Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Aurain posted:

50 Towers of Gray trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
My inner Empress did the Trial of the 77 Rings.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Just finished Part 4 and fuuuuuuuuuuuuck you, Kira. You piece of poo poo.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

But rather than it being the Mona Lisa, it's every single chapter from "Jotaro meets Josuke 1" onwards.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
The anime thread is going to continue complaining that Joseph isn't the star into Part 4, aren't they?

e: Christ some people are going to call the first half filler

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jun 15, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

The anime thread is going to continue complaining that Joseph isn't the star into Part 4, aren't they?

e: Christ some people are going to call the first half filler

Don't worry.

Some people who read the manga call everything not Kira filler too.

I am looking forward to "Why can't Shining Zirconium heal Joseph young again!?" though.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Most of it is filler though. But it's still fantastic.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Sekkira posted:

Most of it is filler though. But it's still fantastic.

Is it really filler if you're not trying to waste time? I don't think Araki was waiting until he could think up Kira, I think it was a calculated decision to turn it into a slice-of-life deal for a while.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Well, my definition of filler is parts that don't further or necessarily tie in to the overarching plot. I don't necessarily see filler as wasting time.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There is very little filler in Diamond is Unbreakable, really. The stuff that doesn't drive forward the main plot of finding the arrow and then Kira serves to further character development for its cast. Filler would be if nothing appreciable came out the chapter.

Surface, Tonio, Joseph & Shizuka, RPS Kid and Superfly are, in my mind at least, the only parts of the arc what you could cut out and not negatively damage the overall plot and even of those, most of them are significant for character development.

Surface brings in Hazamada, who's there when Rohan is introduced but doesn't do much else. Tonio is largely insignificant, but does go to serve that not absolutely everyone who isn't in the crew who gets a stand has evil intentions with it, Joseph + Shizuka is purely for character development, RPS kid doesn't mean a lot other than to characterise Rohan and Superfly does sort of show what Kira's dad is up to, but it's pretty stand alone. (It's the only part of Part 4 I don't really like too much).

Of those 5 chapters, Tonio, Joseph and RPS kid are all supremely good JoJo too which helps them a lot.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Sekkira posted:

Well, my definition of filler is parts that don't further or necessarily tie in to the overarching plot. I don't necessarily see filler as wasting time.

I'd argue that establishing the world and the characters is at least as important as the search for the bow and arrow. We spend all of Part 4 in Morioh, we need to know about the town and its relevant residents. I just can't see all that as filler, as the stakes Kira introduces would be so empty if we didn't know Josuke and his friends.

Some chapters could be excised, I suppose, but most of them are ones where Araki does a lot of exploration of the concept of Stands so even that seems important to the series as a whole.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Morioh itself is basically a character, it'd be a shame if we didn't get to experience as much of it as we could.

...Oh no I just realized that the anime only people are going to have a field day with Josuke's savior. :(

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I'm not saying that cutting out that filler wouldn't change anything, it definitely would weaken the story significantly. Let's go eat Italian Food, The Invisible Baby, The Alien, Superfly, RPS kid, Cheap Trick, Enigma. After reading a bunch of stories like that I felt they were entirely pointless, but I certainly did not regret reading them.

In fact, I would argue that there wasn't enough. I finished up the part wanting more. I don't want to go to Italy yet :C

Sekkira fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 15, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

DO NOT CUT TONIO.

Give him a special ED.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
The only part i didn't like from Part 4 was the invisible baby. It was both pointless and not very fun, from what i remember they just found the baby then got it some diapers and that was it. If they did more with it it wasn't very memorable. Superfly was cool because having a radio tower with the special ability of not letting the last person leave is funny.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

CJ posted:

The only part i didn't like from Part 4 was the invisible baby. It was both pointless and not very fun, from what i remember they just found the baby then got it some diapers and that was it. If they did more with it it wasn't very memorable. Superfly was cool because having a radio tower with the special ability of not letting the last person leave is funny.

The baby is pretty much the big turn around in Josuke and Joseph's relationship.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

bonewitch posted:

The baby is pretty much the big turn around in Josuke and Joseph's relationship.

The baby steals all of Josuke's money like a true Joestar.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The "I just wanted to look good in front of you" thing at the end of Shizuka's arc is probably the most heart warming thing in all JoJo and justifies it all with ease. I love that so, so much.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The only bit in part 4 I can honestly say I wasn't a fan of was the yukako/cinderella chapter. It's important for setting up that there's a person in morioh with the power to make people look different so that Kira can visit it later after sheer heart attack, and the cinderella power is cool, but I just don't like yukako and the manga suddenly acting like koichi and yukako should be together after yukako kidnapped and tortured him was just weird.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

CJ posted:

the end is loving primo joseph and if we cut it they'd have to explain why rohan steals a baby in rps kid

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

The only bit in part 4 I can honestly say I wasn't a fan of was the yukako/cinderella chapter. It's important for setting up that there's a person in morioh with the power to make people look different so that Kira can visit it later after sheer heart attack, and the cinderella power is cool, but I just don't like yukako and the manga suddenly acting like koichi and yukako should be together after yukako kidnapped and tortured him was just weird.

All relationships have their rocky starts. :v:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't know why Koichi settles for Yukako when Rohan is all over him.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

The Cinderella arc really is kind of a low point for Part 4 for me since I don't particularly care for Yukako. If she didn't drop off the face of the Earth right after that arc ended and had more of a proactive role in the hunt for Kira, maybe I'd like it a little more, but as it stands, it's really just a set up for Kira -> Kosaku.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

"Hairy Situation: Love Deluxe is bound to Yukako's hair, allowing it to grow to various lengths and move with considerable strength and dexterity. It can hold and capture objects and people with incredible speed and precision."

Destructive Power: B
Speed: B
Range: C
Durability: A
Precision: E
Developmental Potential: B

Stand stats. :v:

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Sekkira posted:

There is no filler in Jojo. Period.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

"Hairy Situation: Love Deluxe is bound to Yukako's hair, allowing it to grow to various lengths and move with considerable strength and dexterity. It can hold and capture objects and people with incredible speed and precision."

Destructive Power: B
Speed: B
Range: C
Durability: A
Precision: E
Developmental Potential: B

Stand stats. :v:

obviously it works like developmental potential where the lower the ranking the more the user has mastered it

obviously

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

FirstAidKite posted:

Kidnapping and torture is pretty much how they say hi in Morioh. Everybody just has really violent greetings.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

There is no filler in Jojo. Period.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Jojo is a fighting manga, and from Part 3 onward it becomes increasingly about the fights. Which is fine. The draw should be the fights. That's not to say it isn't (or shouldn't be) anything more than fights, but it's an action serial whose plot and characters ultimately exist in service of its central conceit: dudes fighting. I enjoy One Piece, but I've never read an Oda fight I actually dug so I'm still stalled out somewhere early on in the series. The characters are fun, the locales are vibrant, and the jokes are funny, but I can't get into the fights in a series about the fights so I fell behind on keeping up. There's very little tension.

There are fights in Jojo that fall flat, but none of them are filler - at least not by the definition of wasting the audience's time with stuff that doesn't matter. Part 3's plot basically exists as an excuse to travel the world and fight a bunch of bozos. It's actually paced pretty well considering our heroes are always making substantive, measurable gains. Take out a world map and you can even chart their progress. Every stand user defeated brings them one step closer towards their goal. Not all those stand users are particularly impressive and a couple of the fights end on a weak note, but they "Matter."

Part 4 is a bit trickier to place since it's all set in one location without any immediate long-term goals (they want to find the arrow, sure, but that's largely a peripheral concern), but still stays true to the series core of traveling to interesting places (Morioh in this case), meeting weird people, and (not always) fighting them.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Even Beetle Tendency, as irrelevant as it felt, resulted in the defeat of an enemy and gathering vital information despite the fact that it technically ended with the hero running away like a little wuss.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Animechat, is it weird I'm almost as hyped for whatever Part 4 teaser they put as I am for the actual finale this week?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
It's not weird; it's bizarre.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
Honestly I think the best parts of Stardust Crusaders (except for the D'arby fight, Ice and Dio) are the parts where they're not busy being stand users out to fight other evil stand users, but are just sort of encountering weird regional things and shooting the poo poo. Jotaro's (off-screen) cigarette trick, Joseph vehemently disagreeing with the concept of hot cola, Kakyoin never removing his school uniform, even when sunbathing, Kakyoin and Polnareff bonding over hand signals and so on.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Exercu posted:

Kakyoin never removing his school uniform, even when sunbathing

I still have no idea how this works and it's still the funniest thing. :allears:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

SC is a pretty rad roadtrip/globetrotting story with bonus fight scenes and punchghosts thrown in. :v:

So when do new JoJolion chapters come out? I finally caught up and now I've joined the club of people who have to wait a month for new chapters. :( I guess I could start on Part 5, but I wanna wait until either JJCA's about 3/4 of the way done or if Viz picks it up first.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I still have no idea how this works and it's still the funniest thing. :allears:

Well he's a student, you know.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Japanese students can make it so their uniforms go transparent enough to sunlight to tan, while remaining visible to passerbys to protect their modesty. Japanese students are a special group of people.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The same way Jotaro's hat does.

It just works.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

But yeah, that's why I don't really get most of the complaints about "filler" in Jojo's, because what Jojo's gets me that most other manga series don't give me is:

Creative battles (A lot has already been said about these, but the use of powers in Jojo's is generally an order of magnitude more interesting than other manga)

Downtime.

Like, in a lot of other series you might want to know what the gently caress goes on with the characters when there's no huge existential threat looming over them. How do these super-powered individuals interact with regular society? It's why "Goku and Piccolo learn to drive" is so inherently hilarious. Or why pretty much all of One-Punch Man is hilarious, because Saitama cares more about special sale day than about super dangerous monsters.

This is also why part 4 and 7 are the best parts, because a fair lot of the time they are not in "impending battle" mode, which leaves time for them to just hang around and make stupid puns or cheat at gambling, or punch a plate of spaghetti.

Similarly we get things in part 3 where Polnareff being a travelling french bum gets his luggage mistaken for trash, or Kakyoin eating cherries weird, or Jotaro, Polnareff and Joseph, in their attempt to find a stand user, just beat the poo poo out of some random people at a restaurant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The best thing is that all the poo poo they have Oingo do as Jotaro in the car. Jotaro being the king of party tricks and never letting on is hilarious.

Unless you wanna be wrong and bad and interpret it as them knowing it's not Jotaro all along.