Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Gardenchat:

Finally got around to planting a small herb garden (thyme, cilantro, basil), a couple of tomato plants, and a chili pepper plant.

Grasschat:

gently caress. I cut it too short. :negative:

you might struggle with that cilantro, i've always had a bitch of a time getting it to grow in summer
not that the stuff i've just planted is doing any loving better, mind you

enjoy your delicious fresh basil though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

man if i ever own a house gardening should never be a problem for me. Me being a hispanic island mexican hardworking dude.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Two Finger posted:

you might struggle with that cilantro, i've always had a bitch of a time getting it to grow in summer

Cilantro is surprisingly heat sensitive, don't plant it anywhere that gets too much direct sunlight.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Two Finger posted:

I have the cilantro in a little greenhouse structure that I can pull inside when it's hot. The rest is outside though.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Gardening chat is the daddest of dad chat

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

moved a fuckload of stuff this past weekend

cant wait to move in to my ghost house

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Rad Lieutenant posted:

Gardening chat is the daddest of dad chat

gently caress you gardening owns you just take it real easy dig some stuff plant some stuff have a cold refreshing beverage or three
then a few months later you have delicious fresh free food

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Two Finger posted:

gently caress you gardening owns you just take it real easy dig some stuff plant some stuff have a cold refreshing beverage or three
then a few months later you have delicious fresh free food

I never said dad chat was a bad thing. But gardening is the daddest.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

I googled Mexican Lawn Crew to make a joke, first link was to this:

Beats my joke.

Edit: Oh poo poo

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Is that a loving lawn mower forum

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Even better.

Its a forum for all of lawn care.

Click Me

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I came across a forum of beef jerky enthusiasts. There's a community for everything.

http://www.theonion.com/article/man-on-internet-almost-falls-into-world-of-diy-mus-17013

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Rad Lieutenant posted:

I never said dad chat was a bad thing. But gardening is the daddest.

oh well carry on then

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

holocaust bloopers posted:

I came across a forum of beef jerky enthusiasts.

That's SA though

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

anyone got a recommendation for some good Adirondack-style chairs

new house has a massive front porch and i need to maximize my dad-lounging

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Just tore into a trimmer/edger to see why it went from working great to not working at all. Figured it was electrical, and found that one of the battery contacts (it's one of those B&D things that runs on the same 18v battery as a bunch of other tools) was pushed in and probably not making contacts. Fixed it, put it back together, nothing happens. Well gently caress. Test the switch, seems to work fine. Connect the wires from the motor directly to the battery, nothing happens. So I swing it around and start removing the dozen screws from the motor end to open the case, then pull the trimmer wire thing off, then the rock shield...and about 30 loving earwigs explode out of all the tiny nooks and crannies that were previously hidden under the shield. WHAT THE gently caress. I beat the trimmer on the ground to make sure there aren't any more surprises like that, and open the case up...and a bunch of weird little beetle things go flying. They were living in with the motor for some reason. Also the remains of the motor's brushes came flying out in a cloud of dust, so yeah, that's toast.

Also found a nasty loving spider in the garage, it was in the black widows' usual corner, but not quite as spindly and definitely bigger than any widow I've ever seen. Today was just a day for creepy crawlies.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Well if this is dad chat for dad lounging on your dad porch, it would definitely be most dad to make them yourself.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

Well if this is dad chat for dad lounging on your dad porch, it would definitely be most dad to make them yourself.

it would be peak dad to make them myself but it would take time/energy/money to do so

i'd rather have a ready-made dad solution for lounging

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

it would be peak dad to make them myself but it would take time/energy/money to do so

i'd rather have a ready-made dad solution for lounging

Just get some from target. I got those higher-quality plastic ones and they are comfy.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Godholio posted:

Just tore into a trimmer/edger to see why it went from working great to not working at all. Figured it was electrical, and found that one of the battery contacts (it's one of those B&D things that runs on the same 18v battery as a bunch of other tools) was pushed in and probably not making contacts. Fixed it, put it back together, nothing happens. Well gently caress. Test the switch, seems to work fine. Connect the wires from the motor directly to the battery, nothing happens. So I swing it around and start removing the dozen screws from the motor end to open the case, then pull the trimmer wire thing off, then the rock shield...and about 30 loving earwigs explode out of all the tiny nooks and crannies that were previously hidden under the shield. WHAT THE gently caress. I beat the trimmer on the ground to make sure there aren't any more surprises like that, and open the case up...and a bunch of weird little beetle things go flying. They were living in with the motor for some reason. Also the remains of the motor's brushes came flying out in a cloud of dust, so yeah, that's toast.

Also found a nasty loving spider in the garage, it was in the black widows' usual corner, but not quite as spindly and definitely bigger than any widow I've ever seen. Today was just a day for creepy crawlies.

Burn your house to the ground.

Move.

Buy new poo poo when you get to new place.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I wanna grow some peppers & tomatoes & poo poo so I can make my own salsa. School me on salsa making GiP dads.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'm gonna make my own slow-cooked meat sauce this week. Got a 2 lb chuck roast to use.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
gently caress now I want to go buy some woodworking tools and build a kickass adirondack like the one I made in high school woodshop.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Soldier is in the same cinematic universe as Blade Runner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldier_%281998_American_film%29

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

lol can't wait to ruin blade runner for my film nerd bro in law

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

So while I can't join my fellow members of the old man group in various states of lawn care activities or gardening (I live in a second floor apartment yay), I do have 11 pounds of pork belly from a coworker who just got a hog butchered and will probably be embarking on my first forays into home charcuterie in the coming weeks. Pretty excited. It got cut into thirds so its probably going to go 1/3 homemade bacon, 1/3 pancetta, 1/3 Pork Belly Sliders with Celery/Apple slaw (trying to duplicate Spur Gastropub in Seattle's as they occupy a special place in my stomach).

e: Has someone made an Adirondack Iron Throne yet
2e: I should have GIS'd this first, of course they have.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 15, 2015

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

soldier was a much better film than it seemed on first watch

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Rad Lieutenant posted:

I wanna grow some peppers & tomatoes & poo poo so I can make my own salsa. School me on salsa making GiP dads.

One of my ex-gfs made the BEST mango salsa. I usually don't really care for that kind of thing, but it was amazing. I really need to find that recipe somewhere because I don't think I'll get from her.

I hope they combine it into the Star Wars universe just to piss off the hipster fans. There are few movies I've enjoyed less than Blade Runner. I think it was the theatrical version, but there's no way I could nut up enough to sit through a longer version.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Genocide Tendency posted:

Burn your house to the ground.

Move.

Buy new poo poo when you get to new place.

Seriously considering this, since I just found a little spindly guy (the ones that are so thin they're drat near transparent, legs bigger than their tiny bodies) chilling on a grape. In a bowl. In the fridge.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Oh my god Jurassic world was so my poo poo. Dinos owning humans and other dinos. Bert macklin, dino rider, fuckin ridin motorcycles with dinos. I feel the same as I did watching this as I did when I was 9 watching the original.

Movie good.

Edit

Oh and every fat person in the movie got eaten which I can agree with

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i finally got out to the movie theater with my wife this past weekend for the first time in like a year

avengers 2 was pretty good

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Oh my god Jurassic world was so my poo poo. Dinos owning humans and other dinos. Bert macklin, dino rider, fuckin ridin motorcycles with dinos. I feel the same as I did watching this as I did when I was 9 watching the original.

Movie good.

Edit

Oh and every fat person in the movie got eaten which I can agree with

I'm legit excited to see this with my old man next weekend.

He called me up a few weeks ago and asked if we could go see it together for Father's Day.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Told you guys. Jurassic World is excellent.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The Raptors were good dogges.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
They faltered as good dogges for just a bit when they saw a bigger dogge and decided to go Russian stray dogges on everybody.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mike-o posted:

They faltered as good dogges for just a bit when they saw a bigger dogge and decided to go Russian stray dogges on everybody.

And yet nothing of value was lost.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Mike-o posted:

I genuinely felt sad when right after the raptors turned one was turning back and then got blown up

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.

Rad Lieutenant posted:

4x large tomatoes, 1x large white onion, half a bunch of cilantro, 6 or so jalapenos, juice from one lime

Chop that poo poo up and mix it in a bowl. Throw it in the fridge overnight and you've got magic there my dude. You can adjust the ratios of poo poo and add spices if you want, but it's hella good just straight up.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I blend mine so it's easier to squirt out of a bottle onto tacos and such.

5-6 roma tomatoes, half a red onion, bunch of garlic cloves, 2-3 jalapenos, 1-2 habaneros, a bit of cilantro (use however much you like to taste), a bit of vinegar, a splash of lime juice, salt, chili powder, and paprika for color. Toss in a bit of a cinnamon at the end, but not much. Just a pinch will do.

You can adjust heat by how well you clean your peppers and swapping out habaneros for jalapenos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Funny you should mention because Woot.com has folding Adirondack chairs up for $40 today.

http://www.woot.com/offers/foldable-adirondack-chair-4?ref=cnt_dly_img

• Locked thread