Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

My one question that I feel wasn't answered/justified very well in game: Why did the Wild Hunt take Yen and Geralt in the first place? Surely the elves have their own mages they don't need to steal away filthy human ones. It makes even less sense to steal away Geralt because he doesn't really bring anything except "Can hit stuff with a sword but good"

Edit: The one thing that made me squeal in glee was when I first started the game, loaded in my W2 save and found I still had that ridiculous tattoo from the previous game.

You can talk to Yen in the fort about her time in the wild hunt, and she says that you guys were bait for Ciri.

Also, in regards to the frost I thought it was pretty obvious that it's the heat death of the universe and that elder blood is deific power. Doesn't really need more explanation that God vs Nature imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
The frustrating thing about how they dealt with the White Frost wasn't so much they didn't explain poo poo about it. After all, we've been hearing about Ithlinne's Prophecy through the entire series, it was a major plot point in the first Witcher. The problem was that we finished off the Wild Hunt and straight afterwards, Ciri decides she needs to tackle the White Frost right loving now and no, she's not going to bother letting anybody know that she intends to potentially kill herself doing so. Ereden's body wasn't even cold before she decided to do this. I don't think we even had the chance to confirm he was dead.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

CJacobs posted:

I hope I'm not the only person that does this when they blow up monster nests.

edit: Another, more stationary one:

I seriously have like 20 of these

You're not the only one at all, I love doing that.

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqz5dbs5zmo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its a real bummer that doing main quests can auto fail you on side quests with no warning.

also i kinda hate punching only fights because i always get my rear end kicked for 10 seconds trying to use signs, items, swords and getting denied. but it seems like some of these fights allow different combinations of abilities and some allow none and its pretty stupid.

otherwise great game.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Generic Monk posted:

In other news I really should've replayed the previous games (or at least 2) before playing this; in my struggle to remember the exact events of the second game I said I killed Letho (because I remembered him being a Bad Nasty Man) but then I remembered he was actually kind of a baller and I'd like to have met him under better circumstances. oops
I pretty much chose all the options that let more people live so that I get more content in Witcher 3. I remembered exactly who I killed in Witcher 2 and why but if said that somebody died then the only thing I'd accomplish is not getting an extra cameo.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Real hurthling! posted:

its a real bummer that doing main quests can auto fail you on side quests with no warning.

There's only really two quests this is relevant for, and both of them are just alternative ways of doing things.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Randomzx posted:

Seriously the Witcher 3's writing got really messy and rushed near the end. Especially since it started making up and contradicting what the white frost really is, and forgotten why the Wild Hunt needed Ciri in the first place (it was extremely difficult to travel between worlds and they could only reliably do it by sending their spectral image instead of physical bodies, thus they need Ciri's power and bloodline to create the gate they need to invade). Then again they've also forget to characterize what the wild hunt was really about and what kind of people they really are.

There's a more indepth discussion of the writing's weakness in this thread.

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/46571-Why-the-main-narrative-in-the-last-third-of-the-game-is-a-bad-hot-mess-major-spoilers!!!
This is true for the previous Witcher games as well. They all have a good beginning and middle but the story falls apart near the end.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I've got a story question for you guys who have read the books. I'm doing the Isle of Mists quest and I went to try to recruit allies from the emperor but Geralt refused the help if Morvran Voorhis was leading the troops. Why? What did Voorhis do to piss Geralt off enough that he'd refuse a banner of soldiers?

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

CJacobs posted:

I hope I'm not the only person that does this when they blow up monster nests.

edit: Another, more stationary one:

I seriously have like 20 of these
I didn't even realize you could loot nests until I saw a tooltip because I was too busy doing stuff like this. :negative:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

RatHat posted:

I've got a story question for you guys who have read the books. I'm doing the Isle of Mists quest and I went to try to recruit allies from the emperor but Geralt refused the help if Morvran Voorhis was leading the troops. Why? What did Voorhis do to piss Geralt off enough that he'd refuse a banner of soldiers?

I also didn't understand this conversation.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So I'm finally making progress again, but all this talk about "bad", "best" endings etc, is worrying me a bit. Is that people just framing what happens to Velen or am I worrying for no reason?

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
I was incredible annoyed when my imported game treated Letho as dead. I never once killed him in Witcher 2 because he offered me vodka right at the end of the game and it would have been rude to kill him after that.

Hank Morgan fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jun 14, 2015

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

I also didn't understand this conversation.

I think the issue was not so much the person of Voorhis himself, but simply that a high-ranking and completely loyal Nilfgaardian would be leading the banner. If it was just a bunch of soldiers to be placed directly under Geralt's command he could just tell them to gently caress off afterwards, but somebody like Voorhis would likely get ideas like "let's kidnap Ciri and bring her back to Emhyr right now, also maybe kill everybody in Kaer Morhen to prevent any complications.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
Questions about choices that lead to the ending, specifically Ciri meeting with Emhyr. Is is the meeting itself that leads towards Ciri becoming Empress, or is it Geralt accepting the gold from Emhyr? If Geralt rejects the gold, does Ciri end up being a Witcher (assuming all the other requirements for that specific ending are met)?

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Zakmonster posted:

Questions about choices that lead to the ending, specifically Ciri meeting with Emhyr. Is is the meeting itself that leads towards Ciri becoming Empress, or is it Geralt accepting the gold from Emhyr? If Geralt rejects the gold, does Ciri end up being a Witcher (assuming all the other requirements for that specific ending are met)?

Accepting or rejecting the gold is one of the triggers determining if Ciri dies or not.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Zakmonster posted:

The meeting just opens up the possibility. The few choices you can make (one of which is whether to accept the gold) determine Ciri's fate.

M31
Jun 12, 2012

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Also, my "track the Djinn with Yennefr" quest is hilariously bugged. She just sits there in the boat and keeps telling me to get in, and when I do, nothing happens
That's not a bug, you have to walk to the front of the boat an interact with the bench. This also had me reloading multiple times.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Lareine posted:

Speaking of endings, does anybody have the list of crucial choices you make that determine the ending you get?

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/the-witcher-3-endings-fates-of-ciri-and-geralt
Super spoilers obviously

If don't wanna read it and you're afraid of a "bad" ending, the general theme is to build Ciris self-esteem and resolve by being nice, but not overbearing. Or something.
Sometimes a girl just has to smash an ancient Elven laboratory because she's mildly annoyed, it's ok.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jun 14, 2015

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

RatHat posted:

I have 1 1/2 books still to read, and so far, they don't have any beef. They actually seem amicable enough during the game (past the prologue, anyway) - he'll bet his amazing saddle on a horse race against you and all that. I think it might just be a matter of principle - can't have a Nilfie in charge of the defense of Kaer Morhen.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Question about the Kaer Morhen fight: Does Lambert die if you don't have Kiera around or does something else happen?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

sauer kraut posted:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/the-witcher-3-endings-fates-of-ciri-and-geralt
Super spoilers obviously

If don't wanna read it and you're afraid of a "bad" ending, the general theme is to build Ciris self-esteem and resolve by being nice, but not overbearing. Or something.
Sometimes a girl just has to smash an ancient Elven laboratory because she's mildly annoyed, it's ok.

Huh. Funny how offering to be with Ciri while talking to the sorceresses was considered "wrong". Sorceresses can be scary! I'd want Geralt on standby.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Lareine posted:

Huh. Funny how offering to be with Ciri while talking to the sorceresses was considered "wrong". Sorceresses can be scary! I'd want Geralt on standby.

Ciri is even scarier when you think about the extent of her powers, and I can see why the decision to encourage her confidence in that fact is cast in the light it is.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That decision makes sense when you frame it against all the other favourable choices in terms of getting an ending, but only in that context, imo.

You get the best ending(s) by supporting Ciri to live her own life as she sees fit and by encouraging her to be herself and supporting her when she needs it. Having to back her up against Eilhart does fly in the face of that but I don't think it's the kind of thing that should factor into an ending.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
"I saw you in Vizima!" - Viziman Palace Guard

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Scandalous posted:

"I saw you in Vizima!" - Viziman Palace Guard

Technically correct: the best kind of correct.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
I'm level 15 in Novigrad. At what point in the game you start getting armor that doesn't look like random pieces of fabric sewn together by a mentally ill person?

What's with all this DLC you can download, but it just hangs in there with the message "waiting to be installed"? Is it not actually released yet or what? (PS4)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

In regards to Eredin not having any characterization, yeah I agree and it's really weird when he was a preexisting character in the novels. The one thing they do show you, him poisoning Auberon, was different (and longer) and Eredin comes off as a prick the whole way through. I don't know why they changed that part because it could have been a Ciri gameplay section where it goes a little more in depth with the Aen Elle world that gives more characterization for both Eredin and Avellac'h.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

You can. Just write the date and time of the save file on a piece of paper, then write any name you want. Though for you maybe a picture would be easier?

My girlfriend and I both have our own playthroughs, so that would be a lot of saves to write down, which is a stupid thing to have to do in 2015. We've just been cut/pasting our save files when we switch off, which is a pain. Though for you I doubt that is a problem, you horse's rear end.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Metanaut posted:

What's with all this DLC you can download, but it just hangs in there with the message "waiting to be installed"? Is it not actually released yet or what? (PS4)

You should just have to reload a save when you get that message.

Also Voorhis is such a bro. I love that guy as much as Roche and how he keeps turning up.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You must be sharing a user profile for this to be a problem since saves are stored in My Documents.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I was kind of wary about Roche since his guerrilla warfare thing seemed a bit misplaced , but him dropping everything and bringing along his top soldier to help you out in your time of need definitely cemented him as a true Bro(che)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Metanaut posted:

I'm level 15 in Novigrad. At what point in the game you start getting armor that doesn't look like random pieces of fabric sewn together by a mentally ill person?

If you want armor sets you should start doing the Witcher armor treasure hunts. There are three sets (Cat, Griffin, Bear) which are respectively light, medium and heavy armors with some added bonuses. They also have their own swords and are upgradable multiple times.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Calaveron posted:

I was kind of wary about Roche since his guerrilla warfare thing seemed a bit misplaced , but him dropping everything and bringing along his top soldier to help you out in your time of need definitely cemented him as a true Bro(che)

The funniest thing I found with Roche was during the "Old Pals" gwent quest Roche sucks horribly at gwent with a deck loaded with siege engineers and poor loving infantry cards.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Metanaut posted:

Find the witcher gear

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Calaveron posted:

He only brought her because she tracked him down, he didn't intend to do it.
CDPR dropped the ball so hard on that, Ves even gave me poo poo for not inviting her. Like I ever had the opportunity, she wouldn't even talk to me in Broche's camp.

E: vvvv Yes he says that and then they specifically say he didn't want to bring her but she tracked him down.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 14, 2015

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

GrossMurpel posted:

He only brought her because she tracked him down, he didn't intend to do it.
CDPR dropped the ball so hard on that, Ves even gave me poo poo for not inviting her. Like I ever had the opportunity, she wouldn't even talk to me in Broche's camp.

I think he actually says something like "I might even bring Ves" but as seen in the "Eye for an Eye" quest, he's had it with her bullshit.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I must say this game has incredible Polish version. Normally I hate playing games in Polish as they're badly written or the voice acting sucks (although the previous Witcher games were ok I guess) but people who did this one are straight up genius.

The dialogues and voice acting are really great but it's the random open world conversations and one-liners that regularly make me laugh like a maniac. I have no idea if the English version is like because the whole thing is built on the creative use of swear words, neologisms, slang, words associated with certain Polish social groups or sometimes even very vague and strictly Polish references.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Palpek posted:

I must say this game has incredible Polish version. Normally I hate playing games in Polish as they're badly written or the voice acting sucks (although the previous Witcher games were ok I guess) but people who did this one are straight up genius.

The dialogues and voice acting are really great but it's the random open world conversations and one-liners that regularly make me laugh like a maniac. I have no idea if the English version is like because the whole thing is built on the creative use of swear words, neologisms, slang, words associated with certain Polish social groups or sometimes even very vague and strictly Polish references.

the english ambient voices are mostly all people spitting at the witcher

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

limited posted:

I didn't even realize you could loot nests until I saw a tooltip because I was too busy doing stuff like this. :negative:

Wait...WHAT?

Anything good? Or just random monster bits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Snuffman posted:

Wait...WHAT?

Anything good? Or just random monster bits?

Sometimes you get rings and stuff, but it's not like you're not drowning in gold past Velen.