Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Anyone know how long it takes for a female to give birth in Shelter? It's been awhile now and it seems stuck until one of them gives birth so I can have another follower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

bhlaab posted:

What was Oblivion compared to Morrowind?

A step up in combat.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

hemophilia posted:

It's okay to chill out and enjoy video games sometimes, you know. I can't imagine hate-playing a game for 50 hours but it sounds tedious and exhausting.

the hate is an aggregate thing, not something going on every instant of play. if it caused me that much pain to try to do science, I wouldn't've tried. but when the whole world says something is great and you see no real virtue in it, there is, at least for me, a desire to try and understand. sometimes that's rewarding! with Bethesda games, it hasn't been so far. individual moments are just weak. it's only when I step back and view the whole experience, in the context of everyone else saying how wonderful it is, that I get the twitching horrors.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

frajaq posted:

I'm so happy VATS is slow time instead of total pause, it's like they really paid attention to the popular mods and went "gently caress IT ADD THIS TO THE GAME"

100% agree. Good for Bethesda.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Super Mutants can close their mouths now!!!!!

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Postal 4 is looking to be spectacular I can't wait to play it when it comes out this November

Shut Up and Take My Money!!

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

bhlaab posted:

faeces

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

closeted republican posted:

So basically you're unwilling to let even the tiniest bit of your nostalgia of playing FO1 and FO2 as a kid go. You really are the prototypical hardcore Fallout fanboy.

what

you're saying I can only like good scripts if I have nostalgia for good scripts? nobody likes good scripts who wasn't exposed to them as a child? is that your thought, here?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Yao Guais don't look like zombie bears anymore! (why the gently caress are they called that anyway)

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

frajaq posted:

Super Mutants can close their mouths now!!!!!

Goddamn is that cartoonishly bright. Oh well, at least I can distinguish the background from the dark smudges that are apparently super mutants.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

frajaq posted:

Yao Guais don't look like zombie bears anymore! (why the gently caress are they called that anyway)

yogi bear

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I would say that the main story looks like being pretty short again, based on the amount of effort spent on gameplay enhancements like better animations, better crafting, dynamic style raids on your towns etc. That stuff all looks like it is designed to plug and play. Also no real shots of heavily populated centres, but then again maybe they had only got around to finishing the overworld and none of the towns were done yet. No mention of faction alliances, so there is probably little chance that there will be any of those quests (probably a good thing based on the aggressively terrible faction quests in Skyrim). Also voice acting limitations.

Flaky fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 15, 2015

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

crawlkill posted:

what

you're saying I can only like good scripts if I have nostalgia for good scripts? nobody likes good scripts who wasn't exposed to them as a child? is that your thought, here?

It's really obvious your views of Fallout are biased by nostalgia of playing them as a kid.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

bhlaab posted:

Anyway this seems like the exact opposite of what I want from a Fallout game so I'll probably buy it when it's $15-20 on a Steam Sale and hopefully Obsidian gets to make another good one.

I wonder if they would ever let Obsidian make an isometric fallout game again. You'd think the success of Pillars and Wasteland 2 would at least be some evidence in favor of the idea, and it wouldn't need a AAA zillion dollar budget.

Then I could have a cool world with cool quests without Bethesda's nightmare engine actively trying to ruin my enjoyment throughout

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

frajaq posted:

妖怪 ("monster")

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Flaky posted:

I would say that the main story looks like being pretty short again, based on the amount of effort spent on gameplay enhancements like better animations, better crafting, dynamic style raids on your towns etc. That stuff all looks like it is designed to plug and play. Also no real shots of heavily populated centres, but then again maybe they had only got around to finishing the overworld and none of the towns were done yet. No mention of faction alliances, so there is probably little chance that there will be any of those quests (probably a good thing based on the aggressively terrible faction quests in Skyrim).

People will only show up in the game if you put a store or house down somewhere. Fallout 4 is a game where you are the sole reason any settlement in Boston exists outside of the Commonwealth.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Crabtree posted:

Goddamn is that cartoonishly bright. Oh well, at least I can distinguish the background from the dark smudges that are apparently super mutants.

Remember when everything was just brown in 2010? I'm glad there is some color.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Flaky posted:

I would say that the main story looks like being pretty short again, based on the amount of effort spent on gameplay enhancements like better animations, better crafting, dynamic style raids on your towns etc. That stuff all looks like it is designed to plug and play. Also no real shots of heavily populated centres, but then again maybe they had only got around to finishing the overworld and none of the towns were done yet. No mention of faction alliances, so there is probably little chance that there will be any of those quests (probably a good thing based on the aggressively terrible faction quests in Skyrim).

nothing heavily populated, but the ending shot standing in boston looking at the horizon was just city as far as the eye could see.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

It's really obvious your views of Fallout are biased by nostalgia of playing them as a kid.

it's really obvious you only read the first one-sentence paragraph of that post you quoted and not the second multi-sentence paragraph of the post you quoted. would you like to name a memorable NPC from Fallout 3? I'll wait. no googling.

the vast majority of media I gulped as a kid I hate on re-experiencing. really not a nostalgia victim here. you seem to be fixating on an out that, in your mind, doesn't require, like, actually addressing actual statements. do you remember any of the followers in Fallout 3?

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

I will say, though I'm not liking most of what I'm seeing in it, the graphics and general art design are much nicer.

So basically you're unwilling to let even the tiniest bit of your nostalgia of playing FO1 and FO2 as a kid go. You really are the prototypical hardcore Fallout fanboy.

Eh I played 1 and 2 after playing (and really disliking) 3 and (and really liking) NV because I wanted to see where the series came from, and I still think they stand up as RPGs today. The inventory system is irredeemable crap, but the music, art design and what have you are still really strong. I think the "play the game with any type of character!" thing is overblown, becauase my diplomatic guys all petered out around just past the hub, but i like them a lot more than 3.

It's not just a nostalgia thing, some people prefer fallout the RPG over fallout the janky combat sim.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Crabtree posted:

People will only show up in the game if you put a store or house down somewhere. Fallout 4 is a game where you are the sole reason any settlement in Boston exists outside of the Commonwealth.

If this is the price I have to pay to get rid of independent worldspaces then bring it on imo. It does look like this is something they were going for. Many of the destroyed buildings seem very 'open', like you could fall through their roofs etc. Hopefully they tried to minimise invisible walls as much as possible.

Flaky fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 15, 2015

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

No Mods No Masters posted:

I wonder if they would ever let Obsidian make an isometric fallout game again. You'd think the success of Pillars and Wasteland 2 would at least be some evidence in favor of the idea, and it wouldn't need a AAA zillion dollar budget.

Then I could have a cool world with cool quests without Bethesda's nightmare engine actively trying to ruin my enjoyment throughout

at this point attaching the Fallout brand onto an old fashioned isometric RPG would probably decrease the brand's value, ironically

Generic Monk posted:

it's in the daytime?

There is usually a green tint in a post-apocalyptic environment, because of all the 200-year-old radiation.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Crabtree posted:

it's in the daytime?

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Flaky posted:

If this is the price I have to pay to get rid of independent worldspaces then bring it on imo.

in before another underdeveloped Bethesda distraction that has no actual impact on the way the world works or the game plays out

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

crawlkill posted:

it's really obvious you only read the first one-sentence paragraph of that post you quoted and not the second multi-sentence paragraph of the post you quoted. would you like to name a memorable NPC from Fallout 3? I'll wait. no googling.

the vast majority of media I gulped as a kid I hate on re-experiencing. really not a nostalgia victim here. you seem to be fixating on an out that, in your mind, doesn't require, like, actually addressing actual statements. do you remember any of the followers in Fallout 3?

Moira, the robot who thinks hes Button Gwinnet, Desmond and Calvert.

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

No Mods No Masters posted:

The problem is that it wouldn't need a zillion dollar budget, so it will never happen. poo poo gets stupid when your IP is AAA.

I'm not too worried about that, though. New Vegas proved that a fantastic Fallout game can be made in first person (albeit with a nightmare engine), and if you want an isometric game, play Pillars or Wasteland 2 or Tides of Numendarea or the mysterious "Van Buren" trademark inxile has registered.

It'd be nice to have a new Fallout game, but I don't know if even Obsidian could do it with Skills being thrown in the loving trash. That's like half the SPECIAL system.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

RL-3 is my favorite companion, because robots are the superior form.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

bhlaab posted:

or the mysterious "Van Buren" trademark inxile has registered.
I still think that and Meantime are going to be combined into the adventures and conquests of time-traveling Martin Van Buren

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Minorkos posted:

at this point attaching the Fallout brand onto an old fashioned isometric RPG would probably decrease its value and turn off most buyers because it wasn't like Fallout 3

isometricness has its ups and downs. New Vegas proved you could make a good Fallout game in Bethesda's nightmare fuel engine. combat sucked, sure, but it kind of sucked in Fallouts 1 and 2, too, where it was just less visceral. every time Ian or Sulik died during a long enemy turn and I had to wait two minutes before I could load my game because the menu was inaccessible...loving ugh. combat has never been the games' strong suit.

Sharkopath posted:

Moira, the robot who thinks hes Button Gwinnet, Desmond and Calvert.

I admit I do remember Moira, just because I had to keep coming back to her for her stupid pointless quest. I assume the robot is the guy in the wig in the capital, which would be a joke you remembered, not a character. and I don't remember Desmond and Calvert but I only suffered through the game many-abortive-starts-and-finally-once. and I do remember they decided to murder Harold and Bob for no reason in FO3. and I know Liam Neeson was there, and there was 3Dog. anyone else? TUNNEL SNAKES RULE? basically, the only cast who form memories are the ones with gimmicks attached to them (Wasteland survival guide quest, joke robot, Liam Neeson, Fallout 1/2 character they decided to kill for no very good reason, annoying radio host, and whoever Desmond and Calvert were).

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH8HGslrINU

I missed this one, this has the Settlement building and Weapon/Power Armor modification

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

crawlkill posted:

I was playing FO1 and 2 at single-digit age while living in Northern California, so you may understand why I'm more invested in that setting than you are.

lol, are you some kind of human being or something?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

megalodong posted:

I will say, though I'm not liking most of what I'm seeing in it, the graphics and general art design are much nicer.

Eh I played 1 and 2 after playing (and really disliking) 3 and (and really liking) NV because I wanted to see where the series came from, and I still think they stand up as RPGs today. The inventory system is irredeemable crap, but the music, art design and what have you are still really strong. I think the "play the game with any type of character!" thing is overblown, becauase my diplomatic guys all petered out around just past the hub, but i like them a lot more than 3.

It's not just a nostalgia thing, some people prefer fallout the RPG over fallout the janky combat sim.

I like the isometric games as much as the first-person ones, but I admit there are several flaws in the isometric games (FO1 moreso), just as there are in the first-person ones. Putting the isometric games on a pedestal as some sort of gold standard does a disservice to the franchise as a whole IMO because it's much more than just those two games. I can understand liking them more than the first-person ones, but stuff like "THE FIRST PERSON GAMES RUINED THE FRANCHISE" is completely stupid.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

DoctorStrangelove posted:

lol, are you some kind of human being or something?

in basically every sense of the word yes since you seem so curious, you want dickpics or something?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
fawkes and tenpenny were awesome.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Volkerball posted:

fawkes and tenpenny were awesome.

the way my game played out I never met Tenpenny and I don't remember Fawkes but seem distantly to imagine he was some kind of super mutant

khy
Aug 15, 2005

crawlkill posted:

I admit I do remember Moira, just because I had to keep coming back to her for her stupid pointless quest. I assume the robot is the guy in the wig in the capital, which would be a joke you remembered, not a character. and I don't remember Desmond and Calvert but I only suffered through the game many-abortive-starts-and-finally-once. and I do remember they decided to murder Harold and Bob for no reason in FO3. and I know Liam Neeson was there, and there was 3Dog. anyone else? TUNNEL SNAKES RULE? basically, the only cast who form memories are the ones with gimmicks attached to them (Wasteland survival guide quest, joke robot, Liam Neeson, Fallout 1/2 character they decided to kill for no very good reason, annoying radio host, and whoever Desmond and Calvert were).

Moira everyone remembers. Tenpenny because who doesn't remember nuking megaton at least once? The vampire/cannibal cult always stuck with me, but that MIGHT just be because they had the schematics for my favorite weapon ever. Three dog because, well, he's loving Three Dog. And I feel Liberty Prime should count as a character.

The german scientist guy in the VR sim will always remain one of the most hosed-up people ever in my heart, I loved that character. Spending hundreds of years torturing, murdering, and then resetting people who were only vaguely aware of their hellish existence was definitely something that stuck with me. I won't pretend I remember his name at all.

As far as Followers I had a tendancy only to use Fawkes, Star Paladin Cross, Dogmeat, and occasionally Sergeant RL-3. The others I almost always forget about, though that's mostly because I play 'good' playthroughs in games roughly 95% of the time. I don't think I've ever recruited that evil slave girl.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

crawlkill posted:

the way my game played out I never met Tenpenny and I don't remember Fawkes but seem distantly to imagine he was some kind of super mutant

tenpenny had the funnest side quest in the game. and fawkes was in the main quest when you had to get the geck. he was a super mutant who was rational and could talk, and a companion.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

crawlkill posted:

isometricness has its ups and downs. New Vegas proved you could make a good Fallout game in Bethesda's nightmare fuel engine. combat sucked, sure, but it kind of sucked in Fallouts 1 and 2, too, where it was just less visceral. every time Ian or Sulik died during a long enemy turn and I had to wait two minutes before I could load my game because the menu was inaccessible...loving ugh. combat has never been the games' strong suit.

The robot is a character with a lot of funny dialogue and the whole idea around him is silly and cool, I don't see why that makes him not a character.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

crawlkill posted:

in basically every sense of the word yes since you seem so curious, you want dickpics or something?

Show em if you got em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Unless you mean you didn't like it and therefore I can't like it, which is absurd.

• Locked thread