Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
Maybe people are tired of at least three different decks built around "hurr hurr I flash in exarch/pestermite at your end step and drop twin on my turn and I win". Crazy I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

There were a bunch of Eggs defenders because being unironically terrible is appealing apparently

Well, Eggs was cheap to build, fun to goldfish, had no interesting deck building decisions, and you could basically never scoop after they went off because there was always the potential to fizzle. So basically the anti-twin.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

People were literally just complaining that Twin is "boring," which Eggs has it beat in spades.

It's considerably less interactive than Twin I'll give you that

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

Dig would just go into Scapeshift and I don't think you need Serum Visions to guess what the complaints would be next

Banning Twin isn't going to change that.

Scapeshift is tier 2 right now though

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

rabidsquid posted:

People itt have been predicting a Twin ban for like three years now. It's gonna happen any minute

I've said it before but I would be much more interested to see what Wizards could un-ban that would put some pressure on Twin, but then again it's way easier to ban Exarch or Twin than it is to study the current banlist and figure out what would have the desired effect on the meta.

rabidsquid posted:

I think Goblin Guide should be banned for budget reasons

Fun fact: I picked up my playset of Guides for what is now TCGMid on a single Guide. Then again I did this almost two years ago.

Sickening posted:

The 2nd is to blatantly defend decks you do play.

Esper Mill best deck ever :(

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Its true, Scapeshift in the current meta with Dig banned and Twin unbanned is a tier two deck. You got me there.

C-Euro posted:

I've said it before but I would be much more interested to see what Wizards could un-ban that would put some pressure on Twin, but then again it's way easier to ban Exarch or Twin than it is to study the current banlist and figure out what would have the desired effect on the meta.

The intended meta is t4 combo kills with roughly the consistency of current Splinter Twin decks. That's the desired effect on the meta. That's why it isn't banned. This is the culmination of banning a bunch of other stuff and knocking down Pyromancer Ascension.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

lmao did they not check T8 deck lists? oh man what a gently caress up

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

rabidsquid posted:

Yeah but good luck, the High Tide around here is predictable and dumb.

Yeah we should obviously not question a mirror match of Tier 1 decks rather than any of the unorthodox decks that are actually in the top 8. :jerkbag: I'm not against seeing solid play in a mirror, but you need to pull your head out of your rear end and actually read what other decks were in the Top 8 before making stupid comments like this.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
Wonder if it was intentional or he screwed up.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Should be just a DQ instead of game loss.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Did I miss a on-camera Game Loss at the finals of a GP?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Look at that! Cheaty twin is in the finals!

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

morning wood posted:

Wonder if it was intentional or he screwed up.

It's an incredibly common error, so who knows. Writing down something wrong like that has a far lower upside than say, playing 5 of a card, so I doubt it's intentional.

Usually judges check lists and decks at the beginning of Top 8s so this kind of stuff doesn't get found this late into a tournmanet, I wonder what the gently caress happened.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Wesley See has been playing with a Cavern of Souls in his deck where his decklist says Tectonic Edge all day. It was caught right before the finals so he gets a game loss starting the finals.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
At least it happened to the twin player. :evilbuddy:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Should be just a DQ instead of game loss.

Yes it should, he should be DQd and the opponent he beat should be in the finals. This is bullshit.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

bhsman posted:

Yeah we should obviously not question a mirror match of Tier 1 decks rather than any of the unorthodox decks that are actually in the top 8. :jerkbag: I'm not against seeing solid play in a mirror, but you need to pull your head out of your rear end and actually read what other decks were in the Top 8 before making stupid comments like this.

Do you see any irony in making a serious angry reply to an obvious joke post and calling it a stupid comment

Also more Splinter Twin thoughts: I think if there wasn't a huge control void in Modern you'd see more stuff that would knock around Twin a little bit but not only is control hurt by not having access to one of its best cards, but the format as it stands is really friendly towards extremely efficient midrange decks. That's a double whammy. Also with the way Modern works its incredibly hard to sideboard the right answers which ends up harming control as an archetype more than the others.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I'm pumped for another 1000 posts about how something should be a DQ from players who I'm sure routinely make errors.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

rabidsquid posted:

Do you see any irony in making a serious angry reply to an obvious joke post and calling it a stupid comment

Ah yes an obvious joke post in which you continued to defend a Real Stupid Opinion and crack jokes like "Oh man, Twin's gonna be banned any minute like we've been calling for 3 years now" and white-knighting the deck against anyone who dare take issue with it. You loving got me, buddy. :jerkbag: :jerkbag: :jerkbag:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I said High Tide instead of Hive Mind. I am sorry I made confusing earnest statements after making a joke one

You also called me a White Knight. Am I the one being trolled??

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Eat a dick twin cheater.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

rabidsquid posted:

Also more Splinter Twin thoughts: I think if there wasn't a huge control void in Modern you'd see more stuff that would knock around Twin a little bit but not only is control hurt by not having access to one of its best cards, but the format as it stands is really friendly towards extremely efficient midrange decks. That's a double whammy. Also with the way Modern works its incredibly hard to sideboard the right answers which ends up harming control as an archetype more than the others.

It's worth noting that Patrick Chapin's list, which finished 9th in this event, is not ridiculously far off from a Grixis Twin deck (except, obviously), without the combo.

I dislike Splinter Twin because it feels like it has a stifling presence on deckbuilding, more than its raw power.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Do you mean you think that it's edging other combo decks out? I mean that's certainly a possibility but I think when you're making such specific bans and allowances to craft a desired fundamental turn wrt combo decks you're going to end up causing there to always be basically one best combo deck.

Also I guess I am "white knighting" Splinter Twin lmao.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I'm pumped for another 1000 posts about how something should be a DQ from players who I'm sure routinely make errors.

Dude you can't submit a decklist, see everyone else's lists and then switch out cards. How is that NOT a DQ worthy thing? I mean the dudes a pro right? Pros never cheat right?

Also Seeing how prevalent Snapcaster is right now we need an unban on DRS to kick it in the face.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I don't know why the deck check took place before the finals instead of after a cut to Top 8. They should just do deck checks for everyone in the Top 8 by default.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Balon posted:

I don't know why the deck check took place before the finals instead of after a cut to Top 8. They should just do deck checks for everyone in the Top 8 by default.

There are only 8 decks. Check them all each round.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Dude you can't submit a decklist, see everyone else's lists and then switch out cards. How is that NOT a DQ worthy thing? I mean the dudes a pro right? Pros never cheat right?

Also Seeing how prevalent Snapcaster is right now we need an unban on DRS to kick it in the face.

With BBE out you could maybe unban Deathrite if you banned Liliana (seems unlikely) or fetches (HEH)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Yes, I've made errors and gotten knocked out of tournaments for them.

That's all the more reason to me that this guy shouldn't get to be a special loving snowflake in the finals of a GP.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
I think we're a lot less likely to see that amulet bloom ban they were talking about yesterday morning on the scg coverage after its terrible turnout this weekend. Only one copy in the top 32 doesn't really scream ban me.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Does anyone remember if pardee could've countered the Teferi if that hadn't been a cavern?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
What was the argument for it's banning? It's incredibly inconsistent, isn't it? It relies on both amulet and primetimes to do anything interesting.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I don't think you should make decisions about that based on one tournament. Amulet Bloom will only see the chopping block if it ends up with too many t3 wins. I doubt any existing combo deck is in danger.

Sigma-X posted:

What was the argument for it's banning? It's incredibly inconsistent, isn't it? It relies on both amulet and primetimes to do anything interesting.

I genuinely can't think of a reason it would see a ban based on the modern design philosophy, other than there's a certain outcry for a lot of bans for combo decks.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It's a very common very easy to commit violation, that's why its not DQ worthy. The chances it was a cheat are slim, the only time your opponent would see a tec edge in your list and be caught by surprise would be during the Top 8. At every tournament I've ever attended or Judged, deck checks are performed before Top 8, so the chances of getting caught are extremely high, and there would be zero benefit for 15 rounds because no one would see your list to be "next leveled"

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yes, I've made errors and gotten knocked out of tournaments for them.

That's all the more reason to me that this guy shouldn't get to be a special loving snowflake in the finals of a GP.

He made an error and he got knocked out of a tournament for it so, yeah.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 14, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

Filtering would help a lot with that (again, Dig :v:) because it makes it easier to find hate and allows you to run fewer pieces of it. That's more or less what happened for decks with Dig in Legacy.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Not every deck runs blue though, while it would be easier to find hate it would be harder on other decks while bringing more consistency to some of the dicier combo decks on the fringes of play atm.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

I genuinely can't think of a reason it would see a ban based on the modern design philosophy, other than there's a certain outcry for a lot of bans for combo decks.
Modern is supposed to be a T4 format and Amulet Bloom is very much a deck that's trying to go off before that. I don't think it really needs to be banned but you could very easily justify doing so.

TheKingofSprings posted:

That's more or less what happened for decks with Dig in Legacy.
Show and Tell/Omniscience is pretty good and universal hatred

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
What happens if you flashback a rebound spell? Can you choose why it is exiled? And if it is exiled for its rebound, then doesn't that mean once it comes back it is a new game object, and doesn't get exiled for being flashbacked?

Seeing potential for Narset+Jace control decks... Giving something rebound isn't as good as giving something flashback, but saving a flashbacked spell seems worth the 4 drop?

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Sigma-X posted:

The argument is that it can break the turn 4 rule in modern "too often." Whether or not you agree with that is a different question.

Also, I can think of three recent bans to undo that would kill twin again.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Gensuki posted:

What happens if you flashback a rebound spell? Can you choose why it is exiled? And if it is exiled for its rebound, then doesn't that mean once it comes back it is a new game object, and doesn't get exiled for being flashbacked?

Seeing potential for Narset+Jace control decks... Giving something rebound isn't as good as giving something flashback, but saving a flashbacked spell seems worth the 4 drop?

Flashback always exiles spells no matter what the card says. It's why flashing back the Zeniths was disappointing and involved a lot of judge calls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oryx
Nov 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gensuki posted:

comp rules posted:

702.85 Rebound appears on some instants and sorceries. It represents a static ability that functions while the spell is on the stack and may create a delayed triggered ability. "Rebound" means "If this spell was cast from your hand, instead of putting it into your graveyard as it resolves, exile it and, at the beginning of your next upkeep, you may cast this card from exile without paying its mana cost."

It does not come back, since it specifies from your hand.

• Locked thread