Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Madcosby posted:

in case youre curious, my strong attack was only doing 50-70 points of damage. The fight was taking ages, survival wasnt the issue, or figuring out the attacks

You should have been doing 10 times that. Either your sword was garbage, or you were using a steel sword by mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Magni posted:

The Hunt abducted Yennefer as bait for Ciri. Geralt tracked them down and ended up offering them to take him instead. Eredin was amused enough to agree and actually kept his word. He had Yen mindwiped and ditched her into a corner of Nilfgaard. Later on, Ciri ends up saving Geralt and his comatose, equally amnesiac rear end lands near Kaer Morhen. That's how the first Witcher game starts.

That assumes Geralt is going to calmly think about the whole thing right after shoving the baby into the oven out of the blue.
And I always assumed he only wounded or KO'd the guards. That or Geralt just plain doesn't feel bad about killing people that attack him.

Actually Letho ditched Yen; Geralt was tracking the hunt with Letho & pals and left Yen in his care. Naturally those two grouches immediately got on each others' nerves and its unclear who ditched whom.

You don't have to kill the guards in the hym quest, you only have to not die for a while until the next cutscene.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Arglebargle III posted:

You don't have to kill the guards in the hym quest, you only have to not die for a while until the next cutscene.

Hm... whoops.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah I slaughtered those fools.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

So in the High Stakes tournament you end up in a fist-fight with Finneas. I cant bring out my sword, cast signs, or drink potions, but the guy punches about 1000x harder than I do and about three time as fast....what in the everloving gently caress is this about? It is the only thing this game has made me nerdrage about.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You can win any fistfight in the game by just using the guard button to counter a punch, riposting with light attacks until they start to guard, and repeating until you win.

Which is a shame, I wish fistfighting had an actual use or punching had some actual skills even if they were just jokey throwaway ones. Geralt of the North Star would be goddamn hilarious.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Arglebargle III posted:

Actually Letho ditched Yen; Geralt was tracking the hunt with Letho & pals and left Yen in his care. Naturally those two grouches immediately got on each others' nerves and its unclear who ditched whom.

They got captured by the Nilfgaardians according to Letho at the end of 2 and separated in prison. Then both got made their offers they couldn't refuse by Emhyr.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

CJacobs posted:

You can win any fistfight in the game by just using the guard button to counter a punch, riposting with light attacks until they start to guard, and repeating until you win.
Except when he hits me it is for about 1/5 of my health yet when I hit him it is for about 1/100th of his. It will take me all night, especially because I can only usually get 1 punch in after I successfully reposte and I only get 4 chances to gently caress up a reposte before he kills me. Its loving stupid. Everything else about this game is about making choices: I want to pull out my sword and stab the fucker.

edit and this is on Normal difficulty. I should not have to change the difficulty for a loving fistfight.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Bort Bortles posted:

Except when he hits me it is for about 1/5 of my health yet when I hit him it is for about 1/100th of his. It will take me all night, especially because I can only usually get 1 punch in after I successfully reposte and I only get 4 chances to gently caress up a reposte before he kills me. Its loving stupid. Everything else about this game is about making choices: I want to pull out my sword and stab the fucker.

edit and this is on Normal difficulty. I should not have to change the difficulty for a loving fistfight.
Is the guy like 500 levels above you or something

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Bort Bortles posted:

Except when he hits me it is for about 1/5 of my health yet when I hit him I is about 1/100th of his. It will take me all night, especially because I can only usually get 1 punch in after I successfully reposte and I only get 4 chances to gently caress up a reposte before he kills me. Its loving stupid. Everything else about this game is about making choices: I want to pull out my sword and stab the fucker.

you probably played it way below suggested level

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

TBH the level progression is probably the worst thing about this game design-wise. It doesn't seem to add anything. If the progression was entirely about killing increasingly difficult monsters for their mutagens to slot into the character screen and about unlocking better craftsmen or buying/finding better gear it would probably be better. What would really be lost if all drowners were scrubs and all arachasae were HAMs? They already have a lot of copy/paste monsters like Drowned Dead and Ekhidnas and Nekker Warriors to sub in for their lower-tier brethren, so why bother with leveling monsters or leveling Geralt? Just balance the progression around gear and mutagen bonuses. The designers could still gate players from content by attaching hidden loot levels to quests. For example, Tier X quests are designed for Tier X gear with Tier X mutagens, and give out Tier Y gear and/or a Tier Y mutagen.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Are runes that you find somehow different from the ones that you craft? I've found about a dozen Lesser Igni runes and Lesser Chernobog runes each, but I cannot combine them in the crafting screen to create the regular or Greater variants. Is this a bug or can you only combine crafted runes to make better ones?

On a completely unrelated note, I love the cheese dungeon and the fact that there is a whole school of magic devoted to the effects of huffing stinky cheese fumes. This game owns.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Best part is that tyromancy actually exists in real life.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
So I told Yen I didn't love her* after we bound the djinn and got it to reverse Geralt's idiot Wish from way back when, and now there's kinda not much in my quest log that can tells me which way I go next. I have a quest called "The Play's the Thing" in Novigrad that has a suggested level of 8. I'm level 22. Is that really the next place to go? If I lied and said the magic was still there, would she have had more quests for me?

*Yen's a stuck up bitch, Triss only threw herself at me out of a misplaced sense of gratitude for saving the mages, at least Keira was honest about her reasons for wanting a piece of the White Wolf. Forget all'a these sorceresses, Geralt going to be a confirmed bachelor forever, and the best drat dad to Ciri he can be.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Memento posted:

So I told Yen I didn't love her* after we bound the djinn and got it to reverse Geralt's idiot Wish from way back when, and now there's kinda not much in my quest log that can tells me which way I go next. I have a quest called "The Play's the Thing" in Novigrad that has a suggested level of 8. I'm level 22. Is that really the next place to go? If I lied and said the magic was still there, would she have had more quests for me?

*Yen's a stuck up bitch, Triss only threw herself at me out of a misplaced sense of gratitude for saving the mages, at least Keira was honest about her reasons for wanting a piece of the White Wolf. Forget all'a these sorceresses, Geralt going to be a confirmed bachelor forever, and the best drat dad to Ciri he can be.

The quest you mentioned is part of the main quest line in Novigrad, and you have to do it. Anything in that category in your quest log is something you have to do eventually.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

dyzzy posted:

The quest you mentioned is part of the main quest line in Novigrad, and you have to do it. Anything in that category in your quest log is something you have to do eventually.

Cool, thanks. Hoping it's more about talking and story than fighting, because ploughing through a bunch of enemies 15 levels lower than you gets kind of tiresome.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
That quest had one of my favorite sequences in the game iirc.

Nien
Apr 29, 2013

Memento posted:

If you read the books you won't change your mind.

There's a short story where Yen takes geralt to a town so she can hang out with a sorcerer friend. Geralt confronts him and says yeah well anyway I shagged her last night. The magic dude is well yeah I shagged her this morning. They try have a duel and it's all very sad.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
http://9gag.com/gag/aBr97Q1?ref=android

This ended up on 9gag.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Arglebargle III posted:

TBH the level progression is probably the worst thing about this game design-wise. It doesn't seem to add anything. If the progression was entirely about killing increasingly difficult monsters for their mutagens to slot into the character screen and about unlocking better craftsmen or buying/finding better gear it would probably be better. What would really be lost if all drowners were scrubs and all arachasae were HAMs? They already have a lot of copy/paste monsters like Drowned Dead and Ekhidnas and Nekker Warriors to sub in for their lower-tier brethren, so why bother with leveling monsters or leveling Geralt? Just balance the progression around gear and mutagen bonuses. The designers could still gate players from content by attaching hidden loot levels to quests. For example, Tier X quests are designed for Tier X gear with Tier X mutagens, and give out Tier Y gear and/or a Tier Y mutagen.

A correct post

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Nien posted:

If you read the books you won't change your mind.

There's a short story where Yen takes geralt to a town so she can hang out with a sorcerer friend. Geralt confronts him and says yeah well anyway I shagged her last night. The magic dude is well yeah I shagged her this morning. They try have a duel and it's all very sad.

I just read that short story yesterday, it was indeed super depressing.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

This is probably one of my top 10 favorite games of all time right now. Anyone else?
It's currently number 1 for me. It shares this spot with a couple other games though which are hard for me to compare to as I played them quite some time ago.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Memento posted:

I can't help but think you have mostly yourself to blame for this; the game is fairly clearly set up to take you to Velen, Novigrad then Skellige and while you can nominally do them out of order it's not exactly the best way to play the game.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Okay, I lost my poo poo at some lady calling Geralt "Jerald" on dandelion's quest.

The Adventures of Jerald: The Witcher Returns

edit: holy poo poo this quest just got BETTER!

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jun 15, 2015

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

That quest is hilarious.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Does the merchants' money resets at all, and if so, how often? I'm tired of trying to find someone with money to buy off some new armours and weapons I keep finding, but of course can't help but picking up, so if the other choice is to wait in some guy's backyard for a week it's a better idea than scouring the map.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
How the heck the crossbow becomes an instant kill weapon underwater and outside it just pokes drowners out? I kept avoiding using the crossbow because it never did that much damage out of water, but now getting those smugled crates is way easier

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

I'm guessing you can't mix and match pieces of sets? That bear armor war skirt looks dope as hell, but stamina being crippled doesn't sound too cool. Unless the penalty isn't actually that large for wearing heavy armor.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Bob NewSCART posted:

I'm guessing you can't mix and match pieces of sets? That bear armor war skirt looks dope as hell, but stamina being crippled doesn't sound too cool. Unless the penalty isn't actually that large for wearing heavy armor.

You can, armor bonuses are applied on a by-piece basis.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

CJacobs posted:

You can, armor bonuses are applied on a by-piece basis.

Alright, gently caress, this may have convinced me. If I'm playing on PC, is it a better idea to use a game pad? Because I have a 360 one made for Windows or whatever.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Bob NewSCART posted:

Alright, gently caress, this may have convinced me. If I'm playing on PC, is it a better idea to use a game pad? Because I have a 360 one made for Windows or whatever.

I would say most certainly, keyboard play requires a lot of finger gymnastics (for example, the dodge roll is on alt by default). Outside of the crossbow and aimed bomb throws, you don't need precise aiming, so the precision of a mouse really isn't necessary.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

I'm not much of an artist, sorry.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Bob NewSCART posted:

Keyboard seems fine, but I use my DS4 on my pc. Works great.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Honest Thief posted:

How the heck the crossbow becomes an instant kill weapon underwater and outside it just pokes drowners out? I kept avoiding using the crossbow because it never did that much damage out of water, but now getting those smugled crates is way easier
The crossbow has been specifically put into the game against underwater and flying creatures. It makes absolutely no sense to use it during regular fights but in those 2 instances it's crazy effective.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Keyboard seems fine, but I use my DS4 on my pc. Works great.

This, only I find the DS4's touchpad to be an absolute pain in the arse when you're on horseback.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Szurumbur posted:

Does the merchants' money resets at all, and if so, how often? I'm tired of trying to find someone with money to buy off some new armours and weapons I keep finding, but of course can't help but picking up, so if the other choice is to wait in some guy's backyard for a week it's a better idea than scouring the map.

It resets every 5 days or so. Just either drop your stuff (not like you need the money later on) or install this mod http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/5/

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

ZombieLenin posted:

So I ran into some witch hunters burning Moritz Diefenthel. Who the hell is he, he seems to know me and that I killed Menge.
Spoilers for the Novigrad quest chain 'A Matter of Life and Death': You meet him when you visit the Vegelbud Estate with Triss during the sidequest 'A Matter of Life and Death'. He's an old flame of Triss who is no longer on particularly good terms with her. She offers him a way out of Novigrad with the other mages, but he rebuffs her, as in the words of Triss, he'd rather have her as his charge than his leader. He knows of you, and he's aware that you fought the Witch Hunters who had come to arrest Albert Vegelbud - the same Witch Hunters who mistook you for Albert while in the maze when you swapped masks with him.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Generic Monk posted:

I can't help but think you have mostly yourself to blame for this; the game is fairly clearly set up to take you to Velen, Novigrad then Skellige and while you can nominally do them out of order it's not exactly the best way to play the game.

No that's fair, it's totally on me. I think I'm going to wait until someone comes out with a mod that keeps the game at your level to do a second play through, surely that will happen. I think when RedKit comes out for this, we're going to need a separate thread for people putting tits on mudcrabsdoublets on zeugls.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

It resets every 5 days or so. Just either drop your stuff (not like you need the money later on) or install this mod http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/5/

On the PS4, so no mods. I'll just occupy Fergus' smithy until he gets some money and try to stop picking up everything - it'd be nice if there was a screen showing the detailed stats of loot that's about to be picked up, or at the very least how much weight limit you have to spare. Oh well. Thanks for the help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I would say most certainly, keyboard play requires a lot of finger gymnastics (for example, the dodge roll is on alt by default). Outside of the crossbow and aimed bomb throws, you don't need precise aiming, so the precision of a mouse really isn't necessary.

LAlt is a perfectly fine button for me to hit, because I can just use my thumb (I mean, it's right next to the spacebar). LShift, on the other hand, is one button I can't ever get used to.