Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

RyokoTK posted:

So, not a thing that Id got right in Doom, but someone else did. Okay, got it.
If I may go off the current topic for a second... you made cool Marathon mods, didn't you? Are there any documents or wikis or Windows-based tools or whatever that provide easy-to-examine information about the Marathon actors? I'm thinking of recreating the Juggernaut as a Reelism boss, but I'm less familiar with that Strange Cousin of a series than I wish I was, and I'd like to at least pretend that it's similar to it's original appearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Like I literally just pointed out, no one's sights are aimed at Doom. The comment was pretty clearly about AAA gaming as a whole. No modern media critic is going to give a poo poo about Doom-4-as-a-Doom-sequel because Doom stopped being relevant 15 years ago; it's just Yet Another Hyper-Violent AAA Game, exactly comparable to the latest Halo or Gears or Call of Duty or Uncharted or etc.

Ah sorry, I had thought there had been a comment from them (or her?) about Doom's violence, specifically. My mistake :shobon:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

RyokoTK posted:

So, not a thing that Id got right in Doom, but someone else did. Okay, got it.

When people are talking about Doom II being really good they usually aren't referring to the 32 levels in the original game.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

arcsig posted:

They're a solution to a problem that never existed, the way oldschool shooters handled it was fine and is part of the reason why people like those games more than modern shooters.

The loot pinatas are only one step above auto-regenerating health.

Actually pickups being on the ground is not the reason why I like Doom, I like Doom because it's fast-paced and has fun guns and fun monsters to blow up, and loads of user-made content for it. I don't give two shits where the ammo comes from. Ammo conservation has never really been an explicitly stated part of Doom's gameplay, certainly no more than it is based on Doom 4's gameplay video. Sure there are wads that make you count out each shell, but that is absolutely a minority.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

The Kins posted:

If I may go off the current topic for a second... you made cool Marathon mods, didn't you? Are there any documents or wikis or Windows-based tools or whatever that provide easy-to-examine information about the Marathon actors? I'm thinking of recreating the Juggernaut as a Reelism boss, but I'm less familiar with that Strange Cousin of a series than I wish I was, and I'd like to at least pretend that it's similar to it's original appearance.

Honestly probably the easiest way to figure that out is just to play the game and estimate their mechanics based on that. There are editors to change their behavior but it's all in numbers, so it's meaningless without context.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Lemon Curdistan posted:

They really don't; non-violent "mainstream"/AAA games are essentially non-existent outside of maybe some of Nintendo's output.
Skylanders seem pretty big nowadays.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Woolie Wool posted:

Try playing maps with actual ammo balance some day. It's a thing that exists, you know.

Most WADs out there have much more ammo than is needed to kill all the monsters. Usually a lot of it gets eaten up by the fact that you can still collect ammo pickups even when you're just 1 bullet short of full, so most of the pickup goes to waste.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Scripted executions are dumb and boring. Differing deaths animations based on weapon and direction are good and fun. Make it based on health threshold.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

RyokoTK posted:

Have you played Doom? Resource management is not actually an issue, even on UV you never run out of ammo unless you're very bad or you're speedrunning and deliberately skipping stuff.
Play maps from a pistol start.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

More seriously, they're also resource management. Just because they're not picking up ammo from static pickups doesn't remove resource management from the game.

If you think they're going to hand-craft the ammo and weapon and health pickups that each enemy encounter drops versus just setting a big loot table with percentages like "20% chance to get shotgun shells" and then just relying on RNG, you have way more faith in modern game development than I do.

Its a lazy crutch which makes the game less exciting. May as well have regenerating health. (And ammo :doh:)

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

RyokoTK posted:

Actually pickups being on the ground is not the reason why I like Doom, I like Doom because it's fast-paced and has fun guns and fun monsters to blow up, and loads of user-made content for it. I don't give two shits where the ammo comes from. Ammo conservation has never really been an explicitly stated part of Doom's gameplay, certainly no more than it is based on Doom 4's gameplay video. Sure there are wads that make you count out each shell, but that is absolutely a minority.

So ammo conservation has to be discussed at length in the manual for you to accept that it exists? You really are retarded. I played Doom in an era before mouse controls and wikis telling you where the secrets are and ammo was absolutely a concern. Doom 4 appears dead set on making sure nothing you do has consequences beyond the next five minutes. It's a sterilized, soulless form of game design but it has become orthodoxy for almost all action games.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Woolie Wool posted:

So ammo conservation has to be discussed at length in the manual for you to accept that it exists? You really are retarded. I played Doom in an era before mouse controls and wikis telling you where the secrets are and ammo was absolutely a concern. Doom 4 appears dead set on making sure nothing you do has consequences beyond the next five minutes. It's a sterilized, soulless form of game design but it has become orthodoxy for almost all action games.

thanks for posting :bravo:

this thread is awful.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

"Major AAA publisher chooses to open E3 by showing hyperviolent game" isn't something that exists in a contextless vacuum. Video games do a lot of violence and don't do non-violent gameplay very often, and "major publisher shows off major new instalment in franchise all about murdering things" says something about the state of video games as a whole.

It's not like critics going "hey, wouldn't it be nice if we had more games that are about things other than shooting things" is new. It's pretty hilarious seeing nerds getting upset and reacting as if the comment is aimed at Doom specifically and that therefore the ~evil feminists~ are out to destroy their childhood, rather than Anita Sarkeesian making a comment about the entire gaming industry.

That doesn't say anything at all about the gaming industry, and plenty of nonviolent games already exist. Complaining about the violence in Doom, saying that it's disgusting and ought to not exist is the exact same poo poo that happened two decades ago from people like Joe Lieberman. It's moral majority nonsense and everybody except Feminist Frequency's sycophants sees it for what it is now.

On another note, people talking about Doom being a fast-paced twitch shooter because their main experience with it is with the metric ton of mods and changes through gameplay-changing wads and source ports need to shut the gently caress up

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

RyokoTK posted:

thanks for posting :bravo:

this thread is awful.

So do you, like, not have any actual response to the points being made, or did you just feel like shitposting to make your argument look weaker?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

esselfortium posted:

So do you, like, not have any actual response to the points being made, or did you just feel like shitposting to make your argument look weaker?

You realize he's the one that called me retarded and blew me off, right?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Woolie Wool posted:

I played Doom in an era before mouse controls and wikis telling you where the secrets are and ammo was absolutely a concern.

So you played Doom a decade before it was out?
No, ammo was never really a concern in Doom since you could just go look for it rather than constantly be pushed forward for reasons of [cinematic gameplay and catering to ADD].

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Korendian Leader posted:

Play maps from a pistol start.

In Doom, this is generally considered hard mode. I sure don't bother with it.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

See, you might be joking, but it really isn't. Obviously, Hatred's whole 'thing' is that you become some angry jackass who loves to murder everyone, whether they want to hurt you or not. Doom, like I have to explain this to anyone, is not about that at all. Context is everything.

EDIT: Come to think of it, as odd as it sounds, you COULD switch up the story so that Doomguy is the military chaplain that was stationed on the base, everyone dies, and you've got to save the world. Wouldn't change anything as like I said, you're fighting an absolute evil, literally ridding the world and hell of demons.

poo poo, this is how I'm going to play Doom from now on. Doomguy's kicking rear end for the lord.

Doom is the perfect game for Christians. Secular humans and their meddling in forces they have no way of comprehending have hosed everything up and you need to save them.

If I recall correctly there's a part in the Bible where Jesus has to go to Hell and he rips the gates off with his bare hands to save the unbaptized or whatever and I imagine Doom is like this

arcsig
May 29, 2015

RyokoTK posted:

You're talking mostly about ammo but my issue is actually more regarding health. There were numerous times in the demo where the player was at low health and a single monster would bring him back to full.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

im glad the new doom game broke the early fps thread

truly the legacy of brutal doom is strong

at least its not the call of doomty version they scrapped

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

arcsig posted:

You're talking mostly about ammo but my issue is actually more regarding health. There were numerous times in the demo where the player was at low health and a single monster would bring him back to full.

This is fair, but on the other hand Imp fireballs were doing pretty chunky amounts of damage.

The real issue that I have with regenerating health is that it rewards cowardice -- stand in a corner behind a box where no one can see you, and now your health is full. At least here, you have to be aggressive and keep attacking in order to recover health.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

What WAD is this? I hope it's not a Terry Trap. I want to play it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

If you think they're going to hand-craft the ammo and weapon and health pickups that each enemy encounter drops versus just setting a big loot table with percentages like "20% chance to get shotgun shells" and then just relying on RNG, you have way more faith in modern game development than I do.

I don't, no, but I expect they're going to have enemies drop a fixed amount of resources. "Murdering enemy X without expending more resources than it drops" is resource management.

Of course I could totally be wrong in that assumption, and it's not like any of us have access to actual gameplay that wasn't just put together for a big E3 press conference. :(

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I'm really impressed that everyone's freaking out about game mechanics that are already in classic shooters. Blood already had the enemies dropping health thing and it worked there, Doom has always had enemies that exist entirely to give ammo gathering some basic challenge, it's just taking these ideas and modernizing them a bit more. It's also worth noting that these e3 demos are always played on the lowest difficulty with lots of cheats and scripts to keep the presenter from dying, so I wouldn't assume that the current pickup balance is final.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Arivia posted:

It's MAP29 of Sunlust. Play it imo

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/68089-sunlust-betar1-released/

quote:

Sunlust is a set of 32 boom-compatible maps for Doom II created by myself and Dannebubinga, designed to be played from pistol start.
:frogc00l:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Elliotw2 posted:

I'm really impressed that everyone's freaking out about game mechanics that are already in classic shooters. Blood already had the enemies dropping health thing and it worked there, Doom has always had enemies that exist entirely to give ammo gathering some basic challenge, it's just taking these ideas and modernizing them a bit more. It's also worth noting that these e3 demos are always played on the lowest difficulty with lots of cheats and scripts to keep the presenter from dying, so I wouldn't assume that the current pickup balance is final.

But it's not exactly how Our Lord and Savior DOOM did it! These developers don't know how to make a game!

e: ^ Sunlust is Very Good.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 15, 2015

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

arcsig posted:

They're a solution to a problem that never existed, the way oldschool shooters handled it was fine and is part of the reason why people like those games more than modern shooters.

The loot pinatas are only one step above auto-regenerating health.

I don't have that strong of an opinion about the trailer but I do call bullshit about the "loot pinata" thing. Having health spew out of enemies is not only leagues better than regenerating health, but is a fantastic way of encouraging a very certain sort of playstyle. Regenerating health sucks because it encourages you to hide and not play the game to survive. Health in enemies encourages you to be a demon smashing freight train because the way you heal is by killing things. It would encourage a very doomy, kinetic sort of gameplay.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Arivia posted:

surprised you'd want to play a wad with such clear ableism (not everyone has the flexibility required to gently caress themselves)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

"We've taken a lot of time to discuss a brand new, not-yet-released FPS in the Early FPS Megathread. Maybe we should talk about Corridor7 or something"
/
:backtowork:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Segmentation Fault posted:

surprised you'd want to play a wad with such clear ableism (not everyone has the flexibility required to gently caress themselves)

Go gently caress yourself.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

my bony fealty posted:

im glad the new doom game broke the early fps thread

truly the legacy of brutal doom is strong

at least its not the call of doomty version they scrapped

We would have been better off if it were

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Arivia posted:

Go gently caress yourself.

reported for ableism

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Is Sunlust.wad problematic?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Alain Post posted:

Is Sunlust.wad problematic?

the file name appropriates sun worshipper culture

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Elliotw2 posted:

I haven't played a whole lot of Blood but I don't remember enemies dropping nearly as much health as seen in this demo. But your point about the pickup balance stands.

I'm mainly just concerned that it will discourage map exploration by making health pickups less important (if they even exist? I don't recall seeing a single health pack in that demo outside of monster pinatas), and that kind of change makes me skeptical about the level design in general.

I hope it doesn't come off like I hate the game because of this though because it looks pretty fun and I'll probably buy it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

arcsig posted:

I haven't played a whole lot of Blood but I don't remember enemies dropping nearly as much health as seen in this demo. But your point about the pickup balance stands.

I'm mainly just concerned that it will discourage map exploration by making health pickups less important (if they even exist? I don't recall seeing a single health pack in that demo outside of monster pinatas), and that kind of change makes me skeptical about the level design in general.

I hope it doesn't come off like I hate the game because of this though because it looks pretty fun and I'll probably buy it.

I think map exploration is going to be discouraged by the fact that it's a modern FPS and it just won't have any to begin with.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Amethyst posted:

It rules that all of the people in this thread who complained that brutal doom would ruin the game forever turned out to be 100% correct.

Yeah it's kind of hilarious how this game is shaping up to provide ammunition to both sides of the Brutal Doom argument. The "makers" of Doom are agreeing that Doom needs more gore and fatalities. It's the ultimate validation.

Personally I agree that the enemies look too bland at the moment. I don't get why they're all gray. And it looks like they kind of just run at the player so he can shoot/tear them, rather than the intriguing balance of hitscan and projectile attacks with the occasional pinky demon to keep you on your toes. Hopefully the full game will remedy that.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Sir Lemming posted:

Personally I agree that the enemies look too bland at the moment. I don't get why they're all gray.

It's wakkie nu nu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Glagha posted:

I don't have that strong of an opinion about the trailer but I do call bullshit about the "loot pinata" thing. Having health spew out of enemies is not only leagues better than regenerating health, but is a fantastic way of encouraging a very certain sort of playstyle. Regenerating health sucks because it encourages you to hide and not play the game to survive. Health in enemies encourages you to be a demon smashing freight train because the way you heal is by killing things. It would encourage a very doomy, kinetic sort of gameplay.

Yeah I like it too. Only thing that looks a bit lame is the chainsaw.