Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Cool new theme :cthulhu:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Somehow my phone got pushed an update which disabled my app update preferences, so it's been a while since I've been in here. My app got updated to, i can only guess, the most recent app store version.

1. How do I revert to the old shorter thread tags

2. How do I get rid of the pencil "reply" icon, or at least make it smaller/transparent (what was wrong with the old drop down option? How many people reply to every thread they read that would require it front and center like that? A better option would have been a floating icon that's a shortcut back to my bookmarks page)

-sincerely, November 2014

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Hadlock posted:

Somehow my phone got pushed an update which disabled my app update preferences, so it's been a while since I've been in here. My app got updated to, i can only guess, the most recent app store version.

1. How do I revert to the old shorter thread tags

2. How do I get rid of the pencil "reply" icon, or at least make it smaller/transparent (what was wrong with the old drop down option? How many people reply to every thread they read that would require it front and center like that? A better option would have been a floating icon that's a shortcut back to my bookmarks page)

-sincerely, November 2014

1) Accept the new hotness.
2) Under settings, look for "Disable FABs"

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Or if you don't want to get bullied by the "buy a new phone and screw you deal with it looking like android 5", pm me or site for a copy of the latest old version that site provided

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
Anyone having issues sending private messages?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

ryanbruce posted:

Anyone having issues sending private messages?
Just tried to pm you and it just failed when I hit send.

Marking a post as last read works fine now since the update, props for the quick fix!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Oops I should probably update before sending test messages huh

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

baka kaba posted:

Oops I should probably update before sending test messages huh
Yeah, I forgot I didn't update my phone last night. Sent a pm to the other dude now, on 3.2.0.7.

E: Completely missed that baka kaba sent me a pm like half an hour ago. Sending, receiving and replying all seem to work through the app as of 3.2.0.7.

dont skimp on the shrimp fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 14, 2015

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

It's all good :yayclod:

Teaches of Peaches
Aug 10, 2010

Huh!? What? Right...
I was just posting to say I appreciate all the hard work you guys put into the app. I use it everyday.

As a side note does anyone have the white get out frog icon? I seem to have misplaced it from my last phone.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Two feature requests relating to PMs

1. Is it possible to have a notice when a new pm comes in, like maybe that banner on top that shows up when your probated. Unless you actively check there's no indication that you got a message.

2. Can you add the grenade icon next to user's names that got added to the forums to show if you can PM them or not

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The latest version was working fine for me, then suddenly stopped loading the forums index. Only Bookmarks shows up, and refreshing doesn't do anything. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Is there a fix for this?

I can jump straight to this thread, and from here get back to IYG, but going to any other forum isn't working.

Edit: Forums index is back for me. No idea what changed.

FactsAreUseless fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 15, 2015

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year? The same way Vanderbilt did.

FactsAreUseless posted:

The latest version was working fine for me, then suddenly stopped loading the forums index. Only Bookmarks shows up, and refreshing doesn't do anything. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Is there a fix for this?

I can jump straight to this thread, and from here get back to IYG, but going to any other forum isn't working.

Same thing happened to me on my nexus 6, only way I can get here is from an accidental bookmark. Uninstalled the app, reinstalled, cleared data nothing worked.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Just sent in a crash report. Using the market version of the app on a stock unrooted Moto X (2013) running Kit Kat.

Clicking the read posts by user link causes an instant crash.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

I just updated to 3.2.0.7 tonight, and noticed something strange. I love how the menu shows your avatar, but... This is my old avatar. I changed it 7 or 8 months ago too, so it's not like it was a recent change.

EDIT: Galaxy S4 running 5.0.1.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
When I visit a thread now, and I open the left slide out window, it doesn't recognize the forum I am in. Until I minimize Awful. Let me explain.
Let's say I visit a forum. Then I select a thread, read it, all done. When I open the left slide out window, I'm used to seeing listings like:
SA Forums
Football Funhouse
(thread name)
But now I only see:
SA Forums
(thread name)
This is the case until I minimize the app. Then for a split second I see:
SA forums
Football funhouse

It's pretty odd.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Mrit posted:

When I visit a thread now, and I open the left slide out window, it doesn't recognize the forum I am in. Until I minimize Awful. Let me explain.
Let's say I visit a forum. Then I select a thread, read it, all done. When I open the left slide out window, I'm used to seeing listings like:
SA Forums
Football Funhouse
(thread name)
But now I only see:
SA Forums
(thread name)
This is the case until I minimize the app. Then for a split second I see:
SA forums
Football funhouse

It's pretty odd.

Does it appear if you swipe from the thread to the forum and back?

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Sereri posted:

Does it appear if you swipe from the thread to the forum and back?

No, it doesn't.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Elitist Bitch posted:

I just updated to 3.2.0.7 tonight, and noticed something strange. I love how the menu shows your avatar, but... This is my old avatar. I changed it 7 or 8 months ago too, so it's not like it was a recent change.

EDIT: Galaxy S4 running 5.0.1.

Clear the app's cache. I'd assume that would work.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Funnily enough I came to ask about the same thing (edit: as the guy a couplet of posts up I mean) I find it easier to go from bookmarks to a particular thread, then swipe from the left to get the forum option. The forum option is no longer there, just the thread I last viewed.

It isn't a major deal but I liked it as a feature.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Clear the app's cache. I'd assume that would work.

It did, thanks. I thought the caches were all cleared when I got updated to 5.0, so I didn't think of it. Duh.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm using the latest version from Google play. There's a thread where only two posts show on the latest, penultimate, and third most recent pages. Also, several threads still won't show the new content that was posted to the threads.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

RandomPauI posted:

I'm using the latest version from Google play. There's a thread where only two posts show on the latest, penultimate, and third most recent pages. Also, several threads still won't show the new content that was posted to the threads.

Maybe you should share which thread it is?

Also, I'm not sure if this is an Awful-specific issue. There's an SA bug where sometimes you can't see any recent posts in a thread unless you make a post in it yourself.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
3.2.0.7 is ctod'ing on me every few minutes. When I hit the bottom of a page or swipe to return to the thread list mostly.
Stock WiFi only Xoom running Android 4.1.2.
Also the unread post count still doesn't update unless I manually refresh.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

Maybe you should share which thread it is?

Also, I'm not sure if this is an Awful-specific issue. There's an SA bug where sometimes you can't see any recent posts in a thread unless you make a post in it yourself.

The thread that only shows two posts per page is this one:

(CYOA)
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=365795

I didn't think to write down all of the threads impacted by the no new content problem, but two of them are:

(Coins)
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3725289

(Star Wars)
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3514675

Neither problem pops up when I access SA on a laptop.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Edit: Forums index is back for me. No idea what changed.
This just happened to me again. It failed to load a thread, I closed it, then the forums list stopped appearing.

Clearing the cache and the app data had no effect.

FactsAreUseless fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jun 16, 2015

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

It's a combination of a bug in the forums and a missing failsave in the app. The new version only parses the index for the forum tags. The actual forums are now parsed via the dropdown at the bottom of forum and thread pages.

Which currently looks like this:

I'll need to find a way for it to not delete the old forums when this happens, but for now there is nothing you can do until the forums get a hold of themselves.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sereri posted:

It's a combination of a bug in the forums and a missing failsave in the app. The new version only parses the index for the forum tags. The actual forums are now parsed via the dropdown at the bottom of forum and thread pages.

Which currently looks like this:

I'll need to find a way for it to not delete the old forums when this happens, but for now there is nothing you can do until the forums get a hold of themselves.
It seems to come back after a few minutes, but thanks! Your app is very good.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

3.2.0.8 going out

Should fix this, the nav bar bug and a few more things.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Every time I load up the app I get the "loading failed" pop-up. Not a big deal but it's consistent.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

notZaar posted:

Every time I load up the app I get the "loading failed" pop-up. Not a big deal but it's consistent.

Yeah, me too. Nexus 4, latest version of Lollipop, if that helps.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I keep getting a notification that I've been logged out and I can't load any new posts, but then when I close and reopen the app I'm still logged in and it works fine again. LG G3, on lollipop.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

apokaladle posted:

I keep getting a notification that I've been logged out and I can't load any new posts, but then when I close and reopen the app I'm still logged in and it works fine again. LG G3, on lollipop.

Having the same issue. Galaxy S6. It also logs me out and I have to log back in.

Also I'm getting very slow performance in general today. Threads take much longer to load, usually not showing the loading bar at the top until a good 10 seconds or so has passed.

Edit- Actually I'm not experiencing the log out issue right now, it was this morning. It also seems my slowness issue is from the shifty WiFi but after wiping the cache everything seems to work fine.

Xinlum fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 17, 2015

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Today's update seems to have resolved my issues.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Ignore me. My wifi was turned off and I had "only load images when on wifi" checked.

JohnnyCanuck fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jun 17, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Sometimes when I enter a YOSPOS thread from my bookmarks the YOSPOS theme applies, and sometimes it doesn't. If I had to guess I'd say it's 50/50 applies/doesn't-apply.

edit: when I made this post it just gave me a blank view with the page indicator showing 52/51. Clicking refresh fixed it.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I spoke too soon. The problem of a thread not updating in the Awful app is popping up again, this time with an SAMart thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3650732

My O.S. is android 4.2.2, I use an HTC One X+. I seem to be the only one with this problem which makes me think it's something on my end. Could the phone be too old? Could the install be corrupted?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

Sometimes when I enter a YOSPOS thread from my bookmarks the YOSPOS theme applies, and sometimes it doesn't. If I had to guess I'd say it's 50/50 applies/doesn't-apply.

same.

Sometimes it'll also apply the YOSPOS theme to the next non-YOSPOS thread I visit.

Also likes to crash a lot on any thread page with a bunch of images.

Or if I browse an image-heavy thread for a while, it sometimes starts to perform quite poorly (slow response, slow loading) until eventually either quietly closing or hanging until Android asks me to kill it. Some sort of weirdness with caching/memory leaks?

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I have a feature request that's probably been asked, but I looked back a page and didnt see it so here goes - could you add the ability to store pages on the phone for offline browsing? I like to load a page before I get in the metro which doesnt have the internet - if i could preload 2-3 pages it would be really great. Thanks for the app though, i use it everyday!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Colonel J posted:

I have a feature request that's probably been asked, but I looked back a page and didnt see it so here goes - could you add the ability to store pages on the phone for offline browsing? I like to load a page before I get in the metro which doesnt have the internet - if i could preload 2-3 pages it would be really great. Thanks for the app though, i use it everyday!

This one might be a little tricky, because I don't think SA allows for automatic crawling.