Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Technically that was to Britain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JaucheCharly posted:

Medical gin. Heh. Time to bring in the medical hookers.
my subjects are exceptionally well medicated, that's why there's herbs in what they drink. obviously

also the first revolver had little drawers to cover the pans

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

HEY GAL posted:

my subjects are exceptionally well medicated, that's why there's herbs in what they drink. obviously

also the first revolver had little drawers to cover the pans

I like the big gourd on the butt end of it so the user could club those catholic bastards when it stopped acting like a gun.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products
Can someone explain the origin of military radio call sign numbers? Why is the leader/commander the six - as in Big Duke 6. And why are the other numbers the numbers they are? I remember being surprised watching Band of Brothers when one of the radio men is handing the radio to the company commander and says "Easy Red, standby for the six." So they were using this number system at least as early as WWII (if the series is accurate in that way).

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Bravo.

:golfclap:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Hummer Driving human being posted:

Can someone explain the origin of military radio call sign numbers? Why is the leader/commander the six - as in Big Duke 6. And why are the other numbers the numbers they are? I remember being surprised watching Band of Brothers when one of the radio men is handing the radio to the company commander and says "Easy Red, standby for the six." So they were using this number system at least as early as WWII (if the series is accurate in that way).

As far as I can tell, it's just how it's always been. Disambig of "six" goes to this useless thing. 1-5 are platoon commanders, and Six is company CO?

I emailed my dad (former SF radioman) asking if he knows, will update when he replies.

A thing I do know is that "actual" means you're talking to the man himself. "Big Duke Six" is the CO's radio operator, Big Duke Six Actual is the, well, actual CO. Without the "actual," you're basically talking to his secretary.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Huh, Battlestar Galactica used Actual all willy nilly whenever anyone on the Galactica was speaking. How could you lie to me, television?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Delivery McGee posted:

I emailed my dad (former SF radioman) asking if he knows, will update when he replies.

Quit pestering me every time your internet friends ask about something. :bahgawd:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Ensign Expendable posted:

Huh, Battlestar Galactica used Actual all willy nilly whenever anyone on the Galactica was speaking. How could you lie to me, television?

Strange, I always remembered this being one of the things they nailed. A good excuse to rewatch the show I guess.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
It's been a while since I've rewatched BSG, but off-hand I can't remember any time somebody other than Adama identified themselves as "Galactica Actual".

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rincewind posted:

It's been a while since I've rewatched BSG, but off-hand I can't remember any time somebody other than Adama identified themselves as "Galactica Actual".

I think there may have been while he was incapacitated after being shot or if he delegated command to someone like Lee or Tigh.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

It was the French who actually made the tank layout everyone would use going on though.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Panzeh posted:

It was the French who actually made the tank layout everyone would use going on though.

I don't know what you're talking about.

British through and through.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Cyrano4747 posted:

And, just to get ahead of the inevitable questions - manyof the early problems in Vietnam were due to the ammo, not the gun. I forget the details right now, but the short version is that the military opted for a cheaper gunpowder than what the rifle was designed for and that cause all sorts of crazy fouling problems. They also cheaped out on chroming the barrels which is kind of unfortunate when you are in a tropical swamp.

The early M16 was infamous for reliability issues, and the corner-cutting was definitely a primary factor. As well as the cheap gunpowder and lack of chrome on the barrels, there weren't nearly enough cleaning kits issued early in the Vietnam war and it just compounded the problems with corrosion in the tropical environment.

To be fair to the Soviets, the Kalashnikov type has its own advantages that were relevant to Soviet needs. Its ease of manufacture and higher tolerances for bad ammunition loads made it easy for the Soviets and their clients to make it, and the AK's ubiquity in third-world countries testifies to that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chamale posted:

The early M16 was infamous for reliability issues, and the corner-cutting was definitely a primary factor. As well as the cheap gunpowder and lack of chrome on the barrels, there weren't nearly enough cleaning kits issued early in the Vietnam war and it just compounded the problems with corrosion in the tropical environment.

To be fair to the Soviets, the Kalashnikov type has its own advantages that were relevant to Soviet needs. Its ease of manufacture and higher tolerances for bad ammunition loads made it easy for the Soviets and their clients to make it, and the AK's ubiquity in third-world countries testifies to that.

Reading The Gun (a book on the Kalashnikov and its prevalence), the author believes that the ubiquity of the AK is not necessarily due to specific advantages regarding reliability or cheapness, but because the political situation of the time led to it being produced in massive amounts and the plans and/or guns handed to virtually any pro-Soviet or Soviet-backed state that wanted them until you could barely go anywhere without tripping over AKs.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Chamale posted:

The AK also had its share of development and teething problems. Manufacturing especially was a stone cold bitch, which is why they had to manufacture it with milled receivers initially rather than the stamped metal that it was always designed for.

One of the big reasons the AK comes off so much more positively in the mid 60s than the M16 is that by then the AK was a fairly mature, 20 year old design. Most weapons undergo significant revision in the first decade of their being issued. Hell, the hallowed Garand had its entire gas system redesigned between production starting and the US entry into WW2.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
In the history of firearms, how often is poor ammunition responsible for lovely reliability, and how often is it just lovely gun design?

What happens if you use lovely gunpowder in a musket?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Splode posted:

In the history of firearms, how often is poor ammunition responsible for lovely reliability, and how often is it just lovely gun design?

Technically muskets of the time always had "lovely gunpowder". Black powder inherently burns very dirty, leaving a lot of solid byproducts like soot behind when it burns. This isn't a major problem as long as you clean your gun regularly, but soldiers in battle can't do that. Because the gun gets dirtier and more filled with solid waste products with each shot, soldiers were issued badly undersized bullets that would be easy to ram down a filthy barrel. The downside is that these undersized balls had awful accuracy and you couldn't reliable expect to hit a man-sized target past 70 to 100 yards, even when accounting for most smoothbore muskets not having sights or only having a simple bead front sight like a shotgun.

That's not to say that dirtiness was the only problem. These old guns before the age of percussion caps had exposed priming powder in the pan, and a spring-loaded cover only does so much to keep rain or the washing waves at sea out of the powder. If black powder gets wet, it's useless. In fact, there's a part in the Les Miserables movie (and maybe the stage musical?) where the students leading the revolution end up losing most of their powder during the overnight lull in battle to rain; this is what leads Gavroche to go past the barricade to recover fresh cartridges and gets himself shot.

Biffmotron
Jan 12, 2007

I'm actually interested in this as well, since radio communications are a major part of what makes a modern military unit effective. Being able to transmit recon, orders, and get on-call fire support is a Big Deal. Conversely, trying to make sense of a situation over a staticky radio link, or worse trying to make yourself understood over that link while the enemy is trying to kill you, seems like a nightmare. Van Crevald's Command in War has a great bit on the Yom Kippur War, with all these Israeli generals in smoky radio trucks trying to coordinate a counter-offensive, and winding up without any sort of plan or written orders whatsover, but that whole chapter winds up being a mess of recrimination about Israeli politics rather than a scholarly work on command in war and its relation to communication technology.

So yeah, anybody have good sources or anecdotes about radio communication in war? Who did it first, who did it notably well, who did it notably poorly?

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

As we are learning in greys WW1 table top lets play. Real time communication with troops on the attack is a pretty big deal. Especially in an age of machine guns and artillery when a whole division can die before you can say "stop don't march there its full of gas and about to get shelled to gently caress"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Biffmotron posted:

So yeah, anybody have good sources or anecdotes about radio communication in war? Who did it first, who did it notably well, who did it notably poorly?

The German Blitzkrieg early in World War 2, with the invasions of Poland, France, Benelux, etc. The inclusion of radios in all German tanks helped, and the lack of radios in Allied vehicles led to some of those early losses even when numerical superiority was in their favor.

Being able to coordinate each branch of the armed forces and concentrations of force lent itself well to Blitzkrieg tactics.

Radio interception was a great success for groups like ULTRA and MAGIC. The British communications system, during the Battle of Britain for example, was also a very good use of the technology at hand.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Splode posted:

If you try to use the highest-quality 18th century gunpowder, which is poo poo, in a rifled musket, the barrel becomes so fouled after five shots that the gun is difficult to load and power and accuracy go out the window. A round bullet needs to be the same size as the bore to engage with the rifling and pick up spin, and when the barrel is fouled by black powder residue, it becomes difficult to load a ball down the muzzle. In 1848 Claude-Étienne Minié invented the Minie Ball, the first widely used bullet-shaped bullet. The base expanded when fired to engage with rifling, making it easier to load into a fouled barrel. This gave it a higher speed, and the elongated shape increased the penetrating power further, leading to appalling casualties in the American Civil War. But the low-quality gunpowder meant that soldiers firing the new Minie Balls still had to sometimes fire special gun-cleaning bullets, or find a way to stop and clean their barrel in mid-battle. The invention of pyrocellulose in 1884 allowed major powers to start making guns where powder fouling the barrel was no longer concern number one.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Biffmotron posted:

Radio communication is a thing that already exists in 1914, but it's entirely in the form of enormous, heavy, non-portable sets making GBS threads out Morse code to whoever cares to listen (cue anecdotes about Russians not using coded Morse code (ahem) and Germans thinking it must be a double bluff because surely nobody could be so stupid), and the strongest transmitter wins when two are working at once. For the armies it's only situationally useful, particularly when it comes to aeroplanes being able to transmit live intelligence reports to HQ and fall-of-shot corrections to the artillery (radio-equipped planes were a Thing before the war but the sets themselves were extremely unreliable and also added a shitload of weight to an inherently rickety machine), but you fundamentally still can't haul a wireless set across No Man's Land with you and routine orders are better sent by runner or field-telephone because (in theory! more on this next summer!) they're a lot harder to intercept. The holy grails are portability and voice transmission, and it took the mid-20s for vacuum tube technology to mature.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
WW2 Data

For Japanese munitions, we take a look at 70mm (7cm) which includes an illumination round, and a hollow-charge projectile.

For the Soviets, we finish up small arms munitions with the 14.5mm ammunition, used for their anti-tank rifles during World War 2, and we get an intro to Soviet mortar ammunition. Included with the introduction to mortars, we start that off with the 82mm Mortar Shells.

We also get to see what a Soviet "combat" box is, in relation to their mortar ammunition.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Trin Tragula posted:

Radio communication is a thing that already exists in 1914, but it's entirely in the form of enormous, heavy, non-portable sets making GBS threads out Morse code to whoever cares to listen (cue anecdotes about Russians not using coded Morse code (ahem) and Germans thinking it must be a double bluff because surely nobody could be so stupid), and the strongest transmitter wins when two are working at once. For the armies it's only situationally useful, particularly when it comes to aeroplanes being able to transmit live intelligence reports to HQ and fall-of-shot corrections to the artillery (radio-equipped planes were a Thing before the war but the sets themselves were extremely unreliable and also added a shitload of weight to an inherently rickety machine), but you fundamentally still can't haul a wireless set across No Man's Land with you and routine orders are better sent by runner or field-telephone because (in theory! more on this next summer!) they're a lot harder to intercept. The holy grails are portability and voice transmission, and it took the mid-20s for vacuum tube technology to mature.

This is how you get fleets of Dreadnoughts squaring off against each other and having to use signal flags for Command and Control.

e: incidentally on 'ahead of it's time': GPS. It's taken ages to mature but the battlefield implications of all units having access to satellite communications and intelligence sharing is immense. It's something that would have made Guderian ejaculate continuously until his body ran out of fluid

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jun 15, 2015

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Alchenar posted:

This is how you get fleets of Dreadnoughts squaring off against each other and having to use signal flags for Command and Control.

e: incidentally on 'ahead of it's time': GPS. It's taken ages to mature but the battlefield implications of all units having access to satellite communications and intelligence sharing is immense. It's something that would have made Guderian ejaculate continuously until his body ran out of fluid

One of the technologies resulting from "lessons learned" from Jutland was the Concentration Clock or Dial.

quote:

These large 'clocks' are commonly called range clocks, though the British called them concentration dials. Developed towards the end of WWI, they were part of a system to concentrate the fire of several ships onto the same target.

In the days before WWII, the most accepted formation for battleships was the line of battle, where ships would line up nose to tail and fire broadsides at the enemy. The British found that due to the poor visibility in the North Sea, further hampered by funnel and gunfire smoke, it was fairly rare for all the ships in the line of battle to actually see the enemy. So large dials resembling clock faces were added to the front of the fore mast, and to the rear of the main mast, trainable to 30 degrees off center. These clock faces were solid white disks (though a couple of ships had open centers) with black numbers from 0-9. Similar to a clock, there was a short hand and a long hand; the short hand was blue with a diamond at the end, and the long hand was red with a circle at the end.

Once a ship found the range to the target, it would display the range on the dials, with one hand indicating thousands of yards + 10,000, and the other hundreds of yards. So if both hands were on the 1, the range to target was 11,100 yards. Hash marks, called bearing indicators, were painted on the main gun turrets, giving observers the angle to target. With the range and bearing data from the ship in front or behind them to feed into their range keeping tables (fire control computers to us Yanks), and the proper adjustments made for the distance between the ships, their location in formation, etc, the gunnery officers on a battleship could target their guns on an enemy they could not see with a fair degree of accuracy. They could then pass the information on to the next ship in line, allowing the entire battle line to concentrate fire on an unseen enemy.

These range clocks were fitted to British, American, Brazilian, and French battleships and cruisers. However, as first radio communication, and then radio-equipped spotting aircraft allowed for the instant and accurate transfer of targeting information, these clocks were phased out. By the dawn of WWII, only a few ships still had them, mostly the older American dreadnoughts. As each went into the yard for a refit, the clocks were removed.

"Fairly Accurate" fire is something like a 1%-5% hit rate at combat ranges.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

Kenneth Best has a story that I sincerely hope does not include a direct quote from an officer's mouth. Spicer-Simson's entirely ridiculous Tanganyikan expedition is now taking ship for Cape Town, orders arrive for the Battle of Bellewaarde, and the French Army fires the last of its 500,000 prepatory shells onto Vimy Ridge.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Polikarpov posted:

"Fairly Accurate" fire is something like a 1%-5% hit rate at combat ranges.

Quoth Wikipedia on the death of Bismarck: "The four British ships fired more than 2,800 shells at Bismarck, and scored more than 400 hits"

A good bit of that was at point-blank range, and it wasn't exactly a small target, but still only 14% connected.

Naval gunnery: you're lucky to hit the broad side of a barn from inside.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Delivery McGee posted:

Quoth Wikipedia on the death of Bismarck: "The four British ships fired more than 2,800 shells at Bismarck, and scored more than 400 hits"

A good bit of that was at point-blank range, and it wasn't exactly a small target, but still only 14% connected.

Naval gunnery: you're lucky to hit the broad side of a barn from inside.

Uh, 'point blank range' here equals 3 km away.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Fangz posted:

Uh, 'point blank range' here equals 3 km away.

within visual distance is pretty close for battleship combat

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Disinterested posted:

within visual distance is pretty close for battleship combat

My point is that calling naval gunnery inaccurate on this basis is rather silly. You're trying to shoot a moving target from a great distance while compensating for rolling seas and wind, while also being shot at and trying to fire as quickly as possible. And at the time, doing all of this visually. This is not easy.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Fangz posted:

My point is that calling naval gunnery inaccurate on this basis is rather silly. You're trying to shoot a moving target from a great distance while compensating for rolling seas and wind, while also being shot at and trying to fire as quickly as possible. And at the time, doing all of this visually. This is not easy.

Well, yes. It is indeed very difficult. That's why naval gunnery is hilariously inaccurate compared to most every other form of gunnery. "Inaccurate" isn't a value judgment, it's just a statement of fact.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Given that most battleship combat was over the horizon (15,000 yards/meters was ideal, the Brits opened up on Bismarck from 15 miles/24km), 2 miles/3km is knife-fighting range.

A lot of the reason for that 1-5% hit rate is because the target had time to turn away while the shells were in the air. At 3km you're boresighting the big guns and the shells are in the air for a few seconds rather than half a minute.

James Cameron's documentary on Bismarck is on the youtubs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woDk-H4ZOLY

Yeah, Bismarck was scuttled. The Brits weren't trying to sink her -- Rodney was aiming high from point-blank range to sweep away her superstructure, and King George V was standing off and putting plunging fire through the decks. It was brutal calculated murder to get revenge for Hood.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

In their defense they are firing from and at pitching and rolling platforms afloat in a sea that is rarely providing meteorological conditions for perfect visibility. On top of that there's smoke from practically everything, evasive maneuvers, camouflage designed to confound range and direction-finding, and the general proclivities of the Mk. I Eye-brain assembly to just roll with the first thing that looks like a recognizable pattern no matter how wrong it is.

Naval Gunnery: at best, a horrendous waste of ammunition which is only effective through areal saturation of the target's expected location.

(I mean these days people are good about landing direct hits with large guns such as artillery and tanks but that's when nearly everything has computer assistance and gyroscopes, and even then a missile is better and more likely to be on hand)

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Which is why radar rangefinding was such a game changer in naval warfare. All of a sudden you go from ranging shots for half an hour to find the range to straddling the target in the first salvo and scoring hits with the second, never losing the range.

Cool info about the range clocks, when I saw them in World of Warships I thought they were genuine clocks, like clocktowers in a city :shobon:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

ArchangeI posted:

Which is why radar rangefinding was such a game changer in naval warfare. All of a sudden you go from ranging shots for half an hour to find the range to straddling the target in the first salvo and scoring hits with the second, never losing the range.

Cool info about the range clocks, when I saw them in World of Warships I thought they were genuine clocks, like clocktowers in a city :shobon:

Yeah, the Iowa and NJ straddling a destroyer at 25 km is all kinds of impressive, even though it didn't get hit before it got to 30 km and they gave up the chase.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Would the shells these battleships fired go off if they missed, or just tragically plop into the ocean?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Splode posted:

Would the shells these battleships fired go off if they missed, or just tragically plop into the ocean?

Depends on the fuzing, if its fuzed of course.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

I've heard two different theories for the "six thing". Both stem from the fact that, In WWII, radio nets only went down to the regimental level in infantry units. The first is that there were typically five subordinate units on the tactical net in a regiment: the three battalions, the regimental guns, and the anti-tank company. Hence, 1 thru 5, with 6 being the regiment commander. The second is that the regimental commander was a colonel, or O-6, so asking for "the six" meant the commander.

As to why its use continued postwar: the "six" designation kind of fell nicely into battalion-level radio nets after WWII: each staff section got its staff designator (1-4), then 5/6/7 were the XO, CO, and CSM respectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Splode posted:

Frequently, they'd go off to scatter their dye-marker payload. Spotting the fall of your shells in relation to your target is crucial for adjusting your aim, and when you have a bunch of ships shooting at the same target you need to be able to tell which ones are your shells and which ones are some other ships, so different ships would have different colors of dye packed into their shells.

• Locked thread