Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

anthonypants posted:

in that image it's a replacement for the enter key.

well the button is the wrong shape to be enter anyway (fight me irl), but i'm happy to be dumb and wrong in this case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

univbee posted:

your ending qualifier makes the answer a no (that picture is a photoshop), however

lmao

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lmao

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

you cannot escape -cortana

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Virion posted:

you cannot escape -cortana

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
ive had a notpad open for a few days with some stuff pasted into it

just now, completely out of the blue, it just decided to crash

thanks ms!!!!!!!

pram
Jun 10, 2001
pro tip: paste your stuff into sublime because it keeps it auto saved also dont use microsoft software

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

pram posted:

pro tip: paste your stuff into sublime because it keeps it auto saved also dont use microsoft software

i already have sublime open, i have no explination why i didnt just use that to begin with. good point tho. mega fail

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

use notepad replacer

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Valeyard posted:

ive had a notpad open for a few days with some stuff pasted into it

just now, completely out of the blue, it just decided to crash

thanks ms!!!!!!!
how the gently caress does a notepad app crash

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i didnt even touch it, i just saw the minified icon start flashing yellow and it was doing the stupid "find a solution" thing before it died

and this is on w7

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
maybe i just never left notepad.exe open for multiple days at a time and instead saved notes to my desktop

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

you should get a mac

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BONGHITZ posted:

you should get a mac

why do that when the alternative is an operating system where the plaintext editor with no features at all doesnt even work?

using windows by choice is something only the mentally infirm do

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i found that i can actually trust osx to work properly for >1 day

historically with windows laptops, i'd always have some weird bullshit happen on wake, like it'd forget i had a wacom tablet driver installed, or some random program couldn't see that i had an internet connection and authorization would fail until i restarted

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

using windows by choice is something only the mentally infirm do

Same but Mac OS X

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Spatial posted:

use notepad replacer

use notepad++

just make sure the latest version isn't one that autotype some dumb opinion the author holds.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Wheany posted:

use notepad++

just make sure the latest version isn't one that autotype some dumb opinion the author holds.

the website got hacked over it lol

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
i am charlie has been co-opted by racists/xenophobes, hasn't it?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Dodoman posted:

i am charlie has been co-opted by racists/xenophobes, hasn't it?

yes, it's now just an anti-Islam rallying cry

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lol i bet thats not too far off, since its ms they'd replace something people actually use instead of like that useless right click menu key

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

why dont they just do like a double press of the windows key. like one press for the star menu and then another for cortana

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
jes suis icarly

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Last Chance posted:

why dont they just do like a double press of the windows key. like one press for the star menu and then another for cortana

because that would give away their plan to remove the start menu again in windows 10 (the one after windows 10, the 9th windows nt) and replace it with costanza

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Beeftweeter posted:

lol i bet thats not too far off, since its ms they'd replace something people actually use instead of like that useless right click menu key

i use that key everyday :mad:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i use that key everyday :mad:

pro keyboards just have an option key instead anyway

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

anthonypants posted:

in that image it's a replacement for the enter key. do you really think it's an actual thing or could it possibly be a fake mockup of a finger pressing a key on a keyboard hmmmmmmmmmm

like if you saw this does it make you think great britain is trying to add a union jack key next to the enter key

Listen son, MS added keys to keyboards back in 1995, they'll try again

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Millstone posted:

back then they were sorely needed, PC clone keyboards were downright anemic compared to real personal computers, much less Lisp Machines

does windows still support the original PC layout? it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it does...

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
What like the xt layout

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Millstone posted:

What like the xt layout

the PC predates the XT but yeah

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Millstone posted:

they're not going to replace the enter key with a Cortana Key. not even microsoft is that stupid.

i don't doubt they'll add a new key, because it will be exactly as ridiculous as putting a hardware button for Facebook on a cell phone

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 15, 2015

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
that sounds like a challenge

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

anthonypants posted:

they're not going to replace the enter key with a Cortana Key. not even microsoft is that stupid.

i don't doubt they'll add a new key, because it will be exactly as ridiculous as putting a hardware button for Facebook on a cell phone

Japanese keyboards were able to cram in an extra 5 keys in various parts of the keyboard, I'm sure finding space for 1 more won't be that hard

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

univbee posted:

Japanese keyboards were able to cram in an extra 5 keys in various parts of the keyboard, I'm sure finding space for 1 more won't be that hard

nah man if they add that extra button microsoft will show how dumb they are, dont you get it? join the apple club geeez

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
japanese keyboards are terrible for everything except writing ruby

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Stringent posted:

japanese keyboards are terrible for everything except writing ruby

The "@" symbol has its own key which is quite nice. I have a Macbook Air with JP keyboard and a few days ago picked up a MS Arc JP keyboard so I can have the page navigation keys back.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Dodoman posted:

nah man if they add that extra button microsoft will show how dumb they are, dont you get it? join the apple club geeez

well if they add a dedicated cortana button then yes, they are really loving dumb. and that has nothing to do with apple.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
in an upate to my notepad post from before, 2 days later it would seem sublime has suffered the same fate

while browsing the pos it just decided to die

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

install a lonux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
deeznux

• Locked thread