Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

mackintosh posted:

This is exactly what I'm afraid of. I hope I can kill them.

It'll be the Futurama episode 'The Luck of the Fryrish'.

You'll spend the whole game looking for your child only to discover they died of old age 100 years ago and were an awesome person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

find an incinerated babby corpse, press X to pay respect

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

What boggles my mind about this whole thing is that whenever the next game in the Fallout series rolls around, 80% of what you might've done as the previous character is lost to history, in-universe. Sure, you defeated A and saved B and known throughout the Wasteland as C, but nowhere is it memorialized the little details. Maybe it's just be, but I could never bring myself to kvetch over the role-playing part of things without a ME3-style system in place.

I'm actually okay with that, because it means each individual game can be its own beast and the designers can give you maximum agency. The ME system made sense for a limited series about a single individual, but Fallout is more the story of the world, and it's more important that that world react within a game than between games. if you made a game with the variability of FO1/2/NV and tried to slave its sequels to a savegame, you just wouldn't have the resources to make another game of the same scope building on all those dominoes.

cthulhoo posted:

excuse me HOLD Y thank you we're not savages

the "forage" animation is five seconds long thank you

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

mackintosh posted:

One thing I'm curious about, having watched the presentation just now - why go to all the trouble of naming the baby, if your family supposedly gets incinerated, or dies via some other means? Seems like an awful lot of attention to detail for a short opening sequence.

I'm definitely up for finding your own custom son/daughter alive in the wasteland and picking them up as a companion.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

cthulhoo posted:

This certainly brings back cringe-worthy memories.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

MisterBibs posted:

What boggles my mind about this whole thing is that whenever the next game in the Fallout series rolls around, 80% of what you might've done as the previous character is lost to history, in-universe. Sure, you defeated A and saved B and known throughout the Wasteland as C, but nowhere is it memorialized the little details. Maybe it's just be, but I could never bring myself to kvetch over the role-playing part of things without a ME3-style system in place.

That sounds like it would be nice on paper but you need to consider that Fallout is a series that spans over three platforms now. A little questionnaire or something at the start would be neat, though.

I just thought of something, though. Do you think this Fallout will reference the others like New Vegas or 2 and even 3 or will it just be another self-contained kind of game?

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

I'm definitely up for finding your own custom son/daughter alive in the wasteland and picking them up as a companion.

i'm the day 1 "rape your kid" mod

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Steve2911 posted:

I checked the timeline and Fallout 3 starts 200 years after the war, Fallout 1 80 years after, so unless it's it's a SERIOUS prequel, you'd be picking up a withered ghoul, at best

cthulhoo posted:

i'm the day 1 "rape your kid" mod

does the above information make this better or worse

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
I get angrier every single day that some people, many people, harbor anything but disgust for bethesdas games. One day it will kill me irl.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I think all the stuff from the trailer looked good and I am looking forward to this game.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

mackintosh posted:

One thing I'm curious about, having watched the presentation just now - why go to all the trouble of naming the baby, if your family supposedly gets incinerated, or dies via some other means? Seems like an awful lot of attention to detail for a short opening sequence.

Fallout 4 is literally going to be reverse Fallout 3 where you find your kid and try to stop/help them from doing the dumbest poo poo ever.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Have to say, didn't give a poo poo about this game until the E3 presentation, making your own settlements is right up my alley.

I want to make Ma-Ma from Dress and peddle stims. :sax:

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Theta Zero posted:

That sounds like it would be nice on paper but you need to consider that Fallout is a series that spans over three platforms now. A little questionnaire or something at the start would be neat, though.

I just thought of something, though. Do you think this Fallout will reference the others like New Vegas or 2 and even 3 or will it just be another self-contained kind of game?

not just three platforms, but also 120+ years of world. the games aren't tight sequels. there are huge gaps between them. it's not really feasible. the entire landscape of the world would change.

and who knows, it's Bethesda, they'll probably deliberately declare New Vegas noncanon for no reason and mention how the water was all purified but then a mudcrab died in it and it's all irradiated again

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

You know the settlement stuff will be like every similar openworld game thing ever right?

It'll look great for the first couple of hours, endless possibilities, and then all the limitations will become apparent and you'll never touch it again.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Theta Zero posted:

Probably a plot twist where they're also alive or something.

Vault 111 is really vault 101 and you are the dad.

It's a prequel.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

i like how the house you place is already dilapidated and rotten

:effort:

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

megalodong posted:

You know the settlement stuff will be like every similar openworld game thing ever right?

It'll look great for the first couple of hours, endless possibilities, and then all the limitations will become apparent and you'll never touch it again.

"this is so cool! wait, you mean it means nothing at all? it's a glorified, buggy minigame, and Bethesda's AI can't path around that saguaro I put on the bridge? oh I'll come back to it later"

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Theta Zero posted:

I'm not comfortable enough to toxx myself over it, but it wouldn't surprise me if most of NV isn't discussed. There's multiple outcomes, the outcomes have zero impact on the story at hand (seeing how it's on the other side of the country), was made by others, and was more of a side-story than a true sequel.

3 has a lot more chance to be referenced.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

crawlkill posted:

not just three platforms, but also 120+ years of world. the games aren't tight sequels. there are huge gaps between them. it's not really feasible. the entire landscape of the world would change.

and who knows, it's Bethesda, they'll probably deliberately declare New Vegas noncanon for no reason and mention how the water was all purified but then a mudcrab died in it and it's all irradiated again

That or the water purification didn't solve all the problems, or somehow created new issues.

Wasn't Fallout 2 taking the ending of 1 and going more than a generation after it anyway? I don't see how a fairly extended timeline (200 years might be a bit much, though) after the start of the war is all that controversial considering the amount of time and world development between 1 and 2.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

crawlkill posted:

I checked the timeline and Fallout 3 starts 200 years after the war, Fallout 1 80 years after, so unless it's it's a SERIOUS prequel, you'd be picking up a withered ghoul, at best

Your character somehow doesn't age for 200 years so it's hardly a massive stretch to assume something similar could happen to the babby.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

megalodong posted:

And then someone will expand upon the concept with a mod. Like FO3's Realtime Settler which was great, but could have used the help of some pre-established ground work which FO4 has.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Speaking of endings, you guys are so hung up on the dumb android angle you guys don't even see the more obvious twist they're going to pull out of their asses. They're going to make 'your' kid the main antagonist of this sequal.

E: beaten.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jun 15, 2015

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Steve2911 posted:

Your character somehow doesn't age for 200 years so it's hardly a massive stretch to assume something similar could happen to the babby.

Vault 111's experiment will probably be cryogenics.

Somebody should compile a list of these Fallout predictions people are throwing out and repost them when the game is released.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Neeksy posted:

That or the water purification didn't solve all the problems, or somehow created new issues.

Wasn't Fallout 2 taking the ending of 1 and going more than a generation after it anyway? I don't see how a fairly extended timeline (200 years might be a bit much, though) after the start of the war is all that controversial considering the amount of time and world development between 1 and 2.

It was like ~60 years after? Tandi, a young woman from 1, was old in 2.

Monster w21 Faces posted:

And then someone will expand upon the concept with a mod. Like FO3's Realtime Settler which was great, but could have used the help of some pre-established ground work which FO4 has.

Hopefully not as a paid mod, but fair enough.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Neeksy posted:

I'm saying savegame imports are unfeasible because the timeline of the world is very stretched out. it's not three sequential stories like ME. It went war|80 years|FO1|80 years|FO2|40 years|FO3|a few years|New Vegas. across decades of time, the choices you'd made would either be inconsequential or totally critical. I think it's okay each new Fallout game starts with its own assumptions about how the previous games went. there are wayyy bigger problems with the franchise than that.

timeline's on the wiki, if you're curious: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

crawlkill posted:

does the above information make this better or worse

It'd be a 200 year old adult in the BODY of an 8 year old girl of course duh so no laws would be broken of course let's get our conventions right here

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Back Hack posted:

Speaking of endings, you guys are so hung up on the dumb android angle you guys don't even see the more obvious twist they're going to pull out of their asses. They're going to make 'your' kid the main antagonist of this sequal.

That seems kinda like a "Well duh" thing.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I'm not feeling the whole voiced protagonist thing. Reading Bethesda style dialogue is bad enough, I'm not looking forwards to hearing it as well. Also it will undoubtedly make modding dialogue related stuff a pain.
Speaking of modding: Bethesda.net is going to be the pay-for-mods platform, isn't it?:negative: I really hope Bethesda will open the GUI for modding themselves in the GECK2.0.

Oh well. At least the weapon crafting looked pretty neat.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Steve2911 posted:

I thought people were saying you're a roborg or something, I'm honestly trying to resist knowledge on this topic

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Also if Bethesda put any real thought at all into the ending I'm going to be pissed. Who remembers or even cares about how FO3 or NV ended? NV was a great game but the ending was 100% balls and FO3 was just the predictable culmination to a dumb plot where I couldn't kill my dad straight off because he was surrounded by Bethesda walls

Bethesda games go:

Tutorial/"hey here's your story" -> throw all that out of the window -> 200 hours of madness -> "I should get this main quest line done so my quest log is tidier" -> whatever cutscene you get I guess

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
They managed to make up for bad graphics and probably a bad story with a city building aspect.

I accept this trade. My money is nearly theirs.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

They managed to make up for bad graphics and probably a bad story with a city building aspect.

I accept this trade. My money is nearly theirs.

*places a rotten prefab shack on a 10 year old looking ground texture* ah finally a feature i always wanted, city building *satisfied smile*

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

mackintosh posted:

This is my major complaint. I hate having a voice in a, supposedly, blank slate RPG. If they wanted this to be an open world Mass Effect clone, they could have just said so, and ran with it. Having a voice actor makes me feel like playing a character, rather than that character being my avatar. It's just not the same. It doesn't make it any less enjoyable, but it changes my perception of the game.

Yes it is pretty clear this game is going to be heavily influenced by Mass Effect. Which says far more about Bethesda than any writer possibly could.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Epic High Five posted:

NV was a great game but the ending was 100% balls

I didn't care about the actual plot conclusion but I liked the ending in general because I'm a loving sucker for "you did good and/or bad and the waste sucks and/or flourishes by your hand" slideshows

this was the final nail in the coffin with DA:I for me, that I did every goddamn loving thing in the game and DA:O had had a proper slideshow ending and Inquisition didn't even pretend to care that I'd fixed all the problems in the world

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Things I'm excited for:
- SimFallout 2015
- Weapon/armor modding (looks so much more robust than what even the modding scene has put out)

Things I'm not excited for:
- Having a voice
- Starting the game in a relationship
- Being assumed straight or closeted from the word "go"

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

QuantaStarFire posted:

- Starting the game in a relationship

post your tumblr

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011
I guess someone better start working on a day 1 mod to replace the spouse and the baby with cats. Looks great otherwise. :dance:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

QuantaStarFire posted:

Heh, poo poo. I didn't even think about that.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 29 days!)

I was going to wait for goty edition, but dam I want a working pipboy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I really hope the "evil" voice lines makes your character talk like some evil Batman wannabe.

• Locked thread