Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
I presume this is some use of the word "skinhead" with which I am unfamiliar, as I presume the BBC would push back on the idea of The Doctor dressing like a neo-Nazi....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

pgroce posted:

I presume this is some use of the word "skinhead" with which I am unfamiliar, as I presume the BBC would push back on the idea of The Doctor dressing like a neo-Nazi....

This is a mischaracterisation of the fashion (which featured far right, far left, apolitical and everything in between as adherents - which started out connected to ska and reggae music more than anything else) driven by newspapers using "skinhead" as a shorthand for "far right agitator" even when they didn't follow the fashion.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 18, 2015

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Could you give us some examples? And the 'Skinhead 3' take on Twelve's outfit if possible, I really want to see it. As far as I know, the first picture of Twelve's outfit we got was the one with his hand held out to the camera, which didn't strike me as especially 'punk'.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Skinheads weren't punks, more of a development of the mod scene

[edit]

That's the "skinhead 3rd Doctor"

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 18, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's certainly overlap, though, especially once you get into the late 1970s and had stuff like 2 Tone and oi emerging out of the punk scene (though there was cross-pollination there with northern soul and any number of other things, obviously).

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

pgroce posted:

Think a Clockwork Orange, not American History X.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Could you give us some examples? And the 'Skinhead 3' take on Twelve's outfit if possible, I really want to see it. As far as I know, the first picture of Twelve's outfit we got was the one with his hand held out to the camera, which didn't strike me as especially 'punk'.

Skinheads were more of a working class outgrowth of the mod movement, but Craig Ferguson rocked a skinhead influenced look when he and Peter Capaldi were in The Dreamboys together. This was around the time that Post-Punk and New Wave were coalescing though.

Republican Vampire fucked around with this message at 07:42 on May 19, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's an example, which is approximately contemporaneous with Ferguson and Capaldi's Dreamboys years.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Here is a movie all about it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Is_England

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
STOP IT.

(actually I'm pretty ok with her in McCoy's jumper)

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The_Doctor posted:

STOP IT.

(actually I'm pretty ok with her in McCoy's jumper)

Is that her stunt double in the background wearing the Davison/C Baker collar?
Looks like they may be working that Zygon thing in after all, possibly.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 24, 2015

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Pesky Splinter posted:

Is that her stunt double in the background wearing the Davison/C Baker collar?
Looks like they may be working that Zygon thing in after all.

Oh good call. To which we ask "why does she need a stunt double?" Or maybe it's a body double..?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The_Doctor posted:

body double..?

That's the phrase I was looking for, thanks.
Could be either/or. They might be trying to cover some shots and only have a limited time to do it requiring a double (I dunno, running down a corridor or something? But also needing the actress to do stuff in a different local?), or a stunt, but I'm gonna guess Zygon stand-in.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 24, 2015

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So, two things. Firstly, this coat:

And secondly, Rigsy from Flatline is back!

http://blogtorwho.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/doctor-who-series-9-ep-10-news.html

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

You beat me the Rigsy story. It's in an episode being written by Sarah Dollard, whose work I'm not familiar with, but includes Being Human, so at least she knows the genre.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Oh my god please let the sweater be gone for good

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

The_Doctor posted:

So, two things. Firstly, this coat:

Introducing Peter Capaldi as Jon Pertwee, indeed.

That coat looks ace on him. Definitely makes the whole ensemble pop a bit more, it was pretty boring before (when it wasn't appalling, looking at you holey sweater and polka dot shirt)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Barry Foster posted:

That coat looks ace on him. Definitely makes the whole ensemble pop a bit more, it was pretty boring before (when it wasn't appalling, looking at you holey sweater and polka dot shirt)

They paid Noel Edmonds good money for that shirt!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Hey now I liked hoodie!Doctor. He rocks the lazy college student look. Still the new coat is awesome.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Interestingly Joivan Wade (Rigsy) tweeted that he's going to be in Cardiff for three weeks. I'd infer from that he's in more than one episode.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Barry Foster posted:

Introducing Peter Capaldi as Jon Pertwee, indeed.

Now he just has to continue his tradition of recreating Pertwee promo shots with this one:

:allears:

Alternate version:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Interestingly Joivan Wade (Rigsy) tweeted that he's going to be in Cardiff for three weeks. I'd infer from that he's in more than one episode.

I can keep my fingers crossed that this means they're planning to go back to having more than one companion.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

I can keep my fingers crossed that this means they're planning to go back to having more than one companion.

From io9's Spoilers today:

Doctor Who

The Game and Being Human writer Sarah Dollard will script the tenth episode of season 9. The episode will also see the return of Jovian Wade as his character Rigsy, from last year’s “Flatline”. As the official BBC site says, “As a companion to ‘Doctor’ Oswald, Rigsy demonstrated many of the attributes that have helped make the real Doctor’s companions so indispensable.”

Dollard is the second female writer to write for Who this year along with Catherine Tregenna, after half a dozen years with no women writing for the show. [BBC]

Here's hoping! He was really good.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Oh my god Rigsy as a new companion sounds fantastic, definitely making me look forward to the new season more.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The new blood in the writing is also kind of exciting, what with two writers who only wrote for season 8 (Mathieson and Harness) and two writers who are brand new to the show coming on. That's five episodes written by people who are new to the show in the past two years.

On most shows that would maybe be some cause for concern, but first of all, it's hard for something to be "not Doctor Who," and secondly, whatever his flaws may be, Moffat does enough script editing that he'll work out the kinks if people don't "get" the characters.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

This is my first time in Cardiff during production of Doctor Who and it's kind of cool seeing props and cast being moved around the studio. Including Jovian. Good, geeky rushes of excitement every day.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

This is my first time in Cardiff during production of Doctor Who and it's kind of cool seeing props and cast being moved around the studio. Including Jovian. Good, geeky rushes of excitement every day.

Give us all your news and rumours. We demand it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Yeah, wait what a Who thread regular is hanging around the studios in Cardiff?!

Daily reports.

Take that, Gallifreybase. :smug:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Astroman posted:

Yeah, wait what a Who thread regular is hanging around the studios in Cardiff?!

Daily reports.

Take that, Gallifreybase. :smug:

I'm doing editing work on another show that they make here. I wish I saw more than I do. Mainly I just see brief glimpses of things being moved around. I do however eat in the same canteen as the Doctor Who crew, but I've yet to meet anyone actually famous from the show. It's good fun though, and obviously in the future I'd love to move up and work on it in some capacity.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

PriorMarcus posted:

Mainly I just see brief glimpses of things being moved around.

tell us the things

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back
Is there any credibility to the rumor of this (S9) being Moffats last season?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Last I heard he was going to do at least one more after this.

It is his dream job, what he's worked his whole life towards. Plus as a fan he might have some trepidation as to who they will put in there, if he doesn't have a say or the ability to train a successor. He might be waiting til he can convince someone like Gatiss to be available.

He's not that old either. He could do this for a long time to come if he wanted. On the other hand, when you read about his earlier writings and fanon theories and whatnot, he seems to have worked a lot of that into the plots of the last several years. If he hasn't really had any new ideas for Doctor Who since the 90s and he's used all those, he might be running out of steam.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah, he's signed up for Season 10.

http://blogtorwho.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/steven-moffat-on-board-for-doctor-who.html

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

Is there any credibility to the rumor of this (S9) being Moffats last season?

Almost certainly not. In fact I'm pretty sure he's said the exact opposite.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

drat. I stand by season five, it's amazing, but since the start of 6.5 Moffat has been wearing out his welcome for me. I don't feel like the things that turn me off the current show are going to go away until Moffat leaves, and even then it might not. That's just my opinion though I'm not saying 6.5 onwards is objectively bad.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 14, 2015

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'm back on board with Moffat after last series in general and the Christmas special in particular. Just as long as they can keep that level of quality up and avoid another magic forest episode.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I would agree with you, but then I mostly loved Season 8, giving me new hope for Moffat's continued tenure. From what little we know about next season, it sounds very interesting and different. Plus, IMO Capaldi and Coleman have terrific chemistry, which really helps. Also, so far production hasn't been a complete shitshow, like it was apparently from season 6 to most of the way through 7. all good things now. Plus Missy was Moffat's idea and she's terrific. :3:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I am a little unsure about Missy returning; I hope she doesn't end up overexposed like the Paternoster Gang.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

2house2fly posted:

I'm back on board with Moffat after last series in general and the Christmas special in particular. Just as long as they can keep that level of quality up and avoid another magic forest episode.

Hell, it's okay if every season has one magic forest episode, they can't all be gold. But yeah, season 8 was good and 9 is actually looking really interesting. I would guess that Capaldi will also stay for at least 10, which lets them get some momentum going. I wouldn't be surprised if Capaldi stuck it out fr 4-5 years, although he's really throwing himself into it whole hog with all of the events he attends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

I'm fine with a cruddy episode here or there (or even if most of the episodes are not great) its the lack of multiparters and the importance of the meta-plot that's dragging it down for me. Even the good episodes feel rushed, like they don't have enough time to develop their characters and locations. Nightmare in Silver would have made an amazing two-parter. As it stands it's a (again, in my opinion) decent little episode.

• Locked thread