Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

You don't seem to have any goddamn idea how hard computer security is.

Like, just install antivirus and keep your wordpress install updated, duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

whydirt posted:

Anyone who think that Jeb's first name is the anchor around his campaign might want to take a step back and think for a moment.

This is what I was going to post. You can go with just the first name if it's Jeb, that's fairly unique if somewhat silly. However, if he goes by John then he'd be forced to include that uhhh... slightly polarizing last name as well.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Rasczak posted:

This is what I was going to post. You can go with just the first name if it's Jeb, that's fairly unique if somewhat silly. However, if he goes by John then he'd be forced to include that uhhh... slightly polarizing last name as well.

He could always go by John Ellis.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Nintendo Kid posted:

Even when I voted via E-mail through a special program in my voting state that is, afaik, only allowed for government/military employees who are on mission outside the state, it still required that I apply online for the form, print out the form, put pen to paper, scan the form, waive my confidentiality, and attach substantiating documentation showing that I was stationed out of state. If I were in state it just might have been faster to drive or walk to the nearest polling station.

Also I almost certainly will be notified some time in the next week or two that I'm among those targeted by the OPM hacking, which means all those nice people who provided me their full names, past names, birthdates, addresses, work addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, and in some cases SSNs so I could get a clearance are likely also affected.

I'm not super confident about online voting programs avoiding a clusterfuck.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Nintendo Kid posted:

Well we don't have years to fix the election system after a problem occurs, genius. You need to do a reelection close up and any first go at fixing the problems is likely to fail - have you ever even played any online games? They have people fuccking around with it just for the hell of it, instead of the added incentive of actually affecting a government.

The difference is that there is no one who only has mail access at work, who is also currently registered to vote.

You could just re-run the election without electronic voting if it really wasn't repairable. Since it's simply an add-on, It's not that difficult. I mean, what if some guy broke into an office containing physical ballots and swapped out the boxes? What would you do next time? Probably have more security, right? And why is an electronic hack so much more likely to happen then a break-in scenario?

American elections are tamper evident, not tamper proof. It's very hard to rig because making all the totals add up correctly is difficult, and the payoff is not very high. You're imagining there's some sort of central database where I can just flip some 1s over to 0s, but that isn't how elections work in the US.

And how exactly do you see this tampering happening? Is it an overt hack, wherein a person is impersonated? Then it'd be obvious what was happening when that person attempted to vote. Is it more covert, like you're flipping ballots? Then you'd find out when comparing the online vote tallies to the paper receipt tallies - it would not certify.

And seriously, you don't have to vote at work. Just like you don't have to bring your mail ballot to work. So the "boss example" is just dumb as heck.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

He could always go by John Ellis.

That would make it even more obvious that he's deliberately trying to downplay his last name if it's the only thing being omitted.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Online voting would create a mess of unnecessary and redundant bureaucracy. The NSA already knows the political positions of all Americans, and as such they should be allowed to cast your vote for you. Thanks NSA!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

goose fleet posted:

What's O'Malley like as a candidate? I haven't really heard much about him, or from his end.

By many accounts, he's a brilliant retail politician, great at remembering the names of family members of the local precinct captains or sitting and listening intently to individual voters' stories. He also has the quirky Irish-bro attitude going on. He has vaguely leftish policy positions that he delivers as if everyone already agrees with him, but is basically in line with the middle of the Democratic party.

In other words: he's Joe Biden.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Concerned Citizen posted:

And seriously, you don't have to vote at work. Just like you don't have to bring your mail ballot to work. So the "boss example" is just dumb as heck.

When E-voting is possible, I am certain that employers will still give their employees hours or the day off to go vote and not make them vote during breaks.

e:

Bryter posted:

Online voting would create a mess of unnecessary and redundant bureaucracy. The NSA already knows the political positions of all Americans, and as such they should be allowed to cast your vote for you. Thanks NSA!

I am pretty curious as to how accurately the NSA could predict elections if they were tasked with figuring out what the results would be. It would be really cool to see the results from a perspective of curiosity.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
We should be a little concerned that enabling online voting will lead to Ron Paul being elected to every office.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

You could just re-run the election without electronic voting if it really wasn't repairable. Since it's simply an add-on, It's not that difficult. I mean, what if some guy broke into an office containing physical ballots and swapped out the boxes? What would you do next time? Probably have more security, right? And why is an electronic hack so much more likely to happen then a break-in scenario?

American elections are tamper evident, not tamper proof. It's very hard to rig because making all the totals add up correctly is difficult, and the payoff is not very high.

And how exactly do you see this tampering happening? Is it an overt hack, wherein a person is impersonated? Then it'd be obvious what was happening when that person attempted to vote. Is it more covert, like you're flipping ballots? Then you'd find out when comparing the online vote tallies to the paper receipt tallies - it would not certify.

Have you thought about this, at all? Now we not only need the online voting system, but we have to maintain the physical system as well, just in case, and be ready to pull it out when necessary. How totally economical. And how many physical break ins have stolen the PII of 4 million people?

I love it, too, the idea that computer security is just dialing up the "security" knob, just like a store can hire more security guards.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

ohgodwhat posted:

And how many physical break ins have stolen the PII of 4 million people?

I want to see Wolf Blitzer covering hour 15 of people loading up banker boxes full of votes and PII while still waiting for the cops to show up.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

You could just re-run the election without electronic voting if it really wasn't repairable.

So then what was the goddamn point of spending all the money to run the online election process? Why spend it on that instead of, say, on early voting for the entire country?

You do if, say, you do not have mail in voting in your state, your normal voting booth hours for that state make it impossible to vote in person without partially ditching work, and you don't have internet access at home (again, 20% of Americans don't). If you're going to vote at all, it'll have to be at work.

American elections are tamper evident, not tamper proof. It's very hard to rig because making all the totals add up correctly is difficult, and the payoff is not very high. You're imagining there's some sort of central database where I can just flip some 1s over to 0s, but that isn't how elections work in the US.

I'm not imagining that, but it's what you're asking for!

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I don't support online voting. I DO support vote-by-mail, which is really cool, when I remember to do it. Which I totally do when it's important, like when there's a ballot initiative that matters, or of course presidential elections. Having to go to an actual polling place is sooooo outdated. Washington state best state. :colbert:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

goose fleet posted:

What's O'Malley like as a candidate? I haven't really heard much about him, or from his end.

Tommy Carcetti

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Are Hillary, Sanders, and O'Malley the only major Democrat candidates so far? Is anyone else expected to run?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

goose fleet posted:

Are Hillary, Sanders, and O'Malley the only major Democrat candidates so far? Is anyone else expected to run?

Hillary is the only major candidate so far.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

goose fleet posted:

Lincoln Chafee and Jim Webb (has he announced?) are running also. Hillary is the only major candidate, but we are 8 months out.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I'm kind of curious if there are any left-wing political figures that could put up a serious challenge to Hillary.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Nintendo Kid posted:

Hillary is the only major candidate

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

goose fleet posted:

I'm kind of curious if there are any left-wing political figures that could put up a serious challenge to Hillary.

In a world where over 47% of those voting voted for Mitt loving Romney just 3 years ago? No.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

By many accounts, he's a brilliant retail politician, great at remembering the names of family members of the local precinct captains or sitting and listening intently to individual voters' stories. He also has the quirky Irish-bro attitude going on. He has vaguely leftish policy positions that he delivers as if everyone already agrees with him, but is basically in line with the middle of the Democratic party.

In other words: he's Joe Biden.

Biden can be interesting just by flashing a smile. O'Malley rides an enormous horse in period costume and somehow manages to remain totally uninteresting.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

You could just re-run the election without electronic voting if it really wasn't repairable.

What about when the breach is uncovered 4 months after the election?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Or, you know, you could have a mostly manual system, like today, with a lot of in-person oversight, and not a lot of single points of failure, so at most you have to recount or redo a couple of districts.

Do you even understand the kind of mess that re-running an election would entail? And that's assuming people actually detected the fraud.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

whydirt posted:

He spoke at my wife's graduation in 2011. I was not particularly impressed. He wasn't bad, just very bland and non-engaging. He seems like more liberal version of Evan Bayh and destined to be a perineal VP option.

Do you mean perennial or did I just miss the joke?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Iowa Snow King posted:

It obviously means that O'Malley will forever taint the VP nomination.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

There's too many security breaches right now to think e-voting is a viable option. Until that changes, if ever, it will be old-fashioned polling stations and getting a congress elected willing to restore the Voting Rights Act. There is also the option of more states switching to vote by mail. Oregon has been voting by mail since 1999 and it's working great for them. Washington also votes by mail, Colorado did it for the first time last year and California also is phasing it in. Last year Oregon's voter turnout was 69.5%. That's LOW for them.

Michigan currently has one day to vote. Polls are open from 7 am to 8 pm. There is no early voting, and absentee ballots are only issued for a valid reason. Michigan has a dismally low voter turnout and gerrymandered districts, which means political parties have entrenched themselves and no amount of voting can pry them out. in the last election 41% voter turnout ensured Rick Snyder got another four years.

There is an effort in the state to put a referendum proposal on the 2016 ballot to make Michigan a vote by mail state like Oregon. The petition language is being worked on, and the group leadership is meeting with different county political parties to get their support and raise funds.

http://letsvotemichigan.com/

If you're interested in the long, sordid history of what happened to Michigan's constitutionally protected bipartisan redistricting laws, you can read it here.

http://www.masoncountypress.com/2015/05/31/michigans-redistricting-web-part-1/
http://www.masoncountypress.com/2015/06/14/michigans-redistricting-web-part-2/
http://www.masoncountypress.com/2015/06/14/michigans-redistricting-web-part-3/

Part three deals with the most recent history of redistricting in Michigan and why it's turning into a really big problem for the state.

Beforehand
Oct 14, 2012

Iowa Snow King posted:

I was sitting at home like "Wait..*giggles*", but nobody else seemed to notice and I was going to let it slide.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Hillary Clinton was in Burlington and Des Moines, Iowa. Here is her full speech from Des Moines. She also talked about the trade deal.

Bernie Sanders was in Waterloo, Indianola (video of speech), and Iowa Falls 1. Iowa Falls 2. Also full audio of his Marshalltown visit yesterday.

Stumbled onto this Rick Perry and Marco Rubio interview with WHOtv in Des Moines.

Jim Webb was in Panora, IA were Santorum drew a crowd of 1 (eventually 4). He also stopped in Urbandale, IA.

Don't know about any Republican things today. Huckabee and Jindal were in South Carolina still, but couldn't find where. The rest might still be at the 1st Annual Mitt Foreign Policy Summit.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 15, 2015

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

goose fleet posted:

Let me make this calculus easier for you: there are no left-wing political figures in America. (Bless Bernie's little heart, but he's not on the wing of the left.)

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Beforehand posted:

I was sitting at home like "Wait..*giggles*", but nobody else seemed to notice and I was going to let it slide.

Autocorrect is a dirty, beautiful mind.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Risk of being detected matters because a fraudulent election is pointless if the fraud is detected. Then you can do the election again without fraud, or throw out fraudulent votes. So a Chinese government hacker's plan would badly backfire if they attempted to rig an American election.

Or in a 5-4 "consideration limited to the present circumstances", the Supreme Court orders the attempts to get it sorted out to stop.

BristolSOF
Jan 19, 2003

BristolSOF fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 16, 2015

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Gyges posted:

I mean, the benefits of Bernie's America are great but I'm just not so sure about the hedonistic culture that encourages 12 year olds to get pregnant.

That's family leave, not maternity leave. :rolleyes:

I assume that could include such events as weddings, funerals, *cough*custody proceedings*cough*, as well as giving birth.

(to be honest, the first thing I asked before I read the twitter was, "The one on the left, or the one on the right?" :haw: )

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

ohgodwhat posted:

Have you thought about this, at all? Now we not only need the online voting system, but we have to maintain the physical system as well, just in case, and be ready to pull it out when necessary. How totally economical. And how many physical break ins have stolen the PII of 4 million people?

I love it, too, the idea that computer security is just dialing up the "security" knob, just like a store can hire more security guards.

Not to "pull it out as necessary." Online voting would be supplemental, not replace physical in-person voting. This is similar to how states implement online voter registration.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Not to "pull it out as necessary." Online voting would be supplemental, not replace physical in-person voting. This is similar to how states implement online voter registration.

What's the point of doing it at all though?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

So I guess question must be asked: On June 16th, will Trump announce he is running?

I'm saying yes

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

mdemone posted:

Let me make this calculus easier for you: there are no left-wing political figures in America. (Bless Bernie's little heart, but he's not on the wing of the left.)

He's certainly not off the far-left. (Yes, yes, I get it: we're talking about America, where the "center" is between "batshit insane far-right" and "moderate conservative" practically anywhere else.)

Claiming there are none is a bit extreme. Some may be more or less compromised on various issues, but America does have a "left-wing". It's just pathetically tiny compared to the right-wing DLC wing of the Democratic party and their batshit insane allies in the gibbering insane blob that calls itself the Republican party these days.

That's why, while I support Bernie, I've no illusions that his campaign will achieve much, if anything. I won't support or vote for Hillary, though. I see no need to vote for any Republican, and that includes moderates who are masquerading as Democrats. They, and their supporters, are the problem here.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

mdemone posted:

He actually is, though. Just because he's not a radical socialist/communist does not mean he can't count as "left-wing." He believes in trade unionism, socialized healthcare, publicly-funded elections, and a bunch of other stuff that is quite clearly left-of-center by any measurement.

The whole "no true socialist" thing is so tedious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Vox Nihili posted:

He actually is, though. Just because he's not a radical socialist/communist does not mean he can't count as "left-wing." He believes in trade unionism, socialized healthcare, publicly-funded elections, and a bunch of other stuff that is quite clearly left-of-center by any measurement.

The whole "no true socialist" thing is so tedious.

Left-of-center is not the same thing as left-wing. The "wing" of a normal distribution is very well-defined as the range outside one standard deviation from the mean.

Maybe this is just me splitting hairs, but would you call Mitch McConnell right-wing because he is right-of-center?

• Locked thread