Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

I am so hype for Trinity you have no idea.

I'm just going to outright say you can't trust me to have an unbiased opinion on Scion because I like 2E's lead dev, as a person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm super hype for Scion, and I know that it at least will be miles better than Scion1, since it's almost impossible to be worse in any way.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I do love Scion, their mechanics were junk but it felt far more like a game about playing Godlings than Exalted ever has.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Fans posted:

I do love Scion, their mechanics were junk but it felt far more like a game about playing Godlings than Exalted ever has.

The problem is that Scion used Ex2's base system, but yeah, being the literal offspring of a deity helped considerably, while god blooded in Exalted were usually the scrub children of scrub gods.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:

Bedlamdan posted:

I didn't bring up Beast first, NIV3K did. :saddowns:

And I mean, when most of the discussion is how Ex3 could be handling its KS, yeah Beast is also relevant given its another OPP thingy.

I only meant to bring it up in relation to the different KS strategies. I didn't mean to bring in the actual discussion of what's wrong with Beast into this thread.

As for Sardonyx, it is looking really good me. I'm actually far more excited about it than I am about Ex3. It sounds like it handles high powered systems better than Ex3. I like the stepping back from throwing fistfuls of dice.

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Current holder of the Plush-bum Mr. Sweets Chair in American Hobology
Yeah, my first thought when I saw the Sardonyx preview was that the tiered stuff seemed like it would be great for Exalted, and it made me hope for an eventual fourth edition or competent fan project to port it over to the system.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I still want attribute dice to work differently from skill dice somehow!

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

It'd be pretty cool, and it'd be pretty sweet to have meaningful differentiation between the person who's a natural untrained whiz and somebody whose success comes from a lot of training. The only reason I can see for holding back is fear of adding another layer of complexity to resolution, especially in a game line where each book will probably have a hundred different kinda of magic tricks for PCs to do.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Exalted Thread welcomes all OPP refugees who wish to talk about things other than Beast or Christopher Lee being dead. *nods in a firm manner*

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

If you really want to whine about other threads, you can get on IRC and private message me as I play Splatoon and pretend to pay attention.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Doc Aquatic posted:

If you really want to whine about other threads, you can get on IRC and private message me as I play Splatoon and pretend to pay attention.

Lighten up, Cha :(

Let me break kayfabe to say that I'm not mad about the WoD thread and they can talk about whatever. :shobon:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Realtalk, the reason I'm not more hype for Scion 2E is because the last time I was tentatively optimistic about a new edition of a Storyteller system game about demigods and their over-the-top adventures we got Exalted 3E. Scion is absolutely a game that deserves a much better version, I'm not going to preemptively declare it unsalvagable, but I'm also gonna wait and see what the final game looks like after people with much more investment in stress testing various Storyteller games get done with it.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Ferrinus posted:

I still want attribute dice to work differently from skill dice somehow!

attribuetes are dice, skills are what you roll under.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
I know, variable target numbers, yeah ok. But it works just fine in TBZ.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I'd make all rolls an attribute+attribute check and then your skill adds autosuccesses IF you didn't fail.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
So a system where getting better at something doesn't make you any more likely to succeed at it

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
As long as the difficulty is greater than 1, higher skill is still a higher chance to succeed. It would be strange that your skill makes no difference on the most basic of tasks though.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

You could have it be that for some skills you can't even make a meaningful try if you aren't trained, or at least you only get a chance die. Wasn't that kind of the case in oWoD though? And of course then you have to tier things.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

reignonyourparade posted:

So a system where getting better at something doesn't make you any more likely to succeed at it

You roll when under stress and "roll" but simply take 0 base successes and add your skill when working without pressure. Your success total is read to determine what you can actually accomplish, and more involved tasks demand more successes to actually complete.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

code:
                1		2		3		4		5
2	        1.64 	2.28	        2.92	        3.56 	4.20
3	        2.28	        3.07	        3.85	        4.64	        5.42
4	        2.87	        3.74	        4.61	        5.48	        6.35
5	        3.42	        4.34	        5.27	        6.19	        7.11
6	        3.95	        4.91	        5.86	        6.81	        7.77
7	        4.47	        5.44	        6.42	        7.39	        8.36
8	        4.98	        5.97	        6.95	        7.93	        8.92
9	        5.49	        6.48	        7.47	        8.46	        9.45
10	        5.99	        6.99	        7.98	        8.98	        9.97
Top is Skill
Side is Attribute+Attribute
Assuming Exalted TNs and 1-5 stats

It's not a terrible system, and I don't see any obviously counterintuitive differences, but I don't know that it's actually better than just normal Attribute+ability. It's also harder to intuitively calculate probability for

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Kaza42 posted:

It's also harder to intuitively calculate probability for

That makes it perfect for Exalted 3e.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

You roll when under stress and "roll" but simply take 0 base successes and add your skill when working without pressure. Your success total is read to determine what you can actually accomplish, and more involved tasks demand more successes to actually complete.

Ok but more importantly, can I be an elf in your game.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Good news everyone! The PDFs are coming "soon"!!!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Good news everyone! The PDFs are coming "soon"!!!

But enough about Far West.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

By soon I say at least a month. Also physical backers are still poo poo out of luck. PWNED!!!!

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

By soon I say at least a month. Also physical backers are still poo poo out of luck. PWNED!!!!

They can pirate it like everyone else :V

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I thought all physical backers also got a PDF. Also, hahahaha 'soon'

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

It is the first time anyone official has mentioned a PDF as a thing that might possibly exist at some point in the near future. (Near being relative.) So that's something.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Listen Maria is reviewing interline space this week and it's coming along very nicely this is an important thing and makes for a worthy bi-weekly update for our Exalted 3rd edition book game product.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I thought all physical backers also got a PDF. Also, hahahaha 'soon'

Yeah, physical backers always get the pdf too

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

The most recent update included a tiny, tiny map. Since I didn't see any obvious changes, I shrunk down the one we've had for ages and ran a comparison. Other than minor coastline differences that are most likely due to antialiasing from reducing the dimensions, the only difference I found was the forest in the East changing shades slightly. Progress!

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I'm really looking forward to the formatted PDF. As fun as Ex3 is, running a game out of the leak document is a huge pain in the rear end. All I want is a usable layout and bookmarks. If they do the thing the 13th Age PDFs have where the ToC is full of hyperlinks to the page numbers listed then I'm willing to forgive any three of the things they've done that I think are stupid.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Attorney at Funk posted:

I'm really looking forward to the formatted PDF. As fun as Ex3 is, running a game out of the leak document is a huge pain in the rear end. All I want is a usable layout and bookmarks. If they do the thing the 13th Age PDFs have where the ToC is full of hyperlinks to the page numbers listed then I'm willing to forgive any three of the things they've done that I think are stupid.

Crafts, BP/XP, and maybe Supernal?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Bedlamdan posted:

Crafts, BP/XP, and maybe Supernal?

Honestly I'm quite fond of the actual Craft rules. The Craft charm tree on the other hand...

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Attorney at Funk posted:

Honestly I'm quite fond of the actual Craft rules. The Craft charm tree on the other hand...

Someone ran the numbers offsite and apparently you only need 9 of them to make whatever.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I've been running with the Ex3 rules for a few months now and the only thing I've heard from my Twilight player is "I wish craft weren't so awful". I have to agree because it's even more of a time sink now, I think about 3/4 of that player's game time is spent buried in the craft sub-system instead of actually role-playing. When you want to craft the actual object you want it's not just making A, it's also making B - L so you can have the points to finish it. Then the charms just break the whole thing down the middle and somehow manage to make it even more cumbersome while at the same time twisting it into hot garbage.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

So, i'm annoyed at how sorcerous workings require xp, but i can sorta see why. So, i'll run an alternative idea past you guys:
Sorcerous XP. There's only one kind, not the 58374958 diffrent kinds craft has, and you get it when you discover cool sorcerous stuff. Delve into a first-age ruin and discover their hidden books? sorcerous xp. Disect a demon? Sorcerous XP. Solve the riddle of how to get into a strange first age manse? sorcerous xp. You'd generally not be able to farm it unless, perhaps, you have a game on the scale of years, you should just be able to get it mroe or less naturally in the sort of adventures sorcerers have. It'd also serve to make people more likely to undertake sorcerous workings; seeing 3-4 sorcerous xp on your sheet will make you want to spend them. So, what do people think? (and, as an aside: perhaps you should be able to gain one each time you take an occult charm? to give it more synergy with sorcery?)

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

The craft and sorcerous workings systems really need to be combined into one system in which you can earl appropriately-colored XP from finishing small projects or discovering cool things and then spend it on larger projects, etc.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

The craft and sorcerous workings systems really need to be combined into one system in which you can earl appropriately-colored XP from finishing small projects or discovering cool things and then spend it on larger projects, etc.

Combine it with a general "realm-management" ruleset for rulers and Bureaucracy charms, and now every PC gets to have some kind of downtime fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Bedlamdan posted:

Someone ran the numbers offsite and apparently you only need 9 of them to make whatever.

Is there a link to that? I remember looking at all the roll-affecting charms out there and trying to figure out which were good and which were traps.

• Locked thread