Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Unrelated to Doom 4: the Back to Saturn X E1 soundtrack is really good.

I know! Is it anywhere as a separate download? :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running
I can't help but feel really underwhelmed with the gore and execution system based on the Quakecon raves about it when Killing Floor 2 manages to do the super satisfying Exploding Sledgehammer causing an enemy to have his body travelling in two separate directions without the need for a canned animation of it occurring over and over again. :effort:

Oh and seeing the generic Oblivion gate-esque Hellscape somehow makes me miss Mt. Erebus's blue and red vomit textured walls and the random green marble castles.

Some dumb idiot fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jun 15, 2015

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Thyrork posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41oQvjBW9VU Esselfortium put some of them on his youtube channel!

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

Alehkhs posted:

Here's the official gameplay trailer, unshown during the showcase:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NteAPGprDJk
Even if you've watched the poo poo out of the gameplay videos, this trailer kicks rear end. 60 FPS really makes the game look better than those other videos did.

I think my only real complaints are the aesthetics. I think the guns look lame and too "real" and very boring. The Cyberdemon is just cartoony now, almost like a monster I'd expect to find in World of Warcraft or something.

Also, if you're going to demo a game, please not only use a mouse and keyboard, but crank that FOV up for gently caress's sake.

oversteps fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jun 15, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok, so is that Feminist Frequency twitter thing actually legit, or is it some sort of ironici humour that I don't get because Poe's law?

It's the sequel to DOOM. If that trailer was somehow showing off the next Animal Crossing game, then I'd be right there with them, wondering why ANYTHING is dying in that game's universe.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, so is that Feminist Frequency twitter thing actually legit, or is it some sort of ironici humour that I don't get because Poe's law?

It's the sequel to DOOM. If that trailer was somehow showing off the next Animal Crossing game, then I'd be right there with them, wondering why ANYTHING is dying in that game's universe.

"Major AAA publisher chooses to open E3 by showing hyperviolent game" isn't something that exists in a contextless vacuum. Video games do a lot of violence and don't do non-violent gameplay very often, and "major publisher shows off major new instalment in franchise all about murdering things" says something about the state of video games as a whole.

It's not like critics going "hey, wouldn't it be nice if we had more games that are about things other than shooting things" is new. It's pretty hilarious seeing nerds getting upset and reacting as if the comment is aimed at Doom specifically and that therefore the ~evil feminists~ are out to destroy their childhood, rather than Anita Sarkeesian making a comment about the entire gaming industry.

Thyrork posted:

I found some of it on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saNa7ujFAMk&list=PLRgRyIErVfEnZfYZH2pcyhlNB7lofrDsS

James Paddock also has the tracks he did for both episodes on his Bandcamp but it's not the whole soundtrack:

https://jamespaddock.bandcamp.com/album/saturn-x-soundtrack-episode-1
https://jamespaddock.bandcamp.com/album/saturn-x-soundtrack-episode-2

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jun 15, 2015

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I'm okay with someone looking at Brutal DooM and saying, "I want this, but in high resolution:"

I am VERY okay with that.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
The weapon sounds on the trailer are weaksauce, you'd think they would want to improve that from doom 3's popguns.

Sarkeesian thinks videogames are too violent generally, which to be fair is kind of true, if you're going to comment on that then the doom 4 reveal would seem fairly logical. I get the impression some people are upset about this since it was posted here twice already by somebody, do people still get all worked about her?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

khwarezm posted:

The weapon sounds on the trailer are weaksauce, you'd think they would want to improve that from doom 3's popguns.

Sarkeesian thinks videogames are too violent generally, which to be fair is kind of true, if you're going to comment on that then the doom 4 reveal would seem fairly logical. I get the impression some people are upset about this since it was posted here twice already by somebody, do people still get all worked about her?

The argument would be more fair if nonviolent alternatives didn't exist, but they do, and in significant quantity and quality. As a result, it tends to come across more like 'violent video games shouldn't exist', and I don't think that's a torch worth carrying.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

(EDIT: ^^^^^ Posted before I saw your post, but I didn't think there were a lot of non-violent first-person games, or are you just referring to games in general?)

I think it would all make more sense if it was like a general comment, maybe AFTER E3 happened, saying 'well, I see the ratio of violent games to non-violent games hasn't changed' (if that's the case). Aiming your sights on Doom is kind of a waste, as there will never be a non-violent Doom game. It's one of the most famous video game franchises ever, they're making a new one, so obviously, the publisher is going to showcase that, especially at the biggest gaming event of the year.

Saying that, I would absolutely LOVE to have more first-person games that involved non-violence, as that genre seems to be just filled with them. Just because you're looking out of the protagonists eyes doesn't mean your mission needs to be to end someone/something's life or hurt them. But just as I'm not expecting Wes Craven to make a family film or drama and call it a sequel to 'Nightmare on Elm Street', I would never expect a Doom game to not involve guns and the shooting thereof in the faces of demons from hell.

Hey, at least you're fighting an absolute evil, rather than raining down pain onto people who have different ideologies or political backgrounds than yourself (or, y'know, just plain innocent people). Doom isn't 'Hatred'.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Doom isn't 'Hatred'.

Doom 4 wants to be.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Geight posted:

Doom 4 wants to be.

See, you might be joking, but it really isn't. Obviously, Hatred's whole 'thing' is that you become some angry jackass who loves to murder everyone, whether they want to hurt you or not. Doom, like I have to explain this to anyone, is not about that at all. Context is everything.

EDIT: Come to think of it, as odd as it sounds, you COULD switch up the story so that Doomguy is the military chaplain that was stationed on the base, everyone dies, and you've got to save the world. Wouldn't change anything as like I said, you're fighting an absolute evil, literally ridding the world and hell of demons.

poo poo, this is how I'm going to play Doom from now on. Doomguy's kicking rear end for the lord.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 15, 2015

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Geight posted:

Doom 4 wants to be.

Nothing wants to be 'Hatred'

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp
Honestly the game looks disgusting and not something I want to play.

But if gamers want to go ahead and play it and everyone scratches their head wonder why were have a culture of death where human lives are seen as expendable and every person who gets killed by a cop or even criminals "deserved it" be my guest.

I mean sure it's nice to eternally be a underdeveloped manchild but for the rest of us who can't ignore the horrid reality of our culture and how it affects literally everybody we can't just go on in blissful ignorance. Too many people are dying, and worse. And the cycle of violence keeps going and going.

So enjoy it while you can I guess...

In 50 years with the food and water shortages caused by global warming and overpopulation you will probably be the first to go, if you haven't already gone because your job was replaced by a robot and the social safety net was destroyed.

In 100 the only remnants of civilized society that will remain will be the buildings.

So enjoy it while it lasts.

PerpetualSelf fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 15, 2015

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The year is 2069. It is now legal to infect gamers with AIDS.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Saying that, I would absolutely LOVE to have more first-person games that involved non-violence, as that genre seems to be just filled with them. Just because you're looking out of the protagonists eyes doesn't mean your mission needs to be to end someone/something's life or hurt them.
If you're looking for good non-violent first person games, Myst-likes were a quite popular genre in the late 90's and early 2000's and some of them are pretty good. Dark Fall, Rhem, and Schizm are a few examples. First-person adventure games have also made a bit of a resurgence lately but mostly with exploration-focused relaxation games that don't involve a lot of puzzle-solving, like Gone Home or Dear Esther.

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running

PerpetualSelf posted:

Honestly the game looks disgusting and not something I want to play.

But if gamers want to go ahead and play it and everyone scratches their head wonder why were have a culture of death where human lives are seen ads expendable and every person who gets killed by a cop or even criminals "deserved it"

I mean sure it's nice to eternally be a underdeveloped manchild but for the rest of us who can't ignore the horrid reality of our culture and how it affects literally everybody we can't just go on in blissful ignorance. Too many people are dying, and worse. And the cycle of violence keeps going and going.

So enjoy it while you can I guess...

In 50 years with the food and water shortages caused by global warming and overpopulation you will probably be the first to go, if you haven't already gone because your job was replaced by a robot and the social safety net was destroyed.

In 100 the only remnants of civilized society that will remain will be the buildings.

So enjoy it while it lasts.

Source your quotes.

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp

Some dumb idiot posted:

Source your quotes.

Repent of your sins

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010
Sweet christ, here we go.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

A.o.D. posted:

The argument would be more fair if nonviolent alternatives didn't exist, but they do, and in significant quantity and quality. As a result, it tends to come across more like 'violent video games shouldn't exist', and I don't think that's a torch worth carrying.

To be perfectly honest I think you overestimate the prominence of non-violent videogames, neither me nor Sarkeesian deny they exist but just looking at most of e3s lineup so far its pretty clear that the various ways you can stab or shoot stuff have notable dominence. I cant think of any other medium on the whole where violent content is as dominent as videogames, comic books maybe?

Nobody is saying violent videogames literally should not exist but you sometimes get the impression that the predominence of violence discourages other types of mechanics and restricts what videogames can express and who they can appeal to.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZM2jXyvGOc

Ill stop here because bemoaning videogame violence in an FPS thread is really dumb, especially since I just moaned about guns not sounding violent enough.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 15, 2015

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
IMO everyone should play Sunlust instead.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/68089-sunlust-betar1-released/

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

khwarezm posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZM2jXyvGOc

Ill stop here because bemoaning videogame violence in an FPS thread is really dumb, especially I just moaned about guns not sounding violent enough.

On the other hand, the first 30 seconds of that is a good demonstration of how wimpy HL2 guns sound…

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
New doom looks more appealing than 3 did at first, but still bad.

The shotgun hits like a wet fart at anything more than 5 meters away. This is a halo shotgun, not a doom shotgun. It also sounds really weak and pathetic.
Enemies are extremely scripted and all the execution cutscenes are going to get old.
I'd rather have really good run and gun gameplay than a million "rip your heart out" execution moves.
Also its not MachineGames, its the broken husk of Id, so I have little faith.

Well, at least they got the door sound right. :colbert:

Alehkhs posted:

A couple floated past in the background of Hell during the demo, but here - have a better look at the cacodemon:

Caco looks cooler than the stupid as gently caress cacos in 3 at least. Dunno why they don't just make a proper 3d model of the classic caco though, that guy was awesome.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

PerpetualSelf posted:

Repent of your sins
I tried, but...

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
It rules that all of the people in this thread who complained that brutal doom would ruin the game forever turned out to be 100% correct.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

RyokoTK posted:

One thing that looks interesting about Doom 4 is that it seems like the ammo cap is really, really low -- 20 shotgun shells, 15 rockets, etc. So enemies being loot pinatas kind of makes sense in that context; you have to be continuously juggling your weapons rather than toting around a hundred rockets and spamming them blindly by the dozen.

And yeah Sunlust is pretty drat cool.

That killed my enthusiasm completely. It's part of the whole modern design ethos of the designer insisting on being 100% in control of the player's experience--you will have at any given point the inventory the designer says you should have. You can't stockpile because of the low ammo caps and you can't easily run out because of the enemies all being loot piñatas so there is no resource management at all.

khwarezm posted:

Is it actually Sarkeesian, or McIntosh, who is an asshat whose primary contribution to feminism is telling women of color "NO UR RONG HERE'S HOW TO FEMINAMISM :saddowns:" about Pacific Rim?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

I'm pretty sure it has to be a joke.

https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/119507163545731072

quote:

I've actually read many studies that state the opposite, that gender segregated classrooms improve learning (same with race).

The Perfect Troll™

The new fatalities aren't anywhere near Brutal Doom levels of dumb, since they don't seem to take you out of the game for a few seconds. Yeah, they're super loving ultra-violent, but I guess Doom was also considered super loving ultra-violent back in the day. :shrug:

The whole thing reminds me of the first person scene from the Doom movie. I'm not sure if that's good or bad yet. I didn't bother with the new Wolfenstein, so I probably wont be playing a demo any time soon.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

oversteps posted:

Even if you've watched the poo poo out of the gameplay videos, this trailer kicks rear end. 60 FPS really makes the game look better than those other videos did.

I think my only real complaints are the aesthetics. I think the guns look lame and too "real" and very boring. The Cyberdemon is just cartoony now, almost like a monster I'd expect to find in World of Warcraft or something.

Also, if you're going to demo a game, please not only use a mouse and keyboard, but crank that FOV up for gently caress's sake.

Eh, they spend waaaaay too much of the trailer on executions and not nearly enough time on run and gun circlestrafe action.

I'm seriously worried this game is doomed. :cheeky:

RyokoTK posted:

One thing that looks interesting about Doom 4 is that it seems like the ammo cap is really, really low -- 20 shotgun shells, 15 rockets, etc. So enemies being loot pinatas kind of makes sense in that context; you have to be continuously juggling your weapons rather than toting around a hundred rockets and spamming them blindly by the dozen.

And yeah Sunlust is pretty drat cool.

Oh poo poo it IS halo. I knew that shotgun was familiar.

Seriously though gently caress this.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Woolie Wool posted:

That killed my enthusiasm completely. It's part of the whole modern design ethos of the designer insisting on being 100% in control of the player's experience--you will have at any given point the inventory the designer says you should have. You can't stockpile because of the low ammo caps and you can't easily run out because of the enemies all being loot piñatas so there is no resource management at all.

oh, ok :rolleyes:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mogomra posted:

The whole thing reminds me of the first person scene from the Doom movie. I'm not sure if that's good or bad yet.

:ssh: Its bad.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Well resource management was the whole purpose of health and ammo in classic shooters so if you don't have real resource management on a macro scale then your game doesn't deserve to wear a classic FPS name. Resource management is fundamental, it is probably the second most important mechanic in old FPSes besides "shoot gun". It's like if they announced a new 2D Mario game and decided not to put bottomless pits in it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Woolie Wool posted:

Well resource management was the whole purpose of health and ammo in classic shooters so if you don't have real resource management on a macro scale then your game doesn't deserve to wear a classic FPS name. Resource management is fundamental, it is probably the second most important mechanic in old FPSes besides "shoot gun". It's like if they announced a new 2D Mario game and decided not to put bottomless pits in it.

Have you played Doom? Resource management is not actually an issue, even on UV you never run out of ammo unless you're very bad or you're speedrunning and deliberately skipping stuff.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Seeing developers try to break down why Doom 2 was great by saying things like "it was fast" or "It has a shotgun" depresses me. There are about a million games where you are fast, and not very many of them are as good as Doom 2.

Seriously it's like trying to explain why chess has been popular for so long by saying "You can move the pieces. Also you can capture them".

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

Have you played Doom? Resource management is not actually an issue, even on UV you never run out of ammo unless you're very bad or you're speedrunning and deliberately skipping stuff.

If you know the map and get the ammo pickups, yeah. If its your first time playing a map, especially on UV, running out of ammo or health and armor can totally happen.

Alain Post posted:

Seeing developers try to break down why Doom 2 was great by saying things like "it was fast" or "It has a shotgun" depresses me. There are about a million games where you are fast, and not very many of them are as good as Doom 2.

Seriously it's like trying to explain why chess has been popular for so long by saying "You can move the pieces. Also you can capture them".

Clearly Chess is popular because of its castling mechanic, which I will now introduce into checkers to make the game vastly superior. Fans of chess, check out my new Checkers 3: Revenge of the Reds!

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Try playing maps with actual ammo balance some day. It's a thing that exists, you know.

Also the lack of color makes me think that all game developers should be required to test their games on a 30-year-old NTSC television. If the game isn't playable, revise. (Of course no one has such a TV anymore, but this is using an old TV on purpose to exaggerate issues of objects blending into the background)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Pinata monsters are probably the thing I have the least problems with in the Doom demo. They're a very videogame-y solution to resource acquisition.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Woolie Wool posted:

Try playing maps with actual ammo balance some day. It's a thing that exists, you know.

So, not a thing that Id got right in Doom, but someone else did. Okay, got it.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

The Kins posted:

Pinata monsters are probably the thing I have the least problems with in the Doom demo. They're a very videogame-y solution to resource acquisition.
They're a solution to a problem that never existed, the way oldschool shooters handled it was fine and is part of the reason why people like those games more than modern shooters.

The loot pinatas are only one step above auto-regenerating health.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Aiming your sights on Doom

Like I literally just pointed out, no one's sights are aimed at Doom. The comment was pretty clearly about AAA gaming as a whole. No modern media critic is going to give a poo poo about Doom-4-as-a-Doom-sequel because Doom stopped being relevant 15 years ago; it's just Yet Another Hyper-Violent AAA Game, exactly like the latest Halo or Gears or Call of Duty or Uncharted or etc.

A.o.D. posted:

The argument would be more fair if nonviolent alternatives didn't exist, but they do, and in significant quantity and quality.

They really don't; non-violent "mainstream"/AAA games are essentially non-existent outside of maybe some of Nintendo's output.

The Kins posted:

Plus they're unexpectedly hilarious, because the idea that Hell just sends forth its legions of demons stuffed with shotgun shells and medkits is great. :haw:

More seriously, they're also resource management. Just because they're not picking up ammo from static pickups doesn't remove resource management from the game.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
Oh cool I didn't know Jack Thompson had dyed his hair.