Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Professor Shark posted:

Gotta laugh about people who play this game though: hit crouch when the enemy attacks then strafe into their attack while looking up and drag against your overhead slice while contorting your body towards them.

Don't feint though, that's stupid.

The best way to combat this is to just look up really quickly. Don't feint, just look up. If you look back down to see a panic block you have succeeded. Enjoy your spoils. (their tears)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreittis
Jan 7, 2010

Foxhound? Houndfox.

Kenzie posted:

:monocle:

I wonder how many hours you have to play to get to rank 60.

My rank 60 buddy has 2,296 hrs on record but to be fair, he farmed FFA with zweihänder a lot.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I once saw a guy who was rank 65. Just imagine the number of hours you have to play to get there. I actually used to think 60 was the cap.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
You know, some of the stuff in this Chivalry fan art contest gallery is pretty great.

fake edit: holy poo poo :lol::lol:

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
So what are people's thoughts on Mercs mod? It markets itself as a balance mod but from what I've played of it it just takes the high-level grognardy poo poo and turns it up to 11.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
On Sale again, $2.49.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I wanna play Deadliest Warrior, but every server is either Last Team Standing or FFA. :smith:
Why can't DW ever go on sale, it needs fresh blood.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I feel like they gave up on Deadliest Warrior. I bought the two-in-one and I now have to search the interface if I want to launch DW, I don't remember that being the case in the beginning.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I can usually find around 5-7 populated 90> ping DW servers in Europe during prime time. It's not a hugely populated game but I haven't had any problems finding a server to join.

DW should have been a standalone game, it seems more like people just forgot about it. I think it's better than vanilla in almost every regard.

Some day though, Torn Banner will release a multiplayer RPG style game with loot dungeons and free-roam PvP and it will be literally the best loving game ever

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Minorkos posted:

Some day though, Torn Banner will release a multiplayer RPG style game with loot dungeons and free-roam PvP and it will be literally the best loving game ever

Double fisting wallets (swiped my brother's) at the screen and nothing is happening :argh:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I'd wanted to have like actual eras in the same game. One match you are fighting with Vikings against Barbarians, the next it's Romans pummeling Barbarians. Persians and Greeks. Etc.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Minorkos posted:

I can usually find around 5-7 populated 90> ping DW servers in Europe during prime time. It's not a hugely populated game but I haven't had any problems finding a server to join.

DW should have been a standalone game, it seems more like people just forgot about it. I think it's better than vanilla in almost every regard.

Yeah, there are servers to join, but so goddamn many of them are running Last Team Standing and I loving detest that game mode (mostly because I'm not excellent at the game and will die early quite often).
I did get lucky last night though and found one that was alternating between multi-team deathmatch and FFA and didn't have too many insufferable spergs playing, it ended up being pretty fun even if there were a bunch of bots in the mix.

Also yeah, some sort of (semi)open world RPG thing with Chivalry's combat mechanics would be loving dope.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
So can anyone tell me what the hell happened at the end of this clip? No one was around me. Hacks or just a buggy rear end game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=688qq6efnB4

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
It sort of looks like you were killed by a siege weapon, judging by the rocks and dust flying down from above you, but the kill icon doesn't match the catapult. Maybe one of your teammates shot a ballista at you? I've noticed those seem to do a bit of blast damage - a direct hit will do the hilarious ragdoll thing where it sends you flying, but being really close to the impact of the bolt does appear to cause some harm. You were pretty close to death there, could a teammate have (either deliberately, or mistaking you for an enemy) fired a bolt at you and scored a "close enough" kill that way?

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Inside Out Mom posted:

So can anyone tell me what the hell happened at the end of this clip? No one was around me. Hacks or just a buggy rear end game?

It was a catapult, I think.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Yeah I guess so. I wasn't too bent out of shape about it, just confused the hell out of me. The catapult was fired by a blue player and I don't think I was in the FOV of the ballista. Oh well. Still did great that round. Was king and ended up cutting down the Agatha king myself.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Inside Out Mom posted:

There are all kinds of siege defense thingies up on the battlements in that map. One of them is a bunch of rocks you can drop on people, and they're right above the halfway point between where you killed those two knights and the MaA and where you died. Probably some guy above just blindly triggered them and you were still just within their area of effect.

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.
If you fire a cata/ballista and get off it before it hits, it registers the killer as the last person that hit you with whatever weapon they hit you with. Or so was the case when I used to play heavily. It was always great on Stone Hill to fire the cata at the bridge as a mason, and then see it hit and kill 6 Agathians but register the killer as an Aggy Vanguard with a Zwie instead of me.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
That does make sense.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Nordick posted:

Yeah, there are servers to join, but so goddamn many of them are running Last Team Standing and I loving detest that game mode (mostly because I'm not excellent at the game and will die early quite often).
I did get lucky last night though and found one that was alternating between multi-team deathmatch and FFA and didn't have too many insufferable spergs playing, it ended up being pretty fun even if there were a bunch of bots in the mix.

Also yeah, some sort of (semi)open world RPG thing with Chivalry's combat mechanics would be loving dope.

LTS in Deadliest Warrior is so good though. Bunch of spartans and samurai just finished going at it, suddenly: Shhh, no sound X 10.

Kreittis
Jan 7, 2010

Foxhound? Houndfox.

Yeah, that was the pile of rocks you can drop from the battlements. They are instant kill and invisible to those who are standing around the area of effect. They are also quite buggy and show whatever kill icon they want.

Catapult always shows a cata kill icon.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02TDI_Fafs0

Also made this. Goddamn this game is fun.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

here's my bi monthly check in to say add me I play on FOR's TO server all the time http://steamcommunity.com/id/ABUNCHOFCATS/

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

I too used to play on that server when I played more often, I still do when I play and can attest that is both a good and stable server and FOR are mostly a bunch of decent guys. They're one of the clans that wanted me to join, but they all got the same answer. I play chiv to run around in a pink clown suit and scream at people.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
So there was a sale, and so far I feel like killing the constantly left clicking pubbies isn't the best way to enjoy this game. Is there a recommended server where i'll get slaughtered by good dudes doing teamwork and objectives?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I dunno what you're talking about, seal clubbing while spamming emotes is the best.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
One of the most fun things to do in this game is to challenge people to fistfights and have boxing matches to the death in the middle of raging battles. In a team game sometimes people will just leave you alone, and occasionally others will be all "HEY LOOK AT THOSE GUYS LET'S DO THAT TOO" and half of each team will be brawling it out while the other halves alternate between swinging at the brawlers and slaughtering those who dare to swing weapons at the brawlers.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
x-x-2
x-x-2
hammer smash
x-x-2
x-x-2

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

One of the best things to do in this game is fist fight the whole team objective match regardless of if the enemy agrees to fists or not. Learning to duck will win you so many fights against people with weapons that will wreck you.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Picked this up a couple days ago when it was on sale. It's a lot of fun and satisfying when I'm doing well, which doesn't happen often, but holy gently caress it's the most frustrating game when I'm getting my rear end kicked. Thanks to the videos posted I have learned the power of overhead smash with the Knight's maul, and javelin Archer is fun except when I land a headshot and the guy keeps coming with a javelin in his head.

Yep, you guys are right. The player base is horrible. Constant tk and kick votes, bitching about feinting, and one dude would not shut the gently caress up about getting 2on1'ed in a team game.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Play Deadliest Warrior, all the chill people are over there when sale numbers die down.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
The angry player base is one of the selling points for me. I mean, my in game name is The TK Tornado so I put it out there that I don't give a gently caress. I haven't had a successful vote kick against me yet and when they fail I type "YOU CAN'T VOTE KICK A FORCE OF NATURE" in chat and it just gets people so angry they run into my hammer full force. And then follow it up by getting them vote kicked for homophobia. Once that word comes up in chat admins tend to take notice and the angry guy rages until the admin just says gently caress it and boots them.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

A few days ago I got votekicked from a free-for-all round just because I was at the top of the scoreboard. You can't complain about TKing in a FFA match.

I normally don't like multiplayer games, especially ones filled with rear end in a top hat players like this one. There's something about this game that keeps me coming back to it though and I'm not sure why. I guess I get some odd satisfaction out of annoying the poo poo out of those people. I like being an annoying man-at-arms who dodges and feints and sets people on fire all the time while stabbing them in the back and spamming x-x-2. Oh and then I have to cut the head off of their corpse while doing that ridiculous looking teabag thing while spamming x-x-2 as well. I was trying to practice being an annoying archer for a while but I'm still not very good at it.

I also think I perform better at this game while drunk. So much of this game is psychological. It's about being unpredictable and making the other guy nervous about you. It's about getting the momentum in a fight and forcing the other guy on the defensive so he panic blocks. When I'm drunk I stop giving a poo poo. Maybe it's like drunken boxing or something.

The TK Tornado is a great name. It's bizarre how people get so angry about TKing in this game. Team damage is completely unavoidable and happens so often that it's just a part of the game. You're playing the wrong game if you get angry about it. It's also hilarious that the voice commands, like the "sorry" command for the Mason knight is just him saying "walk it off," or something to that effect. You're not supposed to give a poo poo.

Ivan Shitskin fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 17, 2015

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Inside Out Mom posted:

The angry player base is one of the selling points for me. I mean, my in game name is The TK Tornado so I put it out there that I don't give a gently caress.

If you don't care about teamkilling you're just kind of an rear end in a top hat.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

If you don't care about teamkilling you're just kind of an rear end in a top hat.

I think it's tongue-in-cheek, and refers to his indifference towards being TKed.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Yeah it was done as my official "Stop getting yourself frustrated" moment. I was getting made about team damage and taking all sorts of extra care not to hit people, then I realized gently caress that just have fun. I don't go out of my way to team damage people but if someone runs in front of my hammer when i'm swinging at some dude that's his fault. If he complains I direct him to my name. If I get team killed I normally laugh about it now because its silly.

Though if I find someone intentionally Tk'ing I go at them full force.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Inside Out Mom posted:

Yeah it was done as my official "Stop getting yourself frustrated" moment. I was getting made about team damage and taking all sorts of extra care not to hit people, then I realized gently caress that just have fun. I don't go out of my way to team damage people but if someone runs in front of my hammer when i'm swinging at some dude that's his fault. If he complains I direct him to my name. If I get team killed I normally laugh about it now because its silly.

Though if I find someone intentionally Tk'ing I go at them full force.

You are a wise man.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
The extent to which I will go to avoid damaging friendlies is pretty much "preferably use overheads and thrusts when fighting next to friendlies". Beyond that I can't be arsed to care.

Also, I have an oftentimes irresistible urge to kick friendly archers off ledges, at least if they're "sniping" too far away from the battle to really be useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

I pretty much always kick archers as I walk by. I think it's expected. Also tubby knights when they are being all slow in front of me.

• Locked thread