Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Furnace can't sustain a good monologue at his present level of development. One page, max. Other people will monologue AT and ABOUT him for ever so many pages, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I think he might kill the kickstarter donation character and the other witnesses just to hide his shame

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Yeah I'm expecting two pages of the woman shouting at him crap we already know about him

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Rei_ posted:

Yeah I'm expecting two pages of the womanthe author in a wig shouting at him crap we already know about him

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
So, Furnace is a Libertarian not a right winger, totally different.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Sweet burn by that government appointed therapist. Really helps him do his job I'm sure!

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

See, this is what I was talking about. We've now seen Furnace express something that is not "I am a total rear end in a top hat jerk at all times" and even interact with another human being in a somewhat positive way, and the setup makes more sense.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
At least he finally has a real people name now.

The comments section is still mostly vitriolic about him, despite how easily the actual mass-murderers have been forgiven.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Does this guy even read the script out loud? Who loving talks like that?

Atmus posted:

The comments section is still mostly vitriolic about him,
Must be nice to still have suspension of disbelief. They're just gobbling this poo poo up

Jackard fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 12, 2015

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

reignonyourparade posted:

Sweet burn by that government appointed therapist. Really helps him do his job I'm sure!

If I had this job and figured that by nudging this guy into going Chernobyl would get him on the black list, I'd probably take a dig at his politics too. This guy is way too dangerous to be left running around, at least from the non-Illuminati perspective.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Step up I guess from the extra pages I was expecting of that one girl lecturing him more, but the dialogue just feels really stilted.

Also add another to the list of non-Alisons who are experiencing issues with the drawbacks/limitations of their power.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I'm starting to think that this is a webcomic best read every few months: going back and rereading the chapter things are actually pretty zippy, all told (with the exception of Paladin being too thick to really understand what Hubris is and Patrick taking a million years to demonstrate it to the reader). I still think things are going to backfire pretty hard on Paladin, to tell you the truth. My opinion of this chapter improved a lot on a reread, it's just a shame about the format.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Jackard posted:

Jock bullies in bad 80s teen movies.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Jackard posted:

Must be nice to still have suspension of disbelief. They're just gobbling this poo poo up

The strip feels like it's falling into the same pitfall that a lot of "political" fiction dives right into. A character's "goodness" runs directly parallel to how closely they match the author's politics, and people who don't are reduced to being two-dimensional strawmen. It's like reading a comic book written by Bizarro Ayn Rand.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

EndOfTheWorld posted:

The strip feels like it's falling into the same pitfall that a lot of "political" fiction dives right into. A character's "goodness" runs directly parallel to how closely they match the author's politics, and people who don't are reduced to being two-dimensional strawmen. It's like reading a comic book written by Bizarro Ayn Rand.

Honestly, I feel Furnace confiding his concerns to his therapist then covering up his anxieties with a gay joke and false bravado makes him more likable as a character. Or maybe I'm just enjoying the lack of monologue.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Honestly, I feel Furnace confiding his concerns to his therapist then covering up his anxieties with a gay joke and false bravado makes him more likable as a character. Or maybe I'm just enjoying the lack of monologue.

It is a little refreshing to see him have something resembling a character as opposed to belonging in a corn field.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I don't get people calling him a strawman. To the best of my memory, he hasn't held any opinions that I haven't seen MRA's and the like espouse with 100% sincerity. Strawmanning involves simplifying an opposing position to make it easier to tear down. If the opposing position really is that simple (at least some of the time), does it count?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
ugh why are all these nazis so racist and evil, what a crop of strawmen amiright?

although

Zerilan posted:

Furnace just catches on fire really easily since he's made of straw.

is pretty much the sickest burn.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

thatbastardken posted:

ugh why are all these nazis so racist and evil, what a crop of strawmen amiright?

A story in which you show ordinary people going on with committing atrocities pretty much just because that's where they've been led to and they're just following orders will have a very different tone from one where you show a bunch of hiveminded mustache-twirling clones committing the same atrocities while laughing evilly about how evil they are, bwahahah.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I actually liked this little detour with Furnace. He got to show a little humanity, especially with this doctor.

Too bad he's going to die.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Yeah this. Dude is scared but can't help but macho up.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

A story in which you show ordinary people going on with committing atrocities pretty much just because that's where they've been led to and they're just following orders will have a very different tone from one where you show a bunch of hiveminded mustache-twirling clones committing the same atrocities while laughing evilly about how evil they are, bwahahah.

Right but are you talking about nazis or SFP here?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Fingers crossed for Furnace's powers flaring up and him accidentally taking Moonshadow out in the process.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

I'd say it's most likely Alison is going to catch up with Moonshadow in time to save Furnace. That would explain why we went on this trip to see him in the first place.

Really, the last two pages make me feel a lot better about the preceding four.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
New page link.

Cat Mattress posted:

What about a story where Nazis are Nazis? They're people who sincerely believe the horrible things that define Nazism, but they're people nonetheless. This is the closest Nazi based analogy to what SFP is doing with Furnace.

I kind of hope Alison shows up at Moonshadow's house in time to save Furnace. Having to fight a former teammate with a worldview just a little tilted from hers in order to save a raging rear end in a top hat could be interesting.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Man, I hope Furnace doesn't die. In a weird way he's the only character I give a poo poo about right now.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

ManlyGrunting posted:

Man, I hope Furnace doesn't die. In a weird way he's the only character I give a poo poo about right now.

It'd be pretty cheap, pointless, and unsatisfying if he died right now. "Hey here's Furnace being an rear end in a top hat strawman again, now let's give him a brief moment of non-rear end in a top hat behavior whoops now he's dead."

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

DaveWoo posted:

It'd be pretty cheap, pointless, and unsatisfying if he died right now. "Hey here's Furnace being an rear end in a top hat strawman again, now let's give him a brief moment of non-rear end in a top hat behavior whoops now he's dead."

That sounds about right for the comic- whoops, we need the audience to care about this character, let's pile on some pathos that conflicts with and fails to explain his prior actions.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

It's interesting that Moonshadow knew exactly where Furnace would be, she knows enough about him to predict exactly how he'd react to his father's death, which she may have caused herself. So either they used to hang out together, or she's got contacts on the inside feeding her info.

ManlyGrunting posted:

Pretty much this, even though he did murder legal immigrants from lets say Canada.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

It'd be pretty lame if Moonshadow caused Furnace's dad's death. I'm hoping she just knows who his government doctor is and followed him out of the office.

Discendo Vox posted:

That sounds about right for the comic- whoops, we need the audience to care about this character, let's pile on some pathos that conflicts with and fails to explain his prior actions.

I don't think anything we have seen here really conflicts with any of his prior actions.

Except for killing legal immigrants maybe? I still don't really understand that.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Re: the immigrants thing: Furnace maybe didn't execute them but might have had a hand in forcibly deporting them (to their deaths at the hands of drug cartels?). Or possibly Violet is just talking out of her arse at the protest, she's not exactly been shown to be a super positive character since then.

Furnace's main problem seems to be that he wants to be a cool guy who saves lives but all he can do is start fires, and he doesn't have the privileged background that gave Allison the perspective to see that getting some education might be a good idea.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 17, 2015

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Pretty much this, even though he did murder legal immigrants from lets say Canada.

You don't understand. He couldn't let The Kids In The Hall live. Not after Mark McKinney actually developed the power to crush people's heads.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

thatbastardken posted:

Re: the immigrants thing: Furnace maybe didn't execute them but might have had a hand in forcibly deporting them (to their deaths at the hands of drug cartels?). Or possibly Violet is just talking out of her arse at the protest, she's not exactly been shown to be a super positive character since then.

Furnace's main problem seems to be that he wants to be a cool guy who saves lives but all he can do is start fires, and he doesn't have the privileged background that gave Allison the perspective to see that getting some education might be a good idea.

Now I'm imagining Cleaver handling the cartel situation instead of Furnace, it pretty much goes the same way but with less chance of killing hostages.

EndOfTheWorld posted:

You don't understand. He couldn't let The Kids In The Hall live. Not after Mark McKinney actually developed the power to crush people's heads.

The duel was amazing.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
So far it seems, we're going towards a situation where Allison will end up having to rescue Furnace, but I guess we'll see.

e: One thing that bothers me about the newest update (which is otherwise a big improvement on the bloviating Patrick scene)-------"I watched my friends die." Wah? Huh?? Weren't we told that the superheroes destroyed organized crime without much in the way of opposition? Inferno might be referring to a tour of duty in the military but ennhh. That feels like a lot to drop in an inbetweener line.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jun 19, 2015

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

There was a lot of superhero-on-supervillain fighting before all the villains were defeated. It's not a stretch to imagine a lot of superheroes got killed during that, especially if you look at those shots of the Guardians without Alison. Most heroes aren't Tier One. There might also be a specific incident he's referring to that we don't know about yet.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

About loving time.

Testing her telekinesis is interesting but something better left for a new chapter

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Yeah, but this chapter should have been cut into like 7 parts already, what's one more?

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

And featuring our special guest, Dave Strider!

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
I can't believe there is going to be a problematic facet to flying. I guess if she hit a plane that would be dangerous to others. But, besides that what could it really be?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I wonder how this comic would play out if the author had set himself a page limit for each chapter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

packsmack posted:

I can't believe there is going to be a problematic facet to flying. I guess if she hit a plane that would be dangerous to others. But, besides that what could it really be?

Maybe her flying emits an EMP field that could gently caress up electronics, or maybe it emits radiation that could give people cancer. Or maybe she has real bad gas and she's propelling herself through the air with farts.

• Locked thread