Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

CVagts posted:

I have been saying that this might just be the greatest game I've ever played, but if the boss fight in the Cave of Dreams was a portal-traversing giant zeugl wearing a Doublet, that would have cemented it for sure.

ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Soul
Nov 5, 2011
God that scene where geralt roasts imerlith's head in his helmet and exhaustedly pounds his eyeless barbacued head to mush was metal as gently caress. This game ownssss

With the dudes warhammer even! And it started to feel like the viper and the mountain to me so much that it made the headsmash that more satisfying, I thought he would catch the warhammer and do some magical blind UFC on me

Mr. Soul fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 14, 2015

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Mr. Soul posted:

God that scene where geralt roasts imerlith's head in his helmet and exhaustedly pounds his eyeless barbacued head to mush was metal as gently caress. This game ownssss

Yes, that felt so earned. That fucker deserved it. :fuckoff: indeed.

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

RatHat posted:

I've got a story question for you guys who have read the books. I'm doing the Isle of Mists quest and I went to try to recruit allies from the emperor but Geralt refused the help if Morvran Voorhis was leading the troops. Why? What did Voorhis do to piss Geralt off enough that he'd refuse a banner of soldiers?

It have to do with the conversation topic you have with him alone. He was well aware that the Emperor might abdicate the throne in favor of Ciri, and you could tell from his wording he intend to marry into the royal family through Ciri. So basically he doesn't want the general making his move on Ciri or create any implicit obligations through his help. Basically Geralt doesn't want a suitor for Ciri.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Hm. Radovids galley seems to have forgotten a little something in Oxenfurt harbour.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
I have a really cool idea, what if there was some sort of enemy that posed absolutely 0 threat at any point in the game, but they can fly so you have to stand around with your cock in your hand waiting for them to swoop on you, because Geralt couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with his crossbow . Don't worry, there is an item that makes them fall from the sky, which will more often than not break their ai and have them circling some uneccessable spot under a bridge so you're stuck in combat mode forever. Also, let's put a lot of these things in areas where you necessarily have to jump to progress!

Oh you've already got harpies? Nevermind then.

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

how me a frog posted:

I have a really cool idea, what if there was some sort of enemy that posed absolutely 0 threat at any point in the game, but they can fly so you have to stand around with your cock in your hand waiting for them to swoop on you, because Geralt couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with his crossbow . Don't worry, there is an item that makes them fall from the sky, which will more often than not break their ai and have them circling some uneccessable spot under a bridge so you're stuck in combat mode forever. Also, let's put a lot of these things in areas where you necessarily have to jump to progress!

The game's auto target function allows Geralt to automatically aim the crossbow at enemies medium distance away, so it is basically autohit. Also Aard can actually drop airborne enemies without directly hitting them, this even easier with the AOE sweep aard.

Fun fact, crossbow deals far more damage if you didn't have your swords drawn.

Also about water, when Geralt is forced to wadle in knee deep water, just spam forward jump to move around MUCH faster.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Somehow the best strategy for killing harpies is to dive underwater so your crossbow instakills them.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

how me a frog posted:

1) Crossbow will auto aim if you don't zoom in. As long as the harpy/siren is remotely close to you, you should be able to tag it easily.
2) Aard also autoaims, and will knock harpies out of the sky even at pretty good distance, opening them for an instant kill.
3) Quen will not be broken when they swoop in to attack, so if you just start swinging your sword when you see the orange flash you'll clip the monster as it tries to get away, knocking it to the ground, where you can instantly kill them.

I mean it's still a little annoying yeah but once you wrap your head around "let them come to you" there's a handful of methods for dealing with them even in large groups. I don't think I ever had a Siren battle last more than a couple minutes and even then the longest ones are where you have to stand on your boat and let them charge you and those happen less if you're not trying to wipe every ? point in Skellige.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
alt-Yrden (the lightning trap) also knocks them down

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007
There's also a horn in Skellige you find during a quest that'll send all sirens (not harpies) down to the ground when you blow it. It's a tool like that lantern.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Once again can't remember the quest name so spoilered, it involves finding a bootmaker/repairer in a cave

For the Radovid assasination quest does the remainder of the mission come throughout the course of the game or is there something I have to do? I found the undercover agent dude in the Ogre cave and from there there's no more missions involving it that I can see. I just got to Kaer Morhen and I thought something would have happened by now.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Once again can't remember the quest name so spoilered, it involves finding a bootmaker/repairer in a cave

For the Radovid assasination quest does the remainder of the mission come throughout the course of the game or is there something I have to do? I found the undercover agent dude in the Ogre cave and from there there's no more missions involving it that I can see. I just got to Kaer Morhen and I thought something would have happened by now.

It'll pick up again later. Be nice to Djikstra.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

It'll come up eventually.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
I found a note on a notice board from a guy giving away his friendly dog he can't afford to keep anymore to anyone who promises not to eat him and that made me sadder than anything else I've seen :(

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Just finished the game. I think I got the worst possible ending :
Ciri is gone - she sacrificed herself to stop the white frost
BOTH Yen and Triss are gone - I hosed something up, I told Triss that I love her after I banged both of them and I told Yen that I am not in love with her
Gerald is just broken, he went to get Ciri's medallion from the last Crone. She told him that he looked like he wanted to die and that she could smell fear on him. Gerald: " That's a lie. I don't feel anything anymore." After he finds he medallion he just sits there while an army of ghouls/drowners is closing in.

:(

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Popelmon posted:

Just finished the game. I think I got the worst possible ending :
Ciri is gone - she sacrificed herself to stop the white frost
BOTH Yen and Triss are gone - I hosed something up, I told Triss that I love her after I banged both of them and I told Yen that I am not in love with her
Gerald is just broken, he went to get Ciri's medallion from the last Crone. She told him that he looked like he wanted to die and that she could smell fear on him. Gerald: " That's a lie. I don't feel anything anymore." After he finds he medallion he just sits there while an army of ghouls/drowners is closing in.

:(

Congratulations, you are the worst witcher

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

dyzzy posted:

It'll pick up again later. Be nice to Djikstra.

Specifically, the main quest will at some point send you back to Dijkstra in the bath house. Don't push him around and play nice, the assassination plot requires him to like you.

You're sent there to get Philippa, you can tell Dijkstra to gently caress off and take her with you and that will end the assassination plot line. There's a "shove Dijskstra forcefully" option which actually has you throw him to the floor and break his other leg :stare:
Don't do that if you want to continue the plot. Let him keep Philippa.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Meiteron posted:

1) Crossbow will auto aim if you don't zoom in. As long as the harpy/siren is remotely close to you, you should be able to tag it easily.

B U L L S H I T

It will vaguely aim the right direction sometimes, it will however not hit more than once in five shots, it reloads painfully slowly and you're constantly interrupted by one of the 7 other loving harpies swooping down on you from behind.

I CAN wrap my head around "let them come to you", the problem is, often they won't, and you're stuck fighting a gaggle of enemies about as threating as two goats and a hare, for 3 minutes.

This is NOT defensible.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
You sound upset.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Crossbow autoaim is fine, sorry.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

Specifically, the main quest will at some point send you back to Dijkstra in the bath house. Don't push him around and play nice, the assassination plot requires him to like you.

You're sent there to get Philippa, you can tell Dijkstra to gently caress off and take her with you and that will end the assassination plot line. There's a "shove Dijskstra forcefully" option which actually has you throw him to the floor and break his other leg :stare:
Don't do that if you want to continue the plot. Let him keep Philippa.

Regarding bathhouse options: you can take Philippa if you are calm and friendly towards Dijkstra. Exchange your information for Philippa and the assassination plot continues just fine.

Carew
Jun 22, 2006
they won't come down to you but at the same time they are constantly swooping down on you interrupting the shot you are trying to take because they won't come to you

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

how me a frog posted:

This is NOT defensible.

Look at me defending it:

The crossbow's autoaim works just fine.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

You could get rid of the crossbow, harpies/sirens, and every underwater mob spawn and the game would be better for it. I honestly run past every swarm of harpies, except the time i was stuck on a ledge because 8 of them were keeping me in combat so i couldn't jump.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

dyzzy posted:

Crossbow autoaim is fine, sorry.

It's really not. Geralt shoots at where the enemy currently is when he looses the arrow. He doesn't do any actual target tracking, so if the enemy is moving laterally, he won't hit them.

edit: I mean, it's not really a big issue because if the first shot doesn't get them, the second shot probably will, but the auto aim is still only really guaranteed against things that are standing still/coming right at you in which case you could just aim it yourself and get a headshot.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 14, 2015

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

Antares posted:

You could get rid of the crossbow, harpies/sirens, and every underwater mob spawn and the game would be better for it. I honestly run past every swarm of harpies, except the time i was stuck on a ledge because 8 of them were keeping me in combat so i couldn't jump.

I was literally able to easily take out multiple waves of Sirens while traveling in a boat without ever leaving the helm on the second hardest difficulty. The auto-aim pretty much never troubled me (also the significant bonus damage you get with only the crossbow out)

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

how me a frog posted:

I CAN wrap my head around "let them come to you", the problem is, often they won't, and you're stuck fighting a gaggle of enemies about as threating as two goats and a hare, for 3 minutes.

This is NOT defensible.
So you answered a single argument and moved on with the outrage? If the crossbow doesn't work for you then take them down with witcher signs aka the basic gameplay mechanism. The game gives you plenty of ways of getting flying enemies down onto the ground and all I'm seeing is a guy furiously swinging a sword in the air under a swarm of circling harpies :downs:.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

CJacobs posted:

It's really not. Geralt shoots at where the enemy currently is when he looses the arrow. He doesn't do any actual target tracking, so if the enemy is moving laterally, he won't hit them.

edit: I mean, it's not really a big issue because if the first shot doesn't get them, the second shot probably will, but the auto aim is still only really guaranteed against things that are standing still/coming right at you in which case you could just aim it yourself and get a headshot.

I think it's okay for it to not lead targets for you when quickly firing it. I guess it's down to opinion though.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Randomzx posted:

I was literally able to easily take out multiple waves of Sirens while traveling in a boat without ever leaving the helm on the second hardest difficulty. The auto-aim pretty much never troubled me (also the significant bonus damage you get with only the crossbow out)

Agreed, they're completely trivial enemies that just keep you in combat forever mitigated by the fact that there's an autoaim that helps you never have to actually use the bad crossbow to kill the nonthreatening monsters

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Zoo06 posted:

Did you guys really have issues with the horse races? I won nearly every one on the first try (except for that one in Skellige with the woman who bolts like loving lightning, though the race is super short.) I am by no means a fan of races or good at them...but I found these to be super easy. Just stay in the middle of the track unless you have to dodge something and body block your opponent while you recover stamina.

They are really easy, it's just when you round a corner and Roach hits an errant pixel and you come to an rear end grinding dead stop, and lose because of it. I had to listen to Eskel call me a lame sow :mad: It happens all the time and it is pretty maddening. Roach does have more redeeming features though, like being indestructible. I can leap from the highest point in the game and he just lands like nothing. He can tank like a champ too. Packs of wolves or nekkers will swarm him and he whinnies and kicks them around without taking damage. I hope they never fix this :ssh:

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007
Was there anything about the nature of the plagues they talked about in this game? Because the book had Ciri acidently bringing the bubonic plague from a medieval world to the witcher world.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sirens and other flying harpy-type enemies are definitely annoying though, especially in Skellige where they're level 10 and you're level 25 and you get nothing for killing them but still have to do it in order to platform. This would be mitigated completely without having to do anything about the harpies by having the sheathe sword button actually make Geralt sheath his sword and exit combat mode, instead of sheathing it and pulling it right back out.

The game assumes you're an idiot and that every time you hit the button to sheathe your sword it was on accident while you were trying to use a potion. Which is annoying because they even show you how to do it in the tutorial.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 14, 2015

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

They are really easy, it's just when you round a corner and Roach hits an errant pixel and you come to an rear end grinding dead stop, and lose because of it. I had to listen to Eskel call me a lame sow :mad: It happens all the time and it is pretty maddening. Roach does have more redeeming features though, like being indestructible. I can leap from the highest point in the game and he just lands like nothing. He can tank like a champ too. Packs of wolves or nekkers will swarm him and he whinnies and kicks them around without taking damage. I hope they never fix this :ssh:

You can still easily win if Roach stops or you run out of stamina (assuming you're ahead), just get within 3 meters or so of your opponent and he will immediately stop so you can charge off again.

CJacobs posted:

Sirens and other flying harpy-type enemies are definitely annoying though, especially in Skellige where they're level 10 and you're level 25 and you get nothing for killing them but still have to do it in order to platform. This would be mitigated completely without having to do anything about the harpies by having the sheathe sword button actually making Geralt sheath his sword and exit combat mode, instead of sheathing it and pulling it right back out.

The game assumes you're an idiot and that every time you hit the button to sheathe your sword it was on accident while you were trying to use a potion. Which is annoying because they even show you how to do it in the tutorial.

The worst thing about harpies is that there always seem to be at least 7 or 8 of them. Why yes I would love to stand around for five minutes just so I can Igni some grey enemies who can't do poo poo to me even if I get poisoned.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
Swimming controls are mega not poo poo, it is fun that instead of going up or down sometimes geralt just does flips, and also it is neat that you cant accidentally loot chests under water because geralt will swim up automatically whenever youre vaguely near the seabed :)

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Can't whistle or use things while that deep in water. Also can't jump manually. I managed to agro the closest thing and tried rolling every way possible. No help.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Randomzx posted:

The game's auto target function allows Geralt to automatically aim the crossbow at enemies medium distance away, so it is basically autohit. Also Aard can actually drop airborne enemies without directly hitting them, this even easier with the AOE sweep aard.

Yeah except they love to hover just above the highest possible shooting angle so you have to back up but then they've already moved and :argh:

quote:

Also about water, when Geralt is forced to wadle in knee deep water, just spam forward jump to move around MUCH faster.

chest deep water though: "You cannot do this now."

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Yeah that part of the quest left me a bit confused. What the hell actually happens in that scene?

The hym scene? It's an old run-down house. Cerys comes out of the room behind the bigass stove (in Eastern Europe stoves are some serious poo poo to keep the house warm in winter hours after a fire) and says "hey I have an idea". Then a few hours later she runs up, gives you a baby and yells at you to throw the baby in the oven and lock the door. Then she disappears while Geralt deals with the fallout. Cerys comes out of the room behind the stove with the baby after the shouting and crying is over. Obviously the back of the stove/wall was busted, which gave Cerys the idea. When you throw the baby in the oven, Cerys runs to the next room and retrieves it through the broken wall. The baby is never really in danger, but Geralt never saw the back of the stove and doesn't know about the hole.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

CJacobs posted:

It depends on how far away an enemy is but he absolutely does auto-track targets within his range if you just tap the crossbow button instead of holding to aim. I haven't aimed my crossbow at a flying enemy in 100 hours of gameplay because there's simply no need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

The hym scene? It's an old run-down house. Cerys comes out of the room behind the bigass stove (in Eastern Europe stoves are some serious poo poo to keep the house warm in winter hours after a fire) and says "hey I have an idea". Then a few hours later she runs up, gives you a baby and yells at you to throw the baby in the oven and lock the door. Then she disappears while Geralt deals with the fallout. Cerys comes out of the room behind the stove with the baby after the shouting and crying is over. Obviously the back of the stove/wall was busted, which gave Cerys the idea. When you throw the baby in the oven, Cerys runs to the next room and retrieves it through the broken wall. The baby is never really in danger, but Geralt never saw the back of the stove and doesn't know about the hole.

That doesn't really work though. The Hym only changes its target if the target feels actual, real remorse but it later turns out that the act they felt remorse for wasn't actually really bad.
Geralt knows Cerys will try some trickery poo poo, no way he really seriously thought he just immolated a baby.
Not to mention the guards he just slaughters because they're not main characters so who gives a poo poo right?