Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Lork posted:

That explains a lot, actually. I wonder if on the middle difficulty you're safe, since there's no opposite to go to.

I always play Blood on the middle difficulty. I remember playing through on the what is the equivalent of Ultra Violence and it was really hard, especially trying to finish the last level with the boss rush while constantly saving and reloading.

Blood is pretty much the Devil May Cry of 90s FPS with Shadow Warrior at a close second.

I would like to hear opinions that would state otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

uncleKitchener posted:

I always play Blood on the middle difficulty. I remember playing through on the what is the equivalent of Ultra Violence and it was really hard, especially trying to finish the last level with the boss rush while constantly saving and reloading.

Blood is pretty much the Devil May Cry of 90s FPS with Shadow Warrior at a close second.

But I find even that difficulty a bit too hard. What's a lovely gamer to do? :saddowns:

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

If you are wanting to play against Quake 1 bots Frikbot works in quakespasm and there are pre-made .way files (bot pathing) for most common dm maps. I personally like the following maps if you can find them.
gendm2
efdm12
lacrima
aerowalk
baldm6
dmqdeck
edc
gmdm1
kikdm3
naked5
pinion2
rapture1
spinev2
ztndm2 through 6

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I'm trying to remember a Quake mapper who was hosted on PlanetQuake back in the day, his maps all had the lump name bsdmX. bsdm7 was my favorite, it was like some sort of frozen tech base so absolutely everything was blue.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
^^^ mapper is "brainstorm"

For anyone that doesn't mind a large-ish download, most of the above maps (including the bsdm maps but not gendm2 or dmqdeck) are included and waypointed in the Frikbots (fbx++) "quick start" package over at http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=123626484

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

uncleKitchener posted:

I tend to play on Pink on the Inside, mostly because higher and all the cultists have dynamite. I don't mind the... acolytes? The green ones with dynamite. It is still a hard game though. Harder than Duke3D at least, though not as tough as Redneck Rampage. Probably on par with Shadow Warrior?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I hate the SSG animation in Brutal Doom v20, it has a couple of animation flourishes that make the reload considerably smaller, which is a real problem since it's Brutal Doom and you need to be able to fire again RIGHT THE gently caress NOW.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

uncleKitchener posted:

I was going to protest and say that Shadow Warrior is more DmC mostly because of the sword aspect, but come to think of it Blood and it share the same sort of atmosphere and macabre enemy design. There really needs to be more games that mix semi-modern weaponry with dark fantasy.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Kins posted:

So, Terminus was streaming a really old version of this tonight... apparently is from Korea? All I know is it's really weird and does things the engine really, REALLY wasn't made to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKjTPovGClw

That... actually looks pretty cool/good?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

That... actually looks pretty cool/good?

Yeah, the version Terminus was running was pretty janky, but that newer dev video is slick.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

I just gave Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold a shot for the first time. As someone who is a big fan of Wolf3D's simple arcadey gameplay, this game is a really neat twist on the formula. The silent pistol actually makes really cool use of the "stealth instakill" mechanic that went almost completely unused in Wolf3D, and the addition of an automap is a godsend, not just because it prevents you from getting lost, but it also means they can make the levels a lot more complex.

Getting released one week before Doom was a death sentence though, it's a shame nobody really talks about this game.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The "stealth instakill" in Wolfenstein isn't an instakill, it just doubles the damage applied to the enemy.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I'll just leave this here.

:haw:

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUBUYWIZUpE

someone has finally completed a full speedrun of plutonia on nightmare, something that wasn't exactly thought of as possible for a while. it is, of course, a world record right now. because no one else has an entry at the very least.

Y'know, I don't think I've ever completed Plutonia. I might have gotten like halfway through, but my memory is fuzzy. All I remember is floods of enemies and not very good level design.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

arcsig posted:

I just gave Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold a shot for the first time. As someone who is a big fan of Wolf3D's simple arcadey gameplay, this game is a really neat twist on the formula. The silent pistol actually makes really cool use of the "stealth instakill" mechanic that went almost completely unused in Wolf3D, and the addition of an automap is a godsend, not just because it prevents you from getting lost, but it also means they can make the levels a lot more complex.

Getting released one week before Doom was a death sentence though, it's a shame nobody really talks about this game.

Wait, there's a stealth pistol-instakill in Wolf3D?

Also, wouldn't it be great if there was something like Steam, but just for Doom and Doom mods/wads/pk files? You'd have a friends list, maybe achievements (but who cares, really?), and the ability to easily host and join games in progress, plus, aside from the iwads, it would automatically download the correct version of whatever custom stuff the host was using when you join their game.

I'd love that so much :allears:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also, wouldn't it be great if there was something like Steam, but just for Doom and Doom mods/wads/pk files? You'd have a friends list, maybe achievements (but who cares, really?), and the ability to easily host and join games in progress, plus, aside from the iwads, it would automatically download the correct version of whatever custom stuff the host was using when you join their game.

I'd love that so much :allears:

That's called Zandronum, and before that, Skulltag.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Grimthwacker posted:

Y'know, I don't think I've ever completed Plutonia. I might have gotten like halfway through, but my memory is fuzzy. All I remember is floods of enemies and not very good level design.
Inaccurate on both counts. I heartily recommend another play through.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
Reminder that Necrovision on Steam is currently a mere dollar and is entirely worth it if you basically wanted Painkiller but with more melee.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Woolie Wool posted:

The "stealth instakill" in Wolfenstein isn't an instakill, it just doubles the damage applied to the enemy.
Oh, does it? My mistake then, it seemed like it killed every time I did it, even on SS.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Zandronum/Skulltag/ZDaemon + Wadseeker's been doing this for 10+ years now.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

arcsig posted:

Oh, does it? My mistake then, it seemed like it killed every time I did it, even on SS.

Nope! It's theoretically possible since the maximum stealth damage is 128 compared to 100 health for the SS) but I haven't seen it happen in 23 years of playing.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Elliotw2 posted:

Zandronum/Skulltag/ZDaemon + Wadseeker's been doing this for 10+ years now.

Oh, uhhh... wow, ok! Serves me right for pretty much only using G/ZDoom for forever.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Thyrork posted:

I'll just leave this here.

:haw:

I knew something was up the moment I fired the rocket launcher and the missile just dropped out of mid-air. What an evil, evil mod.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Man doom RPG+RL is a massive amount of fun, I just hope there aren't too many gimmicks like that low ligh-

"Warning, thermonuclear device detected."

:psyboom:

That's one way to wake up without resorting to coffee.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

I'm trying to remember a Quake mapper who was hosted on PlanetQuake back in the day, his maps all had the lump name bsdmX. bsdm7 was my favorite, it was like some sort of frozen tech base so absolutely everything was blue.

I like bsdm6. The Rocket Launcher room has two floors that make fights interesting and a nice Red Armor room that has a lot of ways to enter it, giving you pleanty of chances to ninja the Red Armor from a guy that's been there for a few seconds.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 15, 2015

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
So Bethesda is showing Doom 4 right now on their E3 stream.

It looks real bad, guys. Like Doom 3 meets brutal doom. There are 'fatalities'. Nothing is like the original Doom at all.

Oh and the first thing they showed is you can double jump.

:facepalm:

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Doom 3.5 :sigh:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
The chainsaw takes gas. :stare:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Jumped in late and saw the end of it. Honestly looks pretty good. If you were expecting anything like classic doom you're a retard

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
"Doom is about moving FAST"

*Shows a demo where the character doesn't run faster than master chief*

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It looks fine and totally not a single thing like Doom 3 to me. It's not Doom 1, but it's also not another loving Serious Sam reskin or whatever like most "classic fps's" are these days.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
also if you're expecting to move at 60 miles an hour in this game you're double retarded, Doom is actually a pretty slow game

Multiplayer looks awesome. You get to play as a skeleton

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

there's a powerup in multiplayer that turns you into a Revenant

this may redeem the entire game

shame about that single player video

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
in-game simplified doom map editor

makes a ton of sense imo

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Ok well the multiplayer looks pretty good and you seem to run as fast as classic Doom.

Map editor also, looks good.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I dunno guys, Doom is dead. We knew this already but how is what we saw any different from Call of Duty, etc?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

oh good they added Halo's Forge thing to Doom

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

my bony fealty posted:

oh good they added Halo's Forge thing to Doom

comparing snapmap to forge is like comparing a ferrari to a fiat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004