Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Long story short, your finger shouldn't be on the trigger unless you're ready to fire. By placing your finger on the trigger as you aim at a person, you're making the decision to be one muscle movement away from murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Devor posted:

Don't worry, you would never catch one of your guys doing this.

Because there's no way that a cop would turn in one of their brethren for violating department policies in a manner that endangers the public safety.

I wasn't a cop, and the military actually takes this poo poo pretty seriously.

So no, you don't know what you're talking about.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Oh goody gumdrops, we're back to comparing soldiers and the police again.

Fair enough, though anytime I read something that makes me think "that wouldn't even be appropriate on a combat patrol", I kind of feel like its a valid point to make.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Thirty accidental discharges in a year is loving hilariously bad and not even training or new equipment suffices as an explanation. It's just the same disgusting incompetence and laziness that permeates every other corner of police work.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Jarmak posted:

I wasn't a cop, and the military actually takes this poo poo pretty seriously.

So no, you don't know what you're talking about.

Fair enough, though anytime I read something that makes me think "that wouldn't even be appropriate on a combat patrol", I kind of feel like its a valid point to make.

:jerkbag: Sorry that when someone says 'on patrol' in the cops thread, in discussion about the actions of cops with weapons, I interpreted that as referring to police, and not military. I'm glad you straightened us all out about how our nation ostensibly treats Iraqis and Afghans better than black Americans.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Having your finger on the trigger was barely OK for double-action revolvers, and honestly it was a bad old legacy training. Really, too much training in general makes a single action of drawing and firing; this is one area where techniques developed for competition aren't helpful. If police need to draw their weapon but have not decided to fire, they should be at low ready with their finger straight.

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVefRV5so9U

Also,

Judge dismisses animal cruelty charges against police officer Robert Melia for sex with cows

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/judge-dismisses-animal-cruelty-charges-police-officer-robert-melia-sex-cows-article-1.380819

Professionals.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

quote:

A New Jersey judge has dismissed animal cruelty charges against a cop accused of committing a sex act with young cows, saying a grand jury had no way of knowing whether the animals were "tormented."

Moorestown police officer Robert Melia, who is currently suspended, allegedly engaged in oral sex acts with five calves in Southampton in 2006.

The judge's dismissal does not mark the end of Melia's legal woes.

He, along with girlfriend Heather Lewis, was arrested in April 2008 for sexually assaulting three girls over a five-year-period.

Authorities investigating those charges reportedly uncovered videos on his computer of a girl being "subjected to sexual activity" in addition to taped encounters between Melia and the calves.

:cop:

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

loving New Jersey.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Rent-A-Cop posted:

loving New Jersey.

No, cows. They're loving cows.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
the dude literally hosed a cow and the judge is still covering for him
what do you have to do to get fired from the force at this point

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dazzling Addar posted:

Report another cop for police brutality.

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

I'd rather be a pig than a fascist
Livestock matters!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Jose posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jun/14/woman-strip-searched-lwins-damages-met-police

The police in the UK can also not be trusted to help someone who clearly needs it, arresting them instead. At least nobody got killed

I wish I could tell the story of a roofied rape victim who was at some point before the SART exam taken from the hospital and arrested for filing a false report. But attorney client.
You'll never guess who the alledged perp was. The DA filed against her too, thankfully the judge was as livid as I was and dismissed it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Pohl posted:

Why is it always Texas or Florida, the freedom states?

Because you are a biggot with no critical thinking skills?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...3ddc_story.html

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Dazzling Addar posted:

Actually he sucked off some baby cows.

Which is somehow even weirder.

Dazzling Addar posted:

I think he's probably fired on account of bein' in jail for the whole molesting kids thing.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I think he's probably fired on account of bein' in jail for the whole molesting kids thing.

"currently suspended"

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Actually he sucked off some baby cows.

Which is somehow even weirder.

No, he got some baby cows to suck him off.

Which is silghtly less weird but probably a much worse idea for reasons unrelated to law or ethics.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

If someone is filming a police officer, and the cop says "surrender your phone I need it for evidence", is that a cue to just run away as fast as possible? Does trying to perform an unlawful order give you any right to refuse?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yawgmoft posted:

If someone is filming a police officer, and the cop says "surrender your phone I need it for evidence", is that a cue to just run away as fast as possible? Does trying to perform an unlawful order give you any right to refuse?

The most likely result of running from a cop, even one giving an unlawful order, is being shot in the back (doubly so if you're black or Latino).

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Yawgmoft posted:

I guess if you're white and you're confident that you can outrun the guy then sure, a cop probably won't shoot a white person in the back, but if he catches you he's gonna hurt you pretty bad for not doing what he says.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dazzling Addar posted:

Animal sex isn't illegal in a lot of states. Its one of those things you think would be banned everywhere but it turns out its not. Same with loving corpses, people who get caught doing it have to be charged with illegal removal of medical waste or something. The only way you can get someone on an animal sex charge in some places is by charging them with animal cruelty.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Powercrazy posted:

Because you are a biggot with no critical thinking skills?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...3ddc_story.html

I can't take a joke :qq:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

pentyne posted:

Animal sex isn't illegal in a lot of states. Its one of those things you think would be banned everywhere but it turns out its not. Same with loving corpses, people who get caught doing it have to be charged with illegal removal of medical waste or something. The only way you can get someone on an animal sex charge in some places is by charging them with animal cruelty.

The judge dismissed the case because the judge decided the grand jury wouldn't be able to decide if having sex with animals was tormenting them.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
The rise of vindictive CPS strikes is as bad as SWATting people.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

FRINGE posted:

It's just scare-mongering to make people feel safe for locking their kids up when in reality 95% of child abductions/abuse are going to be committed by close personal associates of the family not trench-coat guy offering candy in a van.

Its far, far easier to go after soft targets like this then try to convince the public that the real threat is always going to come from someone close that you trust.

Still, 10 is too young to be walking an entire mile with a 6 year old. Trips down the block yeah, but if the law says 13 is the minimum to be "in care of" another child that seems pretty reasonable. I'd expect that parents not out to make a statement would've just shadowed the kids, so they parents know they're safe and the children get to feel like they've gain responsibility.

quote:

The Meitivs say their son told police that he and his sister were not doing anything illegal and are allowed to walk. Usually, their mother said, the children carry a laminated card with parent contact information that says: “I am not lost. I am a free-range kid.” The kids didn’t have the card that day.

If you have to print a card because you're worried you're kids are going to get picked up you know for a fact it will become and issue and you are daring the world to challenge you.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

pentyne posted:

If you have to print a card because you're worried you're kids are going to get picked up you know for a fact it will become and issue and you are daring the world to challenge you.

It's a reasonable thing to challenge. I used to walk my sister to and from school (3 miles round trip) when I was 8-12 and her being 2 years younger.

Montgomery County doesn't even seem that dangerous in terms of crime statistics.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Pohl posted:

I can't take a joke :qq:

:ironicat:

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
I am having a bad Monday so far. Anyone remember that time someone in here posted about how cops in one of the largest cities in America are trained to have their finger on the trigger when aiming at a target and we had a good laugh about how farcical that is? Would someone please dig that up so I can have a good laugh to cheer myself up?

Anyway, AJE is bringing their Fault Lines series back to Baltimore to take a look at the city in the wake of the riots. This metaphor for the city is particularly apt, especially the Western District:

quote:

Baltimore as Gaza. And, in case anyone misses that, you have city police described as an "occupation force" and a "legalized gang."

But since the cops only kick the poo poo out of black people under the guise of "safety" and have routinely in the past been caught arresting people without probable cause just to take them down to central booking to record fingerprints/DNA/tattoos. Funny how the BPD is all up in arms about their own getting hit by questionable PC!

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck broken windows and O'Malley for bringing it to the city. It's somehow been normalized among the whites in the city/surrounding counties (which unironically have pretty sizable KKK contingents) so we get to see plenty of fwd: fwd: fwd: BLACK STRAWMEN DOING STRAWMEN THINGS so nothing will change there. Thankfully, however, whites are about a 1/3rd minority inside the city and even with having enough wealth to afford to vote the bloc can't hopefully do much to stop the shifting winds in the city. Hopefully at the least, Freddie Gray dying starts pushing people to fix the broken rear end police department in the city.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

pentyne posted:

Still, 10 is too young to be walking an entire mile with a 6 year old.
You have a low opinion of children's capabilities. These kids were properly trained for a 15-minute walk through one of the safest urban areas in the country. This is something any child should be capable of by age 10.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I don't know where the gently caress all you guys grew up, but when I was 10 I was perfectly capable of walking a mile home each day, and I never got raped or murdered, and neither did any of my friends who also walked home every day. I really can't believe how so many people can forget what a child even is, and just assume that they're all a bunch of blindly wandering retarded monkeys that will walk right into the ocean and drown if you don't constantly supervise them.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
How the hell did what the Baltimore police end up doing somehow earn the name of "broken window policing"? (And the same goes for the stupid New York frisking policy) It is, like... the exact opposite of the concept in so many ways. It does not help the goal, it does not employ the methods, it does not in any way serve the purpose of broken windows policy.

It's just one of those things where the authorities take what looks like a good proposal and then uses it as an excuse to increase their own power while barely paying it lip service, isn't it? (see: Communism)

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

GlyphGryph posted:

How the hell did what the Baltimore police end up doing somehow earn the name of "broken window policing"? (And the same goes for the stupid New York frisking policy) It is, like... the exact opposite of the concept in so many ways. It does not help the goal, it does not employ the methods, it does not in any way serve the purpose of broken windows policy.

It's just one of those things where the authorities take what looks like a good proposal and then uses it as an excuse to increase their own power while barely paying it lip service, isn't it? (see: Communism)

Police State double-think is nothing new.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

Anyone remember that time someone in here posted about how cops in one of the largest cities in America are trained to have their finger on the trigger when aiming at a target and we had a good laugh about how farcical that is? Would someone please dig that up so I can have a good laugh to cheer myself up?
I realize that I'm probably going to have to keep repeating this because of the primacy effect, but the only basis for that is a single unsourced line in a LA Times article.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

ChairMaster posted:

I don't know where the gently caress all you guys grew up, but when I was 10 I was perfectly capable of walking a mile home each day, and I never got raped or murdered, and neither did any of my friends who also walked home every day. I really can't believe how so many people can forget what a child even is, and just assume that they're all a bunch of blindly wandering retarded monkeys that will walk right into the ocean and drown if you don't constantly supervise them.

It isn't the kids they don't trust, it's their neighbors and any strange individual in the area.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Talmonis posted:

It isn't the kids they don't trust, it's their neighbors and any strange individual in the area.

A stable non-paranoid and healthy outlook indeed.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Talmonis posted:

They're all out to get me! And my kids! Every single neighbourhood in the world is just full of evil child murderers and kidnappers and any kid that walks home will definitely be killed! What do you mean the world is actually a safer place than it's ever been? That's bullshit, everyone's out to get me and we must always be as vigilant as possible!

I have no idea where these kinds of people grew up that they think that everyone is after their dumb lovely kids. Or if they think that all kids are so fuckin dumb that they'll just follow a stranger and do whatever they say no matter what. Is it Somalia or some middle eastern country or something?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Powercrazy posted:

A stable non-paranoid and healthy outlook indeed.

It's the most common one, unfortunately.

ChairMaster posted:

They're all out to get me! And my kids! Every single neighbourhood in the world is just full of evil child murderers and kidnappers and any kid that walks home will definitely be killed! What do you mean the world is actually a safer place than it's ever been? That's bullshit, everyone's out to get me and we must always be as vigilant as possible!

I have no idea where these kinds of people grew up that they think that everyone is after their dumb lovely kids. Or if they think that all kids are so fuckin dumb that they'll just follow a stranger and do whatever they say no matter what. Is it Somalia or some middle eastern country or something?

People watch child rapists and murderers on the news. They watch Dateline with Chris Haaansen. Nobody wants their kid to wind up like that, and the media dosen't help. Statistics don't really matter to someone who's afraid for their kid. "That 1% has to come from somewhere."

The stereotype is the white van with no windows, and some guy just grabbing the kid and tossing them in the back. It doesn't have to be realistic or common to be a concern. The possible becomes an obsession for them.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

FRINGE posted:

Purely because it's a waste of CPS' limited resources. They're not going to do anything unless there's some overwhelming danger or evidence of abuse or neglect.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
[quote="FRINGE" post=" "] 446583354
The rise of vindictive CPS strikes is a. s bad as SWATting people.
[/quote]

It isn't really a rise, its a spread: state government bodies are starting to treat affluent and middle class and white families the way they have always treated poor and brown families. Partly its the collapse of wink-and-nod racially biased reporting and enforcement, partly its the collapse of the middle class rendering everyone relatively poor and therefore relatively vulnerable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

Pretty much. Instead of physically cleaning up run-down neighborhoods to deter criminals as broken windows theory actually prescribes, we just flood them with police that treat all of the residents as criminals once they run out of petty vandals to arrest.

• Locked thread