Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

quote:

I live in SC now where I don't have any friends or connections to existing bands except from guys I know from drinking

what part of sc? I can hook you up with muscians most likely if you need. I live in cola but I have connections just about everywhere. if not for jamming at least going to shows and stuff.

oh and closed back with ports, fight me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I would totally be in an Internet band with some of you nerds. It would fit my reclusive hermit nature perfectly.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'll make the wiki!

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Kilometers Davis posted:

I would totally be in an Internet band with some of you nerds. It would fit my reclusive hermit nature perfectly.

The Skypes

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

sout posted:

The Skypes

Nah, if it's a bunch of reclusive goons then "The Mumbles" works way better :v:

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Shugojin posted:

Nah, if it's a bunch of reclusive goons then "The Mumbles" works way better :v:

RUN IRC
e: not voip, who cares

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Oh yeah I have a probably dumb question - what's the point of two-wood necks on guitars/basses? My friend asked me why my bass had that at some point and I honestly didn't know and hadn't even paid attention to that when I was trying it in the store. Does it actually have a structural purpose or is it just a cosmetics/"MY TONEZ" thing?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Cosmetic, mostly, but multipiece necks are a good way to reinforce necks without using higher quality woods, which can cut down on material costs.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

sout posted:

The Skypes

A socially stunted Beatles like band would be beyond hilarious.

If any of you were in NY area I would play with you guys, I bring keytar and unbelievably bad guitar playing ability. :dance:

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Smash it Smash hit posted:

what part of sc? I can hook you up with muscians most likely if you need. I live in cola but I have connections just about everywhere. if not for jamming at least going to shows and stuff.

oh and closed back with ports, fight me.

Myrtle Beach. I'm not 100% certain I want to jump back in but I definitely want to know what opportunities there are out there.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I want to be in a loose feeling motown influenced sludgy rock band. Like QotSA if Homme was backed by Marvin Gaye's studio band in the early 70s. Never gonna happen because y'all won't make an Internet supergroup with me and meeting people is VERY DIFFICULT.

Band dreams :swoon:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Kilometers Davis posted:

I want to be in a loose feeling motown influenced sludgy rock band. Like QotSA if Homme was backed by Marvin Gaye's studio band in the early 70s. Never gonna happen because y'all won't make an Internet supergroup with me and meeting people is VERY DIFFICULT.

All I want to do is this honestly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsIfN9Nhnmw

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'd be right there with you on that. My parents had me listening to Detroit's WOMC motown stuff growing up and driving with my dad on the truck routes near Windsor.

I also own a relic'd Mexican Tele. Let me tell you about the toll a year and a half out of production can take on a guitar. :downs:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Sockington posted:

I'd be right there with you on that. My parents had me listening to Detroit's WOMC motown stuff growing up and driving with my dad on the truck routes near Windsor.

I also own a relic'd Mexican Tele. Let me tell you about the toll a year and a half out of production can take on a guitar. :downs:

I've been submerging myself in Motown music lately. I remember growing up listening to it on the oldies station my grandma always had on in her car. Always made me so happy, I'm sure in some way it subconsciously formed the musician in me early on. Coming back to the music now there's an amazing sense of nostalgia to go with my appreciation of how on point all of those guys and girls were. So much talent and feeling in that scene and it's infectious.

I emailed you back by the way. You've got a killer tone going on there :)

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

I emailed you back by the way. You've got a killer tone going on there :)

I was surprised with the Cabronita pickup as well. Here's a beater Tele (2013 MIM) I'll probably do something similar to since the PO tried to "relic" it. I also wouldn't mind leaving a beater Tele with the band stuff.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

unlawfulsoup posted:

A socially stunted Beatles like band would be beyond hilarious.

If any of you were in NY area I would play with you guys, I bring keytar and unbelievably bad guitar playing ability. :dance:

Would this band also Skype in for concerts as well? No need to live out of a Bus!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Gripen5 posted:

Would this band also Skype in for concerts as well? No need to live out of a Bus leave the house!

Count me in

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
So I've got Jags and Mustangs live on the Pick Peelz site. http://www.pickpeelz.com/collections/frontpage/products/classic-checkerboard

Are there any other guitars you guys would recommend making renderings for? I've got lots more templates but there is no way I can make renderings for all of them.

I have J and P Basses, I feel like there are more other popular basses.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Hollis Brownsound posted:

So I've got Jags and Mustangs live on the Pick Peelz site. http://www.pickpeelz.com/collections/frontpage/products/classic-checkerboard

Are there any other guitars you guys would recommend making renderings for? I've got lots more templates but there is no way I can make renderings for all of them.

I have J and P Basses, I feel like there are more other popular basses.

Stingray bass? It's mostly pickguard. Les Paul little pickguard overlays?

Could also venture into headstock overlays :can:

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Sockington posted:

Stingray bass? It's mostly pickguard. Les Paul little pickguard overlays?

Could also venture into headstock overlays :can:

Yeah Stingray is good.

And as dumb as it is we do have LP skins. I told my partner it was dumb cause most people take them off immediately. But he wanted to do them.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah Stingray is good.

And as dumb as it is we do have LP skins. I told my partner it was dumb cause most people take them off immediately. But he wanted to do them.

(I'm in the UK anyway but) I'm a filthy scoundrel who uses a humbucker in my tele neck, have you considered either accommodating odd shapes like that or would the stickers (e: not stickers?) be relatively easy to just cut into the right shape?

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Gripen5 posted:

Would this band also Skype in for concerts as well? No need to live out of a Bus!

Well of course.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

fullroundaction posted:

Myrtle Beach. I'm not 100% certain I want to jump back in but I definitely want to know what opportunities there are out there.

yikes MB is pretty rough. unfortunately afaik there isn't and really never has been anything there. the only bands/people I have seen from there were hxc kids that came to cola just to fight at shows and a pop punk band that used the stage to call people pussy and human being left and right.

if you wanna make a day trip to columbia for a show, we have a few good ones coming up including my bands "reunion" show. but I'll ask around about mb a friends band played there recently I believe

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Anyone able to sound off on Guitar Fetish Gold Foil Humbuckers? I'm planning on ordering a new set of pickups for my old Epiphone Les Paul and installing a split tap because I figure why not get my first excursion in the innards of a guitar to be as convoluted and confusing as possible.

Right now I'm debating on if I want to get the Gold Foils or Crunchy Pats. Is it fair to say that the Crunchy Pats are more of a traditional rock tone and the Gold Foils lean more toward Jazz and mellow tunes? Wildcard option in my minds eye for pickups would be saying gently caress it and buying their silly lipstick humbuckers(I dig the demo sound, but I'm also planning on lipsticks on my Malden when I get around to it and kind of don't want the same kind of pickup on both guitars though).

Edit: Is anyone able to explain tone differences between Alinco, Ferrite, and Alinco V based pickups? They sell gold foils in each of those varieties and I'm not down on guitar specific electronics to be able to think out the differences.

plerocercoid
Feb 14, 2012

Yeah Stingray is good.

I'm one of the weirdos that left his LP pick guard on and I just put in an order for an LP skin. So you've made one sale off of it at least.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

How true do you guys find the maxim "give up early or play long enough to find yourself a jazz guitarist" ?

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007
I ended up playing jazz, so obviously 100% true.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Learn enough chords and you just can't help it. I mean once you know all those seventh chords, what else are you going to do with them?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

SubG posted:

Learn enough chords and you just can't help it. I mean once you know all those seventh chords, what else are you going to do with them?

Play blackened ska

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Play blackened ska

First result searching for blackened ska because who woulda thought it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMfSKr1cVkY

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

:stare:

This is very much my poo poo (now).

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Verizian posted:

First result searching for blackened ska because who woulda thought it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMfSKr1cVkY

I meant it as a tepid joke because both use full-ish chords, like Where Dead Angels Lie from Dissection, and i've been loving around with using more 7th chords than usual when goofing around, but that sounds like leftover crack's awesome little brother.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 16, 2015

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The jazz thing is 100% true.

It proves itself to me when I decide most jazz is boring and too hard to learn for not enough reward and I spend weeks listening to and play old rock and metal and eventually put on some Bright Size Life or something and question why I ever betrayed the beautiful genre. I'm always moving towards jazz ideas when I want to improve my hands and ears and mind.

Blues is better though.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
https://soundcloud.com/jacob-staudt/malaguena-analog-in-3

Roy Clark Malaguena best malaguena

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
If anyone's interested, I can write a very accurate tab for it since I mostly stumbled on one of his more complex fingerings by complete accident while loving around on my travel guitar at work today and decided to figure out the rest of it

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

NTT posted:

If anyone's interested, I can write a very accurate tab for it since I mostly stumbled on one of his more complex fingerings by complete accident while loving around on my travel guitar at work today and decided to figure out the rest of it

I'm sure it would kick my rear end but I would appreciate this so much.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
God this SC-2 somehow makes the perfect Roy Clark tone gently caress :fap:

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
That's some goddamn filthy Malaguena and I love it :swoon:

Also it reminded me that Jose Feliciano is still alive, so that's cool too.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Kilometers Davis posted:

Let's do this immediately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

Blues is better though.