Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It's not like Fallout 1 had much in the way of answering what people ate or drank either. Well, besides human meat shipped to Bob in the Hub which was then shipped all over, seemingly but that begs the question of how did the meat get so well preserved during those journeys?

The answer of course, being that it's a goddamn video game you spergs.

Fallout 3 has problems where settlements stretch your disbelief, like intentionally building a town around an unexploded nuclear bomb and Little Lamplight in general, but the food argument is completely overblown. What do wastelanders eat? The eat meat, cave fungus and whatever they can scavenge out in the wastes from the various mutated wildlife.

One of the first quests you solve in Fallout 1 is helping a community figure out crop rotation...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

Backwards review scores? What do you mean? Both 3 and NV got perfectly reasonable scores. Maybe NV got dinged a bit since it had to follow 3, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

New Vegas is way better than 3 and thus should've had a much higher review score (I played the hell out of FO3 when it came out though).

MisterBibs posted:

Being both commercially and critically successful says a whole bunch about a game's quality, actually.

It really really doesn't and that goes for any form of media (Jurassic World is utter garbage and just set the global record for weekend box office or something).

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Groovelord Neato posted:

New Vegas is way better than 3 and thus should've had a much higher review score (I played the hell out of FO3 when it came out though).
reminder that any degree of difficulty is "bad game design" to MisterBibs because the concept of running towards a deathclaw and rapidly clicking at it with a shovel is supposed to work 100% of the time

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

RE: Food

Isn't the vast majority of food you find in Fallout games canned/preserved food from the pre-war era?

I always assumed that there was a massive abundance of food made possible with automation (e.g. robots), but then the bombs fell and the tiny remainder of the population now has enough food to basically last them forever. It's all expired and irradiated but that probably doesn't matter when people are fighting radscorpions and giant roaches.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I played and enjoyed Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim(with the recognition that the story, writing, and characters in all but Morrowind were extremely poor).

I played and enjoyed Fallout 1, 2, Tactics, and New Vegas.

But Fallout 3 was still a game that I found lacking. Bethesda CAN make a game world with verisimilitude, as evidenced by The Elder Scrolls. But I think Fallout 3 suffered from being Bethesda's first crack at the franchise. This is why you see utterly nonsensical parts(Megaton; Little Lamplight; Republic of Dave; Bigtown; really everything except MAYBE Rivet City) so they cargo culted the most obvious parts of the previous games. Whereas the 50's motif was limited to the intro cut scenes and general aesthetic sense in the first Fallouts, it shoved in the player's face in neon lights in Fallout 3. Harold and the Brotherhood of Steel are forced into the story for no logical reason. The GECK becomes a miracle replicator rather than a set of seeds and farm implements. Etc, etc, etc.

So with all that, I'm excited about Fallout 4. Bethesda has had some time to work with the series, and New Vegas has come out since. Bethesda has shown that it recognized some good ideas from New Vegas in Skyrim(although they weren't as well executed) so I hope and expect we'll see further importation of ideas into Fallout 4.

And I can understand how someone could defend Fallout 3 as a fun run around and shoot stuff game. But I don't understand how someone could defend its story or setting. Precisely because its legacy is not Doom and Quake but Fallout and the Elder Scrolls.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
kill a radscorpion and you got enough meat to last a week and there's literally an infinite amount of radscorpions in this fictional videogame world

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Zzulu posted:

kill a radscorpion and you got enough meat to last a week and there's literally an infinite amount of radscorpions in this fictional videogame world

mmm scorpion meat

tastes just like chicken

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance
Is there supposed to be new info out today?

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009

boneration posted:

Bethesda is doing an E3 presentation at 9 PM EST tonight, hopefully we'll get more info then. If not tonight, probably some time this week.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Sole Survivor posted:

Bethesda is doing an E3 presentation at 9 PM EST tonight, hopefully we'll get more info then. If not tonight, probably some time this week.

Good old timezones: guess I'll watch all the stuff tomorrow morning: please don't be bad Bethesda, that would be really cool if you managed to do something good.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

New Vegas got the scores it deserved, as did Fallout 3. Just because it was made by the folks that buried the series doesn't mean it's a better game.

Groovelord Neato posted:

It really really doesn't and that goes for any form of media (Jurassic World is utter garbage and just set the global record for weekend box office or something).

JW is awesome and I can't think of any film this year that deserves the success it's getting more. (You're prolly going to say Mad Max, but I'd prefer movies with more dimension than a Fallout 1 sprite...)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

New Vegas got the scores it deserved, as did Fallout 3. Just because it was made by the folks that buried the series doesn't mean it's a better game.

It's the better game because it does literally everything better than Fallout 3.

Edit: what kind of a colossal idiot likes Jurassic world more than Mad Max

Andrast fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 14, 2015

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

MisterBibs posted:

JW is awesome and I can't think of any film this year that deserves the success it's getting more. (You're prolly going to say Mad Max, but I'd prefer movies with more dimension than a Fallout 1 sprite...)

:psyduck: how can you be this thick

how

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

Just because it was made by the folks that buried the series doesn't mean it's a better game.

It is way better though.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

Black Isle/Obsidian didn't bury the series, Interplay did because they were loving stupid. Secondly, Jurassic World is dumb fun but you can't seriously say it has more depth to it than the new Mad Max movie which people have written dissertations on about various aspects, including a feminist critique to name a few.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
i wish fallout never turned into a lovely fps

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I don't mind it. Personally the point of view in games like these don't matter much to me

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

dangerdoom volvo posted:

i wish fallout never turned into a lovely fps

im actually glad of it

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

prometheusbound2 posted:

And I can understand how someone could defend Fallout 3 as a fun run around and shoot stuff game. But I don't understand how someone could defend its story or setting. Precisely because its legacy is not Doom and Quake but Fallout and the Elder Scrolls.

I can't understand how someone could defend Fallout 3 as a fun run around and shoot stuff game, because that surely means comparing it with stuff like Doom and Quake.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

Only someone who's never seen Jurassic Park could be this stupid and wrong.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
jurassic world as an abortion compared to jurassic park

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

This movie has depth

*has a guy using trained raptors, also they invent a new superdinosaur cause lord knows people would get sick of the real ones*

Jurassic World is the FO3 of movies.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I just made the mistake of explaining Little Lamplight (or "The Problem of Little Lamplight", as I presented it) to my friends and loved ones and blood began to shoot from their ears and eyes and now I'm all alone, just like the prisoner washing up on the shores of Morrowind.

The same thing almost happened to me, luckily I have no friends or loved ones.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Eonwe posted:

im actually glad of it

I'm sort of mixed on it, but I enjoyed the new Fallout games for what they were, and them being turned into FPS/RPG hybrids probably meant better sales.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I hope we get a voiced protagonist like the trailers hinted at, it's kinda tiring having a mute one through all the series

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
when i heard there was a superdinosaur in jurassic world i was already mentally done with it

i knew what kind of movie it would be where they assumed that a magical park full of dinosaurs running around escaping wasnt an interesting enough hook for audience

if your view of the audience is so low that you have to be like 'well yea dinosaurs are ok but what if we made a SUPER DINOSAUR' then its baby poo poo meant for 5 year olds

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

when i heard there was a superdinosaur in jurassic world i was already mentally done with it

i knew what kind of movie it would be where they assumed that a magical park full of dinosaurs running around escaping wasnt an interesting enough hook for audience

if your view of the audience is so low that you have to be like 'well yea dinosaurs are ok but what if we made a SUPER DINOSAUR' then its baby poo poo meant for 5 year olds

kind of like when they introduced an asthmatic robot in star wars who used 6 lightsabers

like jedi and robots are already cool you don't have to do some weird lovely mashup

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

frajaq posted:

I hope we get a voiced protagonist like the trailers hinted at, it's kinda tiring having a mute one through all the series

lol at Bethesda making a compelling/interesting voiced protagonist

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

boneration posted:

Yes: the game will only be released for the Wii U.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What's the fix people used to stop Fallout 3 from crashing every 20 minutes? It took me two years to muster playing the game after I bought it because of poo poo like this.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
What if, get this, we make a movie about dinosaurs with lightsabers?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I kind of hope the next Fallout after this is a 2D shmup. I really like shmups.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What's the fix people used to stop Fallout 3 from crashing every 20 minutes? It took me two years to muster playing the game after I bought it because of poo poo like this.

The only fix is not playing it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

evilmiera posted:

I'm sort of mixed on it, but I enjoyed the new Fallout games for what they were, and them being turned into FPS/RPG hybrids probably meant better sales.

I'm glad they turned it into an FPS because it takes about 1/100 the time to clear out dungeons compared to the old games.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zzulu posted:

What if, get this, we make a movie about dinosaurs with lightsabers?

set in a post apocalyptic universe

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Acebuckeye13 posted:

:psyduck: how can you be this thick

how
If you've ever seen him complaining about games that have the audacity to not hand him something on a golden platter you'll easily figure out why

Run it in the New Vegas engine (TTW)

When even Obsidian codes your engine better, you've got a loving problem

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Set inumhavokthreads in your Fallout.ini to 2.

Fallout 3 was designed when dual cores were the norm and quad cores were really rare and it doesn't play well with quad cores as a result. New Vegas fixed it by adding proper quad core support since they were more prevalent by then.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Set inumhavokthreads in your Fallout.ini to 2.

Fallout 3 was designed when dual cores were the norm and quad cores were really rare and it doesn't play well with quad cores as a result. New Vegas fixed it by adding proper quad core support since they were more prevalent by then.
It won't solve the perma-crash after 100 hours of play thing in fallout 3 though

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I swear I will try something else in Fallout 4 that isn't a Stealth Sniper on my first run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

frajaq posted:

I swear I will try something else in Fallout 4 that isn't a Stealth Sniper on my first run
That will only happen when NPCs have actual detection code instead of hamfisted hacky MMO radius-based code.

• Locked thread