Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
man that sucks. i loved how in new vegas, i'd be like "hey, i just figured out a great melee build. i can't wait to try a playthrough with it." now it's like man it'd be great to be good at melee. well i guess i will just use some melee weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

PerpetualSelf posted:

Wait people are bitching about this? It's a Bethesda game. Someone will loving mod the stats get the gently caress over it.

Bethesda is so far ahead of the curve in developing actual gameplay in their games it's ridiculous. I'm stunned.

:what:

People play Bethesda RPG's despite the crappy gameplay, not because of it.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

PerpetualSelf posted:

If that's your experience with Bethesda games you must no have played them much.

I bet you think Bioshock Infinite had good gameplay.

no, Bioshock Infinite was an endless series of small arenas with basically identical encounters, and it was torturous to play. I've played all the loathsome Bethesda games in the Oblivion engine extensively, trying to understand why people liked them. never really found anything approaching a reason. but Bioshock did have two things on Fallout 3: its narrative had some ambition, even though it flopped on delivery, and its shooting mechanics were clean, not just a bunch of ragdolls running at each other and occasionally strafing.

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp
Holy poo poo gamers are literally the worst loving people ever.

loving leaving this poo poo thread bye all you loving primadonnas can literally go gently caress yourselves. Enjoy it. It's probably the last time you'll ever feel anything enjoyable in your life.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Nothing is fun everything sucks stop enjoying games

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

PerpetualSelf posted:

loving leaving this poo poo thread bye all you loving primadonnas can literally go gently caress yourselves. Enjoy it. It's probably the last time you'll ever feel anything enjoyable in your life.

yeah, criticizing things you liked, having reasons and stuff, responding to criticisms you level, we're literally the worst and I can literally gently caress myself

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

PerpetualSelf posted:

:ironicat:

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

PerpetualSelf posted:

SEriously though you actually this "Bethesda is so far ahead of the curve in developing actual gameplay in their games it's ridiculous. I'm stunned."

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpsbj0OoeNo

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

CJacobs posted:

The gameplay in Fallout games is loving garbage, and I'm not talking garden-variety "oh it's a bad game", I'm talking a clunky, bug-ridden, poorly thought out mess with amateur animations to boot. Even New Vegas, the one people say is the good one.

edit: And this is coming from someone who has like 100 hours in New Vegas and almost as many in 3.

I started playing Fallout 1 today and it legit no joke feels less clunky than the gamebryo ones. Like I can pick up items and move them around with the mouse and it's not trying to have FPS controls but have a half-second delay between me pulling the trigger and bullets coming out. I unload a submachine gun on auto mode into some guy at close range and his little sprite is literally torn apart into a bloody pulp whereas in the gamebryo games he just sort of stands there and maybe clutches his head a bit.

the lack of scrollbars in menus and stuff like that is kinda disconcerting (also my follower trapped me between a bed and a wall and wouldn't go away, then beat me to death when I tried to shoot my way out) but it's honestly such a blast; this is the first time the older games have truly clicked for me. also it feels a lot more manageable for me than the infinity engine games where you have like 5 party members that disappear in a clusterfuck of particle effects and confusion in every battle :(

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 15, 2015

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Volkerball posted:

man that sucks. i loved how in new vegas, i'd be like "hey, i just figured out a great melee build. i can't wait to try a playthrough with it." now it's like man it'd be great to be good at melee. well i guess i will just use some melee weapons.

No one has said they're using the weird use-thing-to-level-up-thing mechanic from elder scrolls, they just removed skills. It's possible that it'll just be like "man it'd be great to be good at melee, guess I'll invest my perk points into melee perks this time" instead of investing in both perks and skills. Still less indepth but honestly skill points were kinda pointless except as a gating mechanism to perks anyways, beyond break points in science/lockpicking and uses in dialog. Both of which could easily be converted into perks. I'm not saying I think it will be undeniably good or anything, I'm just saying it's worth being cautiously optimistic until we're proven wrong because it's Bethesda. They MIGHT not have totally hosed everything up!

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

PerpetualSelf posted:

Wait people are bitching about this? It's a Bethesda game. Someone will loving mod the stats get the gently caress over it.

Bethesda is so far ahead of the curve in developing actual gameplay in their games it's ridiculous. I'm stunned.

I think you're a really good poster, please stay in the thread

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The new trailer did look much better than the first one and the player seems to no longer steer like a boat on choppy waters, so who knows, it might not be crap. Sure, it'll sell a bajillion copies regardless of whether it's actually a good name or not because it's got the word Fallout and the number 4 in the title, but I would like to hope. Good gameplay does not excuse poo poo story, which is half of what Fallout games are about, so let's hope the story's not as poo poo as it sounds.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol if you spent $120 to get that poorly made plastic pipboy, just lol

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

PerpetualSelf posted:

PerpetualSelf posted:

My dick would be fun too if I shoved it in your shithole

PerpetualSelf posted:

loving retarded gently caress this gay rear end sport

PerpetualSelf posted:

That's why I want to kill that little oval office.

:staredog:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

crawlkill posted:

yeah, criticizing things you liked, having reasons and stuff, responding to criticisms you level, we're literally the worst and I can literally gently caress myself

criticizing things like the awful poo poo dialogue we've seen all of 5 seconds of and the narrative we've seen none of. the reason is "i'm a whiny little bitch." that's the problem.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Turds in magma posted:

SEriously though you actually this "Bethesda is so far ahead of the curve in developing actual gameplay in their games it's ridiculous. I'm stunned."

hadn't you heard the cutting edge of gameplay is an open world without AI capable of behaving intelligently in it, where enemies just sort of run at you and you hit each other until one or the other of your giant HP pools is depleted? well, there's the other part of cutting-edge gameplay, of course, which is "exploiting obvious things the devs didn't think of or didn't bother handling." my cutting-edge putting a basket on a shopkeeper's head to steal all his earthlies was just too avant garde for me to understand as TRUE ART.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

CJacobs posted:

The new trailer did look much better than the first one and the player seems to no longer steer like a boat on choppy waters, so who knows, it might not be crap. Sure, it'll sell a bajillion copies regardless of whether it's actually a good name or not because it's got the word Fallout and the number 4 in the title, but I would like to hope. Good gameplay does not excuse poo poo story, which is half of what Fallout games are about, so let's hope the story's not as poo poo as it sounds.

There are only four dialogue options max and your character is almost certainly a replicant, so I wouldn't expect any miracles

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
I'm going to enjoy Fallout 4 while all you nerds cry about how videogames are art or whatever it is you dummies like to do rather than play video games.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

MinibarMatchman posted:

lol if you spent $120 to get that poorly made plastic pipboy, just lol

$95 is okay though. Bethesda's collector's editions have been alright historically.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Volkerball posted:

criticizing things like the awful poo poo dialogue we've seen all of 5 seconds of and the narrative we've seen none of. the reason is "i'm a whiny little bitch." that's the problem.

Oblivion had awful dialogue and poo poo narrative [I've broken up your adjectives]
Fallout 3 had awful dialogue and poo poo narrative
Skyrim had awful dialogue and poo poo narrative

once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Fallout 4 looks like a fun game that I will pay attention to during its development and potentially purchase from a location which sells video games with the money gained from my personal income to play on my video gaming platform of choice.

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

I guess the new shallow RPG elements will set peoples expectations at an appropriate level for the shallow writing and worldbuilding they are going to encounter.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

No Mods No Masters posted:

There are only four dialogue options max and your character is almost certainly a replicant, so I'm certainly not expecting any miracles

That is a shame. I really don't like giving the main character a more established backstory than "grew up in a vault" or "was a courier". Fallout 3 had you play through your childhood and it was one of the best parts of the game, I feel, because it allowed you to shape your character's history. This game, from what I've read, just GIVES you a history and you have to shape the character around that. Which sucks.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Yaos posted:

I'm going to enjoy Fallout 4 while all you nerds cry about how videogames are art or whatever it is you dummies like to do rather than play video games.

I agonize over what things to buy on steam while I put off playing the things that I actually just bought when the last cycle concluded

A cool damn horse
Jan 25, 2009

Actually, the gameplay in Fallout owns, and if you actually sunk over 9000 hours into it just for the story or whatever you probably have brain damage.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

So here's the meaty bits of the showcase stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWuwLSFmATI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzV1GlDDlv8

Put it on the OP or something

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

CJacobs posted:

This game, from what I've read, just GIVES you a history and you have to shape the character around that. Which sucks.

but it's so much easier to develop! think of the poor publisher! it's hard times for Bethesda after everyone who owned a machine capable of playing games bought all three of their previous in-house titles

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Volkerball posted:

5 seconds of lovely dialogue and a long track record of games that have lovely dialogue. :goonsay:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So how about that Bethesda.net distribution platform then? Get your five dollar fishing mods right here!

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Back Hack posted:

5 seconds of lovely dialogue and a long track record of games that have lovely dialogue. :goonsay:

thank you, I so often feel so alone in these conversations. why should a history of terrible dialogue not be taken into account?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Infinity Gaia posted:

No one has said they're using the weird use-thing-to-level-up-thing mechanic from elder scrolls, they just removed skills. It's possible that it'll just be like "man it'd be great to be good at melee, guess I'll invest my perk points into melee perks this time" instead of investing in both perks and skills. Still less indepth but honestly skill points were kinda pointless except as a gating mechanism to perks anyways, beyond break points in science/lockpicking and uses in dialog. Both of which could easily be converted into perks. I'm not saying I think it will be undeniably good or anything, I'm just saying it's worth being cautiously optimistic until we're proven wrong because it's Bethesda. They MIGHT not have totally hosed everything up!

yeah, that's true. it's been several years since skyrim came out, so it's not likely it would be a complete match. i guess we'll see. so long as it makes it so that you can't just do anything you want with one character, i'm happy. i like to do playthroughs as an idiot brute melee character, a sneaky assassin type character, and rambo, and if there's no gates that stop me from doing all of those things with one character like skyrim didn't, it makes second, third, fourth, etc playthroughs to choose different factions or see what happens when making a different decision a lot less intriguing because you aren't starting a new build with new pros and cons from scratch. You're just starting over.

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

frajaq posted:

So here's the meaty bits of the showcase stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWuwLSFmATI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzV1GlDDlv8

Put it on the OP or something

Far Cry 5 is looking amazing. Ubisoft finally put in a Tower Defense minigame.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

crawlkill posted:

thank you, I so often feel so alone in these conversations. why should a history of terrible dialogue not be taken into account?

oh yes, games is definitely lacking in manbabies.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Bardeh posted:

:what:

People play Bethesda RPG's games despite the crappy gameplay RPG elements, not because of it.

Agreed

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

So how about that Bethesda.net distribution platform then? Get your five dollar fishing mods right here!

They did a really great job dropping that in the dull part of the conference, running away from it as fast as possible, and hoping people wouldn't notice. It worked really well.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Volkerball posted:

yeah, that's true. it's been several years since skyrim came out, so it's not likely it would be a complete match. i guess we'll see. so long as it makes it so that you can't just do anything you want with one character, i'm happy. i like to do playthroughs as an idiot brute melee character, a sneaky assassin type character, and rambo, and if there's no gates that stop me from doing all of those things with one character like skyrim didn't, it makes second, third, fourth, etc playthroughs to choose different factions or see what happens when making a different decision a lot less intriguing because you aren't starting a new build with new pros and cons from scratch. You're just starting over.

I think variability in builds is a very good thing, personally. what made the good Fallouts special was never "I put enough points into Small Guns." the difference between two playthroughs in a game--any game that takes environmental decisions into account--should be the choices you make about the world. ultimately, -you will muddle through,- combat-wise, and there's no reasonable reason to lock you into one particular build. people who don't like respects don't have to take them.

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp
Wah my $50 game that literally costs less than a full day's minimum wage is not 100% perfect wahhh

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?
Just to be clear, fallout 3, skyrim, and oblivion were all fun games and I enjoyed one playthrough, but if you seriously think Bethesda has any ability at story telling or that any of those games have anything resembling reasonable combat mechanics then loving lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Arcsquad12 posted:

I can't wait for the MSpaint Doge retexture for $20.00

CJacobs posted:

That is a shame. I really don't like giving the main character a more established backstory than "grew up in a vault" or "was a courier". Fallout 3 had you play through your childhood and it was one of the best parts of the game, I feel, because it allowed you to shape your character's history. This game, from what I've read, just GIVES you a history and you have to shape the character around that. Which sucks.

It might sound silly but this is probably what dampens me most on buying FO4. In NV I played as The Joker. Turns out if you mess with the character creator enough you can make a guy with super white skin and green hair. So I spent my playthrough role playing as The Joker. It was stupid and fun and I had a good time. I can't do stuff like that in a game where they're just like "Oh by the way you're some dude with a wife and a kid and you sound like this when you talk." The whole Bethesda.net thing just makes me extra wary about it since Origin and Uplay were garbage.

• Locked thread