Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

kitten smoothie posted:

I like my updates to receive extensive testing, unlike this nearly 2-week old issue in Cyanogen that keeps you from being able to dial 911

I actually looked through the affected device reports, going years back.

Spoiler alert: Samsunged!, and quite possibly an Exynos exclusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is it hearing you correctly and just not processing it correctly?

i thought it was but after i "ok google now" and say "set a reminder" it will pull up the set a reminder page....half the time. it computes the same text each time in the search bar. just sometimes it pulls up the reminders, the others it pulls up a google search. its infuriating, because it only fucks up when I need it not to---like when i'm driving.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Moto Voice is kind of flaky. Like, often when I tell it "play SONG by ARTIST" it happily launches YouTube instead of Play Music. This is not very useful in the car, which it the main place I want to use Moto Voice. When I use Google's built-in voice stuff, though, it always gets it right.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
also, whats a good messaging app? the stock one on my turbo redraws everytime i open it and takes minutes to load text message threads, even ones not that long. hangouts crashes every few minutes and sometimes, when opening a texts thread, will jump to the first text instead of the last text....in threads several hundred messages long.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

I just use Google Messenger. There's others; someone will probably recommend something that fits a valid definition of better.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Google Messenger is great, if you want more settings to play around with Textra is pretty good.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Mogomra posted:

Does the CM bug preventing people from dialing emergency numbers affect the one plus one running Cyanogen OS too? Or is that just Cyanogen Mod?

kitten smoothie posted:

I like my updates to receive extensive testing, unlike this nearly 2-week old issue in Cyanogen that keeps you from being able to dial 911

halokiller posted:

Man, I used to be one of those weirdos who would try whatever flavor of the month ROM is on XDA. Never again.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

For what it's worth I just tested and confirmed 911 dialing is working correctly from my OnePlus One using CyanogenMod 12.1-20150608. This ROM from XDA specifically. Testing was pretty easy, I just called the police non-emergency number and asked if I needed to schedule a test call, they just said to go ahead and call then, I did and it worked. They said the call came through like any other cellphone call.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Bob A Feet posted:

i thought it was but after i "ok google now" and say "set a reminder" it will pull up the set a reminder page....half the time. it computes the same text each time in the search bar. just sometimes it pulls up the reminders, the others it pulls up a google search. its infuriating, because it only fucks up when I need it not to---like when i'm driving.

Its a google now bug. https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/websearch/vu0eMzw83MU

I experienced the bug on a moto x for a bit but it went away

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Now that you say Samsung I want to say there was a similar issue a few years ago with third party ROMs on either the original Galaxy S or S2, but maybe it's the same one and was never quite fixed. I recall a coworker of mine a few years ago that he reverted to stock after finding out from a forum thread dialing 911 didn't work right.

Seems like a hard feature to be able to "test." If you're an actual legit cell phone manufacturer you're going to have access to enough fake infrastructure in isolation to be able to simulate an end-to-end emergency call scenario and verify the device's ability to handle it. Some CM committer hacking in their basement can't really do that.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Bob A Feet posted:

also, whats a good messaging app? the stock one on my turbo redraws everytime i open it and takes minutes to load text message threads, even ones not that long. hangouts crashes every few minutes and sometimes, when opening a texts thread, will jump to the first text instead of the last text....in threads several hundred messages long.

Textra supremacy

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
So I broke my N4 screen and it no longer responds to any screen input. Is there any way to get data off it through ADB if it was encrypted?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

annapacketstormaya posted:

So I broke my N4 screen and it no longer responds to any screen input. Is there any way to get data off it through ADB if it was encrypted?

Do you have a USB OTG cable and a USB mouse spare?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
I have a rooted Samsung Galaxy Note 3. I want to update the Android version, but the automatic update won't work because it says the system has been modified. How does one go about updating rooted phone? :(

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="446524507"]
Zenfone 2, Z3c with student discount, Lg G2/3. What network are you on, and exactly how decent of a camera would you like?

It's for a friend who is going to Brazil and needs something more durable than the Sony xerpia compact - he got it a few months ago and he's broken the glass back twice. He also wants a micro sd slot.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Kingtheninja posted:

My wife has an S4 (for about 8 months now) and it's gone kind of crazy in the past few weeks. Her gallery doesn't load properly, photos either appear corrupted or not at all. Sometimes the numbers on her display are just dots, and now the phone is restarting itself periodically.

We took it to our carrier and they said it was something wrong with the lollipop update and all we could do is just wait for an update to fix it. That seems like a pretty lazy answer, so I'm wondering if there's anything else to be done or another explanation for the problems she's having.

I would try factory resetting it. If that doesn't fix it, I'd wager hardware issues. I have an S4 and ran CM lollipop without any of those problems. I reverted to KitKat mostly because of the run of the mill Bluetooth bugs in their nightlies.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Non Serviam posted:

I have a rooted Samsung Galaxy Note 3. I want to update the Android version, but the automatic update won't work because it says the system has been modified. How does one go about updating rooted phone? :(

Step 1: Post in the rooted thread

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

I hope I'm posting in the right place. I have a galaxy s4 that I'm about to take overseas with me. I looked into unlocking it so I could throw a different sim card in it when I arrived, and all the videos start with pushing a button combination on the dialer (like *#0011#) when I try these nothing happens. Did something change with the newest update?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Try putting a diff sim in and see if it just asks for the unlock code

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Beast Pussy posted:

I hope I'm posting in the right place. I have a galaxy s4 that I'm about to take overseas with me. I looked into unlocking it so I could throw a different sim card in it when I arrived, and all the videos start with pushing a button combination on the dialer (like *#0011#) when I try these nothing happens. Did something change with the newest update?

The first google result I got was:

1. Figure out if your phone will work on your new carrier.
2. Dig up your IMEI number.
3. Call your carrier for an unlock code, or buy one from a third party.
4. Swap SIM cards or punch in the dial code, and type your unlock code into your phone.

Full article: http://www.androidcentral.com/how-and-why-unlock-samsung-galaxy-s4

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

ElrondHubbard posted:

The first google result I got was:

1. Figure out if your phone will work on your new carrier.
2. Dig up your IMEI number.
3. Call your carrier for an unlock code, or buy one from a third party.
4. Swap SIM cards or punch in the dial code, and type your unlock code into your phone.

Full article: http://www.androidcentral.com/how-and-why-unlock-samsung-galaxy-s4

Thanks. I got overwhelmed by watching videos and forgot how to read for a second.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hey all. I've got a weird problem.

I'm using an Xperia Z3 Compact. It looks like my screen never completely shuts off. It'll be black, but kinda glowing as if it's a screen on standby. It doesn't seem to be eating my battery or anything, but I can't help but wonder if it's burning the screen after so long or whatever.

Anybody have any ideas?

potentiometer
Dec 31, 2006

Super Aggro Crag posted:

So I've had the Galaxy S6 for two weeks now. About an hour ago the screen stopped rotating. I can't get it to flip horizontal. What gives?

This same thing happened to me after I dropped the first N6 I owned, turns out the accelerometer was busted, you can check it with an app called Into Accelerometer(or any of a dozen alternatives)

Edit/ https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.intomethod.accelerometer&hl=en

potentiometer fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jun 15, 2015

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I recently updated my Galaxy S4 to Android 5 (Samsungs version)

In version 4 when i for example insert my headphones i could swipe from the top of the screen and down and get a list of apps to use with headphones, easily letting me start spotify. This feature is gone, how do i get it back? I tried various googling for "recommended apps gone in android lollipop" but did not find anything useful.

When setting up an alarm in android 4 it would tell me how long it was until the alarm rang right there in the alarm interface, but in android 5 i need to save the alarm and go back to the clock menu before it (briefly) tells you the time until it rings in a pop-up. How do i get back so that it shows how long it is until the alarm rings right there in the alarm configurer?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Hammer Floyd posted:

I'm using an Xperia Z3 Compact. It looks like my screen never completely shuts off. It'll be black, but kinda glowing as if it's a screen on standby. It doesn't seem to be eating my battery or anything, but I can't help but wonder if it's burning the screen after so long or whatever.

Anybody have any ideas?
Just to confirm, do you see light from the screen if you are in a completely dark room, like a bathroom with the door shut and lights off? If you do, then that means the backlight is still on and there is a problem. If not, then it is off and you are fine.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Uh... so the current lockscreen, how do I prevent people from being able to pull down the notifications bar and access the quick toggles for data, wifi etc.? I can't find any settings to block this functionality, and it basically means if the phone's stolen someone can cut off service and prevent me from using Prey.
It's an HTC One m8.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Alereon posted:

Just to confirm, do you see light from the screen if you are in a completely dark room, like a bathroom with the door shut and lights off? If you do, then that means the backlight is still on and there is a problem. If not, then it is off and you are fine.

Aha! That'd be the problem. I turned the phone on\off and it's fixed it for now, but if it comes back, what should I do to fix it?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hammer Floyd posted:

Aha! That'd be the problem. I turned the phone on\off and it's fixed it for now, but if it comes back, what should I do to fix it?

Apparently you turn the phone off and on.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The 5.1.1 update is out for Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge owners on T-Mobile.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Is this the first time ever a american carrier branded phone has been up to date?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Guess I spoke too soon about Motorola support being good. So, they sent me a Global GSM model of the 2nd Gen Moto G when I sent in my US GSM model. I ask them to send me the proper device, and I go through 3 different people just to confirm another advanced replacement. I finalize it, then get an email about an hour later saying they're going to charge me a non-refundable $25 premium fee because I requested another device when they sent me the wrong device. gently caress off, Motorola.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Skeezy posted:

The 5.1.1 update is out for Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge owners on T-Mobile.

gently caress you Verizonnnn

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

vyst posted:

gently caress you Verizonnnn

Apparently there are still stupid poo poo like, tmobile one cant disable sfinder and quick connect while international can.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Ineptitude posted:

I recently updated my Galaxy S4 to Android 5 (Samsungs version)

In version 4 when i for example insert my headphones i could swipe from the top of the screen and down and get a list of apps to use with headphones, easily letting me start spotify. This feature is gone, how do i get it back? I tried various googling for "recommended apps gone in android lollipop" but did not find anything useful.

When setting up an alarm in android 4 it would tell me how long it was until the alarm rang right there in the alarm interface, but in android 5 i need to save the alarm and go back to the clock menu before it (briefly) tells you the time until it rings in a pop-up. How do i get back so that it shows how long it is until the alarm rings right there in the alarm configurer?

Samsung. You see, they crank out features on top of stock android at such a pace they can't be bothered to redevelop them and port them to the next version.

When people ask why they aren't getting upgrades to the newest android version I'm going to direct them to this post.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Tmobile is the least worst US provider as far as phone customizations but if you are paying full price anyway just buy the international model

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Don Lapre posted:

Apparently there are still stupid poo poo like, tmobile one cant disable sfinder and quick connect while international can.

Wife got 5.1.1 and I was able to disable those options in the pulldown.

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005
I've been out of the android loop since my nexus 5 has been working well for the last couple of years.

Finally the battery life on my nexus 5 has gotten poor. I replaced the battery but those cheap replacement batteries are terrible.

Anyways I'm down to get a new phone but wanted to check in here first

I'm in Canada on bell. I have no problem buying a phone outright if that's the best solution.

Get a Sony z3c because of the battery life?

Wait for the next generation nexus phones and hope they have a smaller than a nexus 6 model?

Wait for a Sony z4compact to be announced?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, gently caress. Got my new Moto X, and it's a Verizon too. I'm going to return it based on the fact that a half dozen of the questions on the page were asking what model it was with the reply of XT1053. And the only question about it being an XT1053 where the answer was no went "It's not an XT1053, it's a Moto X."

But now I need to find a new phone again. Someone said if you're a student you can get the Z3C for about $300, does anyone know where that is?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Motorola knocked another $50 off the 2014 Moto X today with a rebate. So, that means the no-contract 16gb model is $349-$50 which makes it $299 after rebate (you get the rebate after you keep it 30 days).

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That's kind of tempting, but an LG G3 is too big for me, so I'm concerned the 2014 X would be as well. It's not a tight pants thing, it's a pockets are 6" deep thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I never use GChat but have been using Hangouts on my Nexus 5 for SMS / MMS since I've had the phone. I just learned that Google has an app called Messenger that is more SMS centric.... should I make the jump?