Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Looks like the servers have poo poo themselves again. I guess I won't be able to pump Hurlon for another 800 coins until morning at the soonest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It bugs me that the servers are perfectly stable during peak hours when there are groups of dudes running around in a zerg ball making it impossible to go at your own pace in a dungeon, but poo poo themselves in the wee hours when nobody is on and I could otherwise grind in peace.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Game is ready for the public, start up the Early Access bandwagon! :woop:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Project Gorgon: Looking up crashes the game.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
New machine being installed right now. Admin was nice enough to jump into global chat and hang out for a bit talking with people and answering questions while it was being prepped.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inimicul posted:

New machine being installed right now. Admin was nice enough to jump into global chat and hang out for a bit talking with people and answering questions while it was being prepped.

According to the Admin, the issue with all these crashes and disconnects for people has to do with the engine's interaction with 32-bit Windows operating systems. Apparently a game that has graphics no better than Morrowind (2002) is causing peoples' machines to run out of memory processing its graphics.

Comparison of Fort Pelagiad with Serbule Keep:

Morrowind (2002), total installation size ~1 GB.

Project Gorgon (2015), somehow overflowing memory.

Also pictured in that Gorgon screenshot is the Admin saying he simply cannot possibly optimize Unity 5 to avoid crashing when people with 32-bit operating systems look up.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Nietzschean posted:

It bugs me that the servers are perfectly stable during peak hours when there are groups of dudes running around in a zerg ball making it impossible to go at your own pace in a dungeon, but poo poo themselves in the wee hours when nobody is on and I could otherwise grind in peace.

As annoying as it is, though, it kinda makes sense. EQ2 always seems to try to schedule maintenance and downtime at like 8 AM on weekdays when the fewest people should be on. So that might be when the server/s is/are getting messed with - I know I logged in last night at some crazy hour to restart my banker hangouts and the game was making GBS threads itself like mad with only two other people online. (EDIT: Ha, or the game was just making GBS threads itself in general, looks like. I'm on x64, though.)

Speaking of dungeons, I think I'm basically giving up on them for a while. They're way too frantic and crowded to solo in, even at the entrance, when all you want to do is upgrade your lovely outdated gear. Mraaj finally got enough level-appropriate piggy gear from the goblin dungeon/other people to kinda roll around again before my break from the game, but right now I just want to gear up my spider in peace. :mad: It doesn't help that spiders have a really annoying setup period after dying re: replacing their dumb baby DPS minions.

Had lv35 spider/mentalism pants drop off a cultist idiot in Eltibule even though Scuttle's only in his 20s and can kill those easily. :psyduck: Not really sure how enemy/gear drop level works, but I guess he'll just be wandering around the map killing everything that doesn't flatten him instantly. (I do still have some higher-skill items people gave me, but they're sitting in the bank until I can use them.)

Having a bunch of moonstones as a spider for your hypnosis power really, really owns. Especially in Eltibule. I just want to sell my garbage so I can keep grinding for gear, dammit, and if I have to melt everyone's brains to do it I will.

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 11, 2015

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Just a reminder for people to put <GS> in their "/who all" about field. I'm usually in game super late or early afternoon. Lately I've been farming trolls in Sun Vale to level up my rats and welcome anyone who wants to tag along for free XP.

Edit:

We've all had these days.

Inimicul fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jun 12, 2015

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Nietzschean posted:

Also pictured in that Gorgon screenshot is the Admin saying he simply cannot possibly optimize Unity 5 to avoid crashing when people with 32-bit operating systems look up.

oh, you're a computer scientist? then perhaps you can explain why, specifically, he's a bad programmer :allears:

either that or we can stop this derail before it starts

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lutha Mahtin posted:

oh, you're a computer scientist? then perhaps you can explain why, specifically, he's a bad programmer :allears:

either that or we can stop this derail before it starts

You know, even if I did give you a wall of :words: with citations and everything it would still be a derail. :v: How about instead we both pretend we're not assholes and move on? :)

Server has been stable since the hardware swap. People with 32-bit operating systems are still advised to avoid looking at the sky.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

A few nights ago Inimicul helped me get Animal Training to 20, and I've been having fun with rat 2.0. I think I'll get myself a cat once I've got more time to play.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
My general take on Animal Handling (AKA Leveling Old Fangworth to 50 because he is objectively the only good choice) is that it has a massive deficiency in regard to handling multiple targets, which is generally the focus of late game combat; but performs respectably in single target scenarios.

It's almost entirely a novelty; but can provide some spike dps for weapon-dependent skills that don't otherwise have any. With that being said, however, any real utility derived from animal handling requires setting up pieces of a gear for it, which dramatically reduces its usefulness when compared to something like shield (dependent) or psychology (independent), of which neither actually requires gear investment to be a worthwhile secondary skill bar.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The extent of my Animal Handling use was as a secondary skill with Swords until I could unlock Mentalism or Shields, both of which provided much more utility once unlocked even though Animal Handling already had investment in it. A skill that is already heavily-invested being outperformed by a skill at Level 1 is not in a healthy place, and needs developer attention.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I don't know any level 1 skills that overshadow Animal Handling. I still think it's a fantastic secondary skill for speed grinding new primary skills to 30 at the very least.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
New patch day!

Citan posted:

Did a bit of work on the early-game experience today. No major new content is ready yet; that's coming soon!

Newbie-Experience Changes:
- Replaced the old cow curse with a new curse that is less horrific for newbies
- Moved the cow curse to an additional room at the end of the dungeon under the crystal... hopefully it's all intact!
- Nerfed the Omegaspider a bit
- Improved quest text on some favors
- Players now start with 8 more inventory slots
- Endurance now gives more inventory slots as you level it up. By level 50 it gives +18 slots (instead of +6)
- Sometimes low-level mushrooms would give you dirt when you picked them up instead of mushrooms. This confused people, so now mushrooms always give you mushrooms, and there are mounds of dirt that give you dirt
- Velkort's quests and favors now all give out Fire Dust as a reward. This should help newbie fire mages get their basic spells. You'll still have to hunt down advanced components on your own, though.
- You no longer fail to charm/tame a pet if you get attacked by it

Fletching Changes:
Revised fletching to make it less like a trade skill and more of a solo-adventurer activity:
- Lowered the level requirements on the fletching-related Carpentry recipes. You can now make the first two tiers of arrows with Carpentry level 5 and the third tier with Carpentry level 10
- The higher-tier fletching boxes dry much more quickly now. (Top tier takes 20 minutes instead of 8 hours)
- Fire Arrow recipes no longer require you to know Fire Magic to learn them. You just need favor with Velkort
- Poison Arrow recipes no longer require you to know Battle Chemistry to learn them. You just need favor with Marna
- The recipes for Acid Arrow have moved from Elahil (in Serbule) to The Wombat (in Sun Vale)
- Chickens now have much higher chances of dropping feathers. (And they can still be skinned to get additional feathers)
- Poisonous spiders (which, btw, are the only kinds that can drop feathers!) now have higher chances of dropping feathers
- Elahil sells prepared fletchings (at an exorbitant markup) in cases where you can't find feathers
- Lowered ingredient requirements. Snare arrows require fewer spider webs, dense arrows require fewer antlers, etc.
- High-level arrows now have lower chances of being retrieved in corpses (especially fancier arrows like heavy arrows and long arrows). Newbie arrows are unchanged
- Please let me know if you see out-of-whack item prices! If a recipe is dramatically more or less lucrative than similar recipes, it's a bug.

New Config Options:
- New option in Config window (under "GUI and Windows") that lets you hide error messages that show up when you can't use an ability
- Added a new screen in the Config window where you can type in special settings. I'm going to use this to add all the weird special things people keep asking for, so that I don't have to make GUI boxes and sliders for stuff that only one or two people even want. Right now you can put the following options into the settings box (on separate lines, or separated by spaces):
- DisableScreenFlash - this prevents the screen from flashing blue or red when you are attacked
- SuperScreenShotRes=3 - this makes the "Screen Shot: High-Res" keyboard command take pictures that are 3x bigger than normal (usually high res means 2x bigger.) Higher numbers than 3 are possible, but the higher it is, the bigger the chance for your graphics card to run out of memory and the game to crash. 4 is usually safe if your computer is beefy.
- NonCinematicColors - this is an experimental option that disables the HDR color filter. The net result is that the brights are dimmer and the darks are lighter, with a more washed-out look.

Other Changes:
- Did some optimizations to Serbule town buildings. Hopefully this improves framerate a bit while in town, and may prevent crashing on some PCs
- Note: the changes to Serbule caused every building, stone, wall, etc. to be moved slightly -- just a few feet in one direction or another. If you see weird stuff (like walls cutting into houses, for example) please report it!
- Added river and ocean sounds to Sun Vale
- Fixed the GUI interaction sound effects (conversion bug from Unity 5)
- Added distant-land facade to Serbule. By default it is on for higher-level quality settings. There is a new advanced override to enable/disable it. This distant terrain is visible in some parts near the borders of Serbule, and is especially visible while flying. Note that if your view distance is low you won't see much of it, but if you crank the view distance way up, you'll no longer be on an island floating in space.
- Mushrooms and fruits are now marked as ingredients for purposes of storage (e.g. in Laura Neth's storage area)
- When you have GUI turned off, floating numbers and FPS counter are now turned off as well

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
http://projectgorgon.com/wiki/Game_updates/2015-7-01

Level 60 content added. Three or so classes have also had their caps raised to 60. There's a new zone, a trade GUI, a lot of love for werewolves, and some other stuff.

It seems like there's a ton of new players too. I'm not sure where they came from but the last week or two has seen a pretty large spike in online players at any given time. I play at stupid hours and see anywhere from 12-35 players online where I used to be impressed by 12 and more often than not it would be me and two other dudes.

Countdown until someone quotes "me and two other dudes"

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Did you know that you can use druid skills as an animal if you have wooden shoes? I didn't. I don't think there's a wolf version, though.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I went and took a look at the desert today. I thought I was decently geared but I was very wrong.

The good news is that the manticores drop loot like bosses so every kill gives everyone who tagged it two 50+ drops and a lot of them are purple.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I want to get in on this game. I like that Psychology is apparently a skill.

Downloading as we speak.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I havent played in a couple months maybe? I need to update it and have a look! This is such a cool game

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Phlegmish posted:

I want to get in on this game. I like that Psychology is apparently a skill.

Downloading as we speak.

It isn't a very potent offensive skill unless you gear very heavily for one or two specific aspects of it but it is the only crowd control skill tree and arguably the best support skill in the game. It's one hell of a secondary.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Inimicul posted:

It isn't a very potent offensive skill unless you gear very heavily for one or two specific aspects of it but it is the only crowd control skill tree and arguably the best support skill in the game. It's one hell of a secondary.

Yeah, IMO that or mentalism are basically mandatory, at least in early/mid game and for soloing.

Though psych probably is straight-up better for a greater number of builds. Mentalism really only stands out to me for its ridiculous synergy with spider form unless you group a lot and/or are just abusing the hell out of pain bubble or whatever it was called.

Holy poo poo we finally have a trade window. :supaburn:

I need to remember to pry myself off of GW2 and come check out this game's progress more often.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I haven't tried to build a mentalism load out but have seen someone well geared in it solo kite the giant construct in the deathtrap dungeon a bunch. He then went on a massive rape fest against the manticores so I know just how powerful it can be. Especially with druid raven form to mule things from orbit.

I don't see any psychology gear that does anything close. I did, however, toy with the idea of a soothe / mother build that just kept damaging the mobs and then wiping agro over andover again.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

psych is a great secondary to complement a silly pew-pew build of a weapon skill like swords. I load up mostly DPS sword skills and then use all my psych skills for things like crowd control (make enemy A run away for 5 seconds while I wail on enemy B), or wiping out 200 enemy rage at a shot. Being able to control enemy rage is really nice, since it lets you go a really long time without ever having to eat a stun or enemy crit.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Now that I've been playing sword again and actually know how to gear towards a build, it feels super OP. I thought hammer was pretty nasty before but wow! I currently run slash / parry / riposte / precision pierce / many cuts / finishing blow. I have focused on gear (no oils yet) to make all my parries and ripostes heal me as well as AOE and lower rage. I've stacked a lot of +% damage to precision pierce as well as heals from that too. Many cuts has a few mods but mostly I use it to refresh Finishing Blow which has a gently caress-ton of +% damage mods on it. Now I just need to stack % stun resist because the build is super powerful against half a dozen mobs but instantly pops the moment I get stunned.

I am eager to see what happens with the other skills when they get upped to 60.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

Inimicul posted:

Now that I've been playing sword again and actually know how to gear towards a build, it feels super OP. I thought hammer was pretty nasty before but wow! I currently run slash / parry / riposte / precision pierce / many cuts / finishing blow. I have focused on gear (no oils yet) to make all my parries and ripostes heal me as well as AOE and lower rage. I've stacked a lot of +% damage to precision pierce as well as heals from that too. Many cuts has a few mods but mostly I use it to refresh Finishing Blow which has a gently caress-ton of +% damage mods on it. Now I just need to stack % stun resist because the build is super powerful against half a dozen mobs but instantly pops the moment I get stunned.

I am eager to see what happens with the other skills when they get upped to 60.

Precision pierce with gear to back it up is so unreasonably strong, everything else i tried to play just seemed weak after i had a good set for it.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Yeah. Body shotting someone for 250 points of damage and getting a heal off of it at the same time trivializes most of the game. I got to use it in PVP today too. The well in Serb looks like a sea of tombstones where we all had some fun.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Heh, someone figured out that the Grimalkin in the new zone are cats. Now they're everyone's favorite tamed pet. They're insanely overpowered.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inimicul posted:

This was pretty much my experience from day one with Swords, since the first ever magic item that dropped for me in the tutorial dungeon had a thing that made parry and riposte heal and the shield that Tyler Green gave me also did that. Playing with sword and shield feels like playing a Protection Paladin in WOW, where you can AOE tank and kill just gobs of mooks. Stuns have never been much of an issue because of the AOE rage reduction offered by parry and riposte, but I admittedly didn't go into most of the dungeons. The real problem I recall facing is energy management, for which Swords completely lacks any tools.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
There's a token energy management skill for every skill I've tried so far. One of my items has a chance to proc +100 energy every time I riposte. That, and as you level up endurance you get side bar skills like Dig Deep that gives you energy but with a super slow recharge. I went into the key bindings and undid the shift+number keybinds for those and labeled them 7 through =. My laptop makes it hard to hit shift as easily as it does ctrl so that works well for me.

Mentalism can also stack energy recharge like an EQ bard up to three times. It's really made a difference in how long you can stay in the air as a druids raven form.

tuscany
Apr 13, 2007

this looks... so awesome..... cannot wait to try later tonight after work

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Let me know if you need help with anything.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Dear game,
I miss you. Sorry that my life got nutso.

LP I still dream about you.

-Glug

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
It's alright bro mine did too. Wedding is getting too close, and work has me on stupid hours. Maybe at some point I'll come back but I can't see it in the near future.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/projectgorgon/project-gorgon-pc-mmo?ref=video

Back this poo poo.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

I am as old as I thought I was :(

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I'm glad you guys are just super busy. Sad too. I thought you gave up the game to play Skyforge or something. I haven't seen either of you guys since the new area has been put in or the skill caps raised.

Edit: One of the backing options makes you the subject of some of Rita/Blache's gossip. Nice touch!

Inimicul fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jul 25, 2015

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That is such a better video than the one that's been linked before!

Inimicul posted:

One of the backing options makes you the subject of some of Rita/Blache's gossip. Nice touch!

Hopefully future donors become the subject of that gossip about humans only having one.

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time
Going to start messing around in here, in as Orgofart if you want to say hi!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I feel at this point I've played enough of the game to know I like it and now—as with so many Early Access titles—it's time to just wait a year or three for him to actually finish making the game. I look forward to a completed world with dozens of zones and weeks of adventuring followed by some kind of endgame.