Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

ManlyGrunting posted:

Jeez, that was somehow the least awful part of that segment too. I thought we had left behind that grimdark bullshit in the 90's, that poo poo would be excessive even on Dexter or Hannibal.

I don't mean to be a dick, but have you seen most of DC's output over the last 20 years? The character might as well be Bruce 'Grimdark' Wayne. Blackest Night was about all the dead heroes coming back as evil zombies. Injustice has been the story of how absolutely hosed the world is if Superman does a 180. Most of the animated features that have come out from DC recently have been nasty, dark, dirty affairs. The last time we saw Superman on the big screen he broke a guy's neck.

DC hasn't stopped being grimdark. I don't think they even slowed down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Honestly, the 90's were more EXTREME than grimdark. But since the early 2000, DC has become downright unpleasant in an attempt to appeal to an aging core demographic.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

DC hasn't stopped being grimdark. I don't think they even slowed down.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jun 12, 2015

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
And then the children tear his arm off, right?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Phylodox posted:

And then the children tear his arm off, right?

Well, the issue does end with the cops about to burn down happy superman lane :shobon:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I like Gordon's "this is loving dumb but like hell I'm going to let anyone else do it" approach to being Batman.

So Bruce is dead now or something?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I like Gordon's "this is loving dumb but like hell I'm going to let anyone else do it" approach to being Batman.

So Bruce is dead now or something?

Crushed in a cave collapse embracing the Joker as his one true love.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

redbackground posted:

Crushed in a cave collapse embracing the Joker as his one true love.

You did see the final page of this weeks batman?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

You did see the final page of this weeks batman?
Haven't read it yet.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

2 pages does not an 11 year-trend reverse. You could also point out some absurdly dark bullshit at Marvel even if their overall trend has been to get more in lock-step with the Mouse and family-friendly stuff.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sure. It's almost like blanket statements about the companies would be dumb!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

No the occasional blanket statement about general trends is not an inherently evil or dumb thing.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Well you see DC is the worst and anything that proves otherwise doesn't exist so ipso facto nerd!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Y'all really do love putting words in a person's mouth.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gordon shaved his tash, this is still loving tragic and dark.

Ugenesis
May 1, 2003

Phy posted:

Gordon shaved his tash, this is still loving tragic and dark.

Later we'll see he didn't shave it and it was ripped off.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ugenesis posted:

Later we'll see he didn't shave it and it was ripped off.

He will later staple it back on upside-down.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

It's the closest most goons get to kissing

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

surprised those words fit, what with all that other stuff in there

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Actually he doesn't want to do it at all and has to be begged to take it on. Also Jim Gordon is 46 years old? Comic book years that puts him at what 35?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Jiro posted:

Actually he doesn't want to do it at all and has to be begged to take it on. Also Jim Gordon is 46 years old? Comic book years that puts him at what 35?

He does it because the alternative is some rookie cop with kids taking it and getting his dumb rear end killed.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

McCloud posted:

He does it because the alternative is some rookie cop with kids taking it and getting his dumb rear end killed.

Isn't it a commissioner's job to delegate dangerous jobs to young rookie cops?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Uthor posted:

Isn't it a commissioner's job to delegate dangerous jobs to young rookie cops?

No Commissioners give dangerous jobs to grizzled but soft-hearted old guard who are only two days away from retirement. Their rookie partners then pick up the mantle.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

PJOmega posted:

No Commissioners give dangerous jobs to grizzled but soft-hearted old guard who are only two days away from retirement. Their rookie partners then pick up the mantle.

Oh paid forced executions you mean. :v: Yep Jim Gordon is all about that. But seriously being Batman is a young man thing, or you get super scienced or magicked up in order to be able to do it. Cause at the end of the day you ain't Bruce Wayne or Dick Grayson.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Jiro posted:

Oh paid forced executions you mean. :v: Yep Jim Gordon is all about that. But seriously being Batman is a young man thing, or you get super scienced or magicked up in order to be able to do it. Cause at the end of the day you ain't Bruce Wayne or Dick Grayson.
Someone should write a story about how even being Batman doesn't halt the ravages of time. :v:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
They did, it was called Batman Beyond, it was great.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jiro posted:

Yeah, almost like you'd need some kind of armoured mech-suit to compensate for that stuff...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Malachite_Dragon posted:

They did, it was called Batman Beyond, it was great.
:thejoke:

Though I was actually referring to Dark Knight Returns

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, almost like you'd need some kind of armoured mech-suit to compensate for that stuff...

Or maybe... hear me out here. A younger sidekick?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

qntm posted:

Or maybe... hear me out here. A younger sidekick?

Maybe that's a Question they will answer in Detective.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Hopefully involving Bullock wearing the green scalemail panties.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Cabbit posted:

Hopefully involving Bullock wearing the green scalemail panties.

drat it! DC said that they never read my story submission.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GrandpaPants posted:

Speaking of Miracleman, I finished reading Moore's run and the suicide scene was something that really sticks out to me. It doesn't translate well to just seeing it in panels without the context of the decision, but man, what a scene.

I don't remember that. Remind me?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Jedit posted:

I don't remember that. Remind me?

Moran "committed suicide" by saying kimota one last time after his life pretty much fell apart from being Miracleman

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

In today's episode of RoboBat, the part of Jim Gordon will be played by Peter Weller.

Now I'm going to be disappointed if he isn't cast as Gordon in the next Batman movie.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Silhouette posted:

In today's episode of RoboBat, the part of Jim Gordon will be played by Peter Weller.
Personally, I think he'd be even better as Mr. Freeze.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
He would be phenomenal as Mr. Freeze.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Chaos Hippy posted:

He would be phenomenal as Mr. Freeze.

He pretty much was (motivation wise) in Fringe.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Peter Weller could play the queen of england and make it work. The man's completely underrated, and he should be a much higher profile actor than he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Silhouette posted:

Peter Weller could play the queen of england and make it work. The man's completely underrated, and he should be a much higher profile actor than he is.

Too busy teaching