Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Triggered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Gravy Jones posted:

What's the difference between a skill and a perk you can take multiple ranks in?
Its a very important game defining decision that I must decide between 43 small guns and 25 lockpicking or 45 small guns and 23 lockpicking at level up.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

zedprime posted:

Its a very important game defining decision that I must decide between 43 small guns and 25 lockpicking or 45 small guns and 23 lockpicking at level up.

if you don't know which one of those to choose you don't deserve a fallout number four

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Gyshall posted:

Just watched the E3 reveal gameplay trailer and I think Bethesda is actually learning how to improve their games this generation. Game looks great in action.

I guess time will tell but I'm very excited.
"we can't write for poo poo, let's put everything but the kitchen sink in it"

The Saint's Row solution has an actual chance of working (not that GTA had decent writing since san andreas)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Gravy Jones posted:

if you don't know which one of those to choose you don't deserve a fallout number four
So you agree its a very important, intuitive, and empowering system and Todd Howard is literally eviscerating the spirit of the franchise by its removal.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Another thing I noticed is that the Brotherhood was constantly used as an enemy example, so people asking for rear end in a top hat BoS got their wish I guess.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Raygereio posted:

In the shots we've seen of the stats menu during the E3 presentation, there's no Skills submenu. Just SPECIAL & perks. Skills also aren't mentioned anywhere in the SPECIAL descriptions. And there's a shot of a weaponmod recipe requiring Rank 1 in Science (indicating it's a perk you can take multiple ranks in.
All of which points towards Skills not being a thing anymore.

It wasn't a rank in science. It was a rank in Science! Another one was Gun Nut. So there will definitely be perks that play into modding and crafting, but I'm not 100% sure it means skills have been negated yet. That pip boy screenshot isn't promising though.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
I never understood the whinging about how empty and boring New Vegas' world felt. Have any of you actually been in that part of the country? It's pretty goddamned boring and desolate. Obsidian had to do some weird tricks with the geography to make it all fit into such a small area, but I always felt that it was quite faithful to the Mojave setting.

As for Fallout 4, I'm cautiously optimistic. Looks like it's going to have a ton of fun poo poo to play with. I'm disappointed that they seem to have removed skills, and they seem to have done something weird to SPECIAL, too. I presume that we'll be increasing our SPECIAL stats on level up? Assuming a max of 70 points, and you start with 20, that gives you a point per level up for a level cap of 50, which sounds about right.

Voiced Protag. is an issue, as is the locked in origin, but I'm sure someone will make a mod to change that to whatever you want, just like they did for Fallout 3 and New Vegas. I wonder if your character will react to their surroundings, like they did in Fallout 1/2? Like if you ran across some giant ants in 2, your dude would go "Wow, that's a big fuckin' ant." Or how your companions would sometimes say stuff or react to NPCs in New Vegas. I always liked that.

I'm pretty psyched for the modding potential, horse dildo and mole-rat titty mods notwithstanding. I have no doubts that Bethesda will provide an updated GECK, and I'm sure there will be a script extender addon too. So, combine that with the stuff that's already in place and I think any complaints people have, aside from the main story (that no one really cares about after the first playthrough) can and will be addressed.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

gently caress skills, it's an old fossil of pnp games and really brings nothing to the table except for inconvenience and boredom

:can:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I never understood the whinging about how empty and boring New Vegas' world felt. Have any of you actually been in that part of the country? It's pretty goddamned boring and desolate. Obsidian had to do some weird tricks with the geography to make it all fit into such a small area, but I always felt that it was quite faithful to the Mojave setting.

Congratulations, you win actual worst argument in this thread yet.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Looks great; easily 100+ hours of fun.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

- desert is boring
- well it is boring in real life too

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I don't think DC by itself is a lot more interesting either.

Count Canuckula
Oct 22, 2014
I dont get how anyone can say New Vegas was empty. I still play the game even today and find new poo poo. Maybe you mean sparse?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Mordaedil posted:

This has been a really rough thread to catch up on. Mostly due to this fact:

code:
Top posters for thread (max 100)
User			Posts
Anime Schoolgirl	125
-crawlkill		118-
Sharkopath		80
Volkerball		71
Generic Monk		70

That chart only shows that I am Emperor of Posters tyvm

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Bholder posted:

I don't think DC by itself is a lot more interesting either.

it was lots more wacky that's for sure, interesting? idk

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

None of those places are as interesting as Boston, the cultural hub of the universe.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'm all in favour of Skill Points not being tied to Intelligence, but Intelligence as is seems kinda lame.

Yea. If Int is linked to XP generation speed, and Content is locked to Levels, then Content unlocking is directly dependant of Int. That is weird for a RPG. Except if all other skills are linked to leveling, like charisma allowing to get a stream of XP in conversations, and dex allowing you to craft poo poo that give you xp. But them, what is the point of Int again?.

I suppose we will see how the system works in november.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Something else I noticed during the trailers that I haven't seen mention - there were a couple of battles with Synths, pretty much confirming the whole android/Commonwealth thing. Surprising that you are fighting them though (unless it was just to show off).

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
This game looks even worse than I had expected. I mean... The pre-apocalypse stuff just looks... It looks loving terrible. What video are all the optimistic people watching? :(

/nma

.... No, nope. It still looks awful. And that's not even going into the whole "what the hell did they just do to Fallout?" stuff.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

better than fallout 3 (tm)

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

"we can't write for poo poo, let's put everything but the kitchen sink in it"

The Saint's Row solution has an actual chance of working (not that GTA had decent writing since san andreas)

San Andreas was written well?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

cthulhoo posted:

gently caress skills, it's an old fossil of pnp games and really brings nothing to the table except for inconvenience and boredom

:can:

Yeah, hope they do fun stuff with what the Perk Ranks do tho!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lord Lambeth posted:

Nope.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Lambeth posted:

are we gonna start making GBS threads on the most sold game in world history now too

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Lord Lambeth posted:

It was actually funny and clever at points, something GTA4 and 5 didn't even accomplish

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
No, it's not the fact that "skills were removed", it's the fear that skills have been replaced with Skyrim's leveling system where you put a single point into a single thing per level. And then you're totally loving useless in everything you don't put those drip-fed points into.

Skyrim's leveling system suuuuuuuucked. Guess we'll have to wait for SPERG: Fallout 4 Edition to come out before the game is properly playable.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Volkerball posted:

are we gonna start making GBS threads on the most sold game in world history now too

Tetris' story IS pretty flawless.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

sout posted:

"you stack blocks and then go into space" is hands-down the greek tale of our time

Orv
May 4, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

No, it's not the fact that "skills were removed", it's the fear that skills have been replaced with Skyrim's leveling system where you put a single point into a single thing per level. And then you're totally loving useless in everything you don't put those drip-fed points into.

Skyrim's leveling system suuuuuuuucked. Guess we'll have to wait for SPERG: Fallout 4 Edition to come out before the game is properly playable.

Saying a point a level even is somewhat generous depending on how much you decided to gently caress around for the preceding twenty minutes.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I mean people loved Skyrim. It was amazingly pretty, even if the whole story and quests were trash. This game world blows it away in terms of visual interest. Add in things like DOF and the new lighting that Fallout hasn't supported natively and this is just going to be great. The DOF mod made a pretty great improvement to F:NV, and was fantastic in Skyrim.

Pretty much the only concern I have is whether the world map is big enough, and apparently it is bigger than Skyrim and is what they will have been spending most of that 4 years on so it looks likely.

Flaky fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 15, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

sout posted:

why did i think san andreas was the best selling game of all time? i know i saw that somewhere at some time. anyways, that game owned and owned hard.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Volkerball posted:

why did i think san andreas was the best selling game of all time? i know i saw that somewhere at some time. anyways, that game owned and owned hard.

I wanna say it broke first day records?

E: Best selling PS2 game ever you might have been remembering.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I'm fine with this game not having skills (if that is the case), even in Pillars of Eternity, a game made by ~~~OBSIDIAN~~~the skills there are boring as hell

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

Also, they finally answered the question "what do they eat".

That was was never question, the question is how does these set-pieces/locations play into the overall narrative and story of the setting itself, asking 'what do they eat?' is just a fundamental example that caused the narrative to fall apart, because it shows how little thought was put in the setting.

Being able to build your own base doesn't fix that problem people had in Fallout 3, it just shifts the narrative from 'what do they eat' to 'what do you eat'.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

crawlkill posted:

broaden your horizons...into being the most generic real-world American imaginable? if it were a studio with writing talent, I could see it being a point being made on the 1950s prewar aesthetic, but it isn't.

imagine how the broader audience would react if you were required to start out as a divorced gay female-to-male transsexual, unemployed because of his alcoholism, whose kids hated him. YOU might say "you don't need to be like your character to connect to them," but how much currency do you think that argument would carry in general if the default were thoroughly queer?

lol

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Back Hack posted:

That was was never question, the question is how does these set-pieces/locations play into the overall narrative and story of the setting itself, asking 'what do they eat?' is just a fundamental example that caused the narrative to fall apart, because it shows what little thought was put in the setting.

Being able to build your own base doesn't fix that problem people had in Fallout 3, it just shifts the narrative from 'what do they eat' to 'what do you eat'.
You don't eat because you are, plot twist, a replicant.

Just like you aren't actually straight or closeted with a beard and a kid because, plot twist you are a replicant. Something something robotic free will yourself gay. It writes itself.

If they didn't take that route in writing they missed out because its super easy to pretend you are super deep by aping off Asimov or Dick.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The GTA series in general survived on its gameplay, and not on its terrible, terrible writing, like writing that is worse than the worst Bethesda game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Volkerball posted:

It wasn't a rank in science. It was a rank in Science! Another one was Gun Nut. So there will definitely be perks that play into modding and crafting, but I'm not 100% sure it means skills have been negated yet. That pip boy screenshot isn't promising though.

Removing skills makes sense from a streamlining perspective, but since (if it functions as it does in previous games) there's no relationship between stats and perks other than threshold requirements that does toss out things like popping some Mentats to push yourself up to the next skill threshold for science. Also makes the potential modifiers for apparel both more and less enticing. Like, I'd keep a spare +5 repair jumpsuit or +10 science lab coat in FNV. If the skill bonuses get replaced with +perks instead that's a huge deal and certain apparel becomes build-enabling... until you buy the perk yourself, at which point you no longer have any incentive to look like a scientist when doing scientist things. I can see it working out if there's a pool of apparel-only perks that are exclusive to worn items, but at that point it's a long-term limitation instead of an enabler. In general it looks like the tradeoff is a significantly reduced capacity to be what you want in exchange for a significantly increased capacity to build what you want.
I'll be more OK with this than I am if it turns out that some previously stat-based things are now skill- or gear-based, like firearms damage and aim being defined almost entirely by the weapon itself and stealth being measured by moving slowly and not being seen and not wearing 30 pounds of loose cutlery for armor. The latter seems unlikely due to the PC still moving like a marionette with a quarter of its strings cut when viewed from 3rd person, but I can still hope.

• Locked thread