kinda relaxing.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
I just bought Orochi 3 Ultimate and mostly agree on the difficulty....except for when you steamroll a stage, hit the boss who immediately goes into a Musou attack and kills you. Then I swear and scale down the difficulty.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Gimnbo posted:

Having also just gotten DW8:E, I can confirm what was said a long time ago in the thread that if you're familiar with Warriors games you should just start on Hard.

The only problem with hard is that you hit the point where enemies have way too much hp for your weapons a lot sooner than you do on easy. It's not much of a problem once you've won a game and can unlock weapons with your bonus points, but it would make your first game fairly tedious if you let it drag on too long.

These days I just unlock all weapons, but only switch to a better one once it feels like enemies die too slow. It keeps things more interesting without needing me to grind quests if I don't want to.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Bought DW8 empires on a whim, my lady conqueror has taken over the entire north half so far and I've done it all with a sleeping cat on my head. :3:

I also apparently fought and won a battle whole 8 months pregnant, loving hardcore. :stare:

My only regret is that I married the generic that proposed to me when I could have married Zhao Yun, oh well least we're besties now.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

I just bought Orochi 3 Ultimate and mostly agree on the difficulty....except for when you steamroll a stage, hit the boss who immediately goes into a Musou attack and kills you. Then I swear and scale down the difficulty.

Orochi 3 is way, way harder than Empires. You may be a super powerful demigod, but you still die super fast.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Alteisen posted:

My only regret is that I married the generic that proposed to me when I could have married Zhao Yun, oh well least we're besties now.

Zhao Yun isn't even, like, the 20th most interesting character in Dynasty Warriors.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Maleketh posted:

Zhao Yun isn't even, like, the 20th most interesting character in Dynasty Warriors.

That still puts him above most generics.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Alteisen posted:

I also apparently fought and won a battle whole 8 months pregnant, loving hardcore. :stare:

Well, your child can age to adulthood in just like two or three years at the most, so clearly the biology of ancient Han Chinese was different from the modern day

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Raserys posted:

Well, your child can age to adulthood in just like two or three years at the most, so clearly the biology of ancient Han Chinese was different from the modern day

This does explain how the average death toll per skirmish manages to be in the low thousands.

I'm glad Sima Zhao's ridiculous ghost sword is still in the game. It's like it was made for me. :allears:

Anyone had an issue with the game being stuck at super low-res? No matter what I do the textures are always absurdly muddy, worse then any screenshot I've seen for the game. Brand new computer, up to date drivers, weirdest thing.

Also is there a consistent way to force your CaCs to run into each other in Empire mode? My little gang of power rangers needs to meet up and cause a little trouble in big china. So far the only one I've seen aside from the one I started with was as a Tiger-Bro bandit, and he vanished forever after one appearance.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Cuchulain posted:

Anyone had an issue with the game being stuck at super low-res? No matter what I do the textures are always absurdly muddy, worse then any screenshot I've seen for the game. Brand new computer, up to date drivers, weirdest thing.

There's a config option if you start the game from inside the steam client.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

AzraelNewtype posted:

Orochi 3 is way, way harder than Empires. You may be a super powerful demigod, but you still die super fast.

Yeah, after playing Orochi 3 I played some DW7: Empires and found the battles super boring. There just isn't the same "intensity" in none-Orochi games. Give me Orochi Empires, Gauntlet Mode isn't enough I want it all!

Gimnbo posted:

That still puts him above most generics.

Not Shamoke :colbert:

Cuchulain posted:

This does explain how the average death toll per skirmish manages to be in the low thousands.
:stonk:
No one dies in Dynasty Warriors! That's a KO count! They are just knocked out :shobon:

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jun 14, 2015

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I executed like a dozen identical fuckers called ZERO or something close to that, they're sure gone for good.

It's ok, customs aren't real people. :coffeepal:

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Cuchulain posted:

Also is there a consistent way to force your CaCs to run into each other in Empire mode? My little gang of power rangers needs to meet up and cause a little trouble in big china. So far the only one I've seen aside from the one I started with was as a Tiger-Bro bandit, and he vanished forever after one appearance.

Set them up as a Unit and they'll appear as vagabond units and kingdoms with the members you specify.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Has Koei ever released a Warriors that has an automatic checkpoint system? I just got Samurai Warriors 4, and for all of its massive improvements, they still forgot checkpoints. At least you keep items and experience if you fail a stage.

VVVVVV Yeah, you're right. Hyrule did do it in story mode.

Orb Crabmelt fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 14, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hyrule Warriors does I think. One reason why they might not think it's a good idea is that it is occasionally possible to checkpoint yourself in to an unwinable situation that way, although that's less likely with Warriors games nowadays.

Roshambo
Jan 18, 2010
Is Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires enough better than XL that I should consider spending $10 more on the newer game?

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Roshambo posted:

Is Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires enough better than XL that I should consider spending $10 more on the newer game?

XL has more in terms of sheer amount of content (story, etc.) and is probably better for first time players, but its Ambition mode is basically a very simplified version of Empires with no custom officers. Personally, I think Empires is worthwhile just to give the game a more strategic scope even with the same basic DW mechanics at its core. And, yes, to run around and conquer China with your own weird set of characters.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
If you want a story mode then you want XL. There is no story or missions in Empires. It's basically a free-for-all alt-history "strategy" game.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Sakurazuka posted:

Hyrule Warriors does I think. One reason why they might not think it's a good idea is that it is occasionally possible to checkpoint yourself in to an unwinable situation that way, although that's less likely with Warriors games nowadays.

Only in story mode, too. Which is like maybe 10% of the game.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I would like to submit WO3U's Battle of Itsukishima as a contender for the shittiest stage in the entire franchise.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Pureauthor posted:

I would like to submit WO3U's Battle of Itsukishima as a contender for the shittiest stage in the entire franchise.

Which sucks, because the same stage in WO2 is awesome. The Dream Mode mission with it is one of the best ones in the series.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Takoluka posted:

Which sucks, because the same stage in WO2 is awesome. The Dream Mode mission with it is one of the best ones in the series.

What battle is that again?

Also, SW4's dashing is sorely missed in every other game, and I wish there were a PC version of it.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

SirPhoebos posted:

What battle is that again?

You play as Zhao Yun, Yukimura Sanada, and Yoshihiro Shimazu. You basically circle up to save Liu Bei, and when you get back to the bottom, Lu Bu and Tadakatsu Honda are waiting for you together. On Chaos, it is one of the most fun fights in the Orochi games.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Takoluka posted:

You play as Zhao Yun, Yukimura Sanada, and Yoshihiro Shimazu. You basically circle up to save Liu Bei, and when you get back to the bottom, Lu Bu and Tadakatsu Honda are waiting for you together. On Chaos, it is one of the most fun fights in the Orochi games.

Oh yeah, I remember that one.

The WO2 dream missions were really well made, which almost makes up for how much of a pain they were to unlock.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Toukiden Kiwami just unlocked on steam a little while ago.

I hope this PC port is merely mediocre and not hot garbage. I already know there's no way it'll replace MonHun for me, but so few of my friends have 3DSes and all of them have Steam and are big on Musou. I just hope it's good enough with buddy co-op.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Early reviews aren't looking good. Locked to 30, if you can get it to even stay stable there.

Sounds familiar.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You can't go to the village and do things like mess with your equipment if you're in a multiplayer lobby.

This is a pretty glaring oversight.

EDIT: Oh, you can mess with your equipment to a degree from the weapon racks, you just can't craft anything.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Bunch of Koei games are discounted on EU PSN.

Bladestorm is half off, I wanna get it, is it worth it?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hakkesshu posted:

It's a weird game to recommend because it's kind of not great but I like it anyway? I picked it up for that price but I knew what I was getting in to.
The closest thing I can liken it to is the old Xbox Kingdom Under Fire games only with none of the Musou type stuff, just taking over squads and light strategy. It's not nearly as difficult or complex as those games could get though.

e: it's basically an RTS only instead of an omnipotent cursor you play a dude or dudette running around the battlefield grabbing squads and a good portion of the strategy involves the rock, paper, scissors relationship between various weapon types. If that sounds appealing you'll probably like it, though it can get repetitive, not as badly as the original version though.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jun 26, 2015

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hakkesshu posted:

Joan of Arc is more interesting to play as in Warrior Orochi 3, I recommend getting that one if its on sale as well :getin:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

After putting some proper time into Toukiden, I find that concerns (most of which came from the Monster Hunter thread) that this game would play "like a Musou game pretending to be MonHun" aren't exactly fair. Overall it does, however, feel basically like an easier and more casual friendly Monster Hunter. Not sure how I feel about that as someone who really, really likes the deceptively simple depth of the MH series compared to other hunting-genre games, but I'm a lot more confident I can get my friends into this without them feeling too frustrated. More than any other game in this genre, it really does deserve to be called a clone. And even then it's very different, for better or worse.

There's no real "big hits" weapon type though, which means there's no real option that matches the moment-to-moment playstyle of the MH Greatsword or even the Hammer. Those weapons that do feature charge-up mechanics don't usually encourage them. Except for the Rifle, amusingly, which is otherwise basically a heavy bowgun.

Also amusingly, Toukiden has a limit break mechanic. This wouldn't be a remarkable feature if it weren't uncommon among hunting games. And with MHX in development, it looks like the Monster Hunter series will be incorporating them, too.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Toukiden doesn't have any story, right?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yup, it does. It's not as intrusive as Freedom Wars but it's definitely there.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Toukiden Kiwami and Bladestorm are on sale at ShopTo.net for cheaper than the EU PSN sale if you're in the UK.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
So I'm looking at getting Samurai Warriors 4, is the Vita port exceptionally garbage like the DW8XL port was?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Elliotw2 posted:

So I'm looking at getting Samurai Warriors 4, is the Vita port exceptionally garbage like the DW8XL port was?

SW4 port is fine. Has a few frame rate problems (that don't interfere), but it is 100% playable and enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Apparently the Tokiden steam is the worst Koei port yet by far. And it's the vita port, not the PS4. How do you gently caress up so bad when your DW games work perfectly smooth.