Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

With the majority of what the average person uses a truck for only needs, you'll hit the payload capacity of the truck before you hit the volume capacity of the bed.

You can haul a pallet of mulch or a yard of gravel or a queen size bed with the tailgate down. or a god drat credenza.

There are things you need an 8 foot or 6.5 foot box for, but i went from having 8 foot boxes to having a 5.5 box with a tonneau, and need a truck box 5-10 times a month, but only need an 8 foot box every couple months.

You can get a 6.5' bed with pretty much any config these days. that'll haul 2 pallets, or a queen size bed with the tailgate up. I can't think of many things a half ton could haul 2 pallets of without being well over the payload capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

8ender posted:

What's the deal with newer pickups having such short beds? What the gently caress do you do with a bed barely larger than a kitchen stove?

I don't know poo poo about pickup trucks so I'm genuinely curious.

It still holds small things, but you have way more room inside the cab.
My 2011 Tundra Crewmax is super comfortable for 5 large adults. The bed is short, but with how tall the tailgate is I can still haul 8 foot boards. Or I just use my trailer.

I do honestly wish I had the larger bed, but you get a fullsize crewcab with a fullsize bed, suddenly your truck is 3000 feet long and can't park anywhere. I do horribly miss my 2000 Tacoma :( Man I loved that little truck.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Siochain posted:

It still holds small things, but you have way more room inside the cab.
My 2011 Tundra Crewmax is super comfortable for 5 large adults. The bed is short, but with how tall the tailgate is I can still haul 8 foot boards. Or I just use my trailer.

I do honestly wish I had the larger bed, but you get a fullsize crewcab with a fullsize bed, suddenly your truck is 3000 feet long and can't park anywhere. I do horribly miss my 2000 Tacoma :( Man I loved that little truck.

Soccer mom focus groups are the reason you can't get a true fullsized truck anymore.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

Soccer mom focus groups are the reason you can't get a true fullsized truck anymore.

what would you define as a true fullsized truck?

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
The Reynolds History Road Car Show is on this weekend in Wetaskiwin, come spend :10bux: to see some neat stuff:
http://history.alberta.ca/reynolds/specialevents/historyroad.aspx

Saturday is the busiest day, there are lots of cars, free museum admission with show pass.

Here's an educational in the worst musical sense video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meSoD_YceMs

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Powershift posted:

Worded that pretty poorly, what I meant to say is the general shortening up of trucks is basically down to the demographics shifting.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 10, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

But what would you consider the shortcomings?

They have more power, more torque, better fuel economy, more room inside, more cargo capacity in both weight and volume, they handle better, they ride better. . If you want something nicer that's an option. If you want a big honkin V8 and crank windows, that's an option.

The beltlines are higher and the box is taller, but there's still incredible visibility, and the taller box gives you reasonable amount of volume.

You can still get an extended cab half ton, or crew cab 1 ton with a long box. nothing has changed in availability in 40 years in that department.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 10, 2015

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Powershift posted:

But what would you consider the shortcomings?

They have more power, more torque, better fuel economy, more room inside, more cargo capacity in both weight and volume, they handle better, they ride better. . If you want something nicer that's an option. If you want a big honkin V8 and crank windows, that's an option.

The beltlines are higher and the box is taller, but there's still incredible visibility, and the taller box gives you reasonable amount of volume.

You can still get an extended cab half ton, or crew cab 1 ton with a long box. nothing has changed in availability in 40 years in that department.

I guess.

I'm just more bitter that the truck has replaced the luxury car for the average suburban family. That and most trucks I looked at that could fit my kart that weren't giagantic were pre 90s.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Powershift posted:

This is what I think of when I think "3000 feet long FULL SIZE truck"

Pickups have replaced the luxo-barge for only some upper-middle-class-ites, though those tend to be abundant in Alberta. Big stupid SUVs that never see gravel, let alone actual off-road use, are the replacement-of-choice for the 70's and 80's big Buicks and Crown Vics, at least from what I've seen.

If your purpose for buying a working vehicle like a truck is to transport another vehicle (cart, dirtbikes, snowmobiles, ATVs, etc.) then you can either get something built to tow ("soft roaders", think Toyota Highlander, are often configured for towing boats and other heavy trailers) or a truck with a flatbed. Both options are readily available both new and used. Trying to do it all - loose cargo, tall cargo, more than 2 people, and 800 kg of self-propelled funtoy - isn't going to work unless the truck is enormous.

And then, as has been mentioned, you can't park the drat thing.

My GF is against the idea of me owning multiple cars, but with the Ranger filling my current needs / wants and some savings I should be able to swing a trackable little car (Honda Prelude! Toyota MR2! Mazda Miata! Something utterly unreliable and Italian or malaise-era British!) within the next year or so. Or, I'll tell myself that to help me get to sleep. :)

More likely, in a couple of years my Ranger will be nosediving towards a wrecker's yard and I'll pick up slightly-boring but still slightly different Saab or something.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The Ranger is really the Miata of trucks.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

ExecuDork posted:

malaise-era British

This is a tautology.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

ExecuDork posted:

More likely, in a couple of years my Ranger will be nosediving towards a wrecker's yard and I'll pick up slightly-boring but still slightly different Saab or something.

Haha thats not how that era of Ford's work. It'll be like a slightly broken everywhere cockroach that you hate but can't get rid of because it still runs.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I saw an x-type wagon puttering around town today. I didn't even know that was a thing here.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
They made them. I think I've seen like two, ever. You probably saw one of the two.

I think I'd rather die than drive one every day.

Bad news for me and my love of poking around inside cars with "biohazard" stickers, hantavirus is getting more popular: http://www.calgaryherald.com/health/Death+mouse+Hantavirus+cases+still+rare+mounting+researchers+warn/11119889/story.html

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The long box crew cab is super handy, but you do need a strategy when parking. Its not bad in smaller cities, but I traveled to Vancouver with it a few months ago. LoL at underground condo parking. If I was able to leave depended on how the other cars were parked near me.

I was going to convert it to a flat deck, but for the hassle I've decided to go with a sled deck with sliding extensions.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

jonathan posted:

The long box crew cab is super handy, but you do need a strategy when parking. Its not bad in smaller cities, but I traveled to Vancouver with it a few months ago. LoL at underground condo parking. If I was able to leave depended on how the other cars were parked near me.

Took the Tundra to Ottawa. It was fine until downtown, aka 200 year plus old area. Streets are narrower, parking is tight, etc. That was painful.

I actually was going to get a Ford Supercrew longbox, but the wife veto'd it because it was so long she could never park it. I don't find them bad, but I grew up on a farm driving big trucks, so its not as bad for me. But I'll happily take my extra-comfortable room inside versus an extra foot of bed - our little utility trailer can haul everything the truck can't.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tornado warning in lacombe. Apparently just west of there just got royally F'd in the A by hail.

10 minutes south it's still 25*c

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Weather was all over the place last night. Got window shaking wind for twenty minutes with a spattering of rain, expected a torrent of hail that never came. Five minutes after it was just pleasantly cloudy and breezy.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Holy poo poo, I'm not the smallest guy in the world by any stretch but if you need to move the table so you can fit in a restaurant booth, you just might need to lose some weight. The train wreck of 2 400lb+ women sitting opposite each other at the same table was fascinating... sort of like a lava lamp.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Video kart track in Strathmore:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g46VWxt180c

Most fun I've had in a long time, I've got alot of bad FWD habits to break.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Looks like fun.

It will be even more fun when you start using the entire track :)

(seriously, work on those lines - it's one of the most interesting parts about learning to drive fast)

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Motronic posted:

(seriously, work on those lines - it's one of the most interesting parts about learning to drive fast)

Yeah it was my third time out and it's pretty apparent that FWD lines=/=RWD lines so I've just been trying to put pieces of the track together. Watching the video its pretty clear I should be using more of the track to carry more speed through a lot of the corners, but I'm pretty sure that's a result of 3 years of autocross in the Scirocco where it just didn't have grip in the corners so I'd cut the corners tight and then let it understeer out to get on the accelerator earlier.

Still don't have a good feeling for the brakes so I'm kind of holding back on braking while turning until I get more comfortable with that.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 12, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Canadian tire has a mig welder for 200 bucks. Has anybody had a look at it?

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Was just driving home from Shoota_McG's place this evening and holy poo poo, someone has a McLaren P1 in Edmonton, spotted a blue one at 118ave and 127st

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Powershift posted:

Canadian tire has a mig welder for 200 bucks. Has anybody had a look at it?

Does it do actual mig with gas, or is it one of those fluxcore wire only deals?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Slung Blade posted:

Does it do actual mig with gas, or is it one of those fluxcore wire only deals?

It was this one

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-mig-and-flux-welder-0588195p.html#.VX8CTkYSkn8

But mastercraft brand, could be anywhere from re-branded lincoln to re-branded harbor freight.

Ran into downtown calgary, did my passport stuff, and got back to red deer in 3 hours flat this morning, even with rush hour traffic. averaged 8.5 l/100km even with all the city stuff and highway speeds bordering on inappropriate.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Powershift posted:

It was this one

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-mig-and-flux-welder-0588195p.html#.VX8CTkYSkn8

But mastercraft brand, could be anywhere from re-branded lincoln to re-branded harbor freight.

No mention of duty cycle on there, as far as I can see anyway. No input voltage either. Does do gas and fluxcore, which is good. Make sure it comes with a gas regulator and all the hoses if you go look at it.

What do you want it for? Sheet metal stuff? It would be fine for that. Don't expect miracles out of it though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

i missed the sale anyways. Back to stick welding with car batteries.

The fact that some of the stuff they've branded as "maximum", or their "high end" poo poo is literally just a rebrand of the poo poo from harbor freight has me super suspicious of anything they make put their name on.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

The fact that some of the stuff they've branded as "maximum", or their "high end" poo poo is literally just a rebrand of the poo poo from harbor freight has me super suspicious of anything they make put their name on.

PA has a better warranty too.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Seat Safety Switch posted:

PA has a better warranty too.

No questions asked.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004

neckbeard posted:

Was just driving home from Shoota_McG's place this evening and holy poo poo, someone has a McLaren P1 in Edmonton, spotted a blue one at 118ave and 127st

Neither I or those billionaire doors live on or near 118 ave.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Powershift posted:

It was a lot easier when they branded the poo poo stuff Job Mate. Then it was clear that the Mastercraft stuff was mid grade, and MAXIMUM was high end.

Although I've have a Job Mate 3/8 drill that I've used for 5 years to drill through joists, mix thinset, destroy stuck bolts, etc and I have no idea how its still working. It sounds like poo poo and has released its magic smoke multiple times.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Shoota_McG posted:

Neither I or those billionaire doors live on or near 118 ave.

I take 127 south to 118ave and then continue south on 124th st.

Word from 780tuners is that the owner won ~$40mil in the lotto a couple years ago.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
It's probably a good thing I don't have $1500 laying around right now

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/strathcona-county/1980-fiat-x19-bertone/1079633969

I have this irrational thing with X1/9's. I feel the need to swap in a new engine. I'd love to do a Chrysler DOHC 2.0 with some mild mods and a tune. Or if I wanted to be a total weirdo I'd put in a ZX-14 or 'Busa engine.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

That's a fairly good deal if there isn't anything wrong with it and there's minimal rust. He doesn't mention what's wrong though. I'm always tempted to jump on one but the lack of a valuable parts frightens me.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

1500quidporsche posted:

That's a fairly good deal if there isn't anything wrong with it and there's minimal rust. He doesn't mention what's wrong though. I'm always tempted to jump on one but the lack of a valuable parts frightens me.

Yeah, I see good condition ones for $3-4k pretty consistently. There seem to be parts available through enthusiast sites but like I said, I think I'd rather swap out the engine anyways. Then it kind of limits concerns about some mechanical reliability.

If I had the cash to do a project, this could have been my ideal donor. I wouldn't want something in good aesthetic condition anyways, since I'd want to built a stripped down Abarth Prototipo inspired road car. I'd love to have it stripped and caged with an aluminum dash, Fiberglass hood and a roof scoop that feeds to an engine cover with a ducktail spoiler. And the fender flares and integrated fog lights of course.

:allears:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Their prices are weird here considering $3-4k is the price range for a rusted out automatic CRX "I know what I've got :colbert:". I don't know if its just that nobody knows about them.

I keep doubling down on the scirocco though so it keeps getting more and more unlikely I'm going to get one of these, I think throwing $2k worth of suspension at it was the point of no return now.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004

neckbeard posted:

I take 127 south to 118ave and then continue south on 124th st.

Word from 780tuners is that the owner won ~$40mil in the lotto a couple years ago.

I just wanted to make it clear that I didn't live near 118 ave, for social status reasons.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

DrakeriderCa posted:

It's probably a good thing I don't have $1500 laying around right now

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/strathcona-county/1980-fiat-x19-bertone/1079633969

I have this irrational thing with X1/9's. I feel the need to swap in a new engine. I'd love to do a Chrysler DOHC 2.0 with some mild mods and a tune. Or if I wanted to be a total weirdo I'd put in a ZX-14 or 'Busa engine.

I don't have $1500 lying around either, but it could be pulled together pretty easily. Why do you jerks insist on posting Italian 2-seaters for stupid cheap prices? It's even the right colour! I don't need any more temptation / pain in my life! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Something you don't see everyday in town

https://youtu.be/uttnYIsfewE

Also:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/lethbridge/triumph-tr-8-v-8/1060427534?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true