Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

oblomov posted:

Ehh, no, there will be 700+ things to apply to base weapons I think.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Those "700+ mods" are just hundreds of mostly useless things pasted on to a dozen weapons or so. (hoping it's not like this again)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

CommissarMega posted:

I don't know; someone mentioned a robot butler being voiced with a ridiculous amount of common names, so I have hope.

I think they said one thousand. Also, to everyone sperging about the skills/perks/SPECIAL thing, you know that the other games also had descriptions for your SPECIAL skills that explained which stats they affected, right? Like, Fallout 3's description of Agility tells you that it effects your stealth and your number of AP in VATS, etc.

Everyone always sees one screenshot and immediately acts like the sky is falling.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Flaky posted:

Haven't actually played it, just inferring from stuff I've seen. I just prefer a subtler colour palette in general. Think of it like dynamic range for colour. Bright colours are used to signal important things, so having everything be really vibrant actually takes away from the visual impact. Especially given the setting. Imo things like the weathering on display are far more interesting visually, and require far more attention to detail.

for the record gta5 is fairly realistic colour wise. i will agree that some of the textures in F04 look a little garish and unfiltered though, you definitely have a point there

also the hud is very odd; that garish digital looking lime green doesn't really gel with the aesthetic the game's going for, and indeed i don't really see it gelling with any aesthetic. i didn't even like the FO3 HUD that much but it looked grittier and more in keeping with the world than this. hopefully it's just alpha poo poo and they sandblast the gently caress out of it before they go gold

Orv
May 4, 2011

Flaky posted:

Haven't actually played it, just inferring from stuff I've seen. I just prefer a subtler colour palette in general.

:what:

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Unnggggggg when does the CE go up for pre-order

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

like brown

and grey

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I wonder if the rank system is with tiered percentiles, that could cool too

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

The Berzerker posted:

I think they said one thousand. Also, to everyone sperging about the skills/perks/SPECIAL thing, you know that the other games also had descriptions for your SPECIAL skills that explained which stats they affected, right? Like, Fallout 3's description of Agility tells you that it effects your stealth and your number of AP in VATS, etc.

Everyone always sees one screenshot and immediately acts like the sky is falling.

Well, it's not like there's no precedent for Bethesda doing that kind of thing.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Blistex posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Those "700+ mods" are just hundreds of mostly useless things pasted on to a dozen weapons or so. (hoping it's not like this again)

There's 50 base weapons and 700+ mods total.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Generic Monk posted:

yep; ridiculously easy with the editor they tend to release with each game. I don't see them not doing it with this one given how much Bethesda hyped user generated content during their show and the whole paid skyrim mods thing

(i'm loving positive that paid mods will come back with a vengeance for F04 and even more sure that the community will absolutely take the loving piss with it)

This. You can bag on Bethesda for a lot of things, but one point in their favor is that their showcase games tend to be very mod friendly.

Personally, I'm not entirely sold on the whole "build your own town!" bit, but if it's entirely optional that's fine - I just want a cool world to explore.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Generic Monk posted:

for the record gta5 is fairly realistic colour wise. i will agree that some of the textures in F04 look a little garish and unfiltered though, you definitely have a point there

also the hud is very odd; that garish digital looking lime green doesn't really gel with the aesthetic the game's going for, and indeed i don't really see it gelling with any aesthetic. i didn't even like the FO3 HUD that much but it looked grittier and more in keeping with the world than this. hopefully it's just alpha poo poo and they sandblast the gently caress out of it before they go gold

In FO3 you could change the color/opacity of the hud, so I don't see it being much of a problem. If it's terrible as shipped, then it ought to be changeable.

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.
Furiosa confirmed for F4

http://imgur.com/2u1PRik

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I'm still amazed that SPECIAL miraculously survived into the new game.

SPECIAL is iconic and they wouldn't squander that kind of fan goodwill. My inner sperg was a bit miffed when I saw that all the SPECIAL stats in the screen where you choose them start at 1 though

Orv
May 4, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

like brown

and grey

I mean more the "I hate how this game I've never played looks" thing, but I guess in the face of "rape is a modern English colloquialism" then whatever.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?
Tow Howard Literally Raped 700+ People To Make This Game

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

game looks dope as gently caress. suck it down nerds

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Blistex posted:

They mentioned something like 50 base weapons, so if you give each of those, say... 3 different grips (Shoulder, pistol, SOMETHINGIDUNNO), 3 different barrels, 4 types of sights, and 4 'extra' modifications (Beam splitters or whatever) then that hits the 700 mark right there.

Hell in the pistol we see at least 6 different mods on one screen.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

frajaq posted:

I wonder if the rank system is with tiered percentiles, that could cool too

If they are ranked, what's the point of percentages?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The pipe rifle is back :buddy:

And it's an SMG now apparently

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i like how you can run brahmin caravans between your settlement(s). if there's a trade mechanic that makes it net you profit, it would kick serious rear end, as you could basically form your own wasteland corporation. i imagine some people will make a game just out of beefing up their settlements.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

BattleCattle posted:

In FO3 you could change the color/opacity of the hud, so I don't see it being much of a problem. If it's terrible as shipped, then it ought to be changeable.

It's not really a colour/opacity issue as much as it looks like it has no texture. Feels like it was made in MSPaint. There'll prob be a mod to analogify it though, or even better one that just replaces it with classic fallout dialogues.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

It looked like you could turn a pistol into a rifle. That's pretty neat.

Generic Monk posted:

It's not really a colour/opacity issue as much as it looks like it has no texture. Feels like it was made in MSPaint. There'll prob be a mod to analogify it though, or even better one that just replaces it with classic fallout dialogues.

Yeah, you're right about that. Now that I'm looking at it closer, it's pretty annoying.

Gosh, this thread is fast.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Hopefully I'll still be able to play as an rear end in a top hat.

...will an Int 1 retard run be possible too???

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Is Fallout Shelter coming to Android please say yes I want it.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.
Looks like there will be an android version later:

Pete Hines
‏@DCDeacon

May need to give iTunes a little time for it to update. It'll be up there. We will have info later about Android version.

https://twitter.com/DCDeacon/status/610294314288021504

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

that's a very flattering thing to call an obvious texture glitch (but seiously give me badass ladies bethesda. more badass ladies, less kids with guns and cavetowns)

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
That presentation was almost completely stuff that I don't want in a fallout game :(

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

That UI looked pretty bad but what else is new for Bethesda games. Hopefully it's easy to mod.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

frajaq posted:

Hopefully I'll still be able to play as an rear end in a top hat.

...will an Int 1 retard run be possible too???

now that your dialogue is voiced that's even less likely than ever before unfortunately

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
want a full auto sighted silenced gauss rifle

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Generic Monk posted:

SPECIAL is iconic and they wouldn't squander that kind of fan goodwill. My inner sperg was a bit miffed when I saw that all the SPECIAL stats in the screen where you choose them start at 1 though

Too many idiots didn't realize you can decrease the numbers in Fallout 3 and New Vegas even though there's a minus for it and that's how numbers work. Previously Recorded, from Red Letter Media fame, had one hell of a time figuring out SPECIAL even though it told them what was happening in giant letters in the middle of the screen.

ShadowMar posted:

That UI looked pretty bad but what else is new for Bethesda games. Hopefully it's easy to mod.
Looked fine to me.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Fallout 4 looks dope as gently caress and I'm so excited it's coming out in November.

GastonEatTheEggs
Nov 7, 2012

Volkerball posted:

i like how you can run brahmin caravans between your settlement(s). if there's a trade mechanic that makes it net you profit, it would kick serious rear end, as you could basically form your own wasteland corporation. i imagine some people will make a game just out of beefing up their settlements.

It's a cool idea but I've never played an open-world RPG that didn't give you way more money than you could possibly need, so it would probably be fun but pointless.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Generic Monk posted:

Agreed, this is exactly what I mean.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

mango sentinel posted:

That presentation was almost completely stuff that I don't want in a fallout game :(

Please expand

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
Honestly I wouldn't freak out too much about the weapon and mod amounts because if you are playing on PC there are going to be stacks upon stack of mods available through third parties ranging from night visions scopes for your sawblade encrusted baseball bat right up to the aforementioned horse penises that shoot hundreds of tiny horse penises per second. If you are not playing on PC then they are prety much guaranteed to pull out a Gun Runners Arsenal type of expansion within a year of release.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Skeezy posted:

Fallout 4 looks dope as gently caress and I'm so excited it's coming out in November.

my brother and i fist bumped hard as poo poo when he announced the release date

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Yaos posted:

Too many idiots didn't realize you can decrease the numbers in Fallout 3 and New Vegas even though there's a minus for it and that's how numbers work. Previously Recorded, from Red Letter Media fame, had one hell of a time figuring out SPECIAL even though it told them what was happening in giant letters in the middle of the screen.

Looked fine to me.

Yeah, this is almost exactly why. The average person isn't gonna realize you can lower those numbers except by accident or being told.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
The dialog wheel and voiced protag isn't a death sentence for roleplaying. I mean, Alpha Protocol had it and it did really good at letting you play a certain way. But I feel that if there's no skills, it would make every character feel really similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

That one dude is right, there is only a SPECIAL menu and a perk menu on the pipboy. We saw skill books in the teaser trailer though. :confused:

• Locked thread