Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah, most 2 player games of Mage Knight take 3+ hours usually unless both players are fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Y'all are slowpokes.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Have you considered playing The Most Dangerous Game? :getin:

Lawn darts?

e: or Mumblety-peg

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
I just finished playing a light card game called Nile de Luxor, and holy gently caress, that was one of the most aggressively terrible games I've ever played. In the past I've condemned Rise of Augustus for having so few meaning decisions (and the worse you do the less you get). Nile takes around half an hour and has precisely zero meaningful choices. Every decision I made was a binary A or B, where either A was obviously the correct option, or both were equal gambles with no relevant information. And for half of my turns, I didn't even have that, because my hand was literally unplayable.

Halfway through, I was practically begging the guy who showed up late to take my place so that I could sit out the rest of the game.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Gonna be playing Dungeon Lords with some mates tomorrow and I'll be the one who hasn't played it before. Anything important to know or advice going into it so I don't slow the game down too much? Am reading the (fun) rulebook now on my phone to give myself some familiarity rather than just going in blind.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Flipswitch posted:

Gonna be playing Dungeon Lords with some mates tomorrow and I'll be the one who hasn't played it before. Anything important to know or advice going into it so I don't slow the game down too much? Am reading the (fun) rulebook now on my phone to give myself some familiarity rather than just going in blind.

You need to be ok with getting horribly wrecked the first game, Galaxy Truckers style. When in doubt, consider playing food or mining because running out of either one seriously restricts your options.

You can choose not to take an action (e.g. if you don't want to pay a gold or an evil) and you minion goes on top of the relevant action card just like if they were too late.

Be really clear about the order of combat phases and get step through them fully at least the first 1-2 times - Traps, then Fast Spells, then Monsters, then Slow Spells, then Healing (ONLY IF MONSTERS DID DAMAGE), then Fatigue and Conquering. The rules about healing are particularly important and easy to get wrong.

Production rooms can be used twice each season in the second year if you have enough imps and the trap space lets you see one more trap in the second year (you have to discard a trap after choosing). Rooms can never be placed next to each other and rooms in the first year can only be placed on half of the dungeon tiles (there's a diagram showing which ones on each room tile).

Tunnels can fit one monster, any number of ghosts, and one trap for free.

Rooms can fit two monsters, any number of ghosts, and one trap at the cost of 1 gold.

Paladins are neither Priests nor Mages even though they heal and cast spells.

Ties on the evilometer are broken by turn order - the closer you are to the start player marker at any point, the less evil you are in a tie. This is often really important when it comes to assigning adventurers.

Those are the most niggly rules off the top of my head.

edit: Oh, just noticed you're the only newbie.

Some more specific tips:

1. Get at least one production room. The room space is the hardest to get and can depend on groupthink, in my group it's almost always taken by the players who are currently 3rd and 4th as last action. The only way to miss out doing this is if both the other players also take the room action, which they rarely do because it guarantees one of them will get nothing as well. Your group may play differently though.

Playing the dig action the same round as you go for a room can give you flexibility when it comes to choosing + placing a room, you probably don't want to have to put a trap production room at the very front of your dungeon!

2. Try to get on the space that gives you 2 imps (for 2 food or 1 food 1 gold) at least once. Imps are a crucial resource, most games you'll want at least 6 and you don't want to have to spend 3 actions to get them.

3. Compete for most evil. It's worth 3 points at the end of the game, spending evil generally gets you better monsters and the food space in particular is WAY better if you can afford to use the 1 or 2 evil space.

4. Don't be TOO evil - avoid the Paladin in the first year. He's significantly harder to deal with than the 2nd year paladin because you don't have access to demons or dragons. Do your best to get a nice adventurer lineup both years, which usually means as many of one type as possible. 3 Thieves is much easier to deal with than Priest/Thief/Wizard, as long as you saw it coming and didn't buy too many traps :)

5. Try to see at least the first spell each year unless you're guaranteed no wizards or have a plan to stop spells with traps. Even then, knowing how much fatigue is on the card can be useful.

6. Try to hire monsters after payday and dig after tax day. Not always possible, and it's ok to grab a cheap monster like a slime or goblin. Buying a Troll or Vampire first round is a great way to screw yourself for the rest of the game unless you really know what you're doing.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 15, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The biggest thing that screwed me in my first game of Dungeon Lords was not paying attention to the special event timing. I hired a big demon then the Payday event happened before I would have the resources to pay for him again. I still won though :smug:

Also, the Evil meter and the placement of who gets each adventurer by that was extremely important to knowing what your dungeon needed to survive at the end of the year. I assured I'd have no rogues so I loaded up on traps and that made a big difference.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 15, 2015

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Played space alert with my crew tonight. I loved it, even though I totally screwed up calculating how many shots it'd take to kill a space jellyfish, which resulted in not enough shots used against the other threats, and then we died.

:(

Overall it went okay, but not nearly as well as most other Vlaada games. This group liked Tash Kalar, loves Mage Knight, and really loved Galaxy Trucker, but Space Alert was definitely their least favorite of the group. Which makes me sad because I think it's my second favorite of the lot.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Played King of New York for the first time tonight with 2 others. They both let me sit in Manhattan from round one and then complained when I won after 15 minutes saying it was too fast and random. :lol:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bottom Liner posted:

Played King of New York for the first time tonight with 2 others. They both let me sit in Manhattan from round one and then complained when I won after 15 minutes saying it was too fast and random. :lol:

People who pick up a game for the first time, play poorly, and then condemn a game for being badly balanced are my number one GamerBane. I hate that poo poo and I hear it all the time.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Countblanc posted:

People who pick up a game for the first time, play poorly, and then condemn a game for being badly balanced are my number one GamerBane. I hate that poo poo and I hear it all the time.

Not as bad as the people that pick up a game for the first time, and spend 20 minutes a turn min-maxing it with several rules questions because they really need to win the game where nobody has a clue what they're doing yet.

Unfortunately one of my good friends is like this, we're working on it. Apparently his behaviour stems from a bad experience as a child where he lost because someone forgot to tell him a rule, or something. Seriously.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Countblanc posted:

I agree for the most part, but sometimes it is just clear that a game is too random/unbalanced after the first playthrough, especially when the randomness is not from an unevenly distributed resource like a deck of cards, and instead comes from something else. For instance, that loving pile of poo poo Harbour.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Bottom Liner posted:

The King of X games kind of are random bullshit to be totally fair. Like they're right but for the wrong reasons.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

As you're reading the rule book you're probably already doing this, but be sure to do the trial combats. You need to have a reasonable understanding of how combat works in order to design your dungeon well.

Supposedly, as part of the Anniversary Edition kickstarted, CGE are producing an iPad puzzle game with Dungeon Lords scenarios. Hasn't been heard of since the campaign, I think. Has anyone else heard anything recently?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Countblanc posted:

In my group, there are some people who will poo poo on me for winning my first game of something, and deciding that I didn't like it too much. I tried Pillars of the Earth a couple weeks ago, and I wasn't too fond of the draw bag for your worker placement because it means the only thing you can consistently do is avoid getting taxed. After the game, I thanked the owner for teaching and said it wasn't for me, and then he started giving me grief for it. :sigh:

Today I got to try a 3 player game of Euphoria. It took me a few rounds to get a handle on the economy, but I enjoyed it. I felt like it was too easy to build the markets, though I don't know if that's because we were three, or because my opponents were playing poorly. We used a house rule where we needed to use the top two resource spaces to build (i.e. a gold and ore instead of two ore), and I managed to get in on all of them. My first recruit let me get extra food if I used the highest die at the farm, so I used that and bliss to get a majority of my resources. I definitely want to try with 4 players; it felt a little lacking with 3.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

I just tried playing Twilight Struggle with my girlfriend, because it comes highly recommended basically everywhere that people have heard of board games, and we spent about 90 minutes on it, continually returning to the rules and going "Oh wait, no, we did all of that incorrectly..."

Is there a guide somewhere that explains exactly how each turn is played, and uses consistent terminology?

The manual is really loving vague about action rounds and how you do Operations, what brings up your combat operations score and how much does it go up per round, if hitting 5 is good or bad, can you continue to run operations after you hit 5, does anything raise defcon other than specific cards that say "defcon goes up," why some cards say "Remove this card if played as an event," and also whether event cards happen when you play them as Operations...

There is so much that we just got loving lost and frustrated.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bubble-T posted:

Not as bad as the people that pick up a game for the first time, and spend 20 minutes a turn min-maxing it with several rules questions because they really need to win the game where nobody has a clue what they're doing yet.

It's not exactly this but something that's been driving me nuts is how whenever I or someone else is trying to explain the rules to a game where there are a limited number of options, there's always got to be this one guy who just can't wrap their head around that "you can do X OR you can do Y" does not then mean that there's a hidden option Z that unlocks if you ask about it.

"Okay, so you have one of two choices, you can set all of your pyramids to level 1 or you can set one at level 2, one at level 1, and one at 0, keeping it off the board until you purchase it later."

"So can we start with one pyramid at level 3 and two at 0?"

Well what do you think, is that one of the two options that got listed?

"When you give another player in Hanabi a clue you can tell them which cards in their hand are a specific number or which cards are a specific color, that's all."

"Can we tell them 'this card is garbage?' Or that we need them to play this card right here?"

Just...come on man.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Kai Tave posted:

It's not exactly this but something that's been driving me nuts is how whenever I or someone else is trying to explain the rules to a game where there are a limited number of options, there's always got to be this one guy who just can't wrap their head around that "you can do X OR you can do Y" does not then mean that there's a hidden option Z that unlocks if you ask about it.

"Okay, so you have one of two choices, you can set all of your pyramids to level 1 or you can set one at level 2, one at level 1, and one at 0, keeping it off the board until you purchase it later."

"So can we start with one pyramid at level 3 and two at 0?"

Well what do you think, is that one of the two options that got listed?

"When you give another player in Hanabi a clue you can tell them which cards in their hand are a specific number or which cards are a specific color, that's all."

"Can we tell them 'this card is garbage?' Or that we need them to play this card right here?"

Just...come on man.

At least they're paying attention.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Did Dominion: Adventures get bit by the Hasbro printing bug or was it just new editions of the base game? I want to pick it up but not if I can't play it with the one hundred thousand cards I already have.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Beffer posted:

As you're reading the rule book you're probably already doing this, but be sure to do the trial combats. You need to have a reasonable understanding of how combat works in order to design your dungeon well.

Definitely do the trial combats, but don't forget that fatigue is the number of blood drops in the bottom right of each combat card, and not a flat 2 per round like in the trials.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Keshik posted:

The manual is really loving vague about action rounds and how you do Operations, what brings up your combat operations score and how much does it go up per round, if hitting 5 is good or bad, can you continue to run operations after you hit 5, does anything raise defcon other than specific cards that say "defcon goes up," why some cards say "Remove this card if played as an event," and also whether event cards happen when you play them as Operations...

Basically: Each game turn is composed of a Headline Phase and 6-8 Action Rounds. In the Headline Phase, each player simultaneously plays a card for event (higher ops card takes effect first, US wins ties). Then each Action Round consists of first the USSR and then the US playing a card, either for Operations or Event. Each play of a card for Operations is one (and only one) of: place X influence, sponsor a coup with a modifier of X, make X realingments, or roll on the Space Race.

Military Operations are points given by launching Coups, you get milops equal to the ops spent on the coup. (Some events also give milops, and events that allow you to coup will give milops as normal.) In general the only effect they have is that at the end of the turn, if your milops are lower than the current Defcon level you lose VPs equal to the difference. You can still coup after you hit 5 milops but don't earn any more.

At the end of every turn, Defcon improves by 1 (to a maximum of 5.)

Playing a neutral or friendly card for operations does not trigger the event. Playing an enemy card (so ones that have your opponent's color, like De-Stalinzation has a red star and is USSR, Voice of America has a white star and is US) will trigger the event (you choose before or after operations). This is really the core of TS, trying to manipulate your opponent's events when you get them in your hand. The exceptions are: spending a card on the Space Race won't trigger its event, and discarding a card (ie to Five Year Plan's handsize attack or to Quagmire's siphoning your action rounds) will also not trigger it.

Some cards are marked "remove after playing for event." If the event occurred then the card is permanently removed from the game- you can't have Fidel take Cuba twice but you can have as many Juntas as you want. Cards that aren't removed are placed in a discard pile and shuffled back into the deck once it's empty. There are generally reshuffles on turns 3 and 7.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Gimnbo posted:

At least they're paying attention.

After three of four go-rounds in Hanabi if you still haven't grasped exactly what sorts of clues you're allowed to give other players then I'm going to posit that no, you haven't been paying that much attention.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

StashAugustine posted:

Basically: Each game turn is composed of a Headline Phase and 6-8 Action Rounds. In the Headline Phase, each player simultaneously plays a card for event (higher ops card takes effect first, US wins ties). Then each Action Round consists of first the USSR and then the US playing a card, either for Operations or Event. Each play of a card for Operations is one (and only one) of: place X influence, sponsor a coup with a modifier of X, make X realingments, or roll on the Space Race.

Military Operations are points given by launching Coups, you get milops equal to the ops spent on the coup. (Some events also give milops, and events that allow you to coup will give milops as normal.) In general the only effect they have is that at the end of the turn, if your milops are lower than the current Defcon level you lose VPs equal to the difference. You can still coup after you hit 5 milops but don't earn any more.

At the end of every turn, Defcon improves by 1 (to a maximum of 5.)

Playing a neutral or friendly card for operations does not trigger the event. Playing an enemy card (so ones that have your opponent's color, like De-Stalinzation has a red star and is USSR, Voice of America has a white star and is US) will trigger the event (you choose before or after operations). This is really the core of TS, trying to manipulate your opponent's events when you get them in your hand. The exceptions are: spending a card on the Space Race won't trigger its event, and discarding a card (ie to Five Year Plan's handsize attack or to Quagmire's siphoning your action rounds) will also not trigger it.

Some cards are marked "remove after playing for event." If the event occurred then the card is permanently removed from the game- you can't have Fidel take Cuba twice but you can have as many Juntas as you want. Cards that aren't removed are placed in a discard pile and shuffled back into the deck once it's empty. There are generally reshuffles on turns 3 and 7.

This all helps a lot, thank you. I should have asked if anything LOWERS defcon other than specific stuff on cards, such as if the Olympics get boycotted, but I was ranting and misstated.

We do not redraw after each action round, right? You basically play your entire hand until you each have one card, then draw seven? Or no?

This rulebook is just bonkers.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Keshik posted:

This all helps a lot, thank you. I should have asked if anything LOWERS defcon other than specific stuff on cards, such as if the Olympics get boycotted, but I was ranting and misstated.

We do not redraw after each action round, right? You basically play your entire hand until you each have one card, then draw seven? Or no?

Yes, you play the cards in your hand until the end of the turn and then you draw up to whatever you maximum hand size is, depending on the turn you're on- 8 for the first three turns, 9 for the remainder of the game. It's possible to have one, zero, two, or maybe even three cards in your hand at the end of a turn, depending on specific circumstances.

I honestly find the rulebook for TS pretty concise. :shrug:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I just try to read the rules for everything even if I'm not teaching.

Played two more games of Troyes today, taught it to someone new. First game, I used the archer and missed a ton of my shots, the score was 46, 43, 42 with me in last and everyone was like "haha gently caress fosbourne this game is great!". The player engagement with that first round was intense. Then the next game the luck goes against everyone else, I win 34, 27, 21, and the attitude in the room was as if the game had committed a hate crime against someone. It's a weird game because it's so euro but feels so random although the games don't end up in blow outs quite as much as other games. Sometimes though, the flop of the activity cards in rounds 2 and 3 will just own some players. Not sure how I feel about those being revealed that late in the game. That, and sometimes the events can be real prickish, like picking off 2 of someone's cathedral guys or workers in a building etc.

All that said, I'm still pretty fascinated by it because it's so unusual. If things just don't go my way I play faster and it's a quick game so it doesn't bother me too much.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah, you draw up to 8 or 9 at the end of your turn (depends on the stage of the war.) The big thing for degrading DEFCON is coups in battlegrounds. Any coup in a battleground country will degrade DEFCON by 1. :siren: This includes cards that allow your opponent to coup battlegrounds, therefore playing cards like CIA Created (as USSR) or Lone Gunman (as US) at Defcon 2 with influence in a third world battleground will lose you the game :siren:

No offense, I found the TS rulebook incredibly clear, probably because I grew up on Avalon Hill games which have the same technical manual way of laying out the rules. I might be able to do a teaching game on VASSAL or something, I'm always down to introduce newbies to the glories of communism.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I'm planning on playing like 100 games of twilight struggle when the iOS app comes out. Going to be so awesome

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

welcome posted:

Did Dominion: Adventures get bit by the Hasbro printing bug or was it just new editions of the base game? I want to pick it up but not if I can't play it with the one hundred thousand cards I already have.

All editions of Adventures are the hasbro prints. It will say made in the USA

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I'm planning on playing like 100 games of twilight struggle when the iOS app comes out. Going to be so awesome

gently caress yeah. In heaven, all the games have the production value of Fantasy Flight, the designs of Vlaada and the rulebooks of GMT.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

The End posted:

gently caress yeah. In heaven, all the games have the production value of Fantasy Flight, the designs of Vlaada and the rulebooks of GMT.

GMT's hardly without sin here. The rulebook to Dominant Species is way more obnoxious than it needs to be.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

fozzy fosbourne posted:

When? I've always wanted to play, but never found anyone with it.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Keshik posted:

You're bonkers. It's a wargame manual. Every individual rule is marked with a label for later reference.

The redrawing after action rounds question is rule 4.5: "Deal Cards" is step B in each turn. "Action rounds" is step D. So no, you don't redraw between action rounds.

Bobby The Rookie posted:

I honestly find the rulebook for TS pretty concise.

This guy gets it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I can probably understand not being used to wargaming rulebooks but TS especially is one of the better ones.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
To be fair when I first played TS I was coming from simpler games like Carcassone and Stone Age and the manual was a huge shock. The way it was laid out is highly methodical and literal (and excellent as a reference once you have the game structure down) but it's quite different from other boardgame manuals. Then I bought Paths of Glory and suddenly TS seemed lean and mean. THEN I realised Paths of Glory would have been twenty times easier to learn if I'd played other wargames first as it shared many elements (such as combat resolution) that were broadly similar, and each subsequent game was far easier to grasp.

So I totally understand the shock of the TS manual because despite being a relatively simple game the rulebook feels intimidating just due to the structure and lack of dressing/theme around presentation. The theme comes from the game, not the rulebook.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.
Picked up Dominion: Prosperity last week and got a chance to play it over the weekend with the girlfriend.

Wow. If you play with just Prosperity cards it's ridiculous. Getting 100+ points at the end isn't hard but it's a nice feeling when you lay down your treasures like "Plat, plat, gold, gold, Bank, three buys and Goons so I'll take all these extra VPs too :smug:"

Would quite like Seaside as my next Dominion box. I've broken with the usual convension and gone backwards so far as Hinterlands was my first then Prosperity.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Keshik posted:

I just tried playing Twilight Struggle with my girlfriend, because it comes highly recommended basically everywhere that people have heard of board games, and we spent about 90 minutes on it, continually returning to the rules and going "Oh wait, no, we did all of that incorrectly..."

Is there a guide somewhere that explains exactly how each turn is played, and uses consistent terminology?

Once you have read the rules to understand the basic concepts and the parts of a card, I've found this to be a nice explanation about turn flow.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Tendales posted:

GMT's hardly without sin here. The rulebook to Dominant Species is way more obnoxious than it needs to be.

I will never understand these people.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Keyflower PBP is up.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
I bought Warhammer Diskwars today and just played the introductory battle scenario with my wife. Game owns. All the satisfaction of Warhammer in a much shorter/quicker format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Bubble-T posted:

super reply

Beffer posted:

Supposedly, as part of the Anniversary Edition kickstarted, CGE are producing an iPad puzzle game with Dungeon Lords scenarios. Hasn't been heard of since the campaign, I think. Has anyone else heard anything recently?
Thanks dudes, I've made a note of this, I'll probably suck at it but I'm looking forward to having some fun and playing some games.

I was debating on picking up this or Dungeon Petz for my other group but I'm not sure how well it'd go down with my other group, they're a lot lighter on board games and Space Alert has been successful but was a bit of a confusion at the start.